Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:48 am
tpstulane wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:05 am 95% of the NOLA deaths are coming from people with pre-existing conditions.
https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/a ... 704c4.html
TPS, if you are attempting to allay everyone's fear that contracting the virus is a death sentence, I agree with you. In all probability those who are infected will survive. If you're over 40, you may suffer diminished heart and lung capacities, but survival is likely.

My concern is that as people read statements like your post, they are more likely to shrug things off with "If I get sick, I get sick... It's not like I'm gonna die." Anything that causes people to trivialize the threat or to relax their guard by thinking, "I'll get over this even if I catch it" is dangerous . Do the math. If only 30% of the country becomes infected, and only 95% of the deaths come from the folks that are already ill, you will arrive at a mortality total that's in the millions.

The common good will be served by overestimating the danger and not the converse.
I’ve been only watching the death rate. I believe a 1/3 of the densely populated US areas will be infected or have been.
It’s strictly a numbers game. The virus has to run its course and there will be no stopping it until a vaccine is produced. You can slow it but stopping it is only coming with mass immunization. My mom is 85 diabetes and probably overweight she has self isolated since the beginning.
Saw your story on the grandkid. Our grandkid (2 yrs old) had similar symptoms she was diagnosed with RSV. Not sure if it effects older children.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Those blaming Trump need to read this February statement from Dr. Fauci.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 787209002/
Fauci says skip the masks unless you are contagious, don't worry about catching anything from Chinese products and certainly don't avoid Chinese people or restaurants.

"Whenever you have the threat of a transmissible infection, there are varying degrees from understandable to outlandish extrapolations of fear," Fauci said.
My point is that no one should be blamed. Even the experts were wrong here. Hopefully a drug or vaccine comes along quickly to end this pandemic.
😷😷😷
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:05 am 95% of the NOLA deaths are coming from people with pre-existing conditions.
Unbelievable that you are still in denial and pissed that baseball cancelled .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

swampnik wrote : I don't "write in" but I do usually vote for a 3rd party about 50% of the time since 1972.

No wonder you're unhappy politically . Your vote is totally wasted on 3rd party and write ins .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:53 pm My granddaughter is 12. She is the sweetest, prettiest, smartest granddaughter I could hope for. She's been coughing for a couple days and this afternoon her temperature rose to 100. My daughter immediately took her to a physician where she was diagnosed with pneumonia. She was then taken to a drive-thru COVID testing area where a culture was collected. It may take as much as 7 days before we have results. She has three brothers, one older. She has been at home since school was suspended. To the best of our family's knowledge, no one has come in contact with anyone who has the disease.

As a society and as a country, we need to minimize the blame game and name calling and focus our attention on prevention. Prevention. Prevention. Please realize that this may be the most infectious disease ever to appear on earth. If you or any family member has left your home for any reason within the past two weeks, you are at risk. If anyone has been in your home, you and your family have potentially been exposed.

If this were your granddaughter, would you view things differently? Would you rethink how careful you have been and perhaps attempt a bit more empathy and kindness?

Godbless and stay safe. I will keep everyone posted.
Sorry to hear that GL. I will put her in my prayers. Please keep us posted on her situation. Hope she gets well soon.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
swampnik
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:24 am
swampnik wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:14 am Sorry to hear that GL. Does you daughter live in NOLA? If so, can you tell me where the drive-thru testing station is located here?
My daughter lives on the north shore. She told me that the drive-thru was at a strip center...I didn't ask which one but I think it was the mall with the Barnes & Noble bookstore. If you want more info, PM me and I'll ask her for specifics.

In any case, keep in mind that it will take 7 days for the results. She has since learned that Oschner's tests can be returned in a much shorter period. I think it is 48 hours.
Thanks so much for info. I would be south shore so the Oschner option would be my best if I feel ill. I wonder if the satellite Oschner clinics would be set up to administer these type of tests ?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

You do realize that one of the pre-existing conditions Is obesity, and anywhere from 35-40% of LA residents are in fact obese. Which I can also only imagine many have diabetes either diagnosed or not.
greenie78
Riptide

Trump will get criticism but the CDC is mainly responsible for the outcome.
dpm wave
Swell

