Has YOGWF gone out of business?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
IM42lane
Swell
Posts: 1920
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:36 pm
Location: St. George, LA 70817-6045
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue May 19, 2020 10:39 pm

I have tried pulling up Ye Olde Green Wave Forum (YOGWF) several times lately with no success. Have they faded off into the sunset?


With Regards to All, (& Keep it ROLLIN' . . .),

"Pete" M.

A.S. Madere

Tulane College A&S/ Navy ROTC 1974
Bicoastalwave
Swell
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Tue May 19, 2020 10:49 pm

Yeah I also noticed that. It really is silly to have Two boards and divide the groups.
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue May 19, 2020 11:37 pm

Maybe it caught the 'Rona.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 3717
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Tue May 19, 2020 11:52 pm

I can’t pull up YOGWF either? YOGWF is either “down or dead”?
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 2072
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am

Image
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 12:36 am

It actually does come up, albeit VERY VERY slow. I don't know, I've always thought it's silly we have 2 separate forums with such a small fan base, but we all know why this forum was created.

I would take over that other forum if asked, and do what I could to merge the posts/users/content into GOTULA and have one main place to discuss Tulane athletics. All uncensored of course :-)
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 2923
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 7:59 am

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:36 am
It actually does come up, albeit VERY VERY slow. I don't know, I've always thought it's silly we have 2 separate forums with such a small fan base, but we all know why this forum was created.

I would take over that other forum if asked, and do what I could to merge the posts/users/content into GOTULA and have one main place to discuss Tulane athletics. All uncensored of course :-)
I’m not sure many of the Yoggies could “handle the truth” of an uncensored board.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 8:26 am

HoustonWave wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:59 am
NOLABigSteve wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:36 am
It actually does come up, albeit VERY VERY slow. I don't know, I've always thought it's silly we have 2 separate forums with such a small fan base, but we all know why this forum was created.

I would take over that other forum if asked, and do what I could to merge the posts/users/content into GOTULA and have one main place to discuss Tulane athletics. All uncensored of course :-)
I’m not sure many of the Yoggies could “handle the truth” of an uncensored board.
Col Jessup, agrees with U !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 3717
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm

I still cant get it to open at all? I know we have Gotula members who are YOGGIE members as well. YOGGIE members, any idea of what is going on?
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9505
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 pm

It doesn't open for me, either.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:39 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Wave755 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm
I still cant get it to open at all? I know we have Gotula members who are YOGGIE members as well. YOGGIE members, any idea of what is going on?
Whats wrong with you? You know those Yoggies will not admit to being GOTULA members!! :D :D
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9505
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 pm

Although I've been banned there for years, they are die hard Tulane fans. I'd welcome almost all of them here, especially if they didn't have the ability to beat down and/or delete posts they disagree with.

Wayne's board, IMHO, on the old local newspaper site, was a great precursor to the YOGWF. Wayne was accepting of most differing opinions. He was a good man and a great Tulane fan.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
swampnik
Surge
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 am
Location: Paris, France et NOLA
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 5:09 pm

Slow but got main page to open today. After that, could not get one rubrique to open. The main page did show that 38 people were on-line browsing the site and last entry read 5/20. Strange indeed.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 5:19 pm

I've gotten it to load a couple of times, after waiting several minutes. It's either a server or database issue, but something is for sure eff'ed up with their forum.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 5:37 pm

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:19 pm
I've gotten it to load a couple of times, after waiting several minutes. It's either a server or database issue, but something is for sure eff'ed up with their forum.
I think it is their attitude....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Rat
Trickle
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:10 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 6:10 pm

Wayne was Tulane sports, I miss him and thank him for connecting our passion for Tulane sports.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 3717
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 pm

DaveBrownStreak wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:00 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm
I still cant get it to open at all? I know we have Gotula members who are YOGGIE members as well. YOGGIE members, any idea of what is going on?
Whats wrong with you? You know those Yoggies will not admit to being GOTULA members!! :D :D
:D :lol: :clap:
Bicoastalwave
Swell
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 10:48 pm

To really stick it to them we could discuss football, QB transfers, recruiting or even next years schedule . . . Nah
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 15888
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 20, 2020 10:50 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 pm
Although I've been banned there for years, they are die hard Tulane fans. I'd welcome almost all of them here, especially if they didn't have the ability to beat down and/or delete posts they disagree with.

Wayne's board, IMHO, on the old local newspaper site, was a great precursor to the YOGWF. Wayne was accepting of most differing opinions. He was a good man and a great Tulane fan.
That's not true. .You either agreed with him or he would delete an entire thread.

He was such an embarrassment as a fan that RJ banned him from Tulane Baseball games.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9505
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu May 21, 2020 7:18 am

winwave wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:50 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 pm
Wayne's board, IMHO, on the old local newspaper site, was a great precursor to the YOGWF. Wayne was accepting of most differing opinions. He was a good man and a great Tulane fan.
That's not true. .You either agreed with him or he would delete an entire thread.

