Wave Takes CSF Series In Dramatic Fashion

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Put it in the books!

Tulane wins the series with a 6-4 13 inning marathon.

ROLL WAVE!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
torbida
Surge

Those two squeeze plays top of 13th well done. Next up New Orleans.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

McWave wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:34 pm And I will move on as well. Happy Mardi Gras!!
I missed the second half of yesterday's game, and it seemed like there was some bad blood between the teams. Who was thrown out of the game on the Tulane side tonight? What happened last night?

We should get some votes in the polls this week.

I wish I was "Walking in New Orleans" this week! Enjoy, and smile when you think about our Wave being 6-1 with an era about 1/2 what it was last season (even though it's still early!)

Everyone be safe and ROLL WAVE!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great series road win. Congrats to our program we took a big step forward this weekend. This will build confidence in our club.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:00 pm
McWave wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:34 pm And I will move on as well. Happy Mardi Gras!!
I missed the second half of yesterday's game, and it seemed like there was some bad blood between the teams. Who was thrown out of the game on the Tulane side tonight? What happened last night?

We should get some votes in the polls this week.

I wish I was "Walking in New Orleans" this week! Enjoy, and smile when you think about our Wave being 6-1 with an era about 1/2 what it was last season (even though it's still early!)

Everyone be safe and ROLL WAVE!
Don’t know what happened last night, but I believe it looked like Olthoff who got tossed. I could be wrong. But, what about their closer retaliating by slamming the ball after the third out in the 9th? He cost his team.
Houma de Wave
Swell

TJ beats CSF at their own game with the 2 squeezes and the other sac bunts we had this weekend.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Nice win
Wave755
Tsunami

Fantastic, what a great beginning for this season!!!!

Roll Wave Roll!!!
Forever TU
Surge

This group seems very united. I know it’s early and all that but there is definitely something special brewing here and that’s not just me reacting to a win.
capwave
High Tide

Our bullpen has been so bad in the last few years, that a game like tonight would have been completely unwinnable. After last nights 8th inning debacle, this pitching staff stepped up in a big way to hold them without a run from the 5th to the 12th and only 1 in the 13th. Roll Wave!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Slap that Titan Wall!
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:01 pm Slap that Titan Wall!
That’s for posting this,TPS.
galvezwave
Swell

Houma de Wave wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:07 pm
What’s the story with this wall slapping
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:16 pm
Coaches pick a player that they think provided the spark for the win. They recognize him a sticker to slap on the wall if we win. Usually on the road they slap it on a coach. But tonight they stuck it on the Titans wall with emphasis.
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:33 pm
Coaches pick a player that they think provided the spark for the win. They recognize him a sticker to slap on the wall if we win. Usually on the road they slap it on a coach. But tonight they stuck it on the Titans wall with emphasis.
I can dig that . We should do one with “f**k lsu” on it for the box. And leave it
McWave
High Tide

Great performance by Jannetta, just to point out one of the many contributors. 4.2 scoreless innings. I think he came in the 8th with one out and the score tied. Pitched until we went up 6-3 and got the win after Trent closed out the 13th. True freshman. Keep it going.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Started last season. Called slapping the W. Pick a big contributor and slap away.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

McWave wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:52 pm Great performance by Jannetta, just to point out one of the many contributors. 4.2 scoreless innings. I think he came in the 8th with one out and the score tied. Pitched until we went up 6-3 and got the win after Trent closed out the 13th. True freshman. Keep it going.
Good to see Trent contribute. He's coming back from surgery. If he can get back to full health he will be a big help.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Hope this is a sign that Tulane Baseball is back! Great series win. Heading out to buy another King Cake. Making some darn good ones here in Tucson.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Pepper
Swell

Team ERA 2.32.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:04 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:31 am
McWave wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:33 pm Slagel pitching 4.2 innings with one hit 6k 1bb and Jewett removes him. Stupid stupid stupid. He’s an idiot.
And yet we have people on this board complaining all the time about how many pitches we let them throw this early in the season.
I doubt Jewett pulled him because of a pitch count. He pulled him because he’s an idiot. Apples and oranges—try again.
I didn't say he pulled him because of a pitch count. I was pointing out that the same people who complain that Jewitt lets pitchers run up high pitch counts early in the season are ALSO the ones complaining he took out a RELIEF pitcher who had already thrown 4.2 innings and over 70 pitches.

They want it both ways. If they think he was wrong to pull Slagel because he was pitching well, regardless of his pitch count, then they shouldn't have complained in the season opener when he kept Olthoff in for 113 pitches because he was pitching well. They just want to complain.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:03 pm A win would be huge this afternoon. Taking the weekend series from CSF looks great on a resume to get to (or host) a regional.

BTW: RobertM320: Take a look at how many pitches MLB pitchers are throwing at this time of year. The number is a small fraction (typically about 20) of what we've complained about. Yes, they have a much longer season, but they also train and most throw 12 months/year. Billy Martin famously RUINED an Oakland A's pitching staff by having his young and talented pitchers throw too many pitches. They had 94 complete games in 1981 because Martin didn't trust his bullpen. And that was 39 years ago. Their talented 5 man rotation never came close to what they did that season. So bitch at us for caring about the Tulane pitcher's long term health and knowing we'll need them in April and May and fear burning them out by the end of March.
D, I'm fully aware of what the major league players are doing, and the history of Billy Martin and the A's. I experienced all of that. Its not about caring or not caring about a player's longterm health. It depends on the player and the type of pitcher they are. If you're a strikeout pitcher like Olthoff, you're going to have a higher pitch count most games.. See: Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, etc. Not all pitchers are the same. But to complain after one game that they're overworking a pitcher is a bit over the top.

And now I'll move on as well. 6-1, hopefully some votes in the polls, and I'm off for the next three days. Happy Mardi Gras!
Last edited by RobertM320 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jaxwave
Swell

I never get the jawing back and forth in baseball. We were always taught to have respect for an opponent. Except for that team up the river.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:18 am I never get the jawing back and forth in baseball. We were always taught to have respect for an opponent. Except for that team up the river.
No need to say a word...just beat on the trash can.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We're 6-1. Let's have some fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRlzeS4tzFQ

Happy Lundi Gras.