Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

D is totally off the rails and has been led down the Pelosi/Schumer alley. Trump did respond early by shutting down the flights from China-which Italy didn’t and look at what it has done for them and Europe. We haven’t had a strategic reserve of medical equipment for generations- hardly Trumps fault. We’ve had a shortage of test kits primarily because of the 2009 Obama administration’s decision to give the FDA oversight over independent laboratories development of test kits—Trump reverses that and now the kits are being developed en masse. You’ve apparently been overdosing on CNN’s cool aid.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 pm D is totally off the rails and has been led down the Pelosi/Schumer alley. Trump did respond early by shutting down the flights from China-which Italy didn’t and look at what it has done for them and Europe. We haven’t had a strategic reserve of medical equipment for generations- hardly Trumps fault. We’ve had a shortage of test kits primarily because of the 2009 Obama administration’s decision to give the FDA oversight over independent laboratories development of test kits—Trump reverses that and now the kits are being developed en masse. You’ve apparently been overdosing on CNN’s cool aid.
What channel have you been exclusively watching 😊
anEngineer
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:15 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 pm D is totally off the rails and has been led down the Pelosi/Schumer alley. Trump did respond early by shutting down the flights from China-which Italy didn’t and look at what it has done for them and Europe. We haven’t had a strategic reserve of medical equipment for generations- hardly Trumps fault. We’ve had a shortage of test kits primarily because of the 2009 Obama administration’s decision to give the FDA oversight over independent laboratories development of test kits—Trump reverses that and now the kits are being developed en masse. You’ve apparently been overdosing on CNN’s cool aid.
This isn't a political site, but this thread exists and this virus has naturally become a political issue, so I'll comment. I am pretty damned sick and tired of you liberals spewing your crap about Fox News, as though it's a valid response to anything you don't like hearing. Where do you get your news? CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, Rachel Maddow? All have been found totally making up stories (lying) to fit narratives they want to promote. NBC admitted to doctoring video create a falsehood. Where are their stories about Russian Collusion, Ukraine quid pro quo, Brett Kavanaugh rape now? They were all fake and had ZERO basis in fact, yet you were willing to go down those rabbit holes because you're a liberal and/or you hate Trump.

You just say, "must have gotten that from Fox News" and then go giggling to yourselves in the corner like 10-year-olds in the back of class. You don't like Fox because they air news you don't agree with or don't want to hear. It is still news and it still happened. The real question is why are none of the other networks (your networks) willing to air it? Why were none (and I mean NONE) of the other networks willing to really ask about the FBI's spying on a Presidential campaign or where the Steele dossier came from or what was the FISA court told? You're telling me not one "journalist" at any of those networks thought any of those were valid questions?

So instead of thinking you're so much better and smarter than others just because you're a liberal and you have deeper feelings and care more, maybe you should analyze your argument and see if you have a valid rebuttal, other than just saying, "What channel have you been exclusively watching".
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't get what Nancy Pelosi has to do with my paranoia of the COVID-19 virus? I hate Nancy Pelosi, I very rarely watch CNN or other news channels. I prefer to read and research information from sources like the CDC, HHS, WHO, etc. There's an abundance of true and accurate information available. And by the way, the US just blew by both China and Italy for number of positive cases.

Just because I dislike Trump doesn't make me a liberal. I'm sick and tired of Trump supporters labeling anyone that doesn't like him as a liberal, CNN fan, Fox News hater, etc. That's total Bull$hit. I'm shocked that anyone with a modicum of intelligence and some education can support the man. And no, I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton, either.

And do a fact check: Trump NEVER affected a travel ban to/from China. NEVER.

He put in travel RESTRICTIONS, but not a ban. There still is no travel ban.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:21 am I don't get what Nancy Pelosi has to do with my paranoia of the COVID-19 virus? I hate Nancy Pelosi, I very rarely watch CNN or other news channels. I prefer to read and research information from sources like the CDC, HHS, WHO, etc. There's an abundance of true and accurate information available. And by the way, the US just blew by both China and Italy for number of positive cases.