He was such an embarrassment as a fan that RJ banned him from Tulane Baseball games.
I had a better experience than that with Wayne. He never deleted a thread on the Tulane board at NOLA.com that I had started, and was the one that introduced me to the YOGWF. YOGWF was the end of the NOLA.com Tulane board.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
tufinal4
Low Tide
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am
Status: Offline

Thu May 21, 2020 8:11 am

Wayne was devoted to Tulane to the core, and was very effective with written communication. He had difficulty restraining his emotion shall we say at games. His appearance was a mess, it prevented him from making a better impression. When we were working to defeat Cowen during the review, he dug into the Tulane governing documents and found a couple of critical things that we used to our advantage at the end of that effort. That is no exxageration.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 15888
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu May 21, 2020 9:20 am

DfromCT wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:18 am
winwave wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:50 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 pm
Wayne's board, IMHO, on the old local newspaper site, was a great precursor to the YOGWF. Wayne was accepting of most differing opinions. He was a good man and a great Tulane fan.
That's not true. .You either agreed with him or he would delete an entire thread.

He was such an embarrassment as a fan that RJ banned him from Tulane Baseball games.
I had a better experience than that with Wayne. He never deleted a thread on the Tulane board at NOLA.com that I had started, and was the one that introduced me to the YOGWF. YOGWF was the end of the NOLA.com Tulane board.
There was another board that he had that I'm referring to. He then sold it to his buddy jts. Then he took over our Scout.com site and tried the same thing with deletions. I told him it was a pay site and he couldn't do that and if he did it I would sue him and have the site shut down. He backed down after that.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
Bicoastalwave
Swell
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Thu May 21, 2020 12:15 pm

tufinal4 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:11 am
Wayne was devoted to Tulane to the core, and was very effective with written communication. He had difficulty restraining his emotion shall we say at games. His appearance was a mess, it prevented him from making a better impression. When we were working to defeat Cowen during the review, he dug into the Tulane governing documents and found a couple of critical things that we used to our advantage at the end of that effort. That is no exxageration.

Interesting. Can you elaborate about what you found that was advantageous to the pro football cause ? And thank you for doing that to save football for the later generations (like me).
User avatar
JTLiuzza
Swell
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm
Status: Offline

Thu May 21, 2020 2:21 pm

winwave wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:20 am
DfromCT wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:18 am
winwave wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:50 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 pm
Wayne's board, IMHO, on the old local newspaper site, was a great precursor to the YOGWF. Wayne was accepting of most differing opinions. He was a good man and a great Tulane fan.
That's not true. .You either agreed with him or he would delete an entire thread.

He was such an embarrassment as a fan that RJ banned him from Tulane Baseball games.
I had a better experience than that with Wayne. He never deleted a thread on the Tulane board at NOLA.com that I had started, and was the one that introduced me to the YOGWF. YOGWF was the end of the NOLA.com Tulane board.
There was another board that he had that I'm referring to. He then sold it to his buddy jts. Then he took over our Scout.com site and tried the same thing with deletions. I told him it was a pay site and he couldn't do that and if he did it I would sue him and have the site shut down. He backed down after that.
Winwave I don't think that' accurate although my memory could be faulty. Wayne's board was not the nola board, as you correctly say. It was a primitive board, even by the standards of the time. Some may recall; green background with white text and that's it. You could start threads, and any responses would appear in indented/nested fashion beneath the OP, consuming the same amount of vertical space on the screen.

It was the only game in town pretty much back then and so saw a good amount of traffic. Wayne didn't sell the board to JtS. He abandoned it in favor of his much more modern, easier to monetize, and easier to moderate scout site.

So his original board remained, unmoderated, but still with traffic. It turned into a cesspool. lsu guys were spamming it daily. You could start about fifteen or so "Tulane s**ks" threads and it would scroll everything else off the board so whenever you visited the site, that's all you would see.

JtS contacted the folks who hosted the site and asked them to shut it down because it really had become a disgrace to Tulane once Wayne abandoned it. They refused on the grounds that it was generating too much traffic for them to shut down.

So JtS took over the board from them via whatever financial arrangement. Thus began his infamous career as board master.

It wasn't long after that he realized he couldn't police the board adequately by himself so he began soliciting mods from the regular posters. I was one of them.

A few of the other mods he brought on board decided to impose their own view of things, absent any real content guidelines to the board. They deleted content simply because they didn't like it, with no rhyme or reason. And injected commentary that had no place on an athletics board, mostly politics, which made visiting unpleasant. Some folks can't help themselves.

I wrote JtS to discuss the situation with him and to point out that what we needed was a specific set of guidelines regarding content, and what did and didn't define legitimate deletion of posts. He responded by putting the ball in my court. He agreed with my point and basically said, "OK. Write them up." And I did.

That was the beginning of the rules; put in place originally not to stifle good discussion, but solely as an attempt to control a$$hole moderators. That's it. It obviously didn't work. It should have but it didn't, and that's on JtS. But I've told that tale here before I think.

Anyway, that's my recollection. I think JtS took over Wayne's board at some point during the Bowden years or very shortly thereafter.

By the time the "review" reared it's ugly head, Wayne's original board was a gone pecan as JtS had moved to a more modern site. The nola site was up and running as the only other free site. The review leaker (Bisso I think) attempted to use JtS's site to get the info out before Cowen could consummate his slimy deed. JtS and his heavy handed, out of control, mindless mods repeatedly deleted the leak, obviously without even lifting a finger to attempt to verify the report, thereby unwittingly running cover for Cowen and aiding and abetting his attempt to crush D1 football at Tulane. Nobody should ever let them forget that.

The leaker then put it on the nola site, where it wasn't deleted but generated discussion. It was picked up from there by Buddy D in the local sports media and the cat was out of the bag for for that slime Cowen and his board.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19709
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu May 21, 2020 2:43 pm

JTLiuzza wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:21 pm
winwave wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:20 am
DfromCT wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:18 am
winwave wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:50 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 pm
Wayne's board, IMHO, on the old local newspaper site, was a great precursor to the YOGWF. Wayne was accepting of most differing opinions. He was a good man and a great Tulane fan.
That's not true. .You either agreed with him or he would delete an entire thread.

He was such an embarrassment as a fan that RJ banned him from Tulane Baseball games.
I had a better experience than that with Wayne. He never deleted a thread on the Tulane board at NOLA.com that I had started, and was the one that introduced me to the YOGWF. YOGWF was the end of the NOLA.com Tulane board.
There was another board that he had that I'm referring to. He then sold it to his buddy jts. Then he took over our Scout.com site and tried the same thing with deletions. I told him it was a pay site and he couldn't do that and if he did it I would sue him and have the site shut down. He backed down after that.
Winwave I don't think that' accurate although my memory could be faulty. Wayne's board was not the nola board, as you correctly say. It was a primitive board, even by the standards of the time. Some may recall; green background with white text and that's it. You could start threads, and any responses would appear in indented/nested fashion beneath the OP, consuming the same amount of vertical space on the screen.

It was the only game in town pretty much back then and so saw a good amount of traffic. Wayne didn't sell the board to JtS. He abandoned it in favor of his much more modern, easier to monetize, and easier to moderate scout site.

So his original board remained, unmoderated, but still with traffic. It turned into a cesspool. lsu guys were spamming it daily. You could start about fifteen or so "Tulane s**ks" threads and it would scroll everything else off the board so whenever you visited the site, that's all you would see.

JtS contacted the folks who hosted the site and asked them to shut it down because it really had become a disgrace to Tulane once Wayne abandoned it. They refused on the grounds that it was generating too much traffic for them to shut down.

So JtS took over the board from them via whatever financial arrangement. Thus began his infamous career as board master.

It wasn't long after that he realized he couldn't police the board adequately by himself so he began soliciting mods from the regular posters. I was one of them.

A few of the other mods he brought on board decided to impose their own view of things, absent any real content guidelines to the board. They deleted content simply because they didn't like it, with no rhyme or reason. And injected commentary that had no place on an athletics board, mostly politics, which made visiting unpleasant. Some folks can't help themselves.

I wrote JtS to discuss the situation with him and to point out that what we needed was a specific set of guidelines regarding content, and what did and didn't define legitimate deletion of posts. He responded by putting the ball in my court. He agreed with my point and basically said, "OK. Write them up." And I did.

That was the beginning of the rules; put in place originally not to stifle good discussion, but solely as an attempt to control a$$hole moderators. That's it. It obviously didn't work. It should have but it didn't, and that's on JtS. But I've told that tale here before I think.

Anyway, that's my recollection. I think JtS took over Wayne's board at some point during the Bowden years or very shortly thereafter.

By the time the "review" reared it's ugly head, Wayne's original board was a gone pecan as JtS had moved to a more modern site. The nola site was up and running as the only other free site. The review leaker (Bisso I think) attempted to use JtS's site to get the info out before Cowen could consummate his slimy deed. JtS and his heavy handed, out of control, mindless mods repeatedly deleted the leak, obviously without even lifting a finger to attempt to verify the report, thereby unwittingly running cover for Cowen and aiding and abetting his attempt to crush D1 football at Tulane. Nobody should ever let them forget that.

The leaker then put it on the nola site, where it wasn't deleted but generated discussion. It was picked up from there by Buddy D in the local sports media and the cat was out of the bag for for that slime Cowen and his board.
Great stuff! Thx.
As far as Wayne being banned from baseball. The story told to me by RJ was that Wayne would frequently attend practice. On this one particular day he decided to sit in dugout. Once practice was over Rick and Schloss wanted to have a team only meeting. Neither one knew Wayne so RJ asked if he was a member of the Athletic dept and Wayne said no that he was just an observer/fan. Rick then told Wayne he had to leave the dugout and in the future watch practice from the stands. Wayne got upset and took it upon himself to just leave. I guess over the years the story may have evolved but Rick confirmed to me that he has never had anyone banned.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Post Reply