Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:51 am TPS, you continue to spread conspiracy theories because the truth isn’t on your side. Keep it up buddy. You’re about to look bad again like you did in March. This is not your field so stop pretending you know anything about what’s going on. The virus doesn’t kill right away once someone is infected. It’s a matter of time the deaths will start to climb especially with hospitalizations going up. Keep spreading your misinformation.
Death rates % declining. Deaths rising are two separate stats.
Total deaths will always rise with every death. Population Death rates % are falling.
More people getting it will actually lower death rate % because the majority won’t die. Yes some will die but the majority will survive. I’m in the numbers business. Watch and learn.
I just choose to look at the bright side of the equation.
You just see the negative media agenda of deaths going up everyday. Of course they will continue to rise with every death this will always be true. More people coming into contact with one another will cause the risk to rise which is expected.
I choose to look at the % death rate of those that tested positive. That has been in a constant decline but you won’t hear that on TV because it won’t alarm people but only inform them.
I’m trading pre-market chat later.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

TPS LOL
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Show Me wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:34 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:58 pm
Show Me wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:48 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:26 pm
Show Me wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:13 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:57 pm
Show Me wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:58 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:08 pm So sorry, some are so hung up on their hate for liberals, this President has used that against you with his Fake News Narrative. He has blinded a large portion of the country making wearing mask Political. It is about Health and Common Sense. That Narrative has killed many Americans and has to end. Mask wearing ended the Spanish Flu in 1918, don't let the Administration keep using your hate of liberals against you. This is about lives and Health, we are leading the World in the Mismanagement of this Pandemic. They are thinking of restricting our travel to their countries, we have become a joke.
Wearing a mask is a recommended not required.
Staying home is also recommended to be safer.
Who are you to tell me what I should do?
Cause it’s not just about you.
Stay inside then.
Wow.
Outside of a vaccine that’s the best option to not getting it.
Or taking 3 seconds to put on a mask and maybe 15 more seconds to use hand sanitizer. Of course this is only if one wants to function in public either to take care of shopping needs or work. I know those 18 seconds are an assault on your liberty and, yes it is your or my choice in all facets.
https://memecrunch.com/meme/3H5ER/what- ... ?w=400&c=1
You obviously know little about masks. Even the best mask is smothering with you breathing your own germs and carbon dioxide. That said I have done my homework and I have read articles from several doctors including bacteria and virus researchers. Cloth mask are 98% ineffective, paper disposal masks have too many wrinkles and gaps and the N95 mask is so named because it is 95% effective for bacteria and viruses above .3 microns and guess what coronavirus is .06 microns if you choose to wear a mask I am fine with that and support your choice however healthy people do not need to wear a mask. Only seriously ill and health workers need them so please try to refrain from making those like me who choose not to from being attacked verbally. Thank you and God bless you and your family. May they all remain safe.
What a hot take. Please don't tell the thousands of surgeons we have in the US about them breathing in their own germs and carbon dioxide for hours on end from when they perform surgery.
McWave
High Tide

Show Me wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:34 pm
You obviously know little about masks. Even the best mask is smothering with you breathing your own germs and carbon dioxide. That said I have done my homework and I have read articles from several doctors including bacteria and virus researchers. Cloth mask are 98% ineffective, paper disposal masks have too many wrinkles and gaps and the N95 mask is so named because it is 95% effective for bacteria and viruses above .3 microns and guess what coronavirus is .06 microns if you choose to wear a mask I am fine with that and support your choice however healthy people do not need to wear a mask. Only seriously ill and health workers need them so please try to refrain from making those like me who choose not to from being attacked verbally. Thank you and God bless you and your family. May they all remain safe.
[/quote]

So you (SM) believe all masks are ineffective on covid19. But you state, "seriously ill and health workers need them (masks)". If you believe all masks are ineffective then why would you advise anyone to wear a mask? Are you suggesting seriously ill and healthcare workers need to accessorize their wardrobe via masks as a fashion statement? I missed Zoolander's NYC fashion exhibit. Maybe you could recap the spring and summer line. Stay safe and wear or don't wear a mask makes no difference but you look good if you have one.
Show Me
Tsunami

Hospital stay has sometimes been known for picking up infections.
Surgery and health care worker attempt for a germ free environment so a mask in that setting is protocol. Gloves as well.
You cut open someone they are at a much higher risk of infection.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

It’s actually impressive that Trump has even been able to turn wearing a simple mask during a pandemic into a political debate. Say what you want but the guy knows his audience.

But what do I know I am just hear breathing my own germs.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I used to enjoy when the recent topics were half sports and half corona, politics and non sports related topics.
GreenLantern
Riptide

It seems to me that we've got this thing backwards. The never-maskers are quick to state "if you want everyone to wear a mask and you are concerned about becoming infected, you should simply stay at home."

The fact is, in order to live, I am forced to leave home to buy groceries and go to the doctor. I cannot simply 'stay at home'. It seems logical that the never-maskers who claim it is their God-given right to go mask-free should be the folks who are asked to stay at home where they are free to wear no mask and also live their lives sans bra and underwear if they so choose. (Did you see the video on tv of the state legislator who says she wears no mask nor underwear because 'things gotta breathe'. Ew.)

What's that? No one can force you to wear something against your will? Seems only yesterday that motorcyclists lost their right to go helmet-free and they weren't posing much of a risk to others. And as much as I hate wearing a seat belt on a long trip, those pesky legislators are quick to fine me if I don't. Those are two examples when the greatest risk is only to myself. Failure to wear a mask at a public place of business puts everyone at risk.

And please. :beathead: Before you claim to know an infectious disease expert that would be willing to testify that masks are not helpful and may even be dangerous, I'm gonna need names and documentation. Not to say you're full of crap...well, actually, I am.
Show Me
Tsunami

It’s not a Trump thing with me. I’m anti-government telling me what is supposed to be good for me.
Required Motorcycle Helmets here were removed under Republican Governor Mike Foster. They may be required under Democratic Governor Edwards now I’m not sure. Illinois, Iowa and some others do not have a motorcycle helmet law.
That’s all. If you want to mask up that’s ok if not that’s ok too. Most of the positives are now coming from age 35 and under. So they won’t have the issues the nursing folks had.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:43 pm It’s not a Trump thing with me. I’m anti-government telling me what is supposed to be good for me.
Required Motorcycle Helmets here were removed under Republican Governor Mike Foster. They may be required under Democratic Governor Edwards now I’m not sure. Illinois, Iowa and some others do not have a motorcycle helmet law.
That’s all. If you want to mask up that’s ok if not that’s ok too. Most of the positives are now coming from age 35 and under. So they won’t have the issues the nursing folks had.
If you don't want to mask up STAY HOME. The mask isn't about protecting you. It's about protecting whom you cross paths with. Don't be a selfish, ignorant douche bag. Mask up when in public or stay home.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
McWave
High Tide

Show Me wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:43 pm It’s not a Trump thing with me. I’m anti-government telling me what is supposed to be good for me.
Required Motorcycle Helmets here were removed under Republican Governor Mike Foster. They may be required under Democratic Governor Edwards now I’m not sure.
Masks are not specifically for your safety.....You know that, right? They are to primarily protect others from you. So, government is not telling you what's good for you. Government is protecting others from you. I don't suspect that would make a difference for you.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:53 pm
If you don't want to mask up STAY HOME. The mask isn't about protecting you. It's about protecting whom you cross paths with. Don't be a selfish, ignorant douche bag. Mask up when in public or stay home.
I don’t understand how wearing a mask to protect yourself and others during your 15-20 minute shopping event is an issue. I just don’t. This has nothing to do about politics, freedom etc. It’s reasonable. If you or anyone else in the store sneezes or coughs, how can you argue that a cheap mask would not decrease infection. It is wacky to me.
Show Me
Tsunami

I’d stay home if not feeling well. If Tulane made me wear a mask to attend games I’d comply. But wouldn’t otherwise. Funny thing did happen to me the first time I went out shopping at Walmart I had a lady sneeze/cough right as I passed her. I immediately went to the restroom and washed my hands, face and arms for about 10 minutes. I was pissed but not for her not masking but for her going out sick.
GreenLantern
Riptide

GreenLantern
Riptide

Finally I have been able to understand the never-maskers argument for exposing yourself to disease. You see, if you become infected with everything simultaneously, the viruses compete for dominance rendering them all weakened and impotent. It's called the 'three-stooges-syndrome'. Imagine Curly, Larry, and Moe trying to enter the same door simultaneously, side by side. That's it. I have a new respect for stooges.

Bigschtick
Riptide

I am with you!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:08 pm It’s actually impressive that Trump has even been able to turn wearing a simple mask during a pandemic into a political debate. Say what you want but the guy knows his audience.

Good timing lol. Biden said yesterday should he win he’s making wearing a mask mandatory.
gbgreenie
Surge

To end arguments about Masks and CO2, Cycling mask with valves shut off the virus when inhaling and allow your CO2 to escape when exhaling. I did not know these existed until a few weeks ago. buy one use the virus resistant filters and you can wear all day, like no mask at all.
Cycling masks are consisted of reusable face mask shell and replaceable filter. For general prevention of pollution, pollen, dust and bacteria, carbon filter is enough and economical.
https://www.fitsportsproducts.com/produ ... -dust-mask
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:53 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:08 pm It’s actually impressive that Trump has even been able to turn wearing a simple mask during a pandemic into a political debate. Say what you want but the guy knows his audience.

Good timing lol. Biden said yesterday should he win he’s making wearing a mask mandatory.
and all masks much be purchased from Hunter
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

Good stock buy in perhaps: https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1029346082 (only oral medication in trials):
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
nawlinspete
Riptide

Once upon a time barbers and undertakers were the local doctors .

Once upon a time doctors did not wash their hands and did not understand why they were being asked to .

At this time our "leaders" are killing people by not wearing masks , leading many to discount the need for wearing them .

The difference between barbers and undertakers and doctors of old and our "leaders" ; our leaders know better and deliberately mislead ; being more concerned with being reelected than they are with the lives of their constituents .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenLantern
Riptide

I would guess that few (if any) will read this article, and even fewer minds will be changed. Nevertheless, I hope for the best:

COVID-19 and mask confusion: Separating myths from realities

Since many will have no interest in clicking the link, I prepared an executive summary for you:

MYTH: Masks don't really provide protection from COVID-19
REALITY: Wearing masks can reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 to about 3%

MYTH: Only people who are infected or have weak immune systems need masks
REALITY: Asymptomatic people account for 40-50% of COVID-19 infections

MYTH: Wearing a mask can make people sick from carbon dioxide poisoning
REALITY: Health care workers have worn masks for years with no ill effects

MYTH: Wearing a mask protects other people but not me
REALITY: Masks help everyone keep their droplets to themselves, which significantly reduces the spread of respiratory infections

MYTH: If a mask covers my mouth, I'm good
REALITY: Respiratory droplets are released from your nose and mouth

MYTH: If everyone wears a mask, we don't need to social distance
REALITY: Wearing a mask is one of several nonpharmaceutical interventions recommended by infectious disease experts to combat the pandemic

MYTH N95s are the only masks that provide protection against COVID-19
REALITY: Nearly all face coverings can block respiratory droplets, lab tests show

MYTH: Businesses can't make me wear a face mask.
REALITY: A number of jurisdictions recently made masks mandatory

MYTH: All masks have to be thrown out after one use
REALITY: Cloth masks are reusable and should be washed after each use

MYTH: Even if the entire country wore a mask it wouldn't make a difference
REALITY: Universal masking has dramatically reduced infection rates in several countries
JerseyWave
Riptide

There’s a theory being spread on sports talk radio that some Southeastern Conference schools plus Clemson are purposefully exposing their football players to the virus now so that they have immunity to it and won’t get sick during the season. Coincidentally, Clemson, Alabama, LSU have lots of guys with positive tests.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:25 pm There’s a theory being spread on sports talk radio that some Southeastern Conference schools plus Clemson are purposefully exposing their football players to the virus now so that they have immunity to it and won’t get sick during the season. Coincidentally, Clemson, Alabama, LSU have lots of guys with positive tests.
That would be really foolish in light of the fact that the experts say there's a chance the immunity won't be indefinite. It would also be really reckless and would cost people their jobs if it were ever to come out.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
gbgreenie
Surge

No immunity, virus has mutated again,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... d=msedgntp
God help us!!!