Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Show Me
Tsunami

I guess I lucked out. Tested also was Asymptomatic. I had no fever or anything. Same with my wife. Dr told us most of the recent positives at his clinic were Asymptomatic. Many college kids actually think its cool to test positive to show off. He also told us the kids are actually trying to test positive to troll on Trump to run the numbers up. Crazy stuff.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

My test came back negative. I can see my kids on the 4th!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
swampnik
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:41 am My test came back negative. I can see my kids on the 4th!
Fireworks of Joy all around!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
gbgreenie
Surge

Guidance says don't count on a single test either way. Test results are not always accurate.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:28 am Masks useless
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... e-useless/
Yeah, right. And that article proves it!!!

WEAR YOUR MASK. TO NOT DO SO IS SELFISH. It's much more important indoors than outdoors, but whenever in a public place where people are gathering wear your mask.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:48 am

WEAR YOUR MASK. TO NOT DO SO IS SELFISH. It's much more important indoors than outdoors, but whenever in a public place where people are gathering wear your mask.
Did you read it? This is from the Washington Post at that.
Everyone wore masks during the 1918 flu pandemic. They were useless.
Also the 1918 flu ended with no vaccine. Heard immunity was achieved.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:37 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:48 am

Did you read it? This is from the Washington Post at that.
Everyone wore masks during the 1918 flu pandemic. They were useless.
Also the 1918 flu ended with no vaccine. Heard immunity was achieved.
50 million died via the 1918 flu. Very effective “heard immunity”. As if the virus would continue on into infinity. Oh well, just 500 million infected and 50 million deaths, but “heard immunity” eventually achieved.
You really need to think before posting or breathing or waking up in the morning.

Then back to this asinine anti mask nonsense. Your ignorance is infuriating. I just don’t understand the point you are trying to achieve. Literally medical professionals have been wearing masks for decades. People with years upon years of medical understanding. But oh no, Show Me knows better from his vast professional medical knowledge gained via scrolling the same bullshit websites.
At this point I encourage you to avoid wearing a mask, natural selection might just be the best thing for us all. I legit am embarrassed for you. I just cannot believe people like you can carry on with this charade. That a piece of cloth, that can be put on in 5 seconds, could just maybe help reduced the spreading of a pandemic that um spreads via bodily fluids.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenLantern
Riptide

ShowMe, I'm delighted to hear that you have branched out from Fox News to reading from more worthwhile publications such as the Washington Post. I look forward to learning of your continued enlightenment.

Now about the article. It was written by Eliza McGraw, a very capable wordsmith with a B.A. in English from Columbia and a Ph.D. from Vanderbilt. Her writing includes a number of topics including how to bake homemade bread, Here Comes The Exterminator (a 1920s horse that won the Kentucky Derby), how losing at sports can be good for kids (should have researched this at Tulane), and many others. Know what's missing here? Scientific credentials.

To her credit, she points out that the masks worn during the 1918 pandemic were useless but she comes nowhere near suggesting the same for the masks and their efficacy in preventing the current disease. "The masks worn by millions (in 1918) were useless as designed and could not prevent influenza."

ShowMe, I enjoy reading your posts and you know a lot about Tulane sports. I suggest you leave it at that. If you are committed to living life in 2020 without a mask, I wish you luck. Unfortunately for matters scientific you continue to communicate the message that your ignorance is as good as anyone's knowledge.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

is it "Herd' or "Heard"...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Herd immunity isn't a choice, it's what will happen absent an effective vaccine. Whether 50+ million die, or 1+ million die is just a function of modern medical science, that largely didn't exist in 1918. The younger, and asymptomatic cases, are actually helping us get to the 70% faster, with less consequences. Those of us over 60 and/or with conditions should stay home and mask up when were out and about, hoping we get to 70% sooner rather than later. Total shutdowns will only extend the pandemic into third and fourth waves, or beyond. All the media coverage will end after the election, and few will even be discussing why the pandemic eventually end, whenever it ends.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The Glazer family, due to ownership of the Bucs, and Tom Brady, due to his ownership of the TB12 company, took small business loans from the Federal Government meant for struggling small businesses that were devastated by lack of business during the lockdown. This is disgusting. I've lost all respect for both the Glazers and Brady.
localvb
High Tide

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

localvb wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:29 am https://the-iceberg.net/
Great video!
I share in much of that belief as well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:33 pm
Great video!
As a person who deals with numbers, can you explain why Houston, Dallas, LA County, Tampa Bay, Phoenix hospitals are at capacity if this is like the "flu" (and soon to be EBR, Caddo, and other Parishes)? Surely all those people aren't going to the hospital for the regular "flu". Can you explain why hospitalization numbers are higher than they ever been during the summer when the flu has its seasonal patterns and the summer isn't normally one of them? How do you justify that the flu kills 60-80k people in the US but so far we are over 130k and climbing? Also, I remember you blaming China for this, but according to that video, if we didn't test, then this wouldn't be a big issue. So is it really China's fault or is it the tests?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:26 pm
Great video!
As a person who deals with numbers, can you explain why Houston, Dallas, LA County, Tampa Bay, Phoenix hospitals are at capacity if this is like the "flu" (and soon to be EBR, Caddo, and other Parishes)? Surely all those people aren't going to the hospital for the regular "flu". Can you explain why hospitalization numbers are higher than they ever been during the summer when the flu has its seasonal patterns and the summer isn't normally one of them? How do you justify that the flu kills 60-80k people in the US but so far we are over 130k and climbing? Also, I remember you blaming China for this, but according to that video, if we didn't test, then this wouldn't be a big issue. So is it really China's fault or is it the tests?
My wife works at a hospital she told me that all of the people were forced to put off their regular treatments and elective surgeries during the early part of Corona because of the quarantine. When the numbers went down many of them decided to schedule with their doctors their elected surgeries and other procedures. Now with any increase in positive cases the hospitals are getting crowed due to the combination of those two.
Future elective surgeries and treatments are now being rescheduled.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What the hell, lets go back in time as if nothing happened. Fill the bars and restaurants, stadiums, arenas and no more masks. Who cares if that drives the death toll into the millions? After all, it's survival of the fittest, and despite the average age of those dying plummeting, these folks that don't believe the pandemic is real can resume life like nothing happened. That's what took place in many states that are on the brink of going back to lock down because people are idiots.

"Increase in positive cases" Are you shitting me? More states are setting records for positive cases daily than at any time in the first 3 months. They just don't happen to be NY, NJ, CT or Illinios (Chicago) anymore. I was in the grocery store earlier today and 100% of those I saw inside the store were wearing masks. That's why we're getting the lowest number of new cases day by day. Today we had 5, which is 5 too many. That's not to say everyone in CT complies with social distancing and wearing masks at indoor public places. I had to stop going to the beaches because there's way too many young people partying in groups without masks or social distancing. The bars are not open, and their opening has been postponed twice. Restaurants require masks when not eating and have tables at least 12' apart for indoor seating. Is it hurting our economy? Absolutely.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:50 pm
Great video!
My wife works at a hospital she told me that all of the people were forced to put off their regular treatments and elective surgeries during the early part of Corona because of the quarantine. When the numbers went down many of them decided to schedule with their doctors their elected surgeries and other procedures. Now with any increase in positive cases the hospitals are getting crowed due to the combination of those two.
On first glance, I thought what you said made some sense, but then I realized you are just parroting what McEany stated at her presser, which so far is proven as a lie in regard to Texas and the Houston area. Don't take my word for it though, here's an expert telling you why she's wrong. I won't even go into my other 3 questions, we will just leave it at that.

dpm wave
Swell

As I physician who has block time on Friday mornings at my local hospital for strictly elective procedures, I can tell you this theory is horse manure and insulting to people of intelligence.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:49 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:50 pm
Great video!
On first glance, I thought what you said made some sense, but then I realized you are just parroting what McEany stated at her presser, which so far is proven as a lie in regard to Texas and the Houston area. Don't take my word for it though, here's an expert telling you why she's wrong. I won't even go into my other 3 questions, we will just leave it at that.

Unfortunately that’s a major part of it. One other thing. Virus infected patients can’t be guaranteed the needed medication unless they are under a doctor’s care in the hospital. Non hospital Doctors are advising many of their patients to self admit to the hospital so they can get the medication approved that can hasten their recovery. This is also contributing to driving the numbers up.
A family friend told us their daughter (21 years old) caught the virus on a girls trip to Florida a week or so ago. She shared a condo with 12 other girls and they all tested positive once they came home. She thinks she got it playing beer pong drinking out of the same cups as all the other girls. None are having any issues other than a cough and no taste. Another interesting story. Two of that groups parents signed up on-line to get tested. They went down there but the line was too long so they went home. Then a day or so later they got an email telling them they tested positive.
That’s why the cases are rising. Mostly Stupid personal behavior.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I forgot why I stopped reading this thread, didn’t take very long to recall.
greenie78
Riptide

Some people here should just stick to sports.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:49 am Some people here should just stick to sports.
The Score
Covid 19 ... Tulane 0
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenie78
Riptide

Hey TPS, not every COVID positive patients need medication outside of Tylenol for fever. And if they do, their doctor should be able to treat them unless they need to go to the hospital. The ER isn’t going to admit every COVID patient unless they’re very sick.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

More good news, deaths definitely not tracking new case counts.
Tulane Class of 1981