For those hoping to absolve der leader from this catastrophe, should read this. Please, let me know which statement (s) is (are) false.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... are_btn_tw
HoustonWave
Tsunami

dpm wave wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:46 am For those hoping to absolve der leader from this catastrophe, should read this. Please, let me know which statement (s) is (are) false.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... are_btn_tw
The story conveniently ignores why the private labs were not allowed to issue and use C-19 tests before February 29th. It also fails to acknowledge that many healthcare professionals are wanting to use Chloroquine on the most seriously ill, and some have hoarded the drug for their own family and personal use. Somebody should tell the former senior FDA official that we have a once in a lifetime pandemic unfolding, and yes, the FDA will be expected to do things outside their usual modus operandi. The article’s lack of in depth analysis and explanation for all the shortcomings gives it away as just another anti-Trump rant.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Riptide

For sure Trump didn’t take it seriously early on, but the big culprits are the CDC and FDA. Their inaction is the biggest reason the virus spread because we didn’t have enough testing early on. They have a lot of blood on their hands. Not to mention certain curmudgeon Greenbackers who suggested the social distancing measures was a big overreaction.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Because they didn't start developing those vaccines until February, and they did bypass a year long process for approval.

Chloroquine has serious side effects, but is being used along with azithromycin (sp?) on the most serious cases. Trump called for this treatment as soon as he got a whisper that it might work. The FDA is a little more cautious, but has fast-lane approval for this protocol. It's amazing how Trump supporters will go to any extent to exonerate him from any culpability in the fact that the US had a horrible response to the threat. Trump admitted on Friday that he didn't work with certain Governors based upon politics. It was the most humble admission he's given since being elected. NY officials think the state is 3-5 weeks from peaking. I hope it's a whole lot sooner and that all of the "social isolation" pays off. Meanwhile, I'll binge watch ("Longmire" currently) and read, and try not to watch much TV news, or read the Covid-19 related internet.

Good news: Abbott Labs got FDA approval for a Covid-19 test that gives positive results in 8 minutes and negative results in 13 minutes (I would think that if it goes past 8 minutes you'd consider that a negative, but who knows!) They hope to have 50,000 machines in place within a week.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
swampnik
Surge

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:21 am swampnik wrote : I don't "write in" but I do usually vote for a 3rd party about 50% of the time since 1972.

No wonder you're unhappy politically . Your vote is totally wasted on 3rd party and write ins .
No Pete, just a classic Independent that votes his conscience each time. Our country could use a strong 3rd party like Canada. May I assume that you dislike Nadar and blame him for Gore's loss in that past election?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

swampnik wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:16 am
No Pete, just a classic Independent that votes his conscience each time. Our country could use a strong 3rd party like Canada. May I assume that you dislike Nadar and blame him for Gore's loss in that past election?
Now is the time we could really use a strong MODERATE third party. The extreme right and extreme left are running the GOP and Dems. There's a significant majority that would support a moderate candidate. Too late for 2020, but it would be great to take control away from the extremists that are so divisive.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:04 am Because they didn't start developing those vaccines until February, and they did bypass a year long process for approval.

Chloroquine has serious side effects, but is being used along with azithromycin (sp?) on the most serious cases. Trump called for this treatment as soon as he got a whisper that it might work. The FDA is a little more cautious, but has fast-lane approval for this protocol. It's amazing how Trump supporters will go to any extent to exonerate him from any culpability in the fact that the US had a horrible response to the threat. Trump admitted on Friday that he didn't work with certain Governors based upon politics. It was the most humble admission he's given since being elected. NY officials think the state is 3-5 weeks from peaking. I hope it's a whole lot sooner and that all of the "social isolation" pays off. Meanwhile, I'll binge watch ("Longmire" currently) and read, and try not to watch much TV news, or read the Covid-19 related internet.

Good news: Abbott Labs got FDA approval for a Covid-19 test that gives positive results in 8 minutes and negative results in 13 minutes (I would think that if it goes past 8 minutes you'd consider that a negative, but who knows!) They hope to have 50,000 machines in place within a week.
Everything I have read says fast tracking a vaccine to a year would be very difficult. Perhaps if we had all hands on deck you could get under a year but it will be very dangerous as you need to be able to assess long term effects.
GreenLantern
Riptide

We have all morphed from sports attorneys to infectious disease experts to political scientists... sometimes within the same post... 8-)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:40 am We have all morphed from sports attorneys to infectious disease experts to political scientists... sometimes within the same post... 8-)
Yeah you right!

I sold infectious disease control software from 2005-2011. Thus I know just enough to be dangerous. Our software (my family started developing it in the early/mid 1980's) is now being used by about 35-40% of hospitals for hospital employee health. My (former) biggest competitor has an equal market share. But that experience certainly doesn't make me an expert, you are right.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 pm And his lack of response, when the virus was well known in late December, is attributed to???

