Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 15662
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:27 am

Since no one has posted that they have contracted the virus I am assuming all are well so far. I hope that's the case and that it stays that way for all here.


JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9166
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:26 am

winwave wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:27 am
Since no one has posted that they have contracted the virus I am assuming all are well so far. I hope that's the case and that it stays that way for all here.
Amen.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2354
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:36 am

anEngineer
Surge
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:34 pm

winwave wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:27 am
Since no one has posted that they have contracted the virus I am assuming all are well so far. I hope that's the case and that it stays that way for all here.
I guess that means Sean Payton isn't a regular poster here.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9166
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:31 pm

I was able to play golf today, but the word is our Governor is about to order all golf courses in the state closed. The fact of the mater is I'm a whole lot closer to 15-20 others when I'm in my apartment than I am with my 3 friends on the golf course. Some of these measures are getting ridiculous. At least we don't have mandatory quarantine (yet).
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9166
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:33 pm

I wonder about when we're getting through this how the different leagues will re-start or start their seasons? I would imagine MLB will give the teams a week or maybe two and go. The NHL has to decide if they're going to finish the regular season or just start the playoffs with the standings when they shut down. Likewise for the NBA. Depending upon how long this all lasts (and I'm already tired of how much it's affecting my life) what about the NFL and College football. Do they have shortened "fall" camps if things aren't back to normal by Aug 1?

All I know is I really miss sports! And I hope a rush back to playing doesn't lead to injuries.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2354
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:24 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:31 pm
I was able to play golf today, but the word is our Governor is about to order all golf courses in the state closed. The fact of the mater is I'm a whole lot closer to 15-20 others when I'm in my apartment than I am with my 3 friends on the golf course. Some of these measures are getting ridiculous. At least we don't have mandatory quarantine (yet).
I read of a course that cuts the pins and leaves the cups elevated 1" higher than the surface of the green. If your shot strikes the cup, you are deemed to have holed out. This spares you from touching the flag. Also read that Pinehurst is encouraging players to NOT use the rakes after a trap shot but to smooth the sand with their shoes.

D, I've two questions for you:
  • Will we return to the way we were or will we live in such fear of a more deadly, future outbreak that we will no longer have any close contact with others? If this, then how will it affect team sports?
  • How is life in CN? Are most groceries readily available? What is your level of 'lockdown'?
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9166
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:59 am

GreenLantern wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:24 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:31 pm
I was able to play golf today, but the word is our Governor is about to order all golf courses in the state closed. The fact of the mater is I'm a whole lot closer to 15-20 others when I'm in my apartment than I am with my 3 friends on the golf course. Some of these measures are getting ridiculous. At least we don't have mandatory quarantine (yet).
I read of a course that cuts the pins and leaves the cups elevated 1" higher than the surface of the green. If your shot strikes the cup, you are deemed to have holed out. This spares you from touching the flag. Also read that Pinehurst is encouraging players to NOT use the rakes after a trap shot but to smooth the sand with their shoes.

D, I've two questions for you:
  • Will we return to the way we were or will we live in such fear of a more deadly, future outbreak that we will no longer have any close contact with others? If this, then how will it affect team sports?
  • How is life in CN? Are most groceries readily available? What is your level of 'lockdown'?
Here at my local course they put the cups in upside down and ask that you leave the pin in so that you can pull the ball out without making contact with the cup. No rakes for sand traps, and no ball washers. One of the two courses owned by Stamford is definitely closing as of tomorrow, the other course will remain open unless the Governor orders all courses closed. I have a tee time for Friday, we're hoping it's going to be open.

Groceries are hit an miss. If you happen to get to a store that has recently re-stocked, you can usually get most of what you need. I personally have been limiting my trips out of the house to shopping, and am about to start getting curbside pickup of grocery orders I place online. Restaurants can only offer take out, and most will bring your order to your car.

The Governor has declared a state of emergency and all "non-essential" business will be closed effective tomorrow night through April 22. He has not issued mandatory quarantines, but has a mandate of "Stay Home, Stay Safe."

I certainly hope things return to normal when this is over. I certainly think how severe this becomes and how many deaths will impact whether or not we get back to the way things were a short time ago.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19506
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:47 am

NY first to roll out drug treatment (malaria drug combo)
This may finally calm some fears.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/22/coronav ... uying.html
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2354
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Governor Edwards just announced a state-wide essential-travel-only order. According to him, "this was the most logical next step for Louisiana as cases have grown from zero to more than 800 in just two weeks, making the state's growth rate faster than any other state or country in the world."

Read that again! Louisiana's rate of spread is faster than any other state or country in the world. Guess the scientists were right and all of the it's-nothing-but-a-hoax folks were mistaken.

By the way, anyone given any thought to how complicated life would become if a Cat 3 or *gasp* 4 hurricane should blow ashore and cause all of us to huddle up in evacuation mode?
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19506
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:53 pm

GreenLantern wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:49 pm
Governor Edwards just announced a state-wide essential-travel-only order. According to him, "this was the most logical next step for Louisiana as cases have grown from zero to more than 800 in just two weeks, making the state's growth rate faster than any other state or country in the world."

Read that again! Louisiana's rate of spread is faster than any other state or country in the world. Guess the scientists were right and all of the it's-nothing-but-a-hoax folks were mistaken.

