Jett Duffey denied admission

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:25 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:46 pm He was punished and served his punishment that’s how things work. He’s being punished for something he may or may not have done 4 years ago again by Tulane. Yet Tulane has no issue admitting a convicted murderer. Had this kid been a regular Joe and not a high profile athlete he’d be in. Had the basketball rape charge occurred after the semester started he’d also been in.
Double standards against athletes.
Several things:

1. People in every facet of society across the world have the effects of their prior decisions follow them even after they have ". . . served [their] punishment . . ."

2. From the publicly available information, his actions 100% violated Texas Tech's policy, so there is no legitimate dispute as to whether or not he violated that policy. There is a reason the decision against him was unanimous.

3. The convicted murder was admitted in a different college and by a different admissions dean, and, further, that admissions dean was quietly pushed out shortly thereafter for that mistake. Arguing that the existence of the convicted murder admittance as being a justification for admitting other unattractive students makes about as much sense as someone arguing that Tulane just have open admissions, and, ironically, the treatment of that individual in these threads supports 1 above since that individual served his punishment - even Tulane itself acknowledged as much by removing that admissions dean.

4. The kid would not have been in as a non-athlete, and in fact, the fact that he was an athlete is the only reason people are even talking about him in the first place. Tulane does not make it habit of admitting students found responsible for sexual misconduct by a university that also had other disciplinary issues.

5. Double standards for athletes? Do you know how many football and basketball players would get admitted to Tulane's undergrad based on their high school GPA and ACT/SAT and not their physical skill set? Personally, I don't know, but I'm confident that it's not many.
You’ve made my point. Different Dean of Admission and he’s accepted.
He’s the Rufus Harris of Tulane Deans.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The "Admissions Office" needs to "Admit", they have a problem...it is the first step to recovery
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:36 am You’ve made my point. Different Dean of Admission and he’s accepted.
Using Tulane's prior mistake being to justify Tulane making additional mistakes probably makes a lot more sense before it is put on paper.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:34 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:36 am You’ve made my point. Different Dean of Admission and he’s accepted.
Using Tulane's prior mistake being to justify Tulane making additional mistakes probably makes a lot more sense before it is put on paper.
I’ll always support our coach over any Dean. Sorry.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

I was at my dentist's office yesterday having a broken crown replaced. He is a "Tiger football" fanatic but believes Beckham really disgraced LSU when handing out those 100 dollar bills to players on the SuperDome field after the NC game. He was too upset to even talk about it.

I support Tulane athletics but don't believe we should "win at any price." Central Michigan is a better fit for Texas Tech's 3rd string quarterback than Tulane.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:39 am I was at my dentist's office yesterday having a broken crown replaced. He is a "Tiger football" fanatic but believes Beckham really disgraced LSU when handing out those 100 dollar bills to players on the SuperDome field after the NC game. He was too upset to even talk about it.

I support Tulane athletics but don't believe we should "win at any price." Central Michigan is a better fit for Texas Tech's 3rd string quarterback than Tulane.
OBJ a publicity whore. Has no reason as to not accepting Duffey or having anything to do with winning at any cost. Kid was told he was in and it was rescinded after the MBB rape charge came to light.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:57 am
Wave755 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:39 am I was at my dentist's office yesterday having a broken crown replaced. He is a "Tiger football" fanatic but believes Beckham really disgraced LSU when handing out those 100 dollar bills to players on the SuperDome field after the NC game. He was too upset to even talk about it.

OBJ a publicity whore. Has no reason as to not accepting Duffey or having anything to do with winning at any cost. Kid was told he was in and it was rescinded after the MBB rape charge came to light.
If he was told he was in, why didn't Fritz tweet it out?

But I agree OBJ being OBJ has nothing to do with Duffey.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

The Beckham incident shows that even LSU can have its "image" tarnished. I hope Mr. Duffey is happy at Central Michigan.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:21 am The Beckham incident shows that even LSU can have its "image" tarnished. I hope Mr. Duffey is happy at Central Michigan.
LSU is the flagship state school in Louisiana, and has MANY multiples of alumni within the state. Most care about LSU athletics a whole lot more than the average Tulane alum cares about our athletics. A very large percentage of our small alumni base, like me, lives far out of state. Our academic reputation is critical due to our ridiculously high tuition. Comparing Tulane and LSU and how far they must go to protect their reputation is ludicrous. LSU will ALWAYS have a huge fan base. Tulane will take any fan we can get. And yes, we need to protect our reputation because we also need every dollar that can be squeezed out of a MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller alumni.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 pm
Wave755 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:21 am The Beckham incident shows that even LSU can have its "image" tarnished. I hope Mr. Duffey is happy at Central Michigan.
LSU is the flagship state school in Louisiana, and has MANY multiples of alumni within the state. Most care about LSU athletics a whole lot more than the average Tulane alum cares about our athletics. A very large percentage of our small alumni base, like me, lives far out of state. Our academic reputation is critical due to our ridiculously high tuition. Comparing Tulane and LSU and how far they must go to protect their reputation is ludicrous. LSU will ALWAYS have a huge fan base. Tulane will take any fan we can get. And yes, we need to protect our reputation because we also need every dollar that can be squeezed out of a MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller alumni.
I remeber meeting with a highly successful alum...The Dugout Club was seeking doantions for a new Baseball scoreboard...He was very generous, wrote a check for the coplete project. We spoke about donors and he made the comment, Tulane has several alums who could write a million dollar check...LSU has a million fans, and each will give a dollar...the amount is the same
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 pm
All the more reason to thank Mr. Duffey for his interest in Tulane, wish him the best of luck and send him on his way to Central Michigan.
MicMan
Swell

