Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 7594
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:44 pm

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:51 pm
RobertM320 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:21 am
tpstulane wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:23 am

Actually Grandma and Grandpa that live in a nursing home are dying at a higher rate because of this specific virus.
Only if they're in a nursing home in NY or NJ or someplace like that. My mom is in an assisted living facility here in Metairie. They locked down on March 12th. To date, they have not had A SINGLE CASE of Covid, either in residents OR staff.
Robert, that's not true as Louisiana has made nursing home carona reporting much more obfuscated and delayed. You have to dig through the LDHH reports and still you'll find "data pending" on columns for different nursing homes and keep in mind that they make reporting in increments of 7 days instead of daily like they did in March. Carona is still spreading in nursing homes across the state including Orleans Parish, albeit not as fast as in March, but it's still happening.

http://ldh.la.gov/assets/oph/Coronaviru ... _72220.pdf
GPS, I was referring to my mom's specific assisted living facility. Not a single case of resident or worker. And the residents have two choices if they need a doctor. They either do a tele-visit, or if they actually have to go to the doctor, they're quarantined for two weeks upon return. But the result has been, not a single case.

I didn't mean to imply there were no cases in nursing homes, but since the entire death total in LA is around 3600, it means one of two things: either our nursing home deaths are relatively low (NY is well over 7000), or we have a fairly low number among the general population. Either way, we're never going to see the death rates that NY and NJ did because of those policies.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 16149
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:14 am

R320- Glad your moms facility is doing so well. However we have had a large amount of deaths from nursing homes here and they are now coming back after calming down for a bit.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9831
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 am

R320, I will echo others sentiments and am happy for you and your mother and family. You've hit the lottery with her nursing home. That being said, to my knowledge LA didn't make the dumb decision that NY, NJ and CT did in sending early C19 patients to nursing homes in order to avoid overcrowding at the hospitals. It has lead to a huge increase in the death rate, and CT, for example, despite having few deaths for well over a month now is still at a death rate of over 8% of confirmed cases. We really feel our state has turned the corner and is 3-4 months ahead of most of the country. That can change on a dime, as we've seen.

Yes the death rate does seem to be going down. Who knows if that will be the same when the weather gets colder? We all thought the virus would be dormant in the hot weather when this started back in February and March. How wrong we were! This is far from over, but it is time to try to continue to take steps to get towards what will become our new normal. Social distancing, mask wearing, and avoiding large gatherings will continue to be part of the strategy. Those that don't take these steps are helping the virus.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 16149
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:47 am

Not everyone thought it would be dormant in the summer. There were warnings from the beginning that that might not be the case with this particular virus.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 16149
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:12 am

Remeber someone here screaming and yelling that you didn't need to worry about pro athletes getting the virus because they had too much money at stake. Well the Marlins game tonight is canceled because 12 players got the virus.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 3053
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:22 am

DfromCT wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 am
R320, I will echo others sentiments and am happy for you and your mother and family. You've hit the lottery with her nursing home. That being said, to my knowledge LA didn't make the dumb decision that NY, NJ and CT did in sending early C19 patients to nursing homes in order to avoid overcrowding at the hospitals. It has lead to a huge increase in the death rate, and CT, for example, despite having few deaths for well over a month now is still at a death rate of over 8% of confirmed cases. We really feel our state has turned the corner and is 3-4 months ahead of most of the country. That can change on a dime, as we've seen.

