LSU VS Tulane Football Renewal of Rivalry

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sunamiwave wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:31 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:31 pm Win games. Period. We're not even close to .500 in CWF's tenure. Back to back bowl wins in BS bowls means NOTHING. It's almost like a participation trophy. Take the next step, then lets talk. But the next step is a big one that very, very few Tulane football teams have ever taken. We're approaching mediocre. Let's surpass that milestone and never look back.
The Tulane LSU football series if negotiations happen and are successful would probably not happen for another 7 or 8 years based on current open dates for both schools. It’s not like if we become really good and win an AAC championship that we can get LSU on our schedule within a couple of years. Yes we need to keep getting better as a football program like Fritz and Dannen are trying to do but that has nothing to do with whether we should schedule LSU. It is almost impossible to know what type of condition our football program will be in that far out in the future.
I agree with everything your post states except for the 7 or 8 years out in the future part. IF (and that's a big IF) there was a desire to renew the rivalry it could happen in the next 2-5 years, but I don't think the powers that be are anxious to do so. Yes, it would require rescheduling non conference games, I don't argue that. But that's a speed bump if both sides wanted to make it happen. I just don't think they do.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:31 pm Win games. Period. We're not even close to .500 in CWF's tenure. Back to back bowl wins in BS bowls means NOTHING. It's almost like a participation trophy. Take the next step, then lets talk. But the next step is a big one that very, very few Tulane football teams have ever taken. We're approaching mediocre. Let's surpass that milestone and never look back.
I agree however, the benefits from playing LSU would help us in making the jump you describe. Money cures a good deal of issues. It would easily be our biggest game of the year from buzz and revenue perspective . . . And imagine a win 😳🤯
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Aegis wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:03 pm Wife and I were in Tulsa 4 or so years back for our game there. OU was Tulsa’s next home game. I asked Tulsa fans about OU playing at Tulsa, they said OU had no problem playing at Tulsa. I explained to them about LSU not wanting to play at Tulane or any other in state school. They seemed shocked to hear LSU would not play TU in NOLA. Said OU would come to NO for the game. We shall see.
The difference in Oklahoma folks and at LSU. It amuses me their previous AD sold their base on how evil Tulane was for “gauging” fans. Troy really should have corrected that narrative more quickly and forcefully.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:50 pm
Aegis wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:03 pm Wife and I were in Tulsa 4 or so years back for our game there. OU was Tulsa’s next home game. I asked Tulsa fans about OU playing at Tulsa, they said OU had no problem playing at Tulsa. I explained to them about LSU not wanting to play at Tulane or any other in state school. They seemed shocked to hear LSU would not play TU in NOLA. Said OU would come to NO for the game. We shall see.
The difference in Oklahoma folks and at LSU. It amuses me their previous AD sold their base on how evil Tulane was for “gauging” fans. Troy really should have corrected that narrative more quickly and forcefully.
Gouging fans?
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

My spell check had an LSU literacy moment, my apologies.
Eaglewave
Swell

Please! They lied to you. Oklahoma has only played at Tulsa 4 times in the past 40 years. Yes, they have a problem with playing in Tulsa.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

LSU has no intentions on renewing a rivalry with a program has on Bowl Game training wheels. Things have changed since the consistent days of seeing the Battle for the Rag. The rivalry hasn’t been shined on us since the 1979-1984 seasons. That 5 year series (Tulane 3 LSU 2 wins) span brought life to a rivalry that Tulane hadn’t seen back to back wins in since 1938! Some of you already understand that LSU gives two shits about our former SIAA, SoCon and SEC history together. That was a different time, different era, and different money!

In the modern era of college football, we haven’t done a damn thing when we have went to Baton Rouge or at home. We have had multiple chances to make noise vs LSU, and our own leadership has failed our fans and ran off LSU’s interest. We gain plenty by getting them in New Orleans and praying to pull of what would be major upsets, but LSU gains nothing coming to NOLA to smack us around the same way many other G5 teams have done in the last few decades. Dreaming to renew a rivalry that we haven’t led since somewhere around 1939, (a totally different world), is ridiculous.

We have been struggling to have consistent winning seasons and fans for decades. We are who we are at this point. Who are we? A program that hasn’t seen back to back to back 7 win seasons since 1931! (Please correct me if I am wrong.) Since 1981, I only would have put my money on the 1998 team to beat LSU.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

We have to continue to win if we want to be able to wear a tie to the negation table with LSU. I am glad they owe us a game in New Orleans, but in order to make it happen and then talk about another series, we have to win more games!

In the last 20 years, I picked Scelfo 2002, CJ’s 2013 and Willie’s 2019 teams to win 9 games. All of those fun teams showed us that we still have work to do if we want big time college football at Tulane. Until we get there, we can’t expect much from a powerhouse football program out of the SEC.

Once Fritz starts bringing in 8+ win seasons on a consistent basis, we will get better deals. Right now, I would be happy just to see LSU on the schedule. Baton Rouge, Yulman or The Dome no matter what the deal is. 7-6 seasons don’t give you much time to talk at the negotiation table, but it can get you a seat. Just win baby.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:45 am LSU has no intentions on renewing a rivalry with a program has on Bowl Game training wheels. Things have changed since the consistent days of seeing the Battle for the Rag. The rivalry hasn’t been shined on us since the 1979-1984 seasons. That 5 year series (Tulane 3 LSU 2 wins) span brought life to a rivalry that Tulane hadn’t seen back to back wins in since 1938! Some of you already understand that LSU gives two shits about our former SIAA, SoCon and SEC history together. That was a different time, different era, and different money!

In the modern era of college football, we haven’t done a damn thing when we have went to Baton Rouge or at home. We have had multiple chances to make noise vs LSU, and our own leadership has failed our fans and ran off LSU’s interest. We gain plenty by getting them in New Orleans and praying to pull of what would be major upsets, but LSU gains nothing coming to NOLA to smack us around the same way many other G5 teams have done in the last few decades. Dreaming to renew a rivalry that we haven’t led since somewhere around 1939, (a totally different world), is ridiculous.

We have been struggling to have consistent winning seasons and fans for decades. We are who we are at this point. Who are we? A program that hasn’t seen back to back to back 7 win seasons since 1931! (Please correct me if I am wrong.) Since 1981, I only would have put my money on the 1998 team to beat LSU.
We had 7+ win seasons back to back in 97-98.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:52 am We have to continue to win if we want to be able to wear a tie to the negation table with LSU. I am glad they owe us a game in New Orleans, but in order to make it happen and then talk about another series, we have to win more games!

In the last 20 years, I picked Scelfo 2002, CJ’s 2013 and Willie’s 2019 teams to win 9 games. All of those fun teams showed us that we still have work to do if we want big time college football at Tulane. Until we get there, we can’t expect much from a powerhouse football program out of the SEC.

Once Fritz starts bringing in 8+ win seasons on a consistent basis, we will get better deals. Right now, I would be happy just to see LSU on the schedule. Baton Rouge, Yulman or The Dome no matter what the deal is. 7-6 seasons don’t give you much time to talk at the negotiation table, but it can get you a seat. Just win baby.
When was the last time we had back to back 8 win seasons? How often have we done that in our history? How often have we done it post WWII? If you follow the link below, it's pretty sad. We've done it 3 times, once in the 1920's and 2x in the 30's when we had 3 consecutive seasons of 8+ wins.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... index.html

If, as has been suggested, we need to wait a couple of decades to build a fan base and winning program before we can approach LSU about our old rivalry, I've seen my last Tulane vs. LSU football game.

LSU plays one in-state opponent this season, and 2 next year. Last season they played one, and in 2018 they played two. Who says LSU won't play in state teams? They won't give any a 1 for 1 deal, why should they? They hold the trump cards.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As I posted earlier their AD was clear that they will not play us in a home and home series so it's not happening unfortunately. Thank you to all all of you incompetent presidents,AD's and coaches who put us in this situation.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:39 am
Please! They lied to you. Oklahoma has only played at Tulsa 4 times in the past 40 years. Yes, they have a problem with playing in Tulsa.
Eagle, Oklahoma has played 10 times at Tulsa for its rivalry with the Golden Hurricanes. Since 2000, OU has played at Tulsa 3 times - 2002, 2007 & 2014. Tulsa last beat OU 31 to 24 in 1996; that game was played at Norman. http://www.winsipedia.com/games/oklahoma/vs/tulsa