By the way, anyone given any thought to how complicated life would become if a Cat 3 or *gasp* 4 hurricane should blow ashore and cause all of us to huddle up in evacuation mode?
NOLA the real problem.
Influx of tourists in town for Mardi Gras the big reason. The rest of the state really not a problem.
If you look at the stats. It’s mostly cities that have a high % of tourism.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9166
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:23 pm

I'd also be willing to bet that the rate of growth is a direct correlation to number of tests performed. West Virginia was the last state to have a positive case because it was the last state to administer a state.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19506
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm

Actually Louisiana trending down. It’s NOLA that’s the problem.
Image
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5700
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:16 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm
Actually Louisiana trending down. It’s NOLA that’s the problem.
Image
LA population is much smaller than the states listed, accept CO and that is the biggest outlier.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 3668
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:16 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm
Actually Louisiana trending down. It’s NOLA that’s the problem.
Image
LA population is much smaller than the states listed, except(fify) CO and that is the biggest outlier.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19506
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:48 pm

Combo drugs shorten the downtime
https://apple.news/AT8dd4pswS7WldMfs5TLdGQ
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5700
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:16 pm

Wave755 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:16 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm
Actually Louisiana trending down. It’s NOLA that’s the problem.
Image
LA population is much smaller than the states listed, except(fify) CO and that is the biggest outlier.
The hell was your point?
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9166
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:35 pm

According to the CDC, here in CT where we're starting our 2nd week of mostly self inflicted isolation, we're probably 8-12 weeks from thinking about moving back towards "normal". In other words, roughly 3 months from when folks started taking this seriously.

And if we don't lose 1.5-3% of the population, this "social distancing" thing will have been a huge success. It sucks, it really does. But the alternative is much worse.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 3668
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:22 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:16 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:16 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm
Actually Louisiana trending down. It’s NOLA that’s the problem.
Image
LA population is much smaller than the states listed, except(fify) CO and that is the biggest outlier.
The hell was your point?
Corrected except for “accept.”👌🏻😂
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5700
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Wave755 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:22 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:16 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:16 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm
Actually Louisiana trending down. It’s NOLA that’s the problem.
Image
LA population is much smaller than the states listed, except(fify) CO and that is the biggest outlier.
The hell was your point?
Corrected except for “accept.”👌🏻😂
Well done.
You should use your free time during this isolation period to correct the grammar for the rest of this site. You should be done when this virus ends in a few months. During your breaks from posting corrections, I invite you to kiss my a$$, just PM an address, I will be sure to wash my hands before meeting up.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 3668
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:02 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:22 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:16 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:16 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm
Actually Louisiana trending down. It’s NOLA that’s the problem.
Image
LA population is much smaller than the states listed, except(fify) CO and that is the biggest outlier.
The hell was your point?
Corrected except for “accept.”👌🏻😂
Well done.
You should use your free time during this isolation period to correct the grammar for the rest of this site. You should be done when this virus ends in a few months. During your breaks from posting corrections, I invite you to kiss my a$$, just PM an address, I will be sure to wash my hands before meeting up.
”Fify” stands for “fixed it for you.” And, the correction was for diction, not grammar!🤦🏻‍♂️Sad, truly sad!😂😂😂
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5700
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:13 am

Wave755 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:02 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:22 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:16 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:16 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm
Actually Louisiana trending down. It’s NOLA that’s the problem.
Image
LA population is much smaller than the states listed, except(fify) CO and that is the biggest outlier.
The hell was your point?
Corrected except for “accept.”👌🏻😂
Well done.
You should use your free time during this isolation period to correct the grammar for the rest of this site. You should be done when this virus ends in a few months. During your breaks from posting corrections, I invite you to kiss my a$$, just PM an address, I will be sure to wash my hands before meeting up.
”Fify” stands for “fixed it for you.” And, the correction was for diction, not grammar!🤦🏻‍♂️Sad, truly sad!😂😂😂
Get to work correcting other posts. This online community desperately needs your help as your corrections add incredible value.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 3668
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:19 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:13 am
Wave755 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:02 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:22 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:16 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:16 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm
Actually Louisiana trending down. It’s NOLA that’s the problem.
Image
LA population is much smaller than the states listed, except(fify) CO and that is the biggest outlier.
The hell was your point?
Corrected except for “accept.”👌🏻😂
Well done.
You should use your free time during this isolation period to correct the grammar for the rest of this site. You should be done when this virus ends in a few months. During your breaks from posting corrections, I invite you to kiss my a$$, just PM an address, I will be sure to wash my hands before meeting up.
”Fify” stands for “fixed it for you.” And, the correction was for diction, not grammar!🤦🏻‍♂️Sad, truly sad!😂😂😂
Get to work correcting other posts. This online community desperately needs your help as your corrections add incredible value.
👍🏻😎👌🏻, but happily our other posters due seem quite literate?🤷🏻‍♂️
Last edited by Wave755 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9166
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 am

Hey, winwave, aren't you glad this isn't you and me arguing?

8-) :cheers:
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 15662
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:33 am

DfromCT wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 am
Hey, winwave, aren't you glad this isn't you and me arguing?

8-) :cheers:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
Post Reply