Just because I dislike Trump doesn't make me a liberal. I'm sick and tired of Trump supporters labeling anyone that doesn't like him as a liberal, CNN fan, Fox News hater, etc. That's total Bull$hit. I'm shocked that anyone with a modicum of intelligence and some education can support the man. And no, I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton, either.

D, I understand your frustration... I am sick and tired of being called a racist, becasue I support the POTUS...and just an FYI, I voted for a "write in '....one of my wife's, STEM / Quest 5th graders
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

'nut: In the last presidential election I voted (write in) for Monty Brewster.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:51 am 'nut: In the last presidential election I voted (write in) for Monty Brewster.
and Monty's famed "none of the above" platform
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:17 am
This isn't a political site, but this thread exists and this virus has naturally become a political issue, so I'll comment. I am pretty damned sick and tired of you liberals spewing your crap about Fox News, as though it's a valid response to anything you don't like hearing. Where do you get your news? CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, Rachel Maddow? All have been found totally making up stories (lying) to fit narratives they want to promote. NBC admitted to doctoring video create a falsehood. Where are their stories about Russian Collusion, Ukraine quid pro quo, Brett Kavanaugh rape now? They were all fake and had ZERO basis in fact, yet you were willing to go down those rabbit holes because you're a liberal and/or you hate Trump.

You just say, "must have gotten that from Fox News" and then go giggling to yourselves in the corner like 10-year-olds in the back of class. You don't like Fox because they air news you don't agree with or don't want to hear. It is still news and it still happened. The real question is why are none of the other networks (your networks) willing to air it? Why were none (and I mean NONE) of the other networks willing to really ask about the FBI's spying on a Presidential campaign or where the Steele dossier came from or what was the FISA court told? You're telling me not one "journalist" at any of those networks thought any of those were valid questions?

So instead of thinking you're so much better and smarter than others just because you're a liberal and you have deeper feelings and care more, maybe you should analyze your argument and see if you have a valid rebuttal, other than just saying, "What channel have you been exclusively watching".
You are way off. I literally have a dozen highly educated and successful close friends, not one spends time watching foxnews, cnn or msnbc.
Live in your extreme world and build your paranoid enclosure. Basically, and this is my estimate, about 25% are wacky right and 25% are wacky left. The rest are reasonable and open. Guess where you fit in.
MicMan
Swell

LOL
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I won't go back and forth on politics here or with family or friends. I never have and never will. It's really easy to finger point from both sides. The US is having the same growth, problems, and now death with COVID-19 as countless other countries, and that cannot be blamed on our administration. Whether you believe in it or not, this virus has no agenda or political affiliation. Read that last sentence again.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and not even the WHO realized what we were dealing with as recent as the middle of January.

It's time to work together on getting past this, and those that do not wish to, well they are the ones who choose to see the bad in everything vs. the tiny amount of good in something.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:39 pm I won't go back and forth on politics here or with family or friends. I never have and never will. It's really easy to finger point from both sides. The US is having the same growth, problems, and now death with COVID-19 as countless other countries, and that cannot be blamed on our administration. Whether you believe in it or not, this virus has no agenda or political affiliation. Read that last sentence again.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and not even the WHO realized what we were dealing with as recent as the middle of January.

It's time to work together on getting past this, and those that do not wish to, well they are the ones who choose to see the bad in everything vs. the tiny amount of good in something.
+1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Believe the scientists.

Screw Rachel Maddow (metaphorically). Screw Sean Hannity along with Fox, CNN and MSNBC. Screw them all. They each have their own personal agendas and are, more or less, entertainers who are more concerned about viewer ratings (money).