How will TU live down not accepting Duffey, with all the D1 schools fighting over him? lol
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I’ll leave you with this recent quote from Duffey from his Instagram account, “When you think you are on the right path, God will show you a better one!"
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:17 pm I’ll leave you with this recent quote from Duffey from his Instagram account, “When you think you are on the right path, God will show you a better one!"
Let's hope so.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:17 pm I’ll leave you with this recent quote from Duffey from his Instagram account, “When you think you are on the right path, God will show you a better one!"
Hopefully God will show our Admissions Dept. a better, and more forgiving path. Jesus forgives, but Tulane's Admissions doesn't.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
wave97
Swell

How does the "Beckham incident" become an incident? He handed out his own cash to players *after* they played their last game for LSU?
LSU is going to have a compelling voice in every living room of every top prospect in the country.
Nick Saban is quoted as saying his #1 professional mistake was leaving LSU.
Wave755
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:22 pm
How does the "Beckham incident" become an incident? He handed out his own cash to players *after* they played their last game for LSU?
LSU is going to have a compelling voice in every living room of every top prospect in the country.
Nick Saban is quoted as saying his #1 professional mistake was leaving LSU.
🤔Hmm, so much for "avoiding even the appearance of impropriety."

And, D'Eric King passed on LSWho once Joe Brady hit the road to become OC for the Carolina Panthers.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Nothing is going to come of it but OBJ and those players clearly violated NCAA rules. The rules state you can't play for pay or the promise of pay. On the video he is seen handing money to both players. He pulls each one to him after giving them the money and and can clearly be heard telling each of them " I told you I was going to take care of you". Their argument that they were no longer student athletes doesn't fly.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

OBJ is a rich idiot. In 10 years he’s gonna be a bankrupt idiot.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:24 pm Nothing is going to come of it but OBJ and those players clearly violated NCAA rules. The rules state you can't play for pay or the promise of pay. On the video he is seen handing money to both players. He pulls each one to him after giving them the money and and can clearly be heard telling each of them " I told you I was going to take care of you". Their argument that they were no longer student athletes doesn't fly.
If the video and audio cleary shows him handing the money and can be heard ' I TOLD you, I WAS going to take care of you'.. under that statement, players where promised either money or gifts, prior to the game, and were still under ncaa eligibility rules... lsu is guilty of 'failure to monitor'...'sum' school was given the "Death Penalty" under that NCAA statue
Wave755
Tsunami

Getting back to Duffey, based upon his university and legal history, he is a better fit for a directional state university like Central Michigan, not a university like Tulane.

And after all, he was Texas Tech’s 3rd string quarterback?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 am Getting back to Duffey, based upon his university and legal history, he is a better fit for a directional state university like Central Michigan, not a university like Tulane.

and most probably better than Tulanes first string QB
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:13 am
winwave wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:24 pm Nothing is going to come of it but OBJ and those players clearly violated NCAA rules. The rules state you can't play for pay or the promise of pay. On the video he is seen handing money to both players. He pulls each one to him after giving them the money and and can clearly be heard telling each of them " I told you I was going to take care of you". Their argument that they were no longer student athletes doesn't fly.
If the video and audio cleary shows him handing the money and can be heard ' I TOLD you, I WAS going to take care of you'.. under that statement, players where promised either money or gifts, prior to the game, and were still under ncaa eligibility rules... lsu is guilty of 'failure to monitor'...'sum' school was given the "Death Penalty" under that NCAA statue
There's no IF.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:09 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:13 am
There's no IF.
Death to the Infindels !!!!!
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:44 am
Wave755 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 am Getting back to Duffey, based upon his university and legal history, he is a better fit for a directional state university like Central Michigan, not a university like Tulane.

and most probably better than Tulanes first string QB
And all p5s passed on him? :thumbup: