Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9505
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu May 14, 2020 12:23 pm

GL thanks for that very moving post. It's definitely well done, but a little dark and somber. I guess honoring those we've lost is nothing that is going to be light and airy.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5767
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Sat May 16, 2020 9:29 pm

Marshall Faulk, a football life. youtube. Check it out to pass the time, really good. Lots of NOLA and TU stuff. No idea why TU did not offer.

User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19709
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat May 16, 2020 11:10 pm

There won’t be a huge second wave. I hit about 6 bars/restaurants tonight and they were 1/4 filled at best. The government has scared the hell out of everyone. Most people aren’t coming out. I would expect many restaurants will close permanently during Phase 1 or decide to close and wait for Phase 3. Those people that went out were mostly young in their 20-30’s. Beaches and parks may be overcrowded but it won’t help the economy because no one is spending money there.
My gym has about 20% of pre-virus now. People aren’t going out like I thought. I believe it will take a vaccine to get maybe 75% of the people back to pre-virus activities. The country is in trouble.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5767
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Sat May 16, 2020 11:41 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:10 pm
There won’t be a huge second wave. I hit about 6 bars/restaurants tonight and they were 1/4 filled at best. The government has scared the hell out of everyone. Most people aren’t coming out. I would expect many restaurants will close permanently during Phase 1 or decide to close and wait for Phase 3. Those people that went out were mostly young in their 20-30’s. Beaches and parks may be overcrowded but it won’t help the economy because no one is spending money there.
My gym has about 20% of pre-virus now. People aren’t going out like I thought. I believe it will take a vaccine to get maybe 75% of the people back to pre-virus activities. The country is in trouble.
One day, solid dataset either way.
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Sun May 17, 2020 1:41 am

tpstulane wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:10 pm
There won’t be a huge second wave. I hit about 6 bars/restaurants tonight and they were 1/4 filled at best. The government has scared the hell out of everyone. Most people aren’t coming out. I would expect many restaurants will close permanently during Phase 1 or decide to close and wait for Phase 3. Those people that went out were mostly young in their 20-30’s. Beaches and parks may be overcrowded but it won’t help the economy because no one is spending money there.
My gym has about 20% of pre-virus now. People aren’t going out like I thought. I believe it will take a vaccine to get maybe 75% of the people back to pre-virus activities. The country is in trouble.
Here in TLV we reopened like 2 weeks ago....it's as if corona never happened now.....beaches are packed, people are pretty lax with mask wearing, etc. 2 weeks ago people didn't know to act, lots anxiety. And here got onboard with lockdown much earlier and way less backlash.

Humans adjust quickly but it takes a little time.
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 2072
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Sun May 17, 2020 3:07 am

Ruski wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:41 am
Here in TLV
Tel Aviv?
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19709
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:41 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:10 pm
There won’t be a huge second wave. I hit about 6 bars/restaurants tonight and they were 1/4 filled at best. The government has scared the hell out of everyone. Most people aren’t coming out. I would expect many restaurants will close permanently during Phase 1 or decide to close and wait for Phase 3. Those people that went out were mostly young in their 20-30’s. Beaches and parks may be overcrowded but it won’t help the economy because no one is spending money there.
My gym has about 20% of pre-virus now. People aren’t going out like I thought. I believe it will take a vaccine to get maybe 75% of the people back to pre-virus activities. The country is in trouble.
One day, solid dataset either way.
Yes. It’s an early prediction. Two weekend days (Friday and Saturday). I observed about the same on Friday.
Weekdays won’t be an issue. . Weekends will give you a better feel for any huge second wave. The workers I observed were wearing masks and gloves.
The outdoor seating ok vs indoor not ok cracks me up. People think they are safer sitting next to one another outside now vs inside because of the government guidelines. So you’re seeing beach and parks being packed. Restaurants have figured out that also. They are now putting tents, tables and chairs outside in their parking lots to encourage more people to “feel” safer in hopes they come out.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Sun May 17, 2020 8:57 am

ajcalhoun wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:07 am
Ruski wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:41 am
Here in TLV
Tel Aviv?
yup. the green waves are bit saltier over here :mrgreen:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sun May 17, 2020 9:14 am

over hear in Central Texas...a Claratin with a shot of Lemon Juice, and U are good to go...no waves, just fresh clean air with low humidity ( compared to NOLA )...now onward to making a Tee Time for this afternoon
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 15888
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun May 17, 2020 9:23 am