Believe the scientists.
anEngineer
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:32 am

You are way off. I literally have a dozen highly educated and successful close friends, not one spends time watching foxnews, cnn or msnbc.
Live in your extreme world and build your paranoid enclosure. Basically, and this is my estimate, about 25% are wacky right and 25% are wacky left. The rest are reasonable and open. Guess where you fit in.
No, you guess where I fit in. You seem to think that you're an authority. You spew a childishly general remark ( a fall back response for liberals) about Fox News being the source of anything you don't like. Don't you liberals ever get tired of the same meaningless cliches? What HoustonWave posted was fact. Faulting Obama policy is somewhat opinion but it's based on things that really happened. He didn't say where he saw it, but it is news because it happened. Does it matter where he saw it or read it? If he did see it on Fox News, would that make it less of a fact? I imagine you think that you're in the "reasonable and open" category. That seems debatable given your post, but I really don't care enough either way. Just get a new set of propaganda lines, the blaming Fox News one is worn out.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:32 am

No, you guess where I fit in. You seem to think that you're an authority. You spew a childishly general remark ( a fall back response for liberals) about Fox News being the source of anything you don't like. Don't you liberals ever get tired of the same meaningless cliches? What HoustonWave posted was fact. Faulting Obama policy is somewhat opinion but it's based on things that really happened. He didn't say where he saw it, but it is news because it happened. Does it matter where he saw it or read it? If he did see it on Fox News, would that make it less of a fact? I imagine you think that you're in the "reasonable and open" category. That seems debatable given your post, but I really don't care enough either way. Just get a new set of propaganda lines, the blaming Fox News one is worn out.
Ya ok pal. It’s clear where you fit in, stop lying or misrepresenting. Like most far left or far right nut you are obsessed with your agenda and conformation bias.
I have voted for as many republican presidents as democratic. Shows your obsession and bias as not once have I ever exposed liberalism. And yes I am very open.

To be clear (and I know many) anyone who spends much of their time soaking in MSNBC, CNN of Foxnews is a moron. It’s very simple. Those are media conglomerates concerned almost solely with ratings and you ate the cheese.
Show Me
Tsunami

Easy guess he watches Fox News Channel.
You know why?
Because it’s the most watched cable channel in the country. Nobody else even close.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:21 am I don't get what Nancy Pelosi has to do with my paranoia of the COVID-19 virus? I hate Nancy Pelosi, I very rarely watch CNN or other news channels. I prefer to read and research information from sources like the CDC, HHS, WHO, etc. There's an abundance of true and accurate information available. And by the way, the US just blew by both China and Italy for number of positive cases.

Read my post, I never said he placed a ban on anything. But he did effectively halt flights from China, which got the liberal media all stewed up. Trump was right, again.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:29 pm Easy guess he watches Fox News Channel.
You know why?
Because it’s the most watched cable channel in the country. Nobody else even close.
And its the most watched network because it sticks to facts--not hate driven bias. The other major networks lost all credibility long ago when they continually looked the other way while the Obama administration trampled the constitution, initiated clown operations like Fast N Furious, sent billions of dollars of cash in bags to the Iranian government in a private jet, and countless other failings. It didn't take Trump's presidency to kill the credibility of most the news networks. Fortunately, Trump and his team continue to navigate us through this once in a lifetime catastrophe.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Read my post, I never said he placed a ban on anything. But he did effectively halt flights from China, which got the liberal media all stewed up. Trump was right, again.
So why did you label me a liberal? Why is anyone that doesn't support Trump get labeled a liberal? There's a MAJORITY of this country that is moderate.

Unfortunately the lunatics at the extreme right and left of the political spectrum are now running the parties, which is why it's hard to get anything done. This divide started under "W" and grew under Obama. It's now ridiculous, because many, many, many polls show that about 70% of the country agrees on about 90% of the issues. But heaven forbid a dem or a GOP reaches across the aisle to try to get something done. The inmates run the asylum.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:48 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:15 pm

So why did you label me a liberal? Why is anyone that doesn't support Trump get labeled a liberal? There's a MAJORITY of this country that is moderate.

Unfortunately the lunatics at the extreme right and left of the political spectrum are now running the parties, which is why it's hard to get anything done. This divide started under "W" and grew under Obama. It's now ridiculous, because many, many, many polls show that about 70% of the country agrees on about 90% of the issues. But heaven forbid a dem or a GOP reaches across the aisle to try to get something done. The inmates run the asylum.
I haven't labeled you as anything--though from your own declarations, you can't stand Trump. That doesn't make you a liberal, but it definitely puts you amongst the liberals when it comes to Trump. Make no mistake, I don't like Trump's style, or his tweeting, or his ego, but it's hard to argue that he isn't very effective--especially given what his administration has accomplished despite the flack the left and the D.C. establishment has continually thrown at him. The man does get things done--and for many, that's the biggest problem.
GreenLantern
Riptide

My granddaughter is 12. She is the sweetest, prettiest, smartest granddaughter I could hope for. She's been coughing for a couple days and this afternoon her temperature rose to 100. My daughter immediately took her to a physician where she was diagnosed with pneumonia. She was then taken to a drive-thru COVID testing area where a culture was collected. It may take as much as 7 days before we have results. She has three brothers, one older. She has been at home since school was suspended. To the best of our family's knowledge, no one has come in contact with anyone who has the disease.

As a society and as a country, we need to minimize the blame game and name calling and focus our attention on prevention. Prevention. Prevention. Please realize that this may be the most infectious disease ever to appear on earth. If you or any family member has left your home for any reason within the past two weeks, you are at risk. If anyone has been in your home, you and your family have potentially been exposed.

If this were your granddaughter, would you view things differently? Would you rethink how careful you have been and perhaps attempt a bit more empathy and kindness?

Godbless and stay safe. I will keep everyone posted.
swampnik
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:28 am

D, I understand your frustration... I am sick and tired of being called a racist, becasue I support the POTUS...and just an FYI, I voted for a "write in '....one of my wife's, STEM / Quest 5th graders
+1
I don't "write in" but I do usually vote for a 3rd party about 50% of the time since 1972.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
swampnik
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:53 pm My granddaughter is 12. She is the sweetest, prettiest, smartest granddaughter I could hope for. She's been coughing for a couple days and this afternoon her temperature rose to 100. My daughter immediately took her to a physician where she was diagnosed with pneumonia. She was then taken to a drive-thru COVID testing area where a culture was collected. It may take as much as 7 days before we have results. She has three brothers, one older. She has been at home since school was suspended. To the best of our family's knowledge, no one has come in contact with anyone who has the disease.

As a society and as a country, we need to minimize the blame game and name calling and focus our attention on prevention. Prevention. Prevention. Please realize that this may be the most infectious disease ever to appear on earth. If you or any family member has left your home for any reason within the past two weeks, you are at risk. If anyone has been in your home, you and your family have potentially been exposed.

If this were your granddaughter, would you view things differently? Would you rethink how careful you have been and perhaps attempt a bit more empathy and kindness?

Godbless and stay safe. I will keep everyone posted.
Sorry to hear that GL. Does you daughter live in NOLA? If so, can you tell me where the drive-thru testing station is located here?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

95% of the NOLA deaths are coming from people with pre-existing conditions.
https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/a ... 704c4.html
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

swampnik wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:14 am Sorry to hear that GL. Does you daughter live in NOLA? If so, can you tell me where the drive-thru testing station is located here?
My daughter lives on the north shore. She told me that the drive-thru was at a strip center...I didn't ask which one but I think it was the mall with the Barnes & Noble bookstore. If you want more info, PM me and I'll ask her for specifics.

In any case, keep in mind that it will take 7 days for the results. She has since learned that Oschner's tests can be returned in a much shorter period. I think it is 48 hours.
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:05 am 95% of the NOLA deaths are coming from people with pre-existing conditions.
https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/a ... 704c4.html
TPS, if you are attempting to allay everyone's fear that contracting the virus is a death sentence, I agree with you. In all probability those who are infected will survive. If you're over 40, you may suffer diminished heart and lung capacities, but survival is likely.

My concern is that as people read statements like your post, they are more likely to shrug things off with "If I get sick, I get sick... It's not like I'm gonna die." Anything that causes people to trivialize the threat or to relax their guard by thinking, "I'll get over this even if I catch it" is dangerous . Do the math. If only 30% of the country becomes infected, and only 95% of the deaths come from the folks that are already ill, you will arrive at a mortality total that's in the millions.

The common good will be served by overestimating the danger and not the converse.