Looking Back on 1973

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:06 am What a team:

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2020/5 ... eason.aspx
my opinion..pound for pound, Mark Oliveri was the best D player in Tulane history, or at least the Tulane history I have seen with my own eyes...in todays world he would be a middle LB...and on another note, Foley was a "walk on", who eventually earned a schollie
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

If only there were archive radio calls from Bruce Miller. Interestingly enough the YouTube video of the 1973 LSU Tulane game has the LSU announcers on the all. I must say John Ferguson was as fair as he could be, even getting excited on the big plays by Tulane and at the end of the game.
billow
High Tide

Foley was a very late signee. Ellender told me himself that after looking at film on Foley, his intercept to passes thrown was very low and they signed him.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

If we finished ranked 15th after the Houston loss, What were we ranked after we beat LSU ? Or did they not do weekly rankings ?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

billow wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:01 pm Foley was a very late signee. Ellender told me himself that after looking at film on Foley, his intercept to passes thrown was very low and they signed him.
Bilow...If I remember correctly Steve QB'd the Freshman team as a walk on...then again, I could be wrong
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Houma de Wave
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:57 pm If only there were archive radio calls from Bruce Miller. Interestingly enough the YouTube video of the 1973 LSU Tulane game has the LSU announcers on the all. I must say John Ferguson was as fair as he could be, even getting excited on the big plays by Tulane and at the end of the game.
It is out there somewhere, Jax. I have one on a old CD given to me by my late great friend, Joe Fakier, who was a WR on the LSU team. The whole game + commercials including Wayne Mack doing the live "You can trust your car to the man who wears the star" Texaco ad.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:38 pm
billow wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:01 pm Foley was a very late signee. Ellender told me himself that after looking at film on Foley, his intercept to passes thrown was very low and they signed him.
Bilow...If I remember correctly Steve QB'd the Freshman team as a walk on...then again, I could be wrong
He did quarterback our Freshmen Team, the Baby Billow. I watched all the freshmen home games that year as I too was a freshman. That freshmen team was very good, and you could already see the talent that team had. Foley was a fantastic scrambler from Day 1.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
ajcalhoun
Swell

He already had two brothers on the team. He was always going to be a Greenie.

Edited to add: I just realized that more than half of the posts in this thread are about a guy who graduated in '73 and was probably in Denver when we beat LSU 14-0.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:25 pm He already had two brothers on the team. He was always going to be a Greenie.

Edited to add: I just realized that more than half of the posts in this thread are about a guy who graduated in '73 and was probably in Denver when we beat LSU 14-0.
No. He wasn't in Denver till 1975.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:41 pm No. He wasn't in Denver till 1975.
Doh! Of course, you're right. I always get confused because he didn't play in the 14-0 game.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:14 am
Doh! Of course, you're right. I always get confused because he didn't play in the 14-0 game.
Yes he played. He started and played most of the game. The second team offense led by Terry Looney was in on the two scoring plays, Foley was in on the rest of the possessions including the final play of the game.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As Looney said in the interview Foley got nicked up and he was put in.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:14 am
before Denver Foley played in the USFL for a team based in Florida..I think he still holds the Denver record for most interceptions by a DB
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Steve Foley and Mark Olivari weigh in on this years 2023 team.

This year’s Tulane squad has notable bond with 1973 Green Wave
https://crescentcitysports.com/this-yea ... reen-wave/
He’s got (the team) playing at such a high level,” Foley said. “He’s got a history of success. He’s having success in the transfer portal. Guys want to play for him. He stayed when Georgia Tech called.”
Although there is a half-century gap between squads, there is a bond between the 1973 Green Wave and the 2023 edition.
Mark Olivari was twice named All-South Independent (1973-74). Having never met Fritz, Olivari has been impressed from afar.
“We spoke on the phone for an hour and a half,” said Olivari, who now lives in North Carolina. “We talked about a lot of things. He is the nicest, most sincere, very focused individual. He is a class guy. He wants input from the former players.”
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mark is very artisitc....take a look
https://www.facebook.com/cosmicdoodler/

Steve Foley...last I heard he was in the communications Biz
https://crescentcitysports.com/steve-fo ... e-success/
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:41 pm Steve Foley and Mark Olivari weigh in on this years 2023 team.

He’s got (the team) playing at such a high level,” Foley said. “He’s got a history of success. He’s having success in the transfer portal. Guys want to play for him. He stayed when Georgia Tech called.”
Although there is a half-century gap between squads, there is a bond between the 1973 Green Wave and the 2023 edition.
Mark Olivari was twice named All-South Independent (1973-74). Having never met Fritz, Olivari has been impressed from afar.
“We spoke on the phone for an hour and a half,” said Olivari, who now lives in North Carolina. “We talked about a lot of things. He is the nicest, most sincere, very focused individual. He is a class guy. He wants input from the former players.”
Great article TPS, thanks. I think the picture is from our last game in Tulane Stadium. We were scheduled to play Ole Miss early that season, and a hurricane threat postponed the game to the end of the season. Hence our last game in Tulane Stadium was against Ole Miss, and it was a very cold and windy day. I was wearing some cheap polyester pants, and it was literally like not having any pants on at all. Ironically, our very next home game, the first one in the Superdome was also against Ole Miss--we lost the last game at Tulane Stadium but won the first home game in the Superdome.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That was the coldest and most miserable game ever.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:19 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:41 pm Steve Foley and Mark Olivari weigh in on this years 2023 team.

Great article TPS, thanks. I think the picture is from our last game in Tulane Stadium. We were scheduled to play Ole Miss early that season, and a hurricane threat postponed the game to the end of the season. Hence our last game in Tulane Stadium was against Ole Miss, and it was a very cold and windy day. I was wearing some cheap polyester pants, and it was literally like not having any pants on at all. Ironically, our very next home game, the first one in the Superdome was also against Ole Miss--we lost the last game at Tulane Stadium but won the first home game in the Superdome.
You’re probably right on that. I just noticed everyone bundled up watching.
Tulane Class of 1981
exflash
High Tide

Anybody remember Tulane’s next game after this game? A last drive FG after some very generous calls by officials got the Greenies a win! Think I am correct.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

exflash wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:34 am Anybody remember Tulane’s next game after this game? A last drive FG after some very generous calls by officials got the Greenies a win! Think I am correct.
Are you referring to the Fran Curci Revenge game, when we drove the field with no time on the clock (thanks to two pass interference calls) and beat Kentucky with a FG? If so, that game was on Nov. 1, 1980, five years after our first season in the Superdome.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:48 am
exflash wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:34 am Anybody remember Tulane’s next game after this game? A last drive FG after some very generous calls by officials got the Greenies a win! Think I am correct.
Are you referring to the Fran Curci Revenge game, when we drove the field with no time on the clock (thanks to two pass interference calls) and beat Kentucky with a FG? If so, that game was on Nov. 1, 1980, five years after our first season in the Superdome.
Yes. Longball Nickie Hall threw the passes.
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:21 am
Back to back Pass Interference penalties (spot of fowl at that time) set up the winning field goal!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
HoustonWave
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:27 am
Back to back Pass Interference penalties (spot of fowl at that time) set up the winning field goal!
They later changed the rule to the greater of 15 yards or the spot of the foul. One reason that rule was changed was because of former Tulane WR Wayne Smith--who was a master at drawing an interference call far down the field. We could send Smith long and almost count on an interference call if he didn't catch it outright.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:27 am
Exactly
Tulane Class of 1981