Playing of the Tulane Alma Mater

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

After games I always stay for the playing of the alma mater. I also sing the words. To me this is a very important tradition that bonds athletic teams to the university.

At Saturday night’s basketball game I was rushing to meet my wife and I left the game early. I have been told by others that our team did the same. That is, they hurriedly left the court leaving only the cheerleaders and Shockwave to assemble for the alma mater.

I draw the line at this. I’m pissed. I can (and usually have) sat through embarrassing seasons to support teams only because they were part of Tulane. If this coach and this team fail to realize that acknowledging their loyalty to the school is more than an important gesture, then they are no better than a poor farm team filled with transient, mercenary wannabes.

Mr Dannen, I can support a terrible team that represents Tulane, but if they are unwilling to feign loyalty for a brief playing of our alma mater, then you can have my season tickets for the rest of the season.

If there was a good reason for the team’s hasty departure (other than another humiliating defeat) I will quickly apologize. If not, all fans and alumni deserve an apology from Coach Hunter.

anEngineer
Riptide

I understand the point, but they are often singing to empty bleachers because the students already left. It looks somewhat ridiculous when a lot of fans are still on the other side (singing) and the band is still there (playing). Maybe they should start facing the band.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Contact the Coach and let him know how you are feeling!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
MicMan
Swell

" If this coach and this team fail to realize that acknowledging their loyalty to the school is more than an important gesture, then they are no better than a poor farm team filled with transient, mercenary wannabes."

You answered your own question.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Really.....with a LAST PLACE CONFERENCE FINISH LOOMING and our coach, who proclaimed that WE WOULD NOT FINISH IN LAST PLACE ..THIS is what you are bitching about? When the stands are FULL and the selfish students stay around, THEN do it. Until then...Just win, BABY!