We last played ‘dem Tiggers in 2009 and lost 42 to 0 at B.R. And, of course, for that game “Buffet Bob” Toledo ran right at them other than for one or two of his patented “gadget plays” no one on LSWho came even close to “biting for.” The 2009 Tulane-LSU game was a joke. The score could have been whatever LSU wanted it to be for the game.
LSWho has won its last 18 games against the Wave. http://www.winsipedia.com/tulane/vs/lsu
We are still a work in progress for returning to competitive status for Div. 1 football. We are now recruiting on the same level as Cincy, Memphis & UCF. Let’s conquer the AAC and then things for return to a rivalry with LSWho might just “take care of themselves.”
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:50 am
Eaglewave wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:39 am
Eagle, Oklahoma has played 10 times at Tulsa for its rivalry with the Golden Hurricanes. Since 2000, OU has played at Tulsa 3 times - 2002, 2007 & 2014. Tulsa last beat OU 31 to 24 in 1996; that game was played at Norman. http://www.winsipedia.com/games/oklahoma/vs/tulsa

We last played ‘dem Tiggers in 2009 and lost 42 to 0 at B.R. And, of course, for that game “Buffet Bob” Toledo ran right at them other than for one or two of his patented “gadget plays” no one on LSWho came even close to “biting for.” The 2009 Tulane-LSU game was a joke. The score could have been whatever LSU wanted it to be for the game.
LSWho has won its last 18 games against the Wave. http://www.winsipedia.com/tulane/vs/lsu
We are still a work in progress for returning to competitive status for Div. 1 football. We are now recruiting on the same level as Cincy, Memphis & UCF. Let’s conquer the AAC and then things for return to a rivalry with LSWho might just “take care of themselves.”

Wave755, I understand, but it’s still only 4 games at Tulsa in the past 40 years! That’s not impressive. Hell, LSU has been to New Orleans more than that in the past 40 years. Playing at Tulsa 10 times since 1914 doesn’t scream “we have no problem with playing at Tulsa.” Trust me, I know several Tulsa folks who bitch about Oklahoma not scheduling the game consistently with them and the fact that Oklahoma doesn’t sit at the negotiation table for a long time when Tulsa is having success.

At the end of the day, we need to start winning 8 to 10 games consistently and put some butts in the seats. If we can do this, then we can start picking a fight with LSU. I honestly think that we might see an LSU game scheduled if Fritz can pull off a 8-9 win season and bowl win.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

Can anyone tell me why Southern University is acting like LSU is opening the Gates of Heaven! OMG! I was reading some comments here and there, and it’s like they don’t realize that we have scheduled them more than any other FBS in the state. The Grambling fans seem to be upset with their administration for agreeing to play LSU. They are talking a lot of “they were the Louisiana FBS that never reached out, so why now” talk.

I am a bit surprised that Southern and Grambling will play LSU in the next 3 years and we don’t have any dates with the Tigers.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:26 am Can anyone tell me why Southern University is acting like LSU is opening the Gates of Heaven! OMG! I was reading some comments here and there, and it’s like they don’t realize that we have scheduled them more than any other FBS in the state. The Grambling fans seem to be upset with their administration for agreeing to play LSU. They are talking a lot of “they were the Louisiana FBS that never reached out, so why now” talk.

I am a bit surprised that Southern and Grambling will play LSU in the next 3 years and we don’t have any dates with the Tigers.
lsu has opened the "PC" gates, and the Grambling fans see it
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:23 am
Eaglewave wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:52 am We have to continue to win if we want to be able to wear a tie to the negation table with LSU. I am glad they owe us a game in New Orleans, but in order to make it happen and then talk about another series, we have to win more games!

When was the last time we had back to back 8 win seasons? How often have we done that in our history? How often have we done it post WWII? If you follow the link below, it's pretty sad. We've done it 3 times, once in the 1920's and 2x in the 30's when we had 3 consecutive seasons of 8+ wins.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... index.html

If, as has been suggested, we need to wait a couple of decades to build a fan base and winning program before we can approach LSU about our old rivalry, I've seen my last Tulane vs. LSU football game.

LSU plays one in-state opponent this season, and 2 next year. Last season they played one, and in 2018 they played two. Who says LSU won't play in state teams? They won't give any a 1 for 1 deal, why should they? They hold the trump cards.
Seems like we keep moving the goal posts to prove this point. May as well askHow many times have we won 9 games back to back ? ;) We are a respectable program at this point. We don’t need to become LSU or a G5 version of them before we can schedule them. The attention & revenue would help push us towards back to back 8 win seasons Or whatever benchmark)
RobertM320
Green Wave

They may be like participation trophies, but we were at a point where we weren't even close to getting participation trophies. No matter what anyone's opinion is of where they think we should be, NO ONE can disagree that we're several magnitudes better than where we were in 2015.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
MicMan
Swell

No way LSU will play TU until we start paying our strength coach $800,000 a year. L:ike Iowa.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Unless Tulane either is willing to market Louisiana recruits to nationally relevant P5s by allowing them to co-host camps or joins an access (power) conference, it should give up the idea of ever playing LSU In football through a home and home agreement. It doesn’t matter what Tulane does otherwise- winning doesn’t matter, rankings don’t matter, and budget doesn’t matte.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:14 pm Unless Tulane either is willing to market Louisiana recruits to nationally relevant P5s by allowing them to co-host camps or joins an access (power) conference, it should give up the idea of ever playing LSU In football through a home and home agreement. It doesn’t matter what Tulane does otherwise- winning doesn’t matter, rankings don’t matter, and budget doesn’t matte.
I not only agree, but think we should ask Alabama to come to New Orleans and have Nick Saban instead of Ed O as the co-host. No problem inviting Ohio State, Michigan, ND, OU, USC,, etc. Force LSU's hand not just for camps but for games. Do we deserve a 1 for 1? No. But we could play them 1 in Tiger Stadium and 1 in the Dome every few years, to call off the out of town recruiters.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:48 am
They may be like participation trophies, but we were at a point where we weren't even close to getting participation trophies. No matter what anyone's opinion is of where they think we should be, NO ONE can disagree that we're several magnitudes better than where we were in 2015.
Depends upon what you define as a "magnitude." is 7 wins (with an extra game) really that much better than 4? We've improved. To approaching mediocre. But we're still far from a team that has a sniff at a NY6 game. Or a team that could be competitive against a top SEC/B1G/Big 12 team.
wave97
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:24 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:57 am LSU playing Rice in Houston, is not a road game, since Katrina Houston is nothing more than Louisiana west....lsu signed 22...only 6 were from Louisiana....soon lsu will be playin' SMU at Jerry World
Lsu playing in New Orleans isn’t a road game either.
It would be a home game for LSU in the dome. If Tulane seats 30k that would be a sea change for us. Think of all the facilities 70 million dollars could buy.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:50 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:14 pm Unless Tulane either is willing to market Louisiana recruits to nationally relevant P5s by allowing them to co-host camps or joins an access (power) conference, it should give up the idea of ever playing LSU In football through a home and home agreement. It doesn’t matter what Tulane does otherwise- winning doesn’t matter, rankings don’t matter, and budget doesn’t matte.
I not only agree, but think we should ask Alabama to come to New Orleans and have Nick Saban instead of Ed O as the co-host. No problem inviting Ohio State, Michigan, ND, OU, USC,, etc. Force LSU's hand not just for camps but for games. Do we deserve a 1 for 1? No. But we could play them 1 in Tiger Stadium and 1 in the Dome every few years, to call off the out of town recruiters.
I completely agree and proposed Inviting Florida (or any of LSU’s SEC rivals or national blue bloods you mentioned) to come play us in the dome and run camps with us. We know that LSU is sensitive to that threat. It’s ludicrous for someone to believe playing a Home and Dome series with LSU getting whatever % of gate (maybe close to half) isn’t a fair deal. And if LSU says no and wants to go do that in Houston with Rice, let’s pay them back the favor in New Orleans with some of their rivals.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 663f2.html

Expanded quotes and info from LSU AD here. He says they’re open to one offs, it really sounds like they only want to play in BR. There’s an obnoxious subtext to the article from the author. Everything is so pro LSU and demeaning to us. What a joke
Wave QB
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:24 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:57 am LSU playing Rice in Houston, is not a road game, since Katrina Houston is nothing more than Louisiana west....lsu signed 22...only 6 were from Louisiana....soon lsu will be playin' SMU at Jerry World
Lsu playing in New Orleans isn’t a road game either.
Southern playing in New Orleans isn’t a road game either.
:lol: