Streak Over- Tulane Beats SMU 80-72

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Last edited by winwave on Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

SMU is favored by 8.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave up 67-56 with 3:59 left.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The losing streak finally ends ! Happy for the players.
MicMan
Swell

Was Hunter there?
WavyHoops
High Tide

winwave wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:16 pm The losing streak finally ends ! Happy for the players.
Happy to see the team rewarded for their continued effort.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wait. . . But are we better then under Dunleavy ? 😂😂😂😂
Houma de Wave
Swell

SMU was 18-6. The streak ended with a win over one of the AAC’s better teams.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Houma de Wave wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:10 pm SMU was 18-6. The streak ended with a win over one of the AAC’s better teams.
Correct. We beat a Very good Cinci team (ranked 50 net), a traditional power in Temple on the road, a very good SMU team (ranked 66 net) and a good Utah team on a neutral court (ranked 84). I think we are SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year and our coach is the real deal.

If anything we are canibalizing our conference and playing spoiler.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

SMU had only won one AAC road game all year. So I felt we had a chance tonight and we did exactly what was needed to win. Hope it continues. We should be able to
beat Memphis and UCONN at home.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
WavyHoops
High Tide

The season has been defined by Walker’s performances. When he’s been good, everyone else plays in a more natural position, the spacing is better and he’s creating for others with penetration. When he’s been bad (or in Hunter’s doghouse) the offense has looked terrible.

Makes me wonder if Coach is taking the long view on Walker (who is a sophomore) and really trying to coach him up to where he thinks he should be (vs his approach to many of the other players who will be gone after this season).
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Agree. No doubt Walker is a key cog to this team having success to end this season.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Congrats to Coach Hunter and the entire team and staff. Good to see the work they've been putting in finally get them another "W". It would have been easy to mail this one in, especially after the performance vs. WSU, which was over by halftime.

And the program is in a whole lot better shape, despite the record, than it was a year ago. We have a coach that understands the college game, something Dunleavy never figured out.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
galvezwave
Swell

Can hunter recruit AAC talent . Of course he can coach . Getting Ali off Arkansas bench isn’t the same as beating them for jerald Honeycutt. Getting Hightower from Uga isn’t the same as signing Chris Cameron out of Georgia. I hope he can get it done cause nobody else has since perry. I like hunter . I hope he’s the guy but he got a heaping slice of humble pie for sure
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:36 am Can hunter recruit AAC talent . Of course he can coach . Getting Ali off Arkansas bench isn’t the same as beating them for jerald Honeycutt. Getting Hightower from Uga isn’t the same as signing Chris Cameron out of Georgia. I hope he can get it done cause nobody else has since perry. I like hunter . I hope he’s the guy but he got a heaping slice of humble pie for sure
Hunter started recruiting this team in April, when most programs had their fill of players signed. He pieced together a team that didn't exist at this time a year ago. I'm sure his eyes have been opened as to the talent level needed to win in the AAC. And he won't need 12 new players this coming off-season.
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:57 am
galvezwave wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:36 am Can hunter recruit AAC talent . Of course he can coach . Getting Ali off Arkansas bench isn’t the same as beating them for jerald Honeycutt. Getting Hightower from Uga isn’t the same as signing Chris Cameron out of Georgia. I hope he can get it done cause nobody else has since perry. I like hunter . I hope he’s the guy but he got a heaping slice of humble pie for sure
Hunter started recruiting this team in April, when most programs had their fill of players signed. He pieced together a team that didn't exist at this time a year ago. I'm sure his eyes have been opened as to the talent level needed to win in the AAC. And he won't need 12 new players this coming off-season.
Absolutely. I wasn’t implying he did a poor job with this team. Did all he could do
Jaxwave
Swell

Only major disappointment to me is the lack of boxing out in rebounding. That is a fundamental that can be easily taught and learned and I saw no concept of that out of any of the players this season. IMHO with just an improvement in defensive blockouts, this team could have won 4-5 more games. I really don’t understand his self proclaimed lack of priority in that aspect of the game.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:59 am Only major disappointment to me is the lack of boxing out in rebounding. That is a fundamental that can be easily taught and learned and I saw no concept of that out of any of the players this season. IMHO with just an improvement in defensive blockouts, this team could have won 4-5 more games. I really don’t understand his self proclaimed lack of priority in that aspect of the game.
I couldn't agree more. Rebounding is about effort, and if we don't stress the effort needed to box out when the ball is in the air during practice, we won't do it during games. As much as we saw drills last summer about diving after loose balls, I'd rather see them working on boxing out. There's a hell of a lot more missed shots than loose balls! If we could make that one adjustment, we'd definitely have a few more wins.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The Highland view from North Dallas
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... -past-smu/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:32 am The Highland view from North Dallas
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... -past-smu/
This sums it up well on why we won:
Tulane scored a season-high 53 second-half points, shooting 72% during the period (13-for-18) and made all six attempts from beyond the 3-point arc.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
swampnik
Surge

Excellent win! I was there and got to say hi to Coach Fritz and Troy. Double treat.,
Boys played relaxed and banged the boards for rebounds on both ends that were key to victory.
Other observations:
1. Walker was superb all night
2. Smart use when needed of substituting Zhang and Days
3. 8 steals in 1st half.
4. Up by 15 and still holding on in a shaky last 4 minutes to pull away with the W by 8 points.
5. This rag tag bunch can really compete with ANYONE` when firing on all cylinders.
6. Memphis they`ll be ready.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Super win, against a good team. Walker, Hightower and Thompson really played well--Lawson struggled, and Days really struggled throughout the game. We were far more aggressive on offense, attacking the lane throughout the game--and our defensive effort was excellent. Rebounding is still an issue, but our defensive rebounding was pretty good. SMU will be quite good next year, as they have no seniors on their squad. Despite recent struggles, and lack of size in the middle, Hunter's program is vastly ahead of anything we had under Dunleavy.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Rebounding is certainly a concern but we won the battle of the boards last night. Most importantly we won it in that last critical four minute period when otherwise we were doing some boneheaded things making it look like like we were trying to give it away.

As to improvement there is no question that we are light years ahead of where we were with MD in charge.
swampnik
Surge

Jaxwave wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:59 am Only major disappointment to me is the lack of boxing out in rebounding. That is a fundamental that can be easily taught and learned and I saw no concept of that out of any of the players this season. IMHO with just an improvement in defensive blockouts, this team could have won 4-5 more games. I really don’t understand his self proclaimed lack of priority in that aspect of the game.
Tulane actually out rebounded the Ponies last night 32-29. Boys were a leaping.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)