tpstulane wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:41 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:10 pm
There won’t be a huge second wave. I hit about 6 bars/restaurants tonight and they were 1/4 filled at best. The government has scared the hell out of everyone. Most people aren’t coming out. I would expect many restaurants will close permanently during Phase 1 or decide to close and wait for Phase 3. Those people that went out were mostly young in their 20-30’s. Beaches and parks may be overcrowded but it won’t help the economy because no one is spending money there.
My gym has about 20% of pre-virus now. People aren’t going out like I thought. I believe it will take a vaccine to get maybe 75% of the people back to pre-virus activities. The country is in trouble.
One day, solid dataset either way.
Yes. It’s an early prediction. Two weekend days (Friday and Saturday). I observed about the same on Friday.
Weekdays won’t be an issue. . Weekends will give you a better feel for any huge second wave. The workers I observed were wearing masks and gloves.
The outdoor seating ok vs indoor not ok cracks me up. People think they are safer sitting next to one another outside now vs inside because of the government guidelines. So you’re seeing beach and parks being packed. Restaurants have figured out that also. They are now putting tents, tables and chairs outside in their parking lots to encourage more people to “feel” safer in hopes they come out.
Places packed on the southshore and no one following social distancing. As to the tents those businesses put them up May 1st when the governor allowed customers to eat outside. They are being left up now to make up for the space they can't use inside. The governor even acknowledged that when he started this phase of the re-opening. Has nothing to do with people believing they are safer outside.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19709
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun May 17, 2020 11:49 am

winwave wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:23 am
tpstulane wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:41 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:10 pm
There won’t be a huge second wave. I hit about 6 bars/restaurants tonight and they were 1/4 filled at best. The government has scared the hell out of everyone. Most people aren’t coming out. I would expect many restaurants will close permanently during Phase 1 or decide to close and wait for Phase 3. Those people that went out were mostly young in their 20-30’s. Beaches and parks may be overcrowded but it won’t help the economy because no one is spending money there.
My gym has about 20% of pre-virus now. People aren’t going out like I thought. I believe it will take a vaccine to get maybe 75% of the people back to pre-virus activities. The country is in trouble.
One day, solid dataset either way.
Yes. It’s an early prediction. Two weekend days (Friday and Saturday). I observed about the same on Friday.
Weekdays won’t be an issue. . Weekends will give you a better feel for any huge second wave. The workers I observed were wearing masks and gloves.
The outdoor seating ok vs indoor not ok cracks me up. People think they are safer sitting next to one another outside now vs inside because of the government guidelines. So you’re seeing beach and parks being packed. Restaurants have figured out that also. They are now putting tents, tables and chairs outside in their parking lots to encourage more people to “feel” safer in hopes they come out.
Places packed on the southshore and no one following social distancing. As to the tents those businesses put them up May 1st when the governor allowed customers to eat outside. They are being left up now to make up for the space they can't use inside. The governor even acknowledged that when he started this phase of the re-opening. Has nothing to do with people believing they are safer outside.
Ok. I haven’t followed much of governors daily briefings. But from what I can see over here on the Northshore they are continuing to add more tents since May 1st. I went inside a popular restaurant last night and where they allowed inside seating. However there were more people choosing to sit outside under the tent. The waitress told me people feel safer sitting outside breathing fresh air vs inside. That’s all.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 15888
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun May 17, 2020 2:00 pm

I'm sure there are some that may feel that way but the addition of the tents is because of the response the businesses got when they reopened with only outdoor seating on May 1st. They didn't know what to expect. When they got such a good response they ordered more tents. They knew the phase one opening was going to limit them inside so they saw the opportunity to make up for that lost space as there was no limitation imposed on the added outdoor seating other than their physical area available. So many now have more space than they did before. That's the driving force behind all the tents.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Sun May 17, 2020 4:04 pm

Image
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 2923
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sun May 17, 2020 4:46 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:41 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:10 pm
There won’t be a huge second wave. I hit about 6 bars/restaurants tonight and they were 1/4 filled at best. The government has scared the hell out of everyone. Most people aren’t coming out. I would expect many restaurants will close permanently during Phase 1 or decide to close and wait for Phase 3. Those people that went out were mostly young in their 20-30’s. Beaches and parks may be overcrowded but it won’t help the economy because no one is spending money there.
My gym has about 20% of pre-virus now. People aren’t going out like I thought. I believe it will take a vaccine to get maybe 75% of the people back to pre-virus activities. The country is in trouble.
One day, solid dataset either way.
Yes. It’s an early prediction. Two weekend days (Friday and Saturday). I observed about the same on Friday.
Weekdays won’t be an issue. . Weekends will give you a better feel for any huge second wave. The workers I observed were wearing masks and gloves.
The outdoor seating ok vs indoor not ok cracks me up. People think they are safer sitting next to one another outside now vs inside because of the government guidelines. So you’re seeing beach and parks being packed. Restaurants have figured out that also. They are now putting tents, tables and chairs outside in their parking lots to encourage more people to “feel” safer in hopes they come out.
Here in Colorado it's opening up pretty quickly, traffic is picking up and stores are jam packed, with long lines to get in. Mask and distance compliance is pretty good overall, but the high school and college kids are throwing caution to the wind--no masks and large groupings.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5767
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Mon May 18, 2020 4:20 am

tpstulane wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:49 am
winwave wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:23 am
tpstulane wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:41 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:10 pm
There won’t be a huge second wave. I hit about 6 bars/restaurants tonight and they were 1/4 filled at best. The government has scared the hell out of everyone. Most people aren’t coming out. I would expect many restaurants will close permanently during Phase 1 or decide to close and wait for Phase 3. Those people that went out were mostly young in their 20-30’s. Beaches and parks may be overcrowded but it won’t help the economy because no one is spending money there.
My gym has about 20% of pre-virus now. People aren’t going out like I thought. I believe it will take a vaccine to get maybe 75% of the people back to pre-virus activities. The country is in trouble.
One day, solid dataset either way.
Yes. It’s an early prediction. Two weekend days (Friday and Saturday). I observed about the same on Friday.
Weekdays won’t be an issue. . Weekends will give you a better feel for any huge second wave. The workers I observed were wearing masks and gloves.
The outdoor seating ok vs indoor not ok cracks me up. People think they are safer sitting next to one another outside now vs inside because of the government guidelines. So you’re seeing beach and parks being packed. Restaurants have figured out that also. They are now putting tents, tables and chairs outside in their parking lots to encourage more people to “feel” safer in hopes they come out.
Places packed on the southshore and no one following social distancing. As to the tents those businesses put them up May 1st when the governor allowed customers to eat outside. They are being left up now to make up for the space they can't use inside. The governor even acknowledged that when he started this phase of the re-opening. Has nothing to do with people believing they are safer outside.
Ok. I haven’t followed much of governors daily briefings. But from what I can see over here on the Northshore they are continuing to add more tents since May 1st. I went inside a popular restaurant last night and where they allowed inside seating. However there were more people choosing to sit outside under the tent. The waitress told me people feel safer sitting outside breathing fresh air vs inside. That’s all.
The north shore is very different from the realities in the south shore. Is that clear?
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Mon May 18, 2020 6:44 am

Georgia, Florida and Texas are approaching 3 weeks being open. There is no death spiral coming for you no matter how much the media wants it. Stop listening to them and go enjoy a restaurant or bar.
We either live and take our chances or hide and enter a Great Depression, and people will die anyways.
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 2923
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Mon May 18, 2020 8:30 am

Show Me wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:44 am
Georgia, Florida and Texas are approaching 3 weeks being open. There is no death spiral coming for you no matter how much the media wants it. Stop listening to them and go enjoy a restaurant or bar.
We either live and take our chances or hide and enter a Great Depression, and people will die anyways.
+1,000. The Emperor Has No Clothes, and neither do many of the all knowing “scientist”, as well as the panic merchants in the media and political worlds. Heaven forbid we get back to some degree of normalcy, and their 15 minutes comes to an end.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Mon May 18, 2020 9:21 am

HoustonWave wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:30 am
Show Me wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:44 am
Georgia, Florida and Texas are approaching 3 weeks being open. There is no death spiral coming for you no matter how much the media wants it. Stop listening to them and go enjoy a restaurant or bar.
We either live and take our chances or hide and enter a Great Depression, and people will die anyways.
+1,000. The Emperor Has No Clothes, and neither do many of the all knowing “scientist”, as well as the panic merchants in the media and political worlds. Heaven forbid we get back to some degree of normalcy, and their 15 minutes comes to an end.
without the "pandemic, the majority of the all alphabet media types, as well as members of a particular political party, would have nothing to say. The shutdown, is their way instilling fear, dragging the economy to a halt, and making many reliant on Federal subsidies, without the designer ice cream of course.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 2923
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Mon May 18, 2020 11:30 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:21 am
HoustonWave wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:30 am
Show Me wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:44 am
Georgia, Florida and Texas are approaching 3 weeks being open. There is no death spiral coming for you no matter how much the media wants it. Stop listening to them and go enjoy a restaurant or bar.
We either live and take our chances or hide and enter a Great Depression, and people will die anyways.
+1,000. The Emperor Has No Clothes, and neither do many of the all knowing “scientist”, as well as the panic merchants in the media and political worlds. Heaven forbid we get back to some degree of normalcy, and their 15 minutes comes to an end.
without the "pandemic, the majority of the all alphabet media types, as well as members of a particular political party, would have nothing to say. The shutdown, is their way instilling fear, dragging the economy to a halt, and making many reliant on Federal subsidies, without the designer ice cream of course.....
…..without the designer ice cream.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Mon May 18, 2020 11:49 am

I've gotta admit, there is a lot of very promising news on the COVID situation. As I type this, the market is up over 3%, mostly because of those overemotional researchers at Moderna who have had very good preliminary results for a vaccine.

BTW, until such time as a vaccine is available to all of us, there's still this:

User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm

7.8 billion people in the world.
316,000 died from Covid-19.
Let that sink in.
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell
Posts: 1060
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Mon May 18, 2020 3:38 pm

Show Me wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm
7.8 billion people in the world.
316,000 died from Covid-19.
Let that sink in.
316k and still rising with the US pushing 85k deaths. Let's be honest with ourselves. If the world / US didn't take aggressive measures, those numbers would be much higher. I mean even the orange man said it himself, deaths in the US would be millions.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9505
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Mon May 18, 2020 4:46 pm

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:38 pm
Show Me wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm
7.8 billion people in the world.
316,000 died from Covid-19.
Let that sink in.
316k and still rising with the US pushing 85k deaths. Let's be honest with ourselves. If the world / US didn't take aggressive measures, those numbers would be much higher. I mean even the orange man said it himself, deaths in the US would be millions.
And a lot of fools post that we did the wrong thing because it worked and millions of lives were saved. Let's also not forget that the real count that matters will be in 2022, when it's peaked and behind us as other pandemics have taken 2-3 years to peak.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 2923
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Mon May 18, 2020 5:20 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:46 pm
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:38 pm
Show Me wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm
7.8 billion people in the world.
316,000 died from Covid-19.
Let that sink in.
316k and still rising with the US pushing 85k deaths. Let's be honest with ourselves. If the world / US didn't take aggressive measures, those numbers would be much higher. I mean even the orange man said it himself, deaths in the US would be millions.
And a lot of fools post that we did the wrong thing because it worked and millions of lives were saved. Let's also not forget that the real count that matters will be in 2022, when it's peaked and behind us as other pandemics have taken 2-3 years to peak.
We'll never know how many lives were saved or not by the Great Hunkerdown. I don't put stock in the "scientists" bogus models of what might have been. You're absolutely right that we won't be able to even begin to assess whether we did the right thing, or completely over reacted, until 2022. And it will be really interesting to compare the lockdown countries to Sweden and Taiwan where they didn't implement a broad based lockdown--they just locked down on the vulnerable segments of their populations. But on a per capita basis, C-19 has a long way to go before it approaches many past pandemics, including those where we had no lock down.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
swampnik
Surge
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 am
Location: Paris, France et NOLA
Status: Offline

Tue May 19, 2020 3:23 am

Bonjour à tous, Paris calling! Macron set the nation and capital free on May 11th. We got to ditch our "Vichy style walking papers" that day and France was the only country ordered to carry papers on you outside to show the police. You would think Macron would have known how that would look to older folks and history buffs, non? Currently, thanks to 2 month lock-down, the French are still displaying signs of being model citizens that follow orders well. (who would have thought the French could do this). People can choose to work from office or home, Churches closed, most schools, universities, restos (only take away still), parks closed, some beaches opening, max groupings of 10 people. 100 kilometers max by car journeys. More changes scheduled for June 1st, perhaps movies and restaurants opening. One thing being stressed in Europe (as opposed to USA), is that central A/C in restaurants can easily contaminate all the people in resto if one is sick, so they are going to encourage patio seating as an option as well (then you have to put up with smokers though). Prends soin de vous mes Greenies!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Post Reply