Whether or not you want to get into the semantics of his calling the virus a hoax or not, his statement was interpreted by a LARGE percent of the population that the virus was a hoax. That caused a lot of our country to not take this seriously. PERIOD.

His lack of being a leader and speaking the truth shines through once again. He's about to undue whatever good we've done to slow the virus down by isoloating. As he's been since elected, The Donald is #notpresidential.
I'm late to the party here, but I need to address this falsehood that is continuing to be spread. This virus WAS NOT well known in December.

First, with regards to the "intel" Trump supposedly got. What he got was the standard global threat assessment report that is given to EVERY president EVERY year. There is NOTHING in it that identifies and says" be prepared, we're expecting a pandemic shortly." What it says, AS IT HAS FOR THE PAST TWENTY YEARS, is the country is not prepared to properly handle a pandemic, so we're susceptible to it if one were to happen. EVERY president this century has seen that notice every year. After the National Reserve was depleted in 2010 due to swine flu, the supplies were never replenished. Not by Obama in his last six years, or Trump in his 4 years. Also, nothing was done in those 10 years to make us MORE prepared.

TL;DR - bottom line, Trump WASN'T told months in advance there's a pandemic coming.

This is the report from 2015, just as an example. The last of the 4 bullet points page 11. Its just a GENERAL assessment.

https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/Unc ... _FINAL.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------
As for when the virus actually started, here's some timeline highlights:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/ ... 54884.html

Dec 31 - China sees first cases of an "unusual pneumonia".

Jan 7 - China finally identifies the virus we now know as CoVID-19

Jan 11- FIRST DEATH in China.

Jan 14 - China still telling everyone there's no indication of transmission human to human

Jan 20 - FIRST US case identified.

Jan 31 - Trump bans travel from China

Feb 29 - CDC saying there is no spread of CoVID-19 in the community in the US at this time.

Mar 2 - Bill deBlasio tells people of NYC to go out, see a play or movie, go to dinner, etc.

So we are where we are. This thing has happened. We can't change it. But the truth is, the blame really lies with the states. We were created as a country of 50 SOVEREIGN STATES. The STATES are responsible for taking care of their citizens. Somehow, over the years since the Civil War, the states have taken less of a responsibility for their own citizens, and just turn to the federal govt when things get tough. That's not how we were created. Obviously, this is a big thing, and the feds need to help however they can. But hopefully after this, states will put more emphasis on making sure they can take care of their citizens and less emphasis on bike lanes, solar panel farms, park beautification and taking down monuments
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

“Hope” delayed until end of April.
President Trump extends national social distancing guidelines through April 30
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

RobertM320. LOL
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

M320: Any response to Trump firing the Pandemic Response Team in 2018?

Any response to the fact that South Korea, which had it's first case the same day as the US did, had a MUCH better response and better outcome?

Any response to Trump admitting that the didn't properly deal with certain Governors because of politics?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

In the midst of all this, I lost a friend and mentor yesterday to a senseless robbery of his jewelry store.

https://www.ctpost.com/policereports/ar ... 164833.php

Mark was my mentor 25 years ago when I first started refereeing hockey. He taught me to always remember we were the only ones on the ice getting paid, and that the kids came first. His store was directly below the dojo my son Teddy has his Taekwondo lessons. We would often park in front of Mark's store, and stop in on the way out just to say hi. I am not looking forward to telling the boys what happened before they see it on TV.

Mark was a great man. He will be missed.
Bigschtick
Riptide

The loss of your friend this way, very sad indeed!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Very sorry to hear that. What a terrible tragedy.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:51 pm In the midst of all this, I lost a friend and mentor yesterday to a senseless robbery of his jewelry store.

https://www.ctpost.com/policereports/ar ... 164833.php

Mark was my mentor 25 years ago when I first started refereeing hockey. He taught me to always remember we were the only ones on the ice getting paid, and that the kids came first. His store was directly below the dojo my son Teddy has his Taekwondo lessons. We would often park in front of Mark's store, and stop in on the way out just to say hi. I am not looking forward to telling the boys what happened before they see it on TV.

Mark was a great man. He will be missed.
Very sad. A vivid reminder that despite the C-19 panic, life goes on including many of the never ending problems and risks. I periodically remind folks, that so far this year, over 90,000 Americans have died from sudden cardiac arrest stemming from cardiac arrhythmias.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana