Spring Football !

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Nothing really new in the article, but awesome to have spring football started up ! Sounds like Howard & Pratt had a decent day. Wish we heard more about the Watts bros making incredible catches. It’s all going to depend on how good Pratt/Howard/QB Summer grad transfer will be and how good our receivers are. Roll wave
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

Mykel Jones is intriguing. He could come in and just rake. I have a feeling Pratt will be in the shot gun (we can’t say under center anymore ) come opening day .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:52 pm Mykel Jones is intriguing. He could come in and just rake. I have a feeling Pratt will be in the shot gun (we can’t say under center anymore ) come opening day .
I don't think Fritz has had the right QB for his system since he's been here.

Last year we ran a few plays with QB under center when we needed to, something that was absent Fritz's first few years here. I'd love to see Pratt step into the starting role, though I think it is Howard's job to lose. Either way, I want to see better QB play than we've had in a long time. Consistency and accuracy would go a long way to making this team a potential 9 or 10 win team.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:52 pm Mykel Jones is intriguing. He could come in and just rake. I have a feeling Pratt will be in the shot gun (we can’t say under center anymore ) come opening day .
We've almost exclusively been in the shotgun since WF got here. I have been excited about Pratt since we got him. The early reports are good. Howard is capable and has started games before. He's now in his second year in Hall's system and is a dual threat QB. Unless we get a quality grad transfer he's the likely starter. If so I would expect us to get Pratt into at least four games to get experience going forward. Fritz lamented yesterday that he wished he had gotten Howard more meaningful snaps next year. anxious to see how it all plays out.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

win, have you been to practice, or just hearing that Pratt looks good? Your updates from now until the beginning of the season are always the highlights of the pre-season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks. No I wasn't there yesterday. Going by a couple of people I trust. I like both Howard and Pratt. Howard is dual threat. The question has been ball security which cost him at USM. He has stuck it out here and has a year of Hall's system. As to Pratt I have been open about liking him based on his ballsy move to transfer at the highest level in Florida to a school with an incumbent starter. To me that speaks volumes about him. He's going to have a chip on his shoulder for not being recruited by bigger schools. On top of all that he's here for spring practice. A lot to be excited about.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I like the option on hand, I’m not sure why people were/are down on Howard. I am however still fascinated by which jaded P5 QB we could get after spring practices. . . What’s that Duffy kid up to ? ;)
wave97
Swell

Looking forward to the ongoing development of our o-line. Coach Kennedy and the strength/conditioning staff are very good at what they do.
We need some swag to return on defense as a whole. When you are using 5, 6 & 7 cover quality db's, you're going to give up some big plays. But last year our db's were forced to make way, way too many tackles 15 yards downfield. We had some injuries up front last year, but we need to better develop our d-line to fundamentally deny access of the o-lineman **while** utilizing explosiveness to penetrate gaps and make plays behind the line of scrimmage when called upon. It's not an easy thing to do.
The combination of Tanzel Smart, Sean Wilson & Nico Marley was a beautiful thing to watch. They had the ability to penetrate gaps & make plays while disguiding any pre-snap indictation of their intentions. Tanzel & Sean were also technically sound at denying access of o-lineman to the second level. Finding people who can naturally do one of those things us good. Finding players who can be coached to do both is special. Let's hope 2020 is special👍
winwave
Top of the WAVE

On defense we need schematic adjustments so that Patrick Johnson is rushing the passer rather than dropping into coverage. Teams took full advantage of that last year. Our staff didn't recognize that till very late in the season. Hopefully they've followed up on that. As far as I'm concerned Jack Curtis is on a very hot seat. If he can't take full advantage of all the talent he has at his disposal it will be time to move on from him.
wave97
Swell

He did pretty well with Lionel's players.
One person can't sustain a pass rush by himself.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:28 pm I like the option on hand, I’m not sure why people were/are down on Howard. I am however still fascinated by which jaded P5 QB we could get after spring practices. . . What’s that Duffy kid up to ? ;)
Hopefully we find a grad transfer QB soon. QB key in this offense.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I agree with winwave that Jack Curtis should feel the heat. Last year our D line was touted as one of the top 10 in D1 (not just G5 mind you.) They certainly didn't live up to the hype, or even come close. I'm also not sure we're going to get a Grad Transfer QB that's better than what's already in house. I don't think Howard or Pratt are a step down from what we've had (which hasn't been very good) since Fritz got here. I'd love to see Pratt beat out Howard and watch him improve so that we ultimately have a true leader at the QB position for years to come. But if Howard wins the competition, I still think he'll be every bit as good as Justin McMillan was. Who knows, with a 2nd year with Coach Hall, maybe he'll exceed expectations.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Im sure Tyrrell Pigrome Maryland’s Dual Threat Grad transfer QB is on their radar . . . If they want him. We almost had him out of high school and he’s from Alabama, but has had problems throwing Int’s. His stats are nothing to write home about. Not sure he’s better than Howard. I think we just like the idea of extra depth and competition at the position.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If Tulane has spots open...go after grad transfer DL or DB's ...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:01 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:28 pm I like the option on hand, I’m not sure why people were/are down on Howard. I am however still fascinated by which jaded P5 QB we could get after spring practices. . . What’s that Duffy kid up to ? ;)
Hopefully we find a grad transfer QB soon. QB key in this offense.
I’m not Necessarily down on Howard. I’d like to break that cycle of flawed transfers and have our own 3 or 4 year guy that wanted to come in the first place. Banks and McMillan came because they had no chance of playing where they were at. Not to sound unappreciative . We needed em.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:50 am He did pretty well with Lionel's players.
One person can't sustain a pass rush by himself.
Especially when he's not even rushing the passer himself.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:09 am If Tulane has spots open...go after grad transfer DL or DB's ...
+1 if ever there is a cascading effect in football nowhere is it more visible than the d-line.
I'm willing to give Coach Curtis the benefit of the doubt. He was in a bad spot last year in spite of all the preseason build up of the defense.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

In my mind the priorities are :

1) Grad Transfer QB with 2 years left

2) WR
3) OL
4)DB ( I worry about Kyle Meyers having a change of heart, not coming And leaving a gaping hole).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:34 pm Last practice report:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... f3264.html
Glad to hear about Daniels. Playing other positions when QB will not be an option is a great way to contribute and better enjoy your college football experience.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:09 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:34 pm Last practice report:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... f3264.html
Glad to hear about Daniels. Playing other positions when QB will not be an option is a great way to contribute and better enjoy your college football experience.
Agree. I hope he makes the most of the chance.