What if ? Tulane stayed in the SEC & became LSU’s biggest rival ?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:26 am
anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 am They played the Tulane-LSU game in Tulane stadium 2 years in a row?
Yes. LSU had scheduled too many home games that year so they agreed to play us here. Absolutely knew for sure we were going to win when that happened.
The lsu season ticket fan base was in an uproar over the cost, with too many home games, 8 being played, the fan base could not afford the cost of an xtra home game, so lsu thinking most of the fans at Tulane stadium would be for lsu, rescheduled the game for NOLA, boy did they get a surprise, the Tulane fan base was out in force...Friar Tucks was a hapening place pregame and the lsu fans who came for a beer and burger, knew it was going to be one hell of a long azz nite.... I don't think they ever saw Tulane fans as vocal, in pre, during and after the game...it was also damn loud in Fat City following the game, Tulane fans resfused to put up with any krap, unlike previuos years, where they just bowed their heads and tucked their tails

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:45 am
anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 am They played the Tulane-LSU game in Tulane stadium 2 years in a row?
Yes. LSU had scheduled too many home games that year so they agreed to play us here. Absolutely knew for sure we were going to win when that happened.
Bottom line - by 1973, 7 years post SEC exit, we were again competitive with and beat LSU, a good LSU team that finished 9-3, 5-1 SEC for that season.
Bottom line- deemphasis was still in place and prevented us from sustaining that success.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:06 am
Wave755 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:45 am
Bottom line - by 1973, 7 years post SEC exit, we were again competitive with and beat LSU, a good LSU team that finished 9-3, 5-1 SEC for that season.
Bottom line- deemphasis was still in place and prevented us from sustaining that success.
And, in 1979 we beat them again, this time at the Dome on national television. And then, we beat them 2 of 3 years under Gibson from 1980 to 1982. But, in 1980 Sheldon Hackney resigned as president and was replaced by Eamon Kelly, and following the “sleaze ball” Wally English era (Why Hindman Wall passed on Lindy Infante and hired instead Vince Gibson in 1980, I will never understand), Kelly then stuck us with the “Tulane Model” we labored under until quite recently. Mack Brown was a vocal critic of the “Tulane Model” before his departure for North Carolina in 1987. Cowen then maintained the "Tulane Model" for most of his 16.5 year tenure as president.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The Tulane Model is just the updated modern name for deemphasis. Its prevented us from keeping good coaches thus allowing many opportunities to make bad hires such as Gibson over Infante.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:57 am The Tulane Model is just the updated modern name for deemphasis. Its prevented us from keeping good coaches thus allowing many opportunities to make bad hires such as Gibson over Infante.
another name for the "Tulane Model' was "YUGO"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:57 am The Tulane Model is just the updated modern name for deemphasis. Its prevented us from keeping good coaches thus allowing many opportunities to make bad hires such as Gibson over Infante.
Our real problem now is P5 v. G5.
Wave755
Tsunami

1980 was all about the stupidity of Hindman Wall, When Infante left in late 1979 to become OC for the Cincinnati Bengals he had no idea Larry Smith would later leave for an Arizona job that wouldn't open up until the spring of 1980. In 1981 the Bengals went to the SuperBowl but lost. In 1982, after firing Gibson, Wall then offered the job to Infante who said no. In 1982 we were still under the "Francis Sheldon Hackney Model" for athletics.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Imagine how many more times Tulane would have beaten LSU without de emphasis and the Tulane Model ? How much more success would we have had ?

Glad we are on a new path now. We need to handle our business and keep winning. Win the AAC and be a NY6 team. Grow the fan base. If a Hail Mary Converts in 5 years if there is realignment and we go P5, great. But I’m not holding my breathe. It will be big when the playoff expands and G5 gets a spot.
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:00 pm Imagine how many more times Tulane would have beaten LSU without de emphasis and the Tulane Model ? How much more success would we have had ?

Glad we are on a new path now. We need to handle our business and keep winning. Win the AAC and be a NY6 team. Grow the fan base. If a Hail Mary Converts in 5 years if there is realignment and we go P5, great. But I’m not holding my breathe. It will be big when the playoff expands and G5 gets a spot.
We are back to the "Francis Sheldon Hackney" model for Tulane athletics. In the early 1980s everyone heard the rumor about a certain Tulane fullback said to be an illiterate. Kelly overreacted post-English, to say the least.

But, we will never sink to the level of a Southern state university. Even LSU is greatly embarrassed today having to admit this morning Odell Beckham did indeed hand out "real money" after the NC game. And, an arrest warrant has now been issued for Beckham for simply battery on a police officer. And, I have to now really wonder whether Beckham was drunk and/or high after that game? He has singlehandedly rained on LSU's NC parade. :thumbdown:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:26 am
Our real problem now is P5 v. G5.
If it wasn't for deemphasis we would be P5.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:22 pm We are back to the "Francis Sheldon Hackney" model for Tulane athletics. In the early 1980s everyone heard the rumor about a certain Tulane fullback said to be an illiterate. Kelly overreacted post-English, to say the least.

But, we will never sink to the level of a Southern state university. Even LSU is greatly embarrassed today having to admit this morning Odell Beckham did indeed hand out "real money" after the NC game. And, an arrest warrant has now been issued for Beckham for simply battery on a police officer. And, I have to now really wonder whether Beckham was drunk and/or high after that game? He has singlehandedly rained on LSU's NC parade. :thumbdown:
That's OBJ being OBJ. For a 3-6 month period as an NFL player (in the off season) he acted like a normal human being. Then he signed his new contract with the Giants and went back to being the idiot that he is. That's why it was so easy for the Giants to trade him (and as a Giants fan, I'm VERY happy they did.) He's the third best, if not 4th best receiver on the Browns. And a cancer in the locker room. Talented as hell, but often injured and lives in his own world, which doesn't often coincide with the world the rest of us live in.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 pm
Wave755 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:22 pm We are back to the "Francis Sheldon Hackney" model for Tulane athletics. In the early 1980s everyone heard the rumor about a certain Tulane fullback said to be an illiterate. Kelly overreacted post-English, to say the least.

That's OBJ being OBJ. For a 3-6 month period as an NFL player (in the off season) he acted like a normal human being. Then he signed his new contract with the Giants and went back to being the idiot that he is. That's why it was so easy for the Giants to trade him (and as a Giants fan, I'm VERY happy they did.) He's the third best, if not 4th best receiver on the Browns. And a cancer in the locker room. Talented as hell, but often injured and lives in his own world, which doesn't often coincide with the world the rest of us live in.
Agreed, but I must admit Beckham slapping the cop's ass in the LSU aftergame locker-room is something to see, funny as Hell!!! Just glad none of our guys did something so stupid. :lol:
See below link:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/284 ... beckham-jr
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Almost as crazy as Antonio brown . . . Who needs real help