Yes the death rate does seem to be going down. Who knows if that will be the same when the weather gets colder? We all thought the virus would be dormant in the hot weather when this started back in February and March. How wrong we were! This is far from over, but it is time to try to continue to take steps to get towards what will become our new normal. Social distancing, mask wearing, and avoiding large gatherings will continue to be part of the strategy. Those that don't take these steps are helping the virus.
Many did think, or hope, that the warm weather would dampen the spread of C-19--which obviously was wrong. No doubt packing the bars and beaches without masks have hurt, but the "southern spread" has probably also been advanced by people staying inside during the oppressively hot weather. As a former Houstonian, I remember it was hard to find anybody on the street in July and August. It will be interesting to see if the spread flips back to the northern states when the weather gets cold again.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19879
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:24 am

Unfortunately it’s something we’re going to have to live with until a vaccine is available. Even North Korea now getting outbreaks even with their extreme lockdowns. I just read where Argentina is exploding and they been making masks mandatory from the beginning. Just do the best you can under the circumstances.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3279
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 am

tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:24 am
Unfortunately it’s something we’re going to have to live with until a vaccine is available. Even North Korea now getting outbreaks even with their extreme lockdowns. I just read where Argentina is exploding and they been making masks mandatory from the beginning. Just do the best you can under the circumstances.
Of course you know the Democrats will delay the vaccine as long as possible for safety reasons. They want to protect us. Lol. The Republicans are going to kill you with that vaccine.
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm

Show Me wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 am
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:24 am
Unfortunately it’s something we’re going to have to live with until a vaccine is available. Even North Korea now getting outbreaks even with their extreme lockdowns. I just read where Argentina is exploding and they been making masks mandatory from the beginning. Just do the best you can under the circumstances.
Of course you know the Democrats will delay the vaccine as long as possible for safety reasons. They want to protect us. Lol. The Republicans are going to kill you with that vaccine.
Once again you're turning a benign post into a political tantrum.
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3279
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm
Show Me wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 am
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:24 am
Unfortunately it’s something we’re going to have to live with until a vaccine is available. Even North Korea now getting outbreaks even with their extreme lockdowns. I just read where Argentina is exploding and they been making masks mandatory from the beginning. Just do the best you can under the circumstances.
Of course you know the Democrats will delay the vaccine as long as possible for safety reasons. They want to protect us. Lol. The Republicans are going to kill you with that vaccine.
Once again you're turning a benign post into a political tantrum.
I guess you missed the news today on Hydroxychloroquine success. Twitter and Facebook covered for the Democrats and deleted a press conference video given in front of the Supreme Court on the success of the treatment. Apparently it’s being used successfully to save lives but you can’t mention that in the media since Trump may gain some political points.
Bicoastalwave
Swell
Posts: 1756
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:40 pm

Show Me wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm
Show Me wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 am
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:24 am
Unfortunately it’s something we’re going to have to live with until a vaccine is available. Even North Korea now getting outbreaks even with their extreme lockdowns. I just read where Argentina is exploding and they been making masks mandatory from the beginning. Just do the best you can under the circumstances.
Of course you know the Democrats will delay the vaccine as long as possible for safety reasons. They want to protect us. Lol. The Republicans are going to kill you with that vaccine.
Once again you're turning a benign post into a political tantrum.
I guess you missed the news today on Hydroxychloroquine success. Twitter and Facebook covered for the Democrats and deleted a press conference video given in front of the Supreme Court on the success of the treatment. Apparently it’s being used successfully to save lives but you can’t mention that in the media since Trump may gain some political points.
Is this sarcasm ?
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9831
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Show Me wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm
I guess you missed the news today on Hydroxychloroquine success. Twitter and Facebook covered for the Democrats and deleted a press conference video given in front of the Supreme Court on the success of the treatment. Apparently it’s being used successfully to save lives but you can’t mention that in the media since Trump may gain some political points.
The videos were taken down because they were blatantly wrong and misleading.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-t ... 2020-07-28
The conservative media outlet Breitbart first published the contested clip, which features men and women dressed in white lab coats and referring to themselves as “America’s Frontline Doctors” staging a press conference outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. The individuals make questionable coronavirus claims that have been proven false, such as calling hydroxychloroquine (a drug used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis for decades) “a cure for COVID” — despite a growing body of scientific evidence that has not shown this to be an effective treatment against the virus.

What’s more, one of the self-identified doctors whose name is given as Stella Immanuel of Houston claims in the video that “you don’t need masks,” despite evidence showing that face coverings help slow the spread of the coronavirus. (She has also said that alien DNA is being used in medical treatments, and gynecological problems such as cysts are caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches, the Daily Beast reported.)
Quite the credible source...not!
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10353
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:32 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:50 pm
Show Me wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm
I guess you missed the news today on Hydroxychloroquine success. Twitter and Facebook covered for the Democrats and deleted a press conference video given in front of the Supreme Court on the success of the treatment. Apparently it’s being used successfully to save lives but you can’t mention that in the media since Trump may gain some political points.
The videos were taken down because they were blatantly wrong and misleading.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-t ... 2020-07-28
The conservative media outlet Breitbart first published the contested clip, which features men and women dressed in white lab coats and referring to themselves as “America’s Frontline Doctors” staging a press conference outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. The individuals make questionable coronavirus claims that have been proven false, such as calling hydroxychloroquine (a drug used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis for decades) “a cure for COVID” — despite a growing body of scientific evidence that has not shown this to be an effective treatment against the virus.

What’s more, one of the self-identified doctors whose name is given as Stella Immanuel of Houston claims in the video that “you don’t need masks,” despite evidence showing that face coverings help slow the spread of the coronavirus. (She has also said that alien DNA is being used in medical treatments, and gynecological problems such as cysts are caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches, the Daily Beast reported.)
Quite the credible source...not!
Gawd, I cannot believe this was not covered by that outstanding source of news, The Free Bacon
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:37 pm

Show Me wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm
Show Me wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 am
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:24 am
Unfortunately it’s something we’re going to have to live with until a vaccine is available. Even North Korea now getting outbreaks even with their extreme lockdowns. I just read where Argentina is exploding and they been making masks mandatory from the beginning. Just do the best you can under the circumstances.
Of course you know the Democrats will delay the vaccine as long as possible for safety reasons. They want to protect us. Lol. The Republicans are going to kill you with that vaccine.
Once again you're turning a benign post into a political tantrum.
I guess you missed the news today on Hydroxychloroquine success. Twitter and Facebook covered for the Democrats and deleted a press conference video given in front of the Supreme Court on the success of the treatment. Apparently it’s being used successfully to save lives but you can’t mention that in the media since Trump may gain some political points.


Let me guess your reaction Show Me: New England Journal of Medicine is a bunch of liberal democrats.
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:40 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:32 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:50 pm
Show Me wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm
I guess you missed the news today on Hydroxychloroquine success. Twitter and Facebook covered for the Democrats and deleted a press conference video given in front of the Supreme Court on the success of the treatment. Apparently it’s being used successfully to save lives but you can’t mention that in the media since Trump may gain some political points.
The videos were taken down because they were blatantly wrong and misleading.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-t ... 2020-07-28
The conservative media outlet Breitbart first published the contested clip, which features men and women dressed in white lab coats and referring to themselves as “America’s Frontline Doctors” staging a press conference outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. The individuals make questionable coronavirus claims that have been proven false, such as calling hydroxychloroquine (a drug used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis for decades) “a cure for COVID” — despite a growing body of scientific evidence that has not shown this to be an effective treatment against the virus.

What’s more, one of the self-identified doctors whose name is given as Stella Immanuel of Houston claims in the video that “you don’t need masks,” despite evidence showing that face coverings help slow the spread of the coronavirus. (She has also said that alien DNA is being used in medical treatments, and gynecological problems such as cysts are caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches, the Daily Beast reported.)
Quite the credible source...not!
Gawd, I cannot believe this was not covered by that outstanding source of news, The Free Bacon
I agree, I wanted to hear more from the reptilian-alien dna- lady.. i haven't laughed so hard in a long time.
Jaxwave
Swell
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:49 pm

I know one thing, if I get the virus and get seriously ill, I am willing to use the drug.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9831
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:51 pm

Jaxwave wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:49 pm
I know one thing, if I get the virus and get seriously ill, I am willing to use the drug.
The FDA has removed approval for use even in dire cases as it has shown no clinical success and has some nasty side affects.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19879
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:29 pm

People that took hydroxychloroquine combo and recovered swear by it. I had a friend of mine who was a day away from going on a ventilator he got it and he recovered almost immediately meanwhile his wife was treated at another hospital did not get the drug and she took almost 10 more days to recover and she had it before he did. She spent 19 days in the hospital and he spent 10.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Surge
Posts: 995
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:38 pm

It’s not being used in the hospital. IV steroids are more effective and Remdesivir is recommended if available. No one is using it unless under the guise of a clinical trial.
greenie78
Surge
Posts: 995
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:40 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:29 pm
People that took hydroxychloroquine combo and recovered swear by it. I had a friend of mine who was a day away from going on a ventilator he got it and he recovered almost immediately meanwhile his wife was treated at another hospital did not get the drug and she took almost 10 more days to recover and she had it before he did. She spent 19 days in the hospital and he spent 10.
Nothing but anecdotal evidence. Much better options being used. Not even being used at our hospital.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19879
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:53 pm

greenie78 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:40 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:29 pm
People that took hydroxychloroquine combo and recovered swear by it. I had a friend of mine who was a day away from going on a ventilator he got it and he recovered almost immediately meanwhile his wife was treated at another hospital did not get the drug and she took almost 10 more days to recover and she had it before he did. She spent 19 days in the hospital and he spent 10.
Nothing but anecdotal evidence. Much better options being used. Not even being used at our hospital.
Doesn’t matter to those that recovered on it because at the time it was their only option and was successful.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9831
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:08 pm

We will never know if tps's friend recovered because of the hydroxychloroquine or if it was coincidental. We do know that clinical trials have not shown positive results.

If you want to believe that it's a conspiracy, have at it. The woman "doctor" on that video Show Me referred to was quite an "expert." She might be revolutionizing treatment for various maladies using alien DNA.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3279
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:27 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:50 pm
Show Me wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm
I guess you missed the news today on Hydroxychloroquine success. Twitter and Facebook covered for the Democrats and deleted a press conference video given in front of the Supreme Court on the success of the treatment. Apparently it’s being used successfully to save lives but you can’t mention that in the media since Trump may gain some political points.
The videos were taken down because they were blatantly wrong and misleading.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-t ... 2020-07-28
The conservative media outlet Breitbart first published the contested clip, which features men and women dressed in white lab coats and referring to themselves as “America’s Frontline Doctors” staging a press conference outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. The individuals make questionable coronavirus claims that have been proven false, such as calling hydroxychloroquine (a drug used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis for decades) “a cure for COVID” — despite a growing body of scientific evidence that has not shown this to be an effective treatment against the virus.

What’s more, one of the self-identified doctors whose name is given as Stella Immanuel of Houston claims in the video that “you don’t need masks,” despite evidence showing that face coverings help slow the spread of the coronavirus. (She has also said that alien DNA is being used in medical treatments, and gynecological problems such as cysts are caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches, the Daily Beast reported.)
Quite the credible source...not!
There were 12 doctors out there and no surprise that you’re going to single out the one black female doctor.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19879
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:29 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:08 pm
We will never know if tps's friend recovered because of the hydroxychloroquine or if it was coincidental. We do know that clinical trials have not shown positive results.

If you want to believe that it's a conspiracy, have at it. The woman "doctor" on that video Show Me referred to was quite an "expert." She might be revolutionizing treatment for various maladies using alien DNA.
His words to me “I felt it going through my body immediately”. This guy hates Trump. His family are well known Democrats in our State government.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9831
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:49 pm

Wow, tps, that's pretty powerful.

Show me what's your point? I had no idea she was the only black, I read it and the article didn't identify her by race, only by what she has said. You might know it was a farce by the fact that they filmed in front of the Supreme Court which has nothing to do with the COVID19.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Post Reply