Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 3053
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:53 am

tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:57 am
DfromCT wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:41 am
Jack made the announcement during the final round of his tournament, the Memorial this past Sunday. He said that he and Barbara (his wife) stayed quarantined for a month, and then for another month only ventured out for short trips for necessities. He announced that they were starting yet another fundraising effort (he and Barbara have been huge philanthropists for decades) for those suffering from COVID19, especially "Those less fortunate (than he and Barbara) whom have lost loved ones."

The interesting thing is that he felt confident that since he had the virus, and now has the antibodies he won't get or spread the virus. Meanwhile, in the past week or so there's been multiple reports of people getting the virus a second time, and a woman in NJ has suffered through 3 infections of the virus. There's still a lot nobody knows about this virus, and the country as a whole is worse off now than we were in March.
I’d disagree. We are better off today because we are closer to having a vaccine. We’re already in Ph3 for some candidates. Currently there are 133 vaccine candidates in trials around the world and many already are proving to be effective. In the US (they have 42) I have a friend that’s signing up to volunteer for the Moderna phase 3 trial here in Louisiana. Phase 2 tested 45 volunteers and had a 100% effective rate for creating antibodies. Phase 3 you get the vaccine twice. The first time a low dosage and then you go back in a few weeks and get a higher dosage. This is just one of many. There will be a vaccine sooner than later on this virus. All the tests are being fast tracked by the FDA.
In addition to getting closer to a vaccine, the case fatality rate keeps falling.


Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9831
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:32 pm

Good point about the vaccine. Faucci said just a few weeks ago that, despite being fast tracked, there's little or no chance of a vaccine making it from trials to approval to mass production before 2021. I wonder if he still feels that way?

As far as death rate goes, that's to be expected. From a virus prospective most of those that were most vulnerable were taken out relatively early when it was running rampant in nursing homes. Here in CT we were running close to 10% of those that tested positive dying. Now we're down for a handful of positive tests/day, and only 54 hospitalized state wide as of 7/20. The has become increasingly dangerous to the younger folks, particularly the 25-40 age group for some reason.

I'm encouraged by Tulane starting classes as tps mentions in another thread. I hope our AAC peers are doing the same, and that we can get a semblance of a season in, but still feel it's a longshot. Nothing changes the fact that football is a contact sport and the virus is still spreading as rapidly as ever.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10353
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:52 pm

Texas high school football will be delayed by one month
https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29 ... ools-month
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19879
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:22 pm

La Attorney General Jeff Landry responds to La Gov JB Edwards with a scathing open letter.
http://agjefflandry.com/Files/Shared/Do ... 072020.pdf
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 16149
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:29 pm

Football is a contact sport. That's what the protocols are about. The players playing will have been thoroughly tested and won't have the virus so they can't spread it. We have good protocols in place and so do our league members. Aresco is a good commissioner. He will make sure our protocols are equal to or better than others.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:50 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:22 pm
La Attorney General Jeff Landry responds to La Gov JB Edwards with a scathing open letter.
http://agjefflandry.com/Files/Shared/Do ... 072020.pdf
Scathing letter from a loser who is 0-4 at SCOTUS. That should tell you a little about how much law he understands.
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2483
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:03 pm

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:50 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:22 pm
La Attorney General Jeff Landry responds to La Gov JB Edwards with a scathing open letter.
http://agjefflandry.com/Files/Shared/Do ... 072020.pdf
Scathing letter from a loser who is 0-4 at SCOTUS. That should tell you a little about how much law he understands.
Landry's letter is a laughable and failing attempt at political posturing for a future gubernatorial run. This is the same guy who was a St. Martin sheriff deputy at the time that over $10,000 worth of cocaine was discovered under his house. Nothing to see here, folks.
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:18 pm

GreenLantern wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:03 pm
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:50 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:22 pm
La Attorney General Jeff Landry responds to La Gov JB Edwards with a scathing open letter.
http://agjefflandry.com/Files/Shared/Do ... 072020.pdf
Scathing letter from a loser who is 0-4 at SCOTUS. That should tell you a little about how much law he understands.
Landry's letter is a laughable and failing attempt at political posturing for a future gubernatorial run. This is the same guy who was a St. Martin sheriff deputy at the time that over $10,000 worth of cocaine was discovered under his house. Nothing to see here, folks.
You'd think after contracting the rona he would show a bit more humility. Guess it was all wishful thinking.
User avatar
MicMan
Surge
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:27 pm

TPS with another failpost!
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19879
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:32 pm

MicMan wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:27 pm
TPS with another failpost!
Providing info for discussion. Thanks for your peanut gallery contribution. :roll: :roll:
So I’ll take a #4 burger with smoke sauce and opinions oh I mean onions. :lol: :lol:
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:57 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:38 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:56 am
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 pm
Interesting story Jack Nicklaus and his wife both in their 80’s tested positive in March and did fine.
https://www.iheart.com/content/2020-07- ... -covid-19/
He said that his wife never showed any symptoms and that he had a cough and sore throat. He said that they have both tested positive for antibodies and felt comfortable being in public because "theoretically we can't get it and can't give it. That's a nice position to be in.''
The presentation of this post is insanely misleading.
Lol facts “insanely misleading”.
I forgot good news and successful recoveries are not allowed in this coronavirus discussion thread and may mislead. :roll:
Yes of course some here would prefer he and his wife died to fit their narrative.
Excluded:

"Barbara and I are both of the age, both of us 80 years old, that is an at-risk age. Our hearts go out to the people who did lose their lives and their families. We were just a couple of the lucky ones."

What about ur post is clear that Jack felt very lucky?

And they spent 6 weeks in quarantine in their protected compound to get healthy. Surely most infected 80 year olds have the luxury of the same. Glad you shared that with our older posters.

I have no desire for anyone to die. Such an absurd statement. .
Hope is a good thing, false hope is potentially the worst of things. Be clear and direct, americans and gotula.net members can take it.

Good luck.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19879
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:23 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:57 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:38 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:56 am
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 pm
Interesting story Jack Nicklaus and his wife both in their 80’s tested positive in March and did fine.
https://www.iheart.com/content/2020-07- ... -covid-19/
He said that his wife never showed any symptoms and that he had a cough and sore throat. He said that they have both tested positive for antibodies and felt comfortable being in public because "theoretically we can't get it and can't give it. That's a nice position to be in.''
The presentation of this post is insanely misleading.
Lol facts “insanely misleading”.
I forgot good news and successful recoveries are not allowed in this coronavirus discussion thread and may mislead. :roll:
Yes of course some here would prefer he and his wife died to fit their narrative.
Excluded:

"Barbara and I are both of the age, both of us 80 years old, that is an at-risk age. Our hearts go out to the people who did lose their lives and their families. We were just a couple of the lucky ones."

What about ur post is clear that Jack felt very lucky?

And they spent 6 weeks in quarantine in their protected compound to get healthy. Surely most infected 80 year olds have the luxury of the same. Glad you shared that with our older posters.

I have no desire for anyone to die. Such an absurd statement. .
Hope is a good thing, false hope is potentially the worst of things. Be clear and direct, americans and gotula.net members can take it.

Good luck.
Ok. So the people that die are just plain unlucky.
I prefer to look at the bright side in life it keeps me happy. To each his own.
Good Luck.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3279
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:27 am

tpstulane wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:23 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:57 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:38 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:56 am
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 pm
Interesting story Jack Nicklaus and his wife both in their 80’s tested positive in March and did fine.
https://www.iheart.com/content/2020-07- ... -covid-19/
He said that his wife never showed any symptoms and that he had a cough and sore throat. He said that they have both tested positive for antibodies and felt comfortable being in public because "theoretically we can't get it and can't give it. That's a nice position to be in.''
The presentation of this post is insanely misleading.
Lol facts “insanely misleading”.
I forgot good news and successful recoveries are not allowed in this coronavirus discussion thread and may mislead. :roll:
Yes of course some here would prefer he and his wife died to fit their narrative.
Excluded:

"Barbara and I are both of the age, both of us 80 years old, that is an at-risk age. Our hearts go out to the people who did lose their lives and their families. We were just a couple of the lucky ones."

What about ur post is clear that Jack felt very lucky?

And they spent 6 weeks in quarantine in their protected compound to get healthy. Surely most infected 80 year olds have the luxury of the same. Glad you shared that with our older posters.

I have no desire for anyone to die. Such an absurd statement. .
Hope is a good thing, false hope is potentially the worst of things. Be clear and direct, americans and gotula.net members can take it.

Good luck.
Ok. So the people that die are just plain unlucky.
I prefer to look at the bright side in life it keeps me happy. To each his own.
Good Luck.
Don’t feed the trolls.
McWave
Low Tide
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:45 am
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:40 am

tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:32 pm
MicMan wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:27 pm
TPS with another failpost!
Providing info for discussion. Thanks for your peanut gallery contribution. :roll: :roll:
So I’ll take a #4 burger with smoke sauce and opinions oh I mean onions. :lol: :lol:
Just a little more info for discussion...
https://cenlamar.com/2017/01/06/the-nap ... ter-1/amp/
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2483
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:52 pm

McWave wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:40 am
Just a little more info for discussion...
https://cenlamar.com/2017/01/06/the-nap ... ter-1/amp/
Thanks for posting. I had not heard of Lamar White but I signed up for CenLamar after reading your article :
“There are only two explanations, Either Jeff Landry was a dirty cop and knew about the drugs, or he was the worst cop ever and couldn’t figure out that $10,000 worth of cocaine was being sold out of his house.”
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:48 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:23 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:57 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:38 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:56 am
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 pm
Interesting story Jack Nicklaus and his wife both in their 80’s tested positive in March and did fine.
https://www.iheart.com/content/2020-07- ... -covid-19/
He said that his wife never showed any symptoms and that he had a cough and sore throat. He said that they have both tested positive for antibodies and felt comfortable being in public because "theoretically we can't get it and can't give it. That's a nice position to be in.''
The presentation of this post is insanely misleading.
Lol facts “insanely misleading”.
I forgot good news and successful recoveries are not allowed in this coronavirus discussion thread and may mislead. :roll:
Yes of course some here would prefer he and his wife died to fit their narrative.
Excluded:

"Barbara and I are both of the age, both of us 80 years old, that is an at-risk age. Our hearts go out to the people who did lose their lives and their families. We were just a couple of the lucky ones."

What about ur post is clear that Jack felt very lucky?

And they spent 6 weeks in quarantine in their protected compound to get healthy. Surely most infected 80 year olds have the luxury of the same. Glad you shared that with our older posters.

I have no desire for anyone to die. Such an absurd statement. .
Hope is a good thing, false hope is potentially the worst of things. Be clear and direct, americans and gotula.net members can take it.

Good luck.
Ok. So the people that die are just plain unlucky.
I prefer to look at the bright side in life it keeps me happy. To each his own.
Good Luck.
I have no idea of the basis or point of this statement.

I prefer to look at reality.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9831
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:41 pm

If you want to have a good laugh (or maybe cry) go back and re-read the first few pages of this thread. One thing that's crystal clear: tps has, from the beginning, been consistently saying that the economic fallout will be worse than the disease. In many ways, he's been right about that (though I still don't understand why the stock market is so high when 2nd quarter earnings sucked, 3Q earnings will likely be only modestly better, and the end of this is not yet in sight.) There are companies with multiple $billion market caps that are likely to be out of business by the end of 2021.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:14 pm

“Tps has, from the beginning, been consistently saying that the economic fallout will be worse than the disease. “

How does one quantify this statement?
What is the value of a death or infection vs a job loss or business failure? Tough question I suppose.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19879
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:20 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:14 pm
“Tps has, from the beginning, been consistently saying that the economic fallout will be worse than the disease. “

How does one quantify this statement?
What is the value of a death or infection vs a job loss or business failure? Tough question I suppose.
You say you live in reality. Here’s some reality:
The avg death age from Covid is 78. The avg death in the US without Covid is 78 years old.
So statistically speaking you are on borrowed time if your older than 78 with or without Covid. That’s the reality you live in.
Prior to the lockdown we were near full employment. Now we have 11% plus unemployed that’s reality.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9831
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 pm

tps: I said this the first time you posted that statistic. The life expectancy is 78 in the US. But if you reach 70, your life expectancy is 85.3. If you reach 80, your life expectancy is 89.1. The 78 number includes all that die young. So, statistically speaking, if you reach 70, you shouldn't expect to die at 78, and those killed by the virus were probably robbed of 7 or 8 years (10%) of their lives.

And oh, btw: If you reach 80 and your life expectancy is 89, that's higher here in the US than in Sweden, France, England and Japan.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19879
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 pm
tps: I said this the first time you posted that statistic. The life expectancy is 78 in the US. But if you reach 70, your life expectancy is 85.3. If you reach 80, your life expectancy is 89.1. The 78 number includes all that die young. So, statistically speaking, if you reach 70, you shouldn't expect to die at 78, and those killed by the virus were probably robbed of 7 or 8 years (10%) of their lives.
That’s called a moving avg.
completely different statistic.
Life expectancy is 78 the day your born.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9831
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 pm
tps: I said this the first time you posted that statistic. The life expectancy is 78 in the US. But if you reach 70, your life expectancy is 85.3. If you reach 80, your life expectancy is 89.1. The 78 number includes all that die young. So, statistically speaking, if you reach 70, you shouldn't expect to die at 78, and those killed by the virus were probably robbed of 7 or 8 years (10%) of their lives.
That’s called a moving avg.
completely different statistic.
Life expectancy is 78 the day your born.
Agreed.

But those that were killed at 78 weren't living on borrowed time. I guess you can look at it either way.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19879
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:54 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 pm
tps: I said this the first time you posted that statistic. The life expectancy is 78 in the US. But if you reach 70, your life expectancy is 85.3. If you reach 80, your life expectancy is 89.1. The 78 number includes all that die young. So, statistically speaking, if you reach 70, you shouldn't expect to die at 78, and those killed by the virus were probably robbed of 7 or 8 years (10%) of their lives.
That’s called a moving avg.
completely different statistic.
Life expectancy is 78 the day your born.
Agreed.

But those that were killed at 78 weren't living on borrowed time. I guess you can look at it either way.
You can’t say that because it’s statistically unproven.
Statistically speaking you are on borrowed time is you live past 78 today. Some of those over 78 may have already had underlying conditions as pointed out in the Covid stats. Every age is susceptible to getting the virus. My point is if your 78 or older you’re probably going to die with or without it “statistically” speaking.
So dying from the virus is just another cause of death that still results in a statical fact that the avg US citizen today will die around 78 years of age.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
Low Tide
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:45 am
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:20 pm

Statistically speaking, if you are 78 your life expectancy isn't zero.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:33 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:54 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 pm
tps: I said this the first time you posted that statistic. The life expectancy is 78 in the US. But if you reach 70, your life expectancy is 85.3. If you reach 80, your life expectancy is 89.1. The 78 number includes all that die young. So, statistically speaking, if you reach 70, you shouldn't expect to die at 78, and those killed by the virus were probably robbed of 7 or 8 years (10%) of their lives.
That’s called a moving avg.
completely different statistic.
Life expectancy is 78 the day your born.
Agreed.

But those that were killed at 78 weren't living on borrowed time. I guess you can look at it either way.
You can’t say that because it’s statistically unproven.
Statistically speaking you are on borrowed time is you live past 78 today. Some of those over 78 may have already had underlying conditions as pointed out in the Covid stats. Every age is susceptible to getting the virus. My point is if your 78 or older you’re probably going to die with or without it “statistically” speaking.
So dying from the virus is just another cause of death that still results in a statical fact that the avg US citizen today will die around 78 years of age.
Grandma and grandpa are dying at the same average age (very reasonable) but at a higher rate because if the virus. Something I suppose we must accept to move the economy.

Btw CNN stinks almost as bad as foxnews, it’s close. Avoid both.
Post Reply