P5/6 breakaway from NCAA?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

CBS Sports Network is reporting an increasing likelihood that the P5 will breakaway from the NCAA--all stemming from the financial crisis resulting from the pandemic. The good news is that the article suggests that the 65 P5 schools may well expand to 90 to 100 schools for scheduling purposes, and that the AAC is at the front of the line. It will be interesting to see if Tulane is ready to take the big step. In the meantime, the NCAA continues to look more and more like a walking dead man.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

How much would the "access conference" designation really make a difference for the AAC if the conference is not receiving nearly as much media money as the other access conferences?

Sure, those conference could guarantee the AAC champ a spot in a major conference bowl (likely against the ACC champ), but that's a big part of the benefits to being part of that group. What about the money that the AAC isn’t getting?
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Wed May 27, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The funny thing is the P5 schools, despite their HUGE advantage in TV money, still make most of their Athletics Departments budgets from Football game day related revenue. Season tickets, seat licenses, concessions, parking, and merchandising dwarf, at most schools, the TV dollars. TXA&M makes $100 million from game day revenue, and their probably middle of the pack for the SEC.

There's very few G5 programs that could come close to dwarfing their TV money. Maybe UCF, Boise State, and BYU. I'm sure there's a few others (Notre Dame if you want to call them an indendant) but not many at all.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:12 pm The funny thing is the P5 schools, despite their HUGE advantage in TV money, still make most of their Athletics Departments budgets from Football game day related revenue. Season tickets, seat licenses, concessions, parking, and merchandising dwarf, at most schools, the TV dollars. TXA&M makes $100 million from game day revenue, and their probably middle of the pack for the SEC.

There's very few G5 programs that could come close to dwarfing their TV money. Maybe UCF, Boise State, and BYU. I'm sure there's a few others (Notre Dame if you want to call them an indendant) but not many at all.
Therein is the answer to your question about the money that the AAC would or wouldn’t get. Probably no big boost even if we become the official P6–it will come down to the revenue that each conference and school can generate. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if in conjunction with a P5/6 departure from the NCAA that a whole new revenue allocation system doesn’t surface. The P5 parasites of the past may be no better off than the AAC schools when it’s all said and done. It’s clear that it’s all about the money now more than ever. The C-19 pandemic will accelerate many societal changes, and it’s likely that one will be the end of the Football Factories willingness to subsidize the second tier schools in each P5 conference. Bringing in an additional 30 schools or so, for scheduling purposes will end any leverage that the P5 parasites have had in recent years.
ajcalhoun
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:48 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:12 pm The P5 parasites of the past may be no better off than the AAC schools when it’s all said and done. It’s clear that it’s all about the money now more than ever. The C-19 pandemic will accelerate many societal changes, and it’s likely that one will be the end of the Football Factories willingness to subsidize the second tier schools in each P5 conference. Bringing in an additional 30 schools or so, for scheduling purposes will end any leverage that the P5 parasites have had in recent years.
I'm curious as to whom you consider to be P5 parasites? What standards do you use?

I'm not arguing with you. There's not a doubt in my mind that every P5 has at least a few but how sre they defined?

Do you judge them by their athletic success or do you judge them by their fan support?

There is a difference between being a bottom-feeder and a parasite.

To me conference bottom-feeders like current Arkansas or Texas Tech, both of whom have rabid fan bases that fill (or come close to filling) their stadiums aren't parasites but contributing conference members. Not everyone can win all of the time.

To me a parasite is a team that does not have fan support. If you can't fill half your stadium you just might be a parasite.

I just do not see a single team from the G5 that would be seen as an improvement to a P5 over their current bottom-feeders.

I'd like to hear y'all's opinions and I will be happy to be disagreed with.

Please bring on your candidates for parasite status and whom you'd replace them with.

Also, I think I used "whom" correctly but, hell, I don't know.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:07 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:48 pm The P5 parasites of the past may be no better off than the AAC schools when it’s all said and done. It’s clear that it’s all about the money now more than ever. The C-19 pandemic will accelerate many societal changes, and it’s likely that one will be the end of the Football Factories willingness to subsidize the second tier schools in each P5 conference. Bringing in an additional 30 schools or so, for scheduling purposes will end any leverage that the P5 parasites have had in recent years.
I'm curious as to whom you consider to be P5 parasites? What standards do you use?

I'm not arguing with you. There's not a doubt in my mind that every P5 has at least a few but how sre they defined?

Do you judge them by their athletic success or do you judge them by their fan support?

To me conference bottom-feeders like current Arkansas or Texas Tech, both of whom have rabid fan bases that fill (or come close to filling) their stadiums aren't parasites but contributing conference members. Not everyone can win all of the time.

To me a parasite is a team that does not have fan support. If you can't fill half your stadium you just might be a parasite.

I just do not see a single team from the G5 that would be seen as an improvement to a P5 over their current bottom-feeders.

Please bring on your candidates for parasite status and whom you'd replace them with.

Notice I correctly attributed the quotes to the proper poster!

I don't think there are many, if any, parasites in the P5's. I do think there's bottom feeders. I may be wrong, but I think that other than gate receipts the rest of game day revenues are kept by the home team. I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt doesn't make a penny on concessions, merchandise, seat licenses, parking, etc when it visits LSU. Of course there is a sharing of post season revenues across any and all sports that generate any. And the participants get their travel and meal expenses before any split.

Most of the P5 schools have pretty solid fan bases, even those that never win their conference. That's why I wouldn't call them "parasites." They're generating more revenue without the TV money taken into account than most G5 schools including G5 TV money.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:12 pm The P5 parasites of the past may be no better off than the AAC schools when it’s all said and done. It’s clear that it’s all about the money now more than ever. The C-19 pandemic will accelerate many societal changes, and it’s likely that one will be the end of the Football Factories willingness to subsidize the second tier schools in each P5 conference. Bringing in an additional 30 schools or so, for scheduling purposes will end any leverage that the P5 parasites have had in recent years.

I agree more with your definition. Ultimately, it’s all about the money, and what revenue a school can generate, as opposed to how competitive they may be on the field. So I would define P5 Parasite as those schools whose fan support and revenue generation (apart from their conference allocations) is not much different that the upper half of the G5. And in many cases, the better G5 schools out perform them on the field. Most these P5 parasites have hung on because of tradition, and the need for scheduling (for all sports) and to fatten the football win-loss record of the Football Factories. But with any grand separation from the NCAA and/or expansion in “P” designated schools, the Football Factories will make another money grab, as they now need the extra dollars—relegating the P5 parasites into the same category as the former G5, but new P5/6 schools. It’s reasonable that all schools will get a place at the trough based on what they can generate from their own fan bases. Even if most G5 schools don’t get a big boost in revenue, they at least won’t have to recruit against the P5 brand any longer.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Looks like the vertical green line, which attributes quotes, is messed up.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:19 am

I agree more with your definition. Ultimately, it’s all about the money, and what revenue a school can generate, as opposed to how competitive they may be on the field. So I would define P5 Parasite as those schools whose fan support and revenue generation (apart from their conference allocations) is not much different that the upper half of the G5. And in many cases, the better G5 schools out perform them on the field. Most these P5 parasites have hung on because of tradition, and the need for scheduling (for all sports) and to fatten the football win-loss record of the Football Factories. But with any grand separation from the NCAA and/or expansion in “P” designated schools, the Football Factories will make another money grab, as they now need the extra dollars—relegating the P5 parasites into the same category as the former G5, but new P5/6 schools. It’s reasonable that all schools will get a place at the trough based on what they can generate from their own fan bases. Even if most G5 schools don’t get a big boost in revenue, they at least won’t have to recruit against the P5 brand any longer.
Which schools fall into your parasite category? Heck, even Vanderbilt generates about $30 million before it takes a penny of SEC TV money.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:01 am
HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:48 pm The P5 parasites of the past may be no better off than the AAC schools when it’s all said and done. It’s clear that it’s all about the money now more than ever. The C-19 pandemic will accelerate many societal changes, and it’s likely that one will be the end of the Football Factories willingness to subsidize the second tier schools in each P5 conference. Bringing in an additional 30 schools or so, for scheduling purposes will end any leverage that the P5 parasites have had in recent years.

Notice I correctly attributed the quotes to the proper poster!

I don't think there are many, if any, parasites in the P5's. I do think there's bottom feeders. I may be wrong, but I think that other than gate receipts the rest of game day revenues are kept by the home team. I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt doesn't make a penny on concessions, merchandise, seat licenses, parking, etc when it visits LSU. Of course there is a sharing of post season revenues across any and all sports that generate any. And the participants get their travel and meal expenses before any split.

Most of the P5 schools have pretty solid fan bases, even those that never win their conference. That's why I wouldn't call them "parasites." They're generating more revenue without the TV money taken into account than most G5 schools including G5 TV money.
It’s been a while since I last tracked the attendance of second tier P5 schools (ie P5 Parasites) but when I did, they didn’t have fan attendance significantly better than the stronger G5 programs, even though they usually had far more interesting opponents. If the better G5 teams could play the normal P5 schedules, they may well draw better than many P5 Parasites. Of course the term P5 Parasite refer to the windfall TV revenues that these second tier programs get because they found themselves in a P5 conference. I think most schools do keep their own gate and concession revenue.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Based on non-TV football revenue, I would count the following schools in the P5 Parasite category: Vandy, Kentucky, BC. Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland, Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest, West Va, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Kansas, Iowa St, Minnesota, Illinois, Colorado, Utah, Oregon St., and Arizona. While some
of these schools have strong attendance records, they all have little TV interest beyond their immediate fan base (eg West Va,, Utah and Arizona). There are also a batch of P5 schools that could easily be added to this list, but they have benefited greatly from getting into the P5 trough—schools such as Baylor, TCU, Miami, Kansas St, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Arizona St, Mississippi St., Louisville, Mizzou and I’ve probably overlooked a few. Several of the better G5 programs could prosper as well as this latter group of schools if they were in a P5.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

A formula for defining a P5 Parasite (“P5P”):

P5P = Bottom Feeder + a TV revenue
allocation out of proportion to their fan following and attendance- related revenue.

Based on this formula, almost any P5 schools outside the Top 20 Football Factories can be considered a P5 Parasite.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:58 am Based on non-TV football revenue, I would count the following schools in the P5 Parasite category: Vandy, Kentucky, BC. Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland, Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest, West Va, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Kansas, Iowa St, Minnesota, Illinois, Colorado, Utah, Oregon St., and Arizona. While some
of these schools have strong attendance records, they all have little TV interest beyond their immediate fan base (eg West Va,, Utah and Arizona). There are also a batch of P5 schools that could easily be added to this list, but they have benefited greatly from getting into the P5 trough—schools such as Baylor, TCU, Miami, Kansas St, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Arizona St, Mississippi St., Louisville, Mizzou and I’ve probably overlooked a few. Several of the better G5 programs could prosper as well as this latter group of schools if they were in a P5.
Even though most generate more revenue BEFORE CONFERENCE TV money than most, if not all G5's generate total. Certainly the schools you listed above fall into that category. Part of this is that the perception of the G5 has gone down nationally while the mostly old-school and state flagship universities have built fan bases around the relative popularity of the P5
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:14 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:58 am Based on non-TV football revenue, I would count the following schools in the P5 Parasite category: Vandy, Kentucky, BC. Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland, Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest, West Va, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Kansas, Iowa St, Minnesota, Illinois, Colorado, Utah, Oregon St., and Arizona. While some
Even though most generate more revenue BEFORE CONFERENCE TV money than most, if not all G5's generate total. Certainly the schools you listed above fall into that category. Part of this is that the perception of the G5 has gone down nationally while the mostly old-school and state flagship universities have built fan bases around the relative popularity of the P5
Exactly. And beyond the money advantage, the P5 designation provides a significant advantage in recruiting and scheduling, for those fan bases. From a football perspective, several G5 schools such as UCF, USF, UH, Cincy, Memphis, SMU, Colo. St, BYU, Boise St., San Diego State, and yes even Tulane, could readily build large fan bases around a P5 designation. We can only hope that these schools get an opportunity, as part of any P5 separation from the NCAA.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:49 pm
Exactly. And beyond the money advantage, the P5 designation provides a significant advantage in recruiting and scheduling, for those fan bases. From a football perspective, several G5 schools such as UCF, USF, UH, Cincy, Memphis, SMU, Colo. St, BYU, Boise St., San Diego State, and yes even Tulane, could readily build large fan bases around a P5 designation. We can only hope that these schools get an opportunity, as part of any P5 separation from the NCAA.
Except a few of those schools, Tulane among them, have such tiny fan bases and poor on-field performance, that we would be truly more parasitic than the parasites at the bottom of the P5. Get a grip. We put 8-12,000 into a 22k stadium, generate less than $10 million total football revenue INCLUDING the TV money. We're attractive because of our location, but for a P5 to invite us would be an invitation for that conference to be mocked in a big, big way. The schools you pick out as parasites are generating MULTIPLES of football revenue than Tulane, even excluding their P5 TV money. Missou, for example, generates $30 million without SEC TV money. Do we even raise the bar past a couple of million? Last I read, our entire athletics budget was less than 1/3 of that.

Potential to be a player? Maybe. But right now, and for the past 30+ years we haven't been there and Tulane would be the ultimate bookmark to your own "parasite" definitions.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:20 pm
Except a few of those schools, Tulane among them, have such tiny fan bases and poor on-field performance, that we would be truly more parasitic than the parasites at the bottom of the P5. Get a grip. We put 8-12,000 into a 22k stadium, generate less than $10 million total football revenue INCLUDING the TV money. We're attractive because of our location, but for a P5 to invite us would be an invitation for that conference to be mocked in a big, big way. The schools you pick out as parasites are generating MULTIPLES of football revenue than Tulane, even excluding their P5 TV money. Missou, for example, generates $30 million without SEC TV money. Do we even raise the bar past a couple of million? Last I read, our entire athletics budget was less than 1/3 of that.

Potential to be a player? Maybe. But right now, and for the past 30+ years we haven't been there and Tulane would be the ultimate bookmark to your own "parasite" definitions.
Before the Kelly and Cowen fiascos, we averaged around 30,000 per home game from 1960 through 1990. So there are real reasons to believe that if we can get out of the G5 doghouse, and not repeat the past presidency errors, that we can build a fan base comparable with the P5 parasites. Another example of that is how SMU dominated TCU for decades, now the P5 advantage has turned that around. On equal terms, many of the G5 will out draw and perform many of the P5 Parasites.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Fri May 29, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

But RIGHT NOW we would be a parasite, and subject a P5 to ridicule were they to invite us. And not for nothing, but two or three generations have died since we were regularly putting 30K into the Dome. Times have changed and it's not easy to build a fan base today with so many other opportunities for fans to spend their recreation/sports dollars that didn't exist in the 60's, 70's 80's and even into the 90's. The schools you list ALL generate more non-TV football revenue than Tulane generates in Athletics revenue totals. Heck, Vanderbilt's non-TV Football revenue is 3x+ what our athletics budget totals. Likewise with Missou.

You gave us your definition of parasite, I'm simply pointing out we would be the poster child for that definition.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:20 pm

I believe you've said before you have only been to a game in the first year of its existence. To be accurate our actual attendance other than homecoming ranges from 2,000- 8,000 depending on how many the opponent brings.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:27 pm To be accurate our actual attendance other than homecoming ranges from 2,000- 8,000 depending on how many the opponent brings.
Thanks. Exactly my point, magnified by actual attendance.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Some of you Negative Nancy’s need to realize having the AAC be part of the P5/P6 breakaway from the NCAA would result in many sold out games at Yulman Stadium with 30,000 plus in attendance. The casual football fan in the New Orleans area loves quality college football and higher quality teams with more name recognition to the average fan would be on Tulane’s home schedule with the AAC included in the P5 breakaway as it would be easier to schedule 1 for 1’s with P5 teams for our out of conference schedule. Plus if the current momentum continues and the football program continues to improve Tulane would win some of these games against average or lower level P5 schools. Heck we almost made it into the top 25 rankings for a brief moment during this past season. You combine better recognized P5 opponents with good quality Tulane football and the casual New Orleans football fan will attend games at Yulman. After we win a couple of these games against P5 teams these casual fans will jump on the bandwagon and become Tulane fans. I remember in the early 2000’s we had 30,000 plus in the Superdome for a game against TCU. The problem was in the past we did not sustain the momentum and win these type of games. Also this was before the clown Scott Cowen destroyed the program with “the review.”
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sunamiwave wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:05 pm Some of you Negative Nancy’s need to realize having the AAC be part of the P5/P6 breakaway from the NCAA would result in many sold out games at Yulman Stadium with 30,000 plus in attendance. The casual football fan in the New Orleans area loves quality college football and higher quality teams with more name recognition to the average fan would be on Tulane’s home schedule with the AAC included in the P5 breakaway as it would be easier to schedule 1 for 1’s with P5 teams for our out of conference schedule. Plus if the current momentum continues and the football program continues to improve Tulane would win some of these games against average or lower level P5 schools. Heck we almost made it into the top 25 rankings for a brief moment during this past season. You combine better recognized P5 opponents with good quality Tulane football and the casual New Orleans football fan will attend games at Yulman. After we win a couple of these games against P5 teams these casual fans will jump on the bandwagon and become Tulane fans. I remember in the early 2000’s we had 30,000 plus in the Superdome for a game against TCU. The problem was in the past we did not sustain the momentum and win these type of games. Also this was before the clown Scott Cowen destroyed the program with “the review.”
If only Yulman could seat 30,000. If we had 30K against TCU, that means there were 15K TCU fans into New Orleans from the Metroplex. We've been 7-6 the last two years. They call that historic! In the words of the late, great Jerry Stiller "HA".
nawlinspete
Riptide

D this is not the uconn or ucf board . Either you are with us or against us . My bet is on the latter .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Pablowow
Ripple

Geez.... the atmosphere at Yulman is amazing and the negative Nancy’s on this board need to realize we are on our way and have been for a few years.... we will be a part of the breakaway... we have fantastic facilities across the board....we have a top five happiest students in the country... we have great financial strength... and are AAU... we don’t need 100,000 in the stands... neither does Duke and neither does Vanderbilt..... that does at mean we aren’t a gold standard school that is beneficial to College sports... we have the pieces to generate funds especially if we are in a breakaway... i can see a day where we are put into a 16 team conference with Baylor, SMU, TCU, Oklahoma state, etc when the breakaway happens... it’s not far fetched to see us in the current ACC when the add a couple.... maybe even SEC .... When the break away happens a little shuffling will occur to full all conferences to 16 so they can split East west divisions....

Imagine a schedule like this...

TCU
Navy
Army
Oklahoma State
Memphis
Baylor
Ole Miss
West Virginia
Iowa State
Temple
Houston
SMU

Tell me that group won’t draw 30,000
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:45 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:05 pm Some of you Negative Nancy’s need to realize having the AAC be part of the P5/P6 breakaway from the NCAA would result in many sold out games at Yulman Stadium with 30,000 plus in attendance. The casual football fan in the New Orleans area loves quality college football and higher quality teams with more name recognition to the average fan would be on Tulane’s home schedule with the AAC included in the P5 breakaway as it would be easier to schedule 1 for 1’s with P5 teams for our out of conference schedule. Plus if the current momentum continues and the football program continues to improve Tulane would win some of these games against average or lower level P5 schools. Heck we almost made it into the top 25 rankings for a brief moment during this past season. You combine better recognized P5 opponents with good quality Tulane football and the casual New Orleans football fan will attend games at Yulman. After we win a couple of these games against P5 teams these casual fans will jump on the bandwagon and become Tulane fans. I remember in the early 2000’s we had 30,000 plus in the Superdome for a game against TCU. The problem was in the past we did not sustain the momentum and win these type of games. Also this was before the clown Scott Cowen destroyed the program with “the review.”
If only Yulman could seat 30,000. If we had 30K against TCU, that means there were 15K TCU fans into New Orleans from the Metroplex. We've been 7-6 the last two years. They call that historic! In the words of the late, great Jerry Stiller "HA".
TCU was in our conference (CUSA) at that time and wasn’t very good at all. They later left CUSA for the Mountain West Conference, then moved up to P5 status moving over to the Big 12 where their followers grew substantially. The Frogs didn’t bring anywhere near that. The nearly 30,000 was majority Tulane fans. I remember the game well. It was our 2003 season opener and we let down all the fans and lost 38-35. Typical Tulane to lay an egg when finally drawing a nice crowd.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981