Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Looks like unemployment is now better than a job.
She got a forgivable Paycheck Protection loan. Her employees hate her for it.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/she-got ... ty.Message

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:38 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:15 pm No credible media source is saying Trump suggested injecting disinfectants, only NBC, MSNBC, CNN, The Guardian, and probably some other junk media outlets. I watched his presser live. After new facts about what can kill the virus were highlighted, he turned to his right and asked the general question about whether any of these new facts about mitigating or killing the virus could be in some way applied to therapeutic treatment. This is a great example of how the same fake news networks bend and distort the truth.

The President of the United States said this tonight. This is an exact quote:
The disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. It gets in the lungs...
Perhaps he meant to say something else. Perhaps he meant to say that "Banks was in and it should have been a touchdown." Maybe he meant to say that "if you can afford it, you should buy a pulse oximeter and that it could save your life." But he didn't. He said what he said and he is the most powerful man on earth. I'm troubled by this. You should be too.
Not even slightly. His questions never suggested he thinks anyone should be injected with anything unsafe. He was asking whether any of the new information could be used therapeutically. What ever he asked, he asked the scientist. At no time was he recommending anyone inject anything—the false image that many media outlets would love to create. Repeating this narrative only does their bidding.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Here in CT (5th on the list of COVID19 cases per capita) we had our first day of more hospitalization discharges than admitted yesterday. The Governors Committee to re-open (Co-headed by the head of Epidemiology at Yale and the former CEO of Pepsico) announced that June is the target to start to lessening restrictions, which would continue (barring setbacks) throughout the rest of the year. Reading between the lines, we're not getting back to normal for a very long time.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:14 am
Not even slightly. His questions never suggested he thinks anyone should be injected with anything unsafe. He was asking whether any of the new information could be used therapeutically. What ever he asked, he asked the scientist. At no time was he recommending anyone inject anything—the false image that many media outlets would love to create. Repeating this narrative only does their bidding.
GL, I generally agree with your posts. Most know I'm not a Trump fan (which shouldn't label me a liberal, but that's how Trumpies label folks that don't like King Donald.) but here HoustonWave is right. Trump asked a question of the medical experts on the podium. The media is taking that quote you posted out of context. And there should be a question mark at the end of the sentence, as he was clearly asking a question, not recommending a treatment.

It should look like this:
The disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:11 am Here in CT (5th on the list of COVID19 cases per capita) we had our first day of more hospitalization discharges than admitted yesterday. The Governors Committee to re-open (Co-headed by the head of Epidemiology at Yale and the former CEO of Pepsico) announced that June is the target to start to lessening restrictions, which would continue (barring setbacks) throughout the rest of the year. Reading between the lines, we're not getting back to normal for a very long time.
It's always a relief to see the curve turn downward. And you're absolutely right about it going to take a long time to get back to normal. No matter when a particular state or city "opens up", people are making their own decisions about when to "open up", and many are going to be very careful about where they go, and when. I don't see the bars, restaurants and retail shops filling up too soon--and sadly, many of these establishments just won't make it back.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:25 am
DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:11 am Here in CT (5th on the list of COVID19 cases per capita) we had our first day of more hospitalization discharges than admitted yesterday. The Governors Committee to re-open (Co-headed by the head of Epidemiology at Yale and the former CEO of Pepsico) announced that June is the target to start to lessening restrictions, which would continue (barring setbacks) throughout the rest of the year. Reading between the lines, we're not getting back to normal for a very long time.
It's always a relief to see the curve turn downward. And you're absolutely right about it going to take a long time to get back to normal. No matter when a particular state or city "opens up", people are making their own decisions about when to "open up", and many are going to be very careful about where they go, and when. I don't see the bars, restaurants and retail shops filling up too soon--and sadly, many of these establishments just won't make it back.
Man, I could use a trip to the Crescent City in a big way. Cabin fever is getting to me. I hope it's sooner rather than later that we can see live music in in New Orleans even if it needs to be outdoor venues. With my heart opened wide, I'll be satisfied (to steal a line from the Subdudes).
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:35 am No lockdown approach
Herd immunity in Sweden soon.
Sweden had no lockdown could see 'herd immunity' soon, expert says

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-lock ... weeks.html
On some sadder side of news, Sweden's plan might be backfiring on them now with 2 days of record number of new cases.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lives.html
wave97
Swell

+1000
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:33 pm

+1000
See GPS's post directly above yours. As Lee Courso says "not so fast."
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

There is a big price to pay for "herd immunity." I believe Sweden is JUST starting to see that now...
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:44 am
Man, I could use a trip to the Crescent City in a big way. Cabin fever is getting to me. I hope it's sooner rather than later that we can see live music in in New Orleans even if it needs to be outdoor venues. With my heart opened wide, I'll be satisfied (to steal a line from the Subdudes).
I have an extra bedroom.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:26 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:44 am
I have an extra bedroom.
Thanks mba!

It's ironic that New Orleans and CT (or more accurately greater NYC tri-state area) are some of the hardest hit in the country. I agree with TPS that this is going to hit New Orleans and Louisiana very hard given that tourism and oil/gas are the two leading industries.

I've had a lousy day, but at least they're re-opening our golf courses one week from today. Something to look forward to.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:14 am
GreenLantern wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:38 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:15 pm No credible media source is saying Trump suggested injecting disinfectants, only NBC, MSNBC, CNN, The Guardian, and probably some other junk media outlets. I watched his presser live. After new facts about what can kill the virus were highlighted, he turned to his right and asked the general question about whether any of these new facts about mitigating or killing the virus could be in some way applied to therapeutic treatment. This is a great example of how the same fake news networks bend and distort the truth.

The President of the United States said this tonight. This is an exact quote:
The disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. It gets in the lungs...
Perhaps he meant to say something else. Perhaps he meant to say that "Banks was in and it should have been a touchdown." Maybe he meant to say that "if you can afford it, you should buy a pulse oximeter and that it could save your life." But he didn't. He said what he said and he is the most powerful man on earth. I'm troubled by this. You should be too.
Oh come on. He made an idiotic statement, it’s really clear. Then he pulled this crap that he was joking, watch the video, he 100% was serious. It is hilarious. The man can get away with anything. I don’t think he was advocating getting a syringe today and dumping bleach in your veins (i cannot believe I have to clarify that issue), but this is right in line with the playbook. Say whatever whenever, it’s why he was elected. I mean really, watch the tape. Just like this one.

"So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous - whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light - and I think you said that hasn't been checked but you're going to test it," Trump said. "And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside of the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you're going to test that too. Sounds interesting."

The man proposed injecting ultra violet light under a human beings skin. The most powerful man on the planet said that. Really come on. I actually get it. He doesn’t give a shit which is actually refreshing and why he will probably get 4 more years.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:16 pmThe man proposed injecting ultra violet light under a human beings skin. The most powerful man on the planet said that. Really come on. I actually get it. He doesn’t give a shit which is actually refreshing and why he will probably get 4 more years.
You do know there is currently very similar technology and UV light treatments already available today right?

Also, do you ingest garlic or honey or ACV or ginger or coconut oil or lemon for wellness purposes? Guess what... THOSE ARE DISINFECTANTS. (There are more natural disinfectants; do your research).

I know some folks’ hatred of our President runs deep, and you are entitled to that as your right. But at least look smart hating him.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:36 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:16 pmThe man proposed injecting ultra violet light under a human beings skin. The most powerful man on the planet said that. Really come on. I actually get it. He doesn’t give a shit which is actually refreshing and why he will probably get 4 more years.
You do know there is currently very similar technology and UV light treatments already available today right?

Also, do you ingest garlic or honey or ACV or ginger or coconut oil or lemon for wellness purposes? Guess what... THOSE ARE DISINFECTANTS. (There are more natural disinfectants; do your research).

I know some folks’ hatred of our President runs deep, and you are entitled to that as your right. But at least look smart hating him.
Garlic and honey vs disinfectants? Like that was what he was referring to. Wait what? Not to mention he said he was ultimately joking. So what is it? Was he pushing legit treatments or joking?

You are the freakin president, you don’t just throw out opinions and forgone treatment options with little to no backing on a national stage during a pandemic. He just says whatever and people just justify it. The man is no leader.
And I actually agree with many of Trump’s choices economically btw. I am very much considering voting for him.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You all know I'm not a Trump supporter. But the media has blown this out of proportion. Was he being sarcastic, as he claimed today? Hell no. He was thinking out loud (dangerous for someone with 30-45 firing neurotransmitters) and actually asking a question of the medical expert that had just said the virus dies in 30 seconds when exposed to saliva and disinfectants. The media has made it out to be that he was suggesting this as a remedy. He turns his head and speaks directly to the medical expert. The way it's being reported is very much affecting this non-story.

Trump is going to be Trump. I cannot stand the man, and wish he'd skip the daily updates, stop tweeting and dozens of other behaviors that I consider not Presidential. But he's not going to change. At the same time, call it fairly. There's certainly no shortage of REAL issues to attack him for. No need to lose credibility by making stuff up, which the media did with this.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:15 pm You all know I'm not a Trump supporter. But the media has blown this out of proportion. Was he being sarcastic, as he claimed today? Hell no. He was thinking out loud (dangerous for someone with 30-45 firing neurotransmitters) and actually asking a question of the medical expert that had just said the virus dies in 30 seconds when exposed to saliva and disinfectants. The media has made it out to be that he was suggesting this as a remedy. He turns his head and speaks directly to the medical expert. The way it's being reported is very much affecting this non-story.

Trump is going to be Trump. I cannot stand the man, and wish he'd skip the daily updates, stop tweeting and dozens of other behaviors that I consider not Presidential. But he's not going to change. At the same time, call it fairly. There's certainly no shortage of REAL issues to attack him for. No need to lose credibility by making stuff up, which the media did with this.
I suggest you watch the clip again.
I don’t understand how people can just accept that the most powerful man on the planet should be using national press briefings (during a crisis) as a brainstorming session.

Either way, it will be forgotten in no time.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Where is he facing when he asks the question? Directly at the medical expert who left the podium about 2 minutes earlier.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:15 pm You all know I'm not a Trump supporter. But the media has blown this out of proportion. Was he being sarcastic, as he claimed today? Hell no. He was thinking out loud (dangerous for someone with 30-45 firing neurotransmitters) and actually asking a question of the medical expert that had just said the virus dies in 30 seconds when exposed to saliva and disinfectants. The media has made it out to be that he was suggesting this as a remedy. He turns his head and speaks directly to the medical expert. The way it's being reported is very much affecting this non-story.

I too wish Trump would shut down these daily briefings—they have very little value any longer. Both Trump and the medical experts have flat run out of anything to say. As a result, he’s now just rambling reading a script in a monotone voice—until he and the press go at it, and even that has become boring. I hope they decide to limit the madness to just a couple throwdowns per week.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:05 pm Where is he facing when he asks the question? Directly at the medical expert who left the podium about 2 minutes earlier.
I don’t understand the relevance.

At a minimum, I find no value in sarcasm right now, even if that statement was true.

Again, whatever the case it will be forgotten soon enough. Real tough choices ahead. We need leadership and I hope we get it federally and in states.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

phpBB [audio]
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:40 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:05 pm Where is he facing when he asks the question? Directly at the medical expert who left the podium about 2 minutes earlier.

At a minimum, I find no value in sarcasm right now, even if that statement was true.

Again, whatever the case it will be forgotten soon enough. Real tough choices ahead. We need leadership and I hope we get it federally and in states.
The relevance is that the media portrays Trump as suggesting this is a course of treatment. NOT SO. Fake news.

He asked a question of a medical expert that had just spoke about sanitizers killing the virus in 30 seconds. Was it a dumb question? Maybe. But the media makes it seem like he was urging people to ingest Lysol, which was farther from the truth than his claim of being sarcastic.

mba, you are one of the most level headed posters on this forum. I have to think you've never seen the video of the comments, or if you have, you didn't see the minute or two preceding the comment, when the medical expert made his assertion (at the podium he yielded to Trump) that sanitizer kills COVID-19 in 30 seconds. The way it's been reported is an attack on Trump (whom I believe we both dislike.) He has plenty for us to complain about, we don't need the media to make this stuff up.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:51 pm
phpBB [audio]
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:40 pm

The relevance is that the media portrays Trump as suggesting this is a course of treatment. NOT SO. Fake news.

He asked a question of a medical expert that had just spoke about sanitizers killing the virus in 30 seconds. Was it a dumb question? Maybe. But the media makes it seem like he was urging people to ingest Lysol, which was farther from the truth than his claim of being sarcastic.

mba, you are one of the most level headed posters on this forum. I have to think you've never seen the video of the comments, or if you have, you didn't see the minute or two preceding the comment, when the medical expert made his assertion (at the podium he yielded to Trump) that sanitizer kills COVID-19 in 30 seconds. The way it's been reported is an attack on Trump (whom I believe we both dislike.) He has plenty for us to complain about, we don't need the media to make this stuff up.
No not at all. Anyone who watches the video and thinks our president was saying people should put disinfectant in their body right now is an absolute moron, I apologize if that what what I was getting across.

It was spitballing, which is taking place across research labs across the world. But to think the most powerful man in the world should be brainstorming during a national press conference is just crazy, but I could be wrong and ultimately the news cycle will move on. Many in the media have overblown it, for ratings purposes, but legit it is just a goofy thing to say. I see no purpose. To be clear this man is the absolute most important voice in the world right now, but seems to not think deeply before talking. Rational media members have made that point.
Frankly off the cuff is his charm and has worked pretty dam well so far. But, What did he accomplish with that statement? What did he accomplish by saying it was sarcastic? Should our president be talking so cavalier right now? He should have said “our team is looking into every solution”, now we have a bunch of non sense talk at a time when we should be focusing on reality.
We shall see. I just hope for the best. I desperately want to get back to work and have two rental properties with mortgages. It all sucks.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mba...I agree with everything your post above says. I want to get back to work, too. I haven't seen a penny of income since the second week of March.
GreenLantern
Riptide

HoustonWave
Tsunami

I think mba’s description of Trump “brainstorming” is a good one. And he’s brainstorming because these daily press meetings have run their course, and have largely run out of any useful information. All the participants look worn out, and like they wish they didn’t have to be there.