Jett Duffey denied admission

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:49 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:42 am To be fair, there was no way he was getting admitted to Tulane after being found responsible for a sexual assault by a university in the post Kenneth Starr Baylor scandal world of athletics.

Even football factories are ore cautious than they used to be due to that scandal.
This case was forwarded by the DA to the Grand Jury, investigated and could not find any evidence to go to trial
That doesn't impact the decision making process. The fact that he was found responsible by a university tribunal was more than enough for Tulane to not grant him admission. If this was the pre-Baylor era, then maybe, but, now, no.

Yes, some P5s may add him, however, they are in a much better position than Tulane to survive a scandal if he sexually assaults someone on their campuses.

HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 am
nawlinspete wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:52 am The worst part of this is, we'll never know the truth. Fritz and Dannen wont ever be able to speak about it because he's not an enrolled student. And if he enrolls elsewhere, they still can't talk about it.
The truth is that the truth is highly likely much worse than we know . A Lubbock Tx grand jury not charging a Mr Texas High School Player Of The Year football star is hardly proof of innocence .
Obviously, ya ain't never been to Lubbock.... they will arrest U for jaywalking
… and then give you the chair.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:49 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:42 am To be fair, there was no way he was getting admitted to Tulane after being found responsible for a sexual assault by a university in the post Kenneth Starr Baylor scandal world of athletics.

Even football factories are ore cautious than they used to be due to that scandal.
This case was forwarded by the DA to the Grand Jury, investigated and could not find any evidence to go to trial
That doesn't impact the decision making process. The fact that he was found responsible by a university tribunal was more than enough for Tulane to not grant him admission. If this was the pre-Baylor era, then maybe, but, now, no.

Yes, some P5s may add him, however, they are in a much better position than Tulane to survive a scandal if he sexually assaults someone on their campuses.
A "university tribunal"? What a joke that must be. God help us from university tribunals, especially these days.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:51 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 am
nawlinspete wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:52 am The worst part of this is, we'll never know the truth. Fritz and Dannen wont ever be able to speak about it because he's not an enrolled student. And if he enrolls elsewhere, they still can't talk about it.
The truth is that the truth is highly likely much worse than we know . A Lubbock Tx grand jury not charging a Mr Texas High School Player Of The Year football star is hardly proof of innocence .
Obviously, ya ain't never been to Lubbock.... they will arrest U for jaywalking
… and then give you the chair.
or Hang U from the nearest Wind Turbine in order to save Energy!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

Imagine this fictional scenario:
Coach Fritz sees that Duffey has entered the transfer portal. He phones Duffey and asks if he might be interested in Tulane. When Duffey replies positively, he is invited for a Tulane visit. Coach Fritz shows him about campus, discusses the program and its goals, gauges his interest and finally introduces him to the folks in Admission. There, verbal inquires are made about Duffey's graduation date and degree as well as his GPA. Duffey assures that he is in good academic standing and everything seems promising. Admissions directs him to send his transcript for a formal application. They encourage him to do this quickly because classes begin on Monday, Jan 13th. Fritz completes the grand tour and thanks Duffey who gets his picture taken in a Wave uniform (which he subsequently tweets with a #RollWave).

Rumors spread quickly and nola.com posts a story that an 'unnamed source' has confirmed that Duffey is transferring to Tulane. Word spreads throughout the NCAA community, but NEVER, EVER does Tulane formally announce the transfer which they consider to be pending. Moreover, there is no agreement prior to reviewing his transcript. Duffey's grades arrive. They are disappointing. Perhaps he even has incompletes that will prevent his formal graduation with an undergrad degree. His grades along with other Tech academic and behavioral concerns cause Admission to decide against his enrollment. Knowing that this is a 'hot potato' issue, President Fitts is advised along with Troy Dannen and Coach Fritz. Everyone is disappointed (some more than others) but the decision is finalized. NEVER, EVER, has Tulane made a formal announcement of the Duffey application or the subsequent refusal. Being aware that confidentiality is at a premium and realizing that nothing is over until it's over, Coach Fritz has made no mention of a potential transfer. All comments have been made via social media, rumors, and 'unnamed' sources.

Finally, Duffey is contacted and is told that his admission is denied and that a transfer cannot be approved. Duffey tweets that he is 'reconsidering' his options and thanks Tulane for their interest.
So I ask those of you who have threatened to withhold your $25 annual donation while demanding that Troy Dannen and President Fitts be dismissed, is the scenario above not a plausible one? If so, how much blame should be placed with Tulane? With President Fitts? Should Mr. Duffey have realized there could be potential concerns and withheld any personal announcements until the transfer was approved?
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:56 am Imagine this fictional scenario:
Coach Fritz sees that Duffey has entered the transfer portal. He phones Duffey and asks if he might be interested in Tulane. When Duffey replies positively, he is invited for a Tulane visit. Coach Fritz shows him about campus, discusses the program and its goals, gauges his interest and finally introduces him to the folks in Admission. There, verbal inquires are made about Duffey's graduation date and degree as well as his GPA. Duffey assures that he is in good academic standing and everything seems promising. Admissions directs him to send his transcript for a formal application. They encourage him to do this quickly because classes begin on Monday, Jan 13th. Fritz completes the grand tour and thanks Duffey who gets his picture taken in a Wave uniform (which he subsequently tweets with a #RollWave).

Rumors spread quickly and nola.com posts a story that an 'unnamed source' has confirmed that Duffey is transferring to Tulane. Word spreads throughout the NCAA community, but NEVER, EVER does Tulane formally announce the transfer which they consider to be pending. Moreover, there is no agreement prior to reviewing his transcript. Duffey's grades arrive. They are disappointing. Perhaps he even has incompletes that will prevent his formal graduation with an undergrad degree. His grades along with other Tech academic and behavioral concerns cause Admission to decide against his enrollment. Knowing that this is a 'hot potato' issue, President Fitts is advised along with Troy Dannen and Coach Fritz. Everyone is disappointed (some more than others) but the decision is finalized. NEVER, EVER, has Tulane made a formal announcement of the Duffey application or the subsequent refusal. Being aware that confidentiality is at a premium and realizing that nothing is over until it's over, Coach Fritz has made no mention of a potential transfer. All comments have been made via social media, rumors, and 'unnamed' sources.

Finally, Duffey is contacted and is told that his admission is denied and that a transfer cannot be approved. Duffey tweets that he is 'reconsidering' his options and thanks Tulane for their interest.
So I ask those of you who have threatened to withhold your $25 annual donation while demanding that Troy Dannen and President Fitts be dismissed, is the scenario above not a plausible one? If so, how much blame should be placed with Tulane? With President Fitts? Should Mr. Duffey have realized there could be potential concerns and withheld any personal announcements until the transfer was approved?
we'll know the simple answer to that if he enrolls somewhere else for the spring. If he's not a graduate, he wouldn't be eligible for the fall semester, as he'd just be a transfer student, not a GRADUATE TRANSFER.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

This is from an article by Scott Bell of the Dallas Morning News dated March 25, 2018:

"After redshirting his first season in Lubbock, Duffey was suspended by Texas Tech for the spring and summer of 2017 after a Title IX hearing panel sided with a woman who alleged that Duffey had sex with when she was too incapacitated to consent. A grand jury ultimately decided there was not enough cause to criminally prosecute the case."

This incident happened in 2016, over three years ago. And in the era of #metoo, Title IX hearing panel chose to just believe the woman, even though a grand jury found no evidence to prosecute. So, even though three years have passed and he was suspended for two semesters at Tech, Tulane decided to go the guilty until proven innocent route, and punish this young man a second time.

Truth is, with the people we have in administration and admissions, we don't DESERVE to have good things happen to us.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

my idea for SHARK TANK....This will be a must have for all Frats and Male students across the USA....and can be sold at all bars, tap rooms, Disco's and Drive In's... I will need legal advice on the wording .but the ruff draft is
Agreement of Consential Sex
The parties whose signatures appear below, consent to have a mutually beneficial sexual realtionship on the date or dates listed. Both parties can agree to a long term relationship by checking the 'indefinite date" box, but the date of the initial sexual encounter must be listed.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Thing that pisses me off is the double standard here. Tulane admits a convicted murderer yet fails to admit someone who was alleged to done something years back. He served a university sentence. The convicted murderer served a prison sentence yet he’s treated differently. Just incredible. I promise you with the Bul rape charges they decided last minute against admitting this kid. School starts Monday so Fritz has no QB and this kid has no school now. It will effect other transfers considering Tulane. This just makes our coaches jobs much more difficult. Have spoken to many Tulane coaches in all sports over the years admissions has always been the achilles’ heel for them at Tulane. There’s no other explanation. I’m sure the kid was told by athletics that everything was good. This is only my opinion I have no first hand knowledge at this time. I’m a Tulane grad and I will continue to support athletics and never give one cent to academics.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
squilz
Low Tide

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:49 am
anEngineer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm If the kid has potential to miss games due to academic or violence issues, what good is it having him? You can never be 100% sure he will be available. I am disappointed, but I just don't have a problem with this.
He'll do just fine at Bama , LSU , Miami , Mississippi ; with Leach , at Marshall , FSU , UCF , Memphis .

Our sons and daughters are better off with him not on our campus .
Agreed on all fronts. Saw on the other forum the suggestion that it may really have been an academic issue. If he was taking classes thru winter semester, maybe we were waiting for all of his grade to come back and he didn't pass a class. Disregarding the other issues, if he couldn't cut it at Texas Tech, what makes you think he can handle Tulane classes? And, are we really gonna keep hedging our bets on grad-transfers from P5 schools? If this kid was our only hope at 8 wins then the team has bigger problems at hand. It was a bad look for anyone to announce anything before being absolutely certain, to be sure.

I'm not saying we should expect our FB players to be 4.0gpa, 30+ ACT high school students, but ffs, I'd rather field a losing team than be LSU if that means they can actually read a dr. seuss book from cover to cover. There has to be *SOME* standard beyond the football factories of the world.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

squilz wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:57 pm
anEngineer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm If the kid has potential to miss games due to academic or violence issues, what good is it having him? You can never be 100% sure he will be available. I am disappointed, but I just don't have a problem with this.
He'll do just fine at Bama , LSU , Miami , Mississippi ; with Leach , at Marshall , FSU , UCF , Memphis .

Agreed on all fronts. Saw on the other forum the suggestion that it may really have been an academic issue. If he was taking classes thru winter semester, maybe we were waiting for all of his grade to come back and he didn't pass a class. Disregarding the other issues, if he couldn't cut it at Texas Tech, what makes you think he can handle Tulane classes? And, are we really gonna keep hedging our bets on grad-transfers from P5 schools? If this kid was our only hope at 8 wins then the team has bigger problems at hand. It was a bad look for anyone to announce anything before being absolutely certain, to be sure.

I'm not saying we should expect our FB players to be 4.0gpa, 30+ ACT high school students, but ffs, I'd rather field a losing team than be LSU if that means they can actually read a dr. seuss book from cover to cover. There has to be *SOME* standard beyond the football factories of the world.
Look at what Ron Hunter has done in a half of season already with transfers. Look at LSU. They are killing it with their Heisman transfer QB. Look at what Justin MC did for us. We need transfers. We have people that are tired of losing around here. If you’re not going to try to win get out of D1. Tulane has its own admission rules whereas 99.9% of all other schools go by NCAA standards.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:51 am
And why is that, Pete? He wasn't even charged by a grand jury. I guess our sons and daughters were safer when we had the CONVICTED murderer roaming campus?
ain't that no lie....Sons and Daughters are better off with a convicted murderer roaming the campus,
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:48 pm my idea for SHARK TANK....This will be a must have for all Frats and Male students across the USA....and can be sold at all bars, tap rooms, Disco's and Drive In's... I will need legal advice on the wording .but the ruff draft is
The parties whose signatures appear below, consent to have a mutually beneficial sexual realtionship on the date or dates listed. Both parties can agree to a long term relationship by checking the 'indefinite date" box, but the date of the initial sexual encounter must be listed.
Consent can be revoked at any time, so that document wouldn’t be worth much.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Look at what Ron Hunter has done in a half of season already with transfers. Look at LSU. They are killing it with their Heisman transfer QB. Look at what Justin MC did for us. We need transfers. We have people that are tired of losing around here. If you’re not going to try to win get out of D1. Tulane has its own admission rules whereas 99.9% of all other schools go by NCAA standards.
This isn't about NCAA standards. This is about taking other matters into account other than academic eligibility.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:23 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:48 pm my idea for SHARK TANK....This will be a must have for all Frats and Male students across the USA....and can be sold at all bars, tap rooms, Disco's and Drive In's... I will need legal advice on the wording .but the ruff draft is
Consent can be revoked at any time, so that document wouldn’t be worth much.
I am sure Y may be correct...but, I may have to call Thomas J Henry with the idea !!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I agree that there were a whole lot of other factors that lead to him not coming to Tulane. It may or may not have involved academics. I'm sure he wouldn't have said to social media "I didn't get into Tulane because of the Code of Conduct violation at Texas Tech."

Golfnut, the document would be null and void if either party was drunk at the time.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:01 pm

This isn't about NCAA standards. This is about taking other matters into account other than academic eligibility.
Baseball pitcher was. He was accepted at Ok State with no problem. Wasn’t qualified at Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:42 pm I agree that there were a whole lot of other factors that lead to him not coming to Tulane. It may or may not have involved academics. I'm sure he wouldn't have said to social media "I didn't get into Tulane because of the Code of Conduct violation at Texas Tech."

Golfnut, the document would be null and void if either party was drunk at the time.
really ?...if U are drunk, and kill someone, U are not responsible ?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We have a few lawyers among the posters, and I come from a family line of lawyers but am NOT an attorney. The lawyers that post here can please verify, but as I understand it you cannot enter into a legal agreement when intoxicated. Killing someone is a whole lot different than signing a contract.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

Dave Chappelle tha god with The Love Contract back in 2004!

http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/kw3fj ... per/jwmvxd
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:02 pm
Dave Chappelle tha god with The Love Contract back in 2004!

http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/kw3fj ... per/jwmvxd
OK...I will add to the document, a disclaimer that all parties, whose signatures appears below, in case it is a 3-way, have passed the breathalizer exam prior to signing this document....
dpm wave
Swell

If anyone is wondering if Jett graduated or not........

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6EOkHPA94a ... jq10ujaf16

Slide over to the 3rd picture.
Last edited by dpm wave on Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:17 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:01 pm

Baseball pitcher was. He was accepted at Ok State with no problem. Wasn’t qualified at Tulane.
Right. But I was speaking of this incident.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

As another hypothetical, what if he was completely innocent of the assault and now essentially is being banished for essentially punching a wall. Put yourself in his shoes with that hypothetical. That would put me on suicide watch.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:01 pm As another hypothetical, what if he was completely innocent of the assault and now essentially is being banished for essentially punching a wall. Put yourself in his shoes with that hypothetical. That would put me on suicide watch.
He will probably end up somewhere, but the finding will have an impact regardless.