Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Tue May 12, 2020 9:42 am

Making it simple for LSU and ULL folks.

Image


User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Tue May 12, 2020 10:08 am

The black plague was one of the greatest boons to Western civilization. It quickly ended fuedalism (lucky/Unlucky sperm club dark age) and brought about the Merchant class which ultimately led to the renaissance.
Herd immunity👍because as Hank Williams says "we'll never get out of this world alive".
The herd needs a little culling and if by chance my jig is up, I'm all right with that.
Last edited by wave97 on Tue May 12, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 2923
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Tue May 12, 2020 10:51 am

tpstulane wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:49 am
Bigschtick wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:47 am
nawlinspete wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:22 am
You are sooo wrong . We are a mobile society . Just because Louisiana is far from California and Massachusetts does not mean we cannot be infected by someone from there .

The people walking around grocery stores without wearing masks need to be told to leave , or arrested , or both .

Social Distancing is here for the long haul ; give it up , football is not important this fall .
Exactly!
Start saving for the next depression
I think it's already here.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Tue May 12, 2020 1:39 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:51 am
tpstulane wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:49 am
Bigschtick wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:47 am
nawlinspete wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:22 am
You are sooo wrong . We are a mobile society . Just because Louisiana is far from California and Massachusetts does not mean we cannot be infected by someone from there .

The people walking around grocery stores without wearing masks need to be told to leave , or arrested , or both .

Social Distancing is here for the long haul ; give it up , football is not important this fall .
Exactly!
Start saving for the next depression
I think it's already here.
Never a better time for opportunities!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue May 12, 2020 2:03 pm

wave97 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:39 pm
HoustonWave wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:51 am
tpstulane wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:49 am
Bigschtick wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:47 am
nawlinspete wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:22 am
You are sooo wrong . We are a mobile society . Just because Louisiana is far from California and Massachusetts does not mean we cannot be infected by someone from there .

The people walking around grocery stores without wearing masks need to be told to leave , or arrested , or both .

Social Distancing is here for the long haul ; give it up , football is not important this fall .
Exactly!
Start saving for the next depression
I think it's already here.
Never a better time for opportunities!
ain't that no lie...my Broker is tired of taking my calls.... U may wish to investigate the "hospitality industry" especially those with Vegas connections
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 7568
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue May 12, 2020 6:23 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:16 pm
If we recklessly open the states, the 2nd wave will be worse than the first. We took steps and did a good job as a nation. Yes, certain areas that have little or no cases should get back to normal. It should be on a county by county (or parish by parish) basis. You need to show at least 14 CONSECUTIVE days of fewer hospitalizations as a starting point.

Let's get America going again without risking giving back what we've gained by staying home for the past month.
This post is about 3 1/2 weeks old now, and I want to make reference to a specific thing you said, D. You said it should be on a county by county basis. As of RIGHT NOW, the second week of May, FIFTY-TWO PERCENT (52%) of counties in the entire country have ZERO deaths. So why is 90% of the country shut down? No one says open the doors and go back to normal. But governors and mayors need to have some COMMON SENSE, instead of playing political football. There are many places that could be open, should be open, and should have never been closed. That's a fact and no amount of liberal whining is going to change it.

I also saw another graphic a couple of days ago, but couldn't find the link to post it. It was a map of the US, showing all the counties, broken down into 3 colors, 1/3 of all cases were in the NYC/NJ/Long Island area. ONE-THIRD. The second 1/3 was Chicago, Detroit, and a few other NE urban areas. The REST of the country combined had the last 1/3 of the cases. NO SOUTHERN city, county, parish or region were in the top two thirds.

Bottom line, yes, there's a bunch of deaths. Its also, terribly inflated, and its NOT nationwide. For example, our average flu season is 25-60K. So how is it this year we only have 6K flu deaths? Because a lot of flu deaths are getting classified as Covid-19 FOR THE MONEY. And the biggest reason we have as many deaths as we do is because governors do stupid things. Like Cuomo forcing nursing homes to take in Covid patients. Jesus Christ, my 5 year old granddaughter could have told you how that would turn out.

We had the 1918 college football season, and pro baseball season and WWI, in the midst of the Spanish Flu pandemic, which by EVERY account was far worse than this virus.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9505
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue May 12, 2020 6:34 pm

Your post has that "tone of voice" (which is ridiculous I'll admit) attacking me for my post a few weeks ago. I personally don't see much difference between your post attacking mine and what mine said!!!! What makes me a liberal? Please, tell me, other than a disdain for Trump, what makes me a liberal, and what the hell does it have to do with getting our country open again?

And I'm sorry, but if you count Chicago as an NE city, you've lost 1000% of your credibility.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 2923
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Tue May 12, 2020 6:51 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:23 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:16 pm
If we recklessly open the states, the 2nd wave will be worse than the first. We took steps and did a good job as a nation. Yes, certain areas that have little or no cases should get back to normal. It should be on a county by county (or parish by parish) basis. You need to show at least 14 CONSECUTIVE days of fewer hospitalizations as a starting point.

Let's get America going again without risking giving back what we've gained by staying home for the past month.
This post is about 3 1/2 weeks old now, and I want to make reference to a specific thing you said, D. You said it should be on a county by county basis. As of RIGHT NOW, the second week of May, FIFTY-TWO PERCENT (52%) of counties in the entire country have ZERO deaths. So why is 90% of the country shut down? No one says open the doors and go back to normal. But governors and mayors need to have some COMMON SENSE, instead of playing political football. There are many places that could be open, should be open, and should have never been closed. That's a fact and no amount of liberal whining is going to change it.

I also saw another graphic a couple of days ago, but couldn't find the link to post it. It was a map of the US, showing all the counties, broken down into 3 colors, 1/3 of all cases were in the NYC/NJ/Long Island area. ONE-THIRD. The second 1/3 was Chicago, Detroit, and a few other NE urban areas. The REST of the country combined had the last 1/3 of the cases. NO SOUTHERN city, county, parish or region were in the top two thirds.

Bottom line, yes, there's a bunch of deaths. Its also, terribly inflated, and its NOT nationwide. For example, our average flu season is 25-60K. So how is it this year we only have 6K flu deaths? Because a lot of flu deaths are getting classified as Covid-19 FOR THE MONEY. And the biggest reason we have as many deaths as we do is because governors do stupid things. Like Cuomo forcing nursing homes to take in Covid patients. Jesus Christ, my 5 year old granddaughter could have told you how that would turn out.

We had the 1918 college football season, and pro baseball season and WWI, in the midst of the Spanish Flu pandemic, which by EVERY account was far worse than this virus.
What's wild about this whole panic, is that even if the C-19 U.S. deaths climb to 137,000 (the latest guesstimate from the scientific experts), it will still not even measure up in per capita lethality to the 1957 Asian Flu or the 1968 Hong Kong Flu when nothing was closed, other than schools that closed when 30% of their student body was absent--which was very few schools. Below 30% absence the schools kept going, and no businesses were shut down. Unfortunately much of the current hysteria is because it is an election year, and the politics have put the media in overdrive, and even Trump has caved to much to the so called experts. As long as we don't exceed our medical capacity, which has grown tremendously over the past three months, we must get things going. And in fact, we will all be better off if we can move the infection rate up to at least 40% by the end of the summer--which will make the second wave far more manageable.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Tue May 12, 2020 8:04 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:51 pm
RobertM320 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:23 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:16 pm
If we recklessly open the states, the 2nd wave will be worse than the first. We took steps and did a good job as a nation. Yes, certain areas that have little or no cases should get back to normal. It should be on a county by county (or parish by parish) basis. You need to show at least 14 CONSECUTIVE days of fewer hospitalizations as a starting point.

Let's get America going again without risking giving back what we've gained by staying home for the past month.
This post is about 3 1/2 weeks old now, and I want to make reference to a specific thing you said, D. You said it should be on a county by county basis. As of RIGHT NOW, the second week of May, FIFTY-TWO PERCENT (52%) of counties in the entire country have ZERO deaths. So why is 90% of the country shut down? No one says open the doors and go back to normal. But governors and mayors need to have some COMMON SENSE, instead of playing political football. There are many places that could be open, should be open, and should have never been closed. That's a fact and no amount of liberal whining is going to change it.

I also saw another graphic a couple of days ago, but couldn't find the link to post it. It was a map of the US, showing all the counties, broken down into 3 colors, 1/3 of all cases were in the NYC/NJ/Long Island area. ONE-THIRD. The second 1/3 was Chicago, Detroit, and a few other NE urban areas. The REST of the country combined had the last 1/3 of the cases. NO SOUTHERN city, county, parish or region were in the top two thirds.

Bottom line, yes, there's a bunch of deaths. Its also, terribly inflated, and its NOT nationwide. For example, our average flu season is 25-60K. So how is it this year we only have 6K flu deaths? Because a lot of flu deaths are getting classified as Covid-19 FOR THE MONEY. And the biggest reason we have as many deaths as we do is because governors do stupid things. Like Cuomo forcing nursing homes to take in Covid patients. Jesus Christ, my 5 year old granddaughter could have told you how that would turn out.

We had the 1918 college football season, and pro baseball season and WWI, in the midst of the Spanish Flu pandemic, which by EVERY account was far worse than this virus.
What's wild about this whole panic, is that even if the C-19 U.S. deaths climb to 137,000 (the latest guesstimate from the scientific experts), it will still not even measure up in per capita lethality to the 1957 Asian Flu or the 1968 Hong Kong Flu when nothing was closed, other than schools that closed when 30% of their student body was absent--which was very few schools. Below 30% absence the schools kept going, and no businesses were shut down. Unfortunately much of the current hysteria is because it is an election year, and the politics have put the media in overdrive, and even Trump has caved to much to the so called experts. As long as we don't exceed our medical capacity, which has grown tremendously over the past three months, we must get things going. And in fact, we will all be better off if we can move the infection rate up to at least 40% by the end of the summer--which will make the second wave far more manageable.
or, to save time: Number 1 and Number 3 from the shortcut list.
slulionsfan
Ripple
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:58 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 12:13 am

HoustonWave wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:51 pm
RobertM320 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:23 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:16 pm
If we recklessly open the states, the 2nd wave will be worse than the first. We took steps and did a good job as a nation. Yes, certain areas that have little or no cases should get back to normal. It should be on a county by county (or parish by parish) basis. You need to show at least 14 CONSECUTIVE days of fewer hospitalizations as a starting point.

Let's get America going again without risking giving back what we've gained by staying home for the past month.
This post is about 3 1/2 weeks old now, and I want to make reference to a specific thing you said, D. You said it should be on a county by county basis. As of RIGHT NOW, the second week of May, FIFTY-TWO PERCENT (52%) of counties in the entire country have ZERO deaths. So why is 90% of the country shut down? No one says open the doors and go back to normal. But governors and mayors need to have some COMMON SENSE, instead of playing political football. There are many places that could be open, should be open, and should have never been closed. That's a fact and no amount of liberal whining is going to change it.

I also saw another graphic a couple of days ago, but couldn't find the link to post it. It was a map of the US, showing all the counties, broken down into 3 colors, 1/3 of all cases were in the NYC/NJ/Long Island area. ONE-THIRD. The second 1/3 was Chicago, Detroit, and a few other NE urban areas. The REST of the country combined had the last 1/3 of the cases. NO SOUTHERN city, county, parish or region were in the top two thirds.

Bottom line, yes, there's a bunch of deaths. Its also, terribly inflated, and its NOT nationwide. For example, our average flu season is 25-60K. So how is it this year we only have 6K flu deaths? Because a lot of flu deaths are getting classified as Covid-19 FOR THE MONEY. And the biggest reason we have as many deaths as we do is because governors do stupid things. Like Cuomo forcing nursing homes to take in Covid patients. Jesus Christ, my 5 year old granddaughter could have told you how that would turn out.

We had the 1918 college football season, and pro baseball season and WWI, in the midst of the Spanish Flu pandemic, which by EVERY account was far worse than this virus.
What's wild about this whole panic, is that even if the C-19 U.S. deaths climb to 137,000 (the latest guesstimate from the scientific experts), it will still not even measure up in per capita lethality to the 1957 Asian Flu or the 1968 Hong Kong Flu when nothing was closed, other than schools that closed when 30% of their student body was absent--which was very few schools. Below 30% absence the schools kept going, and no businesses were shut down. Unfortunately much of the current hysteria is because it is an election year, and the politics have put the media in overdrive, and even Trump has caved to much to the so called experts. As long as we don't exceed our medical capacity, which has grown tremendously over the past three months, we must get things going. And in fact, we will all be better off if we can move the infection rate up to at least 40% by the end of the summer--which will make the second wave far more manageable.
False. The Hong Kong flu killed roughly 100 k Americans over a period of a year and a half, with no shutdown. COVID-19 has already killed at least 84 k in right at two months, with projections of up to 143 k by August 4th. That's over five months, with a fairly significant shutdown. There's no comparison. The orange fool says it'll magically disappear so there's that.
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 6:24 am

slulionsfan wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:13 am
HoustonWave wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:51 pm
RobertM320 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:23 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:16 pm
If we recklessly open the states, the 2nd wave will be worse than the first. We took steps and did a good job as a nation. Yes, certain areas that have little or no cases should get back to normal. It should be on a county by county (or parish by parish) basis. You need to show at least 14 CONSECUTIVE days of fewer hospitalizations as a starting point.

Let's get America going again without risking giving back what we've gained by staying home for the past month.
This post is about 3 1/2 weeks old now, and I want to make reference to a specific thing you said, D. You said it should be on a county by county basis. As of RIGHT NOW, the second week of May, FIFTY-TWO PERCENT (52%) of counties in the entire country have ZERO deaths. So why is 90% of the country shut down? No one says open the doors and go back to normal. But governors and mayors need to have some COMMON SENSE, instead of playing political football. There are many places that could be open, should be open, and should have never been closed. That's a fact and no amount of liberal whining is going to change it.

I also saw another graphic a couple of days ago, but couldn't find the link to post it. It was a map of the US, showing all the counties, broken down into 3 colors, 1/3 of all cases were in the NYC/NJ/Long Island area. ONE-THIRD. The second 1/3 was Chicago, Detroit, and a few other NE urban areas. The REST of the country combined had the last 1/3 of the cases. NO SOUTHERN city, county, parish or region were in the top two thirds.

Bottom line, yes, there's a bunch of deaths. Its also, terribly inflated, and its NOT nationwide. For example, our average flu season is 25-60K. So how is it this year we only have 6K flu deaths? Because a lot of flu deaths are getting classified as Covid-19 FOR THE MONEY. And the biggest reason we have as many deaths as we do is because governors do stupid things. Like Cuomo forcing nursing homes to take in Covid patients. Jesus Christ, my 5 year old granddaughter could have told you how that would turn out.

We had the 1918 college football season, and pro baseball season and WWI, in the midst of the Spanish Flu pandemic, which by EVERY account was far worse than this virus.
What's wild about this whole panic, is that even if the C-19 U.S. deaths climb to 137,000 (the latest guesstimate from the scientific experts), it will still not even measure up in per capita lethality to the 1957 Asian Flu or the 1968 Hong Kong Flu when nothing was closed, other than schools that closed when 30% of their student body was absent--which was very few schools. Below 30% absence the schools kept going, and no businesses were shut down. Unfortunately much of the current hysteria is because it is an election year, and the politics have put the media in overdrive, and even Trump has caved to much to the so called experts. As long as we don't exceed our medical capacity, which has grown tremendously over the past three months, we must get things going. And in fact, we will all be better off if we can move the infection rate up to at least 40% by the end of the summer--which will make the second wave far more manageable.
False. The Hong Kong flu killed roughly 100 k Americans over a period of a year and a half, with no shutdown. COVID-19 has already killed at least 84 k in right at two months, with projections of up to 143 k by August 4th. That's over five months, with a fairly significant shutdown. There's no comparison. The orange fool says it'll magically disappear so there's that.
I see we have another Trump hater out there.
Our population today is older than in 1968. Those older folks today are the majority of those dying. There is no cure for a virus only potential treatment. It will continue to spread and kill the weak until it doesn’t. Testing or lockdowns won’t stop it only may slow it. The virus going to do its thing until it runs its course.
We killed 33 million jobs on our own. You, China and all the Democrats are loving it.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9505
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 am

What would make someone say that anyone is "loving it" that 33 million lost their jobs? That's an "us versus them" mentality that is typical of why nothing gets done.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 8:37 am

DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 am
What would make someone say that anyone is "loving it" that 33 million lost their jobs? That's an "us versus them" mentality that is typical of why nothing gets done.
You’re not a hater. You wouldn’t understand.
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 9:45 am

Show Me wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:24 am
I see we have another Trump hater out there.
Our population today is older than in 1968. Those older folks today are the majority of those dying. There is no cure for a virus only potential treatment. It will continue to spread and kill the weak until it doesn’t. Testing or lockdowns won’t stop it only may slow it. The virus going to do its thing until it runs its course.
We killed 33 million jobs on our own. You, China and all the Democrats are loving it.
Number 6 from the conspiracy shortcut list.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9505
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm

Show Me wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:37 am
DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 am
What would make someone say that anyone is "loving it" that 33 million lost their jobs? That's an "us versus them" mentality that is typical of why nothing gets done.
You’re not a hater. You wouldn’t understand.
I am a Trump hater.

I just don't think the Dems have come up with a better alternative.

I despise the disregard Trump shows for the Office of President. He acts like it's his latest upgrade of The Apprentice. I hate his tweets, and the way he interacts with not only the media (which I have issues with as well) but with other leaders, his own advisors (that aren't family) and think the guy is a scumbag. I cannot reconcile that this is the face America puts forth to the rest of the world. I don't disagree with everything he does, and hate when the media twists his statements, which they do often. But for crying out loud, can't he pretend to be Presidential rather than his lifelong act as a spoiled rich NY bully?

Getting out of politics and back on topic (yes, I truly believe the COVID19 discussions need to turn away from this "us versus them" way they've gone) I don't think there's much chance for a football season in the Fall of 2020. As I state in the Football 2020 thread, I don't think we'll have kids on campuses for 2 reasons: 1. Sex 2. Partying. Try telling masses of college kids they cannot do either of those two! Good luck.

The other point I would like to make is about the number of cases in different states/counties/parishes/cities. You notice that the highest numbers are in the metropolitan areas and cities with the largest populations? Especially those with the largest population densities? These tend to be in the North. It doesn't mean that there's any less threat anywhere else, just less people to be infected and thus knowingly or not pass it on to others.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 2:23 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm
Show Me wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:37 am
DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 am
What would make someone say that anyone is "loving it" that 33 million lost their jobs? That's an "us versus them" mentality that is typical of why nothing gets done.
You’re not a hater. You wouldn’t understand.
I am a Trump hater.

I just don't think the Dems have come up with a better alternative.

I despise the disregard Trump shows for the Office of President. He acts like it's his latest upgrade of The Apprentice. I hate his tweets, and the way he interacts with not only the media (which I have issues with as well) but with other leaders, his own advisors (that aren't family) and think the guy is a scumbag. I cannot reconcile that this is the face America puts forth to the rest of the world. I don't disagree with everything he does, and hate when the media twists his statements, which they do often. But for crying out loud, can't he pretend to be Presidential rather than his lifelong act as a spoiled rich NY bully?

Getting out of politics and back on topic (yes, I truly believe the COVID19 discussions need to turn away from this "us versus them" way they've gone) I don't think there's much chance for a football season in the Fall of 2020. As I state in the Football 2020 thread, I don't think we'll have kids on campuses for 2 reasons: 1. Sex 2. Partying. Try telling masses of college kids they cannot do either of those two! Good luck.

The other point I would like to make is about the number of cases in different states/counties/parishes/cities. You notice that the highest numbers are in the metropolitan areas and cities with the largest populations? Especially those with the largest population densities? These tend to be in the North. It doesn't mean that there's any less threat anywhere else, just less people to be infected and thus knowingly or not pass it on to others.
Every. Single. Word.

Image
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 2:31 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm
Show Me wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:37 am
DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 am
What would make someone say that anyone is "loving it" that 33 million lost their jobs? That's an "us versus them" mentality that is typical of why nothing gets done.
You’re not a hater. You wouldn’t understand.
I am a Trump hater.

I just don't think the Dems have come up with a better alternative.

I despise the disregard Trump shows for the Office of President. He acts like it's his latest upgrade of The Apprentice. I hate his tweets, and the way he interacts with not only the media (which I have issues with as well) but with other leaders, his own advisors (that aren't family) and think the guy is a scumbag. I cannot reconcile that this is the face America puts forth to the rest of the world. I don't disagree with everything he does, and hate when the media twists his statements, which they do often. But for crying out loud, can't he pretend to be Presidential rather than his lifelong act as a spoiled rich NY bully?

Getting out of politics and back on topic (yes, I truly believe the COVID19 discussions need to turn away from this "us versus them" way they've gone) I don't think there's much chance for a football season in the Fall of 2020. As I state in the Football 2020 thread, I don't think we'll have kids on campuses for 2 reasons: 1. Sex 2. Partying. Try telling masses of college kids they cannot do either of those two! Good luck.

The other point I would like to make is about the number of cases in different states/counties/parishes/cities. You notice that the highest numbers are in the metropolitan areas and cities with the largest populations? Especially those with the largest population densities? These tend to be in the North. It doesn't mean that there's any less threat anywhere else, just less people to be infected and thus knowingly or not pass it on to others.
Ok. My apologies I see you have a bad case of Trump Derangement Syndrome.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9505
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 3:25 pm

Show Me wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:31 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm
Show Me wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:37 am
DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 am
What would make someone say that anyone is "loving it" that 33 million lost their jobs? That's an "us versus them" mentality that is typical of why nothing gets done.
You’re not a hater. You wouldn’t understand.
I am a Trump hater.

I just don't think the Dems have come up with a better alternative.

I despise the disregard Trump shows for the Office of President. He acts like it's his latest upgrade of The Apprentice. I hate his tweets, and the way he interacts with not only the media (which I have issues with as well) but with other leaders, his own advisors (that aren't family) and think the guy is a scumbag. I cannot reconcile that this is the face America puts forth to the rest of the world. I don't disagree with everything he does, and hate when the media twists his statements, which they do often. But for crying out loud, can't he pretend to be Presidential rather than his lifelong act as a spoiled rich NY bully?

Getting out of politics and back on topic (yes, I truly believe the COVID19 discussions need to turn away from this "us versus them" way they've gone) I don't think there's much chance for a football season in the Fall of 2020. As I state in the Football 2020 thread, I don't think we'll have kids on campuses for 2 reasons: 1. Sex 2. Partying. Try telling masses of college kids they cannot do either of those two! Good luck.

The other point I would like to make is about the number of cases in different states/counties/parishes/cities. You notice that the highest numbers are in the metropolitan areas and cities with the largest populations? Especially those with the largest population densities? These tend to be in the North. It doesn't mean that there's any less threat anywhere else, just less people to be infected and thus knowingly or not pass it on to others.
Ok. My apologies I see you have a bad case of Trump Derangement Syndrome.
And I have had it for over 35 years. He is deranged. He is the epitome of a silver-spooned NY a-hole. And he has no problem screwing his partners/investors/supporters if it's to his benefit. He's been that way for a long, long time. There's a reason why domestic banks stopped funding him a long, long time ago. It also leads us to think about why he's in bed with foreign interests, and puts their leaders desires ahead of our US intelligence.

And oh by the way: He BLATANTLY cheats at golf. Caddies at his own courses call him Pele because he kicks opponents balls into the rough, off the green into traps, etc. I believe you can judge a man's character by how he behaves on the golf course. The man has zero character.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 2213
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 3:45 pm

He does not have not have zero character because when you have NO CHARACTER it is impossible to have zero .
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 2213
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 3:46 pm

He does not have not have zero character because when you have NO CHARACTER it is impossible to have zero .
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
User avatar
MicMan
Surge
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 4:00 pm

I’m still amazed that “protect the unborn” turned into “kill your grandparents” in a matter of 6 weeks because people wanted haircuts.
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 2923
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 4:35 pm

slulionsfan wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:13 am
HoustonWave wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:51 pm
RobertM320 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:23 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:16 pm
If we recklessly open the states, the 2nd wave will be worse than the first. We took steps and did a good job as a nation. Yes, certain areas that have little or no cases should get back to normal. It should be on a county by county (or parish by parish) basis. You need to show at least 14 CONSECUTIVE days of fewer hospitalizations as a starting point.

Let's get America going again without risking giving back what we've gained by staying home for the past month.
This post is about 3 1/2 weeks old now, and I want to make reference to a specific thing you said, D. You said it should be on a county by county basis. As of RIGHT NOW, the second week of May, FIFTY-TWO PERCENT (52%) of counties in the entire country have ZERO deaths. So why is 90% of the country shut down? No one says open the doors and go back to normal. But governors and mayors need to have some COMMON SENSE, instead of playing political football. There are many places that could be open, should be open, and should have never been closed. That's a fact and no amount of liberal whining is going to change it.

I also saw another graphic a couple of days ago, but couldn't find the link to post it. It was a map of the US, showing all the counties, broken down into 3 colors, 1/3 of all cases were in the NYC/NJ/Long Island area. ONE-THIRD. The second 1/3 was Chicago, Detroit, and a few other NE urban areas. The REST of the country combined had the last 1/3 of the cases. NO SOUTHERN city, county, parish or region were in the top two thirds.

Bottom line, yes, there's a bunch of deaths. Its also, terribly inflated, and its NOT nationwide. For example, our average flu season is 25-60K. So how is it this year we only have 6K flu deaths? Because a lot of flu deaths are getting classified as Covid-19 FOR THE MONEY. And the biggest reason we have as many deaths as we do is because governors do stupid things. Like Cuomo forcing nursing homes to take in Covid patients. Jesus Christ, my 5 year old granddaughter could have told you how that would turn out.

We had the 1918 college football season, and pro baseball season and WWI, in the midst of the Spanish Flu pandemic, which by EVERY account was far worse than this virus.
What's wild about this whole panic, is that even if the C-19 U.S. deaths climb to 137,000 (the latest guesstimate from the scientific experts), it will still not even measure up in per capita lethality to the 1957 Asian Flu or the 1968 Hong Kong Flu when nothing was closed, other than schools that closed when 30% of their student body was absent--which was very few schools. Below 30% absence the schools kept going, and no businesses were shut down. Unfortunately much of the current hysteria is because it is an election year, and the politics have put the media in overdrive, and even Trump has caved to much to the so called experts. As long as we don't exceed our medical capacity, which has grown tremendously over the past three months, we must get things going. And in fact, we will all be better off if we can move the infection rate up to at least 40% by the end of the summer--which will make the second wave far more manageable.
False. The Hong Kong flu killed roughly 100 k Americans over a period of a year and a half, with no shutdown. COVID-19 has already killed at least 84 k in right at two months, with projections of up to 143 k by August 4th. That's over five months, with a fairly significant shutdown. There's no comparison. The orange fool says it'll magically disappear so there's that.
Even at 143,000 it's well below the per capita mortality of the 1968 Hong Kong Flu and way below the 1957 Asian Flu. And because we didn't close shop in either 1957 or 1968, we weathered the second wave much better, even with a less sophisticated medical system--we probably won't weather the C-19 second wave as successfully because of our delays in opening up now that the first wave is behind us. By delaying the re-openings now, we are just filling the trough for C-19's second wave--when it will have plenty of "food" and "fuel".
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Virus is all but over now in the UK
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11601261/ ... -covid-19/
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wed May 13, 2020 5:01 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:25 pm
Show Me wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:31 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm
Show Me wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:37 am
DfromCT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 am
What would make someone say that anyone is "loving it" that 33 million lost their jobs? That's an "us versus them" mentality that is typical of why nothing gets done.
You’re not a hater. You wouldn’t understand.
I am a Trump hater.

I just don't think the Dems have come up with a better alternative.

I despise the disregard Trump shows for the Office of President. He acts like it's his latest upgrade of The Apprentice. I hate his tweets, and the way he interacts with not only the media (which I have issues with as well) but with other leaders, his own advisors (that aren't family) and think the guy is a scumbag. I cannot reconcile that this is the face America puts forth to the rest of the world. I don't disagree with everything he does, and hate when the media twists his statements, which they do often. But for crying out loud, can't he pretend to be Presidential rather than his lifelong act as a spoiled rich NY bully?

Getting out of politics and back on topic (yes, I truly believe the COVID19 discussions need to turn away from this "us versus them" way they've gone) I don't think there's much chance for a football season in the Fall of 2020. As I state in the Football 2020 thread, I don't think we'll have kids on campuses for 2 reasons: 1. Sex 2. Partying. Try telling masses of college kids they cannot do either of those two! Good luck.

The other point I would like to make is about the number of cases in different states/counties/parishes/cities. You notice that the highest numbers are in the metropolitan areas and cities with the largest populations? Especially those with the largest population densities? These tend to be in the North. It doesn't mean that there's any less threat anywhere else, just less people to be infected and thus knowingly or not pass it on to others.
Ok. My apologies I see you have a bad case of Trump Derangement Syndrome.
And I have had it for over 35 years. He is deranged. He is the epitome of a silver-spooned NY a-hole. And he has no problem screwing his partners/investors/supporters if it's to his benefit. He's been that way for a long, long time. There's a reason why domestic banks stopped funding him a long, long time ago. It also leads us to think about why he's in bed with foreign interests, and puts their leaders desires ahead of our US intelligence.

And oh by the way: He BLATANTLY cheats at golf. Caddies at his own courses call him Pele because he kicks opponents balls into the rough, off the green into traps, etc. I believe you can judge a man's character by how he behaves on the golf course. The man has zero character.
Yes I thought you were deranged. Trump now fighting for the USA.
Lol. So he cheats at golf lets impeach him.
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Thu May 14, 2020 12:08 pm

And here is something upon which we can all agree. Even as many are losing their fight with COVID, we especially need to be reminded that there are still beautiful things in the world. This peaceful and moving tribute is from the Tulane-Newcomb Choir and honors the memory of those we've lost and those struggling with the disease.

Post Reply