Angry Wave survey

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
anEngineer
Riptide

Tulane sent out an email this morning with a survey about the team mascot. Essentially, they are trying to determine if they keep using Riptide or create an Angry Wave costume. My feelings were that for an interactive mascot, Riptide works pretty well in that it's unique and indigenous to Louisiana. Everybody likes pelicans. Previous Angry Wave costumes didn't seem to work. That big wide one they had in the 70's had to be brutal to move around in and that Gumby thing was terrible. If they came up with a legitimate Angry Wave costume, I would support it, but I just don't see how you get there.

ajcalhoun
Swell

I'm with you. Come up with a decent Angry Wave costume THEN we can talk.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:57 am I'm with you. Come up with a decent Angry Wave costume THEN we can talk.
Same here. IIRC they tried one in the 7o's but it was too cumbersome for the person wearing it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Citypark
Ripple

It would be great to get a professional Angry Wave costume. That would be a great improvement over RipTide. It must, however, be a really significant change from the old Angry Wave models!!
JerseyWave
Riptide

I think the athletic department has their priorities all out of line. First they had a contest to redesign the football field when there was nothing wrong with it, now it’s about the mascot. There should certainly be more important issues to deal with in the Wilson Center like insuring the athletic department is on strong financial footing in case football season is compromised due to COVID-19, getting the basketball programs into the NCAA tournament, selling more season tickets etc.
MicMan
Swell

LOL
Bigschtick
Riptide

Do we really need for the athletic department to be concerned about a mascot
at this time? I would really like to know how the department is preparing for the athletes possible return to campus. Otherwise I vote for a angry wave costume after all, if Stanford can come up with a great dancing tree, we can do the same with our angry wave.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:18 am Do we really need for the athletic department to be concerned about a mascot
at this time? I would really like to know how the department is preparing for the athletes possible return to campus. Otherwise I vote for a angry wave costume after all, if Stanford can come up with a great dancing tree, we can do the same with our angry wave.
I'm with you that the Athletic Dept. should be focused on much more important things. That being said a tree is much easier to deal with than a Wave. We don't want anything that resembles the "Gumby" mascot we used to have (which a Fraternity brother wore for a couple of years when I was an undergrad in the 80's.)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

I vote for a signature win.
Just one👍
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:32 pm I vote for a signature win.
Just one👍
plus one...with ole Poseidon riding a Harley, leading the team outta the tunnel, with his Trident pointing the way
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think Poseidon is awesome. I had never seen him before, but he checks many boxes
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'll vote for a signature win. We haven't had one in a long, long time.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

Why does Poseidon have to be a 'he'? I think this would be a great Angry Wave! I would guess one of the ShockWave ladies would love to have this assignment.

ajcalhoun
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:00 pm Why does Poseidon have to be a 'he'? I think this would be a great Angry Wave! I would guess one of the ShockWave ladies would love to have this assignment.

I'm sold.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:01 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:00 pm Why does Poseidon have to be a 'he'? I think this would be a great Angry Wave! I would guess one of the ShockWave ladies would love to have this assignment.

I'm sold.
looks "Sleek" to me !!!!
1989alum
Low Tide

JerseyWave wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:53 pm I think the athletic department has their priorities all out of line. First they had a contest to redesign the football field when there was nothing wrong with it, now it’s about the mascot. There should certainly be more important issues to deal with in the Wilson Center like insuring the athletic department is on strong financial footing in case football season is compromised due to COVID-19, getting the basketball programs into the NCAA tournament, selling more season tickets etc.
I think they are capable of multitasking.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:53 pm I think the athletic department has their priorities all out of line. First they had a contest to redesign the football field when there was nothing wrong with it, now it’s about the mascot. There should certainly be more important issues to deal with in the Wilson Center like insuring the athletic department is on strong financial footing in case football season is compromised due to COVID-19, getting the basketball programs into the NCAA tournament, selling more season tickets etc.
About the new field design, we were getting a new turf anyway since the one in Yulman was installed in Year 1 so I guess it was a good time to redesign it. Not sure about the mascot though.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

1989alum wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:20 pm
I think they are capable of multitasking.
Seriously.

I do love those old gameday marketing drawings. They are like a playful Rockwellian sports cartoon
Eaglewave
Swell

Right when I was about to post about how crappy/horrific our Poseidon mascot use to be, you received my vote with this one!
Ball Sumrall!
Wave QB
Swell

I will stay in the minority when it comes to our horrible mascots in the past.