AAC FB coaches ranked

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

Hard to believe Phil Montgomery has only been at Tulsa one year longer than Fritz.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Fair article and analysis
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think Coach Mike Houston at ECU is one of the top 5, and possibly as high as 3rd in terms of attractiveness to a P5 suitor.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:35 am I think Coach Mike Houston at ECU is one of the top 5, and possibly as high as 3rd in terms of attractiveness to a P5 suitor.
He's quite the hard ass. We'll see how that works with recruiting talented players with choices. If he can develop marginal talent quickly, he'll do well. He can enrol my dog at ECU.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

It’s possible he turns ECU into a contender . . . Or it’s possible that there are limits to what a coach can do against other excellent coaches who may have more resources. Willie Fritz is an example of someone who has dominated at lower levels and has built a program and some success at the next level. . . But he isnt dominant at this level. Even if not dominant, Can he take us to contender level in the AAC ? That remains to be seen.
swampnik
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:46 pm It’s possible he turns ECU into a contender . . . Or it’s possible that there are limits to what a coach can do against other excellent coaches who may have more resources. Willie Fritz is an example of someone who has dominated at lower levels and has built a program and some success at the next level. . . But he isnt dominant at this level. Even if not dominant, Can he take us to contender level in the AAC ? That remains to be seen.
Yes, it's a shame Fritz and the team could not keep the momentum going after being ranked no.26 and then flattening out down the stretch.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:15 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:35 am I think Coach Mike Houston at ECU is one of the top 5, and possibly as high as 3rd in terms of attractiveness to a P5 suitor.
He's quite the hard ass. We'll see how that works with recruiting talented players with choices. If he can develop marginal talent quickly, he'll do well. He can enrol my dog at ECU.
I've followed him for a while, and never had that experience with him or his players. His players, former and current, seem to love the guy. And he's had more success, winning a FCS National Championship and a runner up and two semi final losses at that level, than any coach in our conference. This will be his second year at ECU. I guarantee that his third year there will be more successful than Banks stopped at the one inch line.

And by the way, he put people back in the stands last fall in Greenville. They would have sold out Yulman if their stadium was as small as ours. When was the last time we had a REAL sell out? Sept 4, 2014?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:33 pm
I've followed him for a while, and never had that experience with him or his players. His players, former and current, seem to love the guy. And he's had more success, winning a FCS National Championship and a runner up and two semi final losses at that level, than any coach in our conference. This will be his second year at ECU. I guarantee that his third year there will be more successful than Banks stopped at the one inch line.

And by the way, he put people back in the stands last fall in Greenville. They would have sold out Yulman if their stadium was as small as ours. When was the last time we had a REAL sell out? Sept 4, 2014?
Perpetual losing does that to a fan base as we know. I don’t know when or if we have ever averaged more fans than ECU.

If we had been ranked in the top 25 and won a game I wouldn’t be surprised for us to have some announced sell outs.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

They were 1-7 in conference. What am I missing? Top half of the AAC with literally zero conference resume?
ECU has always had good attendance, the main and perhaps only reason they got an AAC invite.
wave97
Swell

When was the last time there was anything resembling an entertainment option in Greenville, NC?
wave97
Swell

The "holy trinity" (cover 0 db's. O-lineman & D-lineman), becomes more critical to the success of any program as head coaches & their staff make their way up the food chain. If insufficient talent & coaching at those positions exists it really doesn't matter how responsive or clever the scheme is,
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:43 pm They were 1-7 in conference. What am I missing? Top half of the AAC with literally zero conference resume?
ECU has always had good attendance, the main and perhaps only reason they got an AAC invite.
It was his first season. And they had well over 600 yards of offense in November games at SMU and hosting Cincinnati.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

how da hell is the Navy coach not number One...he has over 75 players a year signed.... his 2020 signing class has 85 //www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy/ac-c ... story.html

https://247sports.com/college/navy/Seas ... l/Commits/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:11 pm how da hell is the Navy coach not number One...he has over 75 players a year signed.... his 2020 signing class has 85 //www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy/ac-c ... story.html

'nut you rant about the Navy signing 75 or 85 recruits about 6x/month. Do you know that less than a dozen enroll without going to the Navy Prep academy? And after a year of PG work there, more than half drop out, and many never put on a Navy football uniform.

Army and Airforce have similar practices, though not to the same extent as Navy. It's not like Navy dresses 230 players. They dress 85, just like everyone else.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:23 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:11 pm how da hell is the Navy coach not number One...he has over 75 players a year signed.... his 2020 signing class has 85 //www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy/ac-c ... story.html

'nut you rant about the Navy signing 75 or 85 recruits about 6x/month. Do you know that less than a dozen enroll without going to the Navy Prep academy? And after a year of PG work there, more than half drop out, and many never put on a Navy football uniform.

Army and Airforce have similar practices, though not to the same extent as Navy. It's not like Navy dresses 230 players. They dress 85, just like everyone else.
Damn...Does everyone realize the Military schools sign about 80 players a year....one more rant from me...accoring to the posted link, 85 were signed...and then the "cuts" were made....wish Tulane could go back the Ellender years and sign 90 and then make "cuts'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:33 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:23 pm

Damn...Does everyone realize the Military schools sign about 80 players a year....one more rant from me...accoring to the posted link, 85 were signed...and then the "cuts" were made....wish Tulane could go back the Ellender years and sign 90 and then make "cuts'
But when you look at how they rank, most of the 85 were 2 or no star recruits, and the vast majority will never wear a Navy football uniform. Based upon their average rating Navy had the worst recruiting class (24/7) in the AAC, despite having 85 "recruits". The service academies have different standards, always have, always will. So be it.