Jett Duffey denied admission

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:26 pm Misdemeanor criminal mischief. Am I reading this right? Is that all he did? Every Tulane football player I ever saw out when I was in school from 1971-1974 was involved in criminal mischief. Fights Or at least pushing just about every night outside bars.
If that’s the reason I wonder if non concerned coaches failed to divulge that to the admissions people and it came out late, maybe due to rape charge against BBall player.
I saw a video of the incident earlier on Twitter. Duffey doesn't come into the video until 7 minutes in, and asks why his friend is being arrested. He then walks away and punches a wall. That's what he was charged for..

The other incident involved sexual misconduct. A Title IX "panel" at Texas Tech that reviewed the incident found him "responsible", but a grand jury found no evidence to actually charge him with any crime. Sorry if I'm jaded, but I personally would take with a grain of salt anything coming out of a University "Title IX panel".

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Duffey was arrested, when he hit a wall. One of his friends, who he and about 4 others had gone out with was being arrested ....Duffey asked the Cop why his friend was being arrested...The Cop gave him an answer, Duffey turned and was walking away, he muttered a curse word and hit a wall with his fist....the Cop then arrested Duffey for Micheavous Behavior...and for all of you older forum members...those who tried to cop a feel at the Do or Westgate Drive In...the Title IX committe and the JPSO are looking for your ass...what a bunch of pious POS' work at Gibson Hall
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

If the kid has potential to miss games due to academic or violence issues, what good is it having him? You can never be 100% sure he will be available. I am disappointed, but I just don't have a problem with this.
RobertM320
Green Wave

A football player accused of misconduct going before a Title IX panel is like going to divorce court and finding out the judge is an ex-girlfriend that you dropped in HS.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think on the heels of the (former) basketball player getting charged with rape, this was simply trying to avoid further black eyes on the University. The timing wasn't right, and it's too bad for Duffey and the football program.

We will be ok. We have further opportunities to get a mature QB, and have Pratt coming in for the spring. Wouldn't it be great to have him win the job and have him for 3 or 4 years before he becomes a first round draft pick? I'm not saying that's going to happen, but you never know!

And Ibieta has had the attention of some locals for a long time. Losing Duffey stinks, but the sun will rise in the East tomorrow morning.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm If the kid has potential to miss games due to academic or violence issues, what good is it having him? You can never be 100% sure he will be available. I am disappointed, but I just don't have a problem with this.
violence issues, ?!?!?...How did this POS get admitted to Tulane...wait, I know the answer...he was not an athlete.....
https://www.insideedition.com/headlines ... law-school
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yep Golfnut. Here’s another one:
He’d be ok if it was murder. 🤦‍♂️
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/02/busi ... awyer.html
When Mr. Reilly got to Tulane Law School in 2011, he initially fell in with a circle of students interested in civil rights and unfazed by his past. “He straight-up told me he had been convicted of murder,” one classmate, Allyson Page, recalled. “I was like, ‘O.K., that’s cool.’ I wasn’t expecting that, but I didn’t care that much.”
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:02 pm I think on the heels of the (former) basketball player getting charged with rape, this was simply trying to avoid further black eyes on the University. The timing wasn't right, and it's too bad for Duffey and the football program.

We will be ok. We have further opportunities to get a mature QB, and have Pratt coming in for the spring. Wouldn't it be great to have him win the job and have him for 3 or 4 years before he becomes a first round draft pick? I'm not saying that's going to happen, but you never know!

And Ibieta has had the attention of some locals for a long time. Losing Duffey stinks, but the sun will rise in the East tomorrow morning.
These are my exact feelings as well.
1989alum
Low Tide

How did it get this far given all the issues? Lack of thorough due diligence?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm If the kid has potential to miss games due to academic or violence issues, what good is it having him? You can never be 100% sure he will be available. I am disappointed, but I just don't have a problem with this.
If there were issues, why did he not miss any games at Tech at the end of their year?
Bigschtick
Riptide

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:10 pm Did Fritz not contact Tulane ahead of time with respect to this guy? If this was a borderline case, then why were people led along?

Thats what I was thinking! Did Fritz check with the admin before putting the kid and us thru this misery? Did he ask at the outset can we get this kid in? This is going to hurt the program !
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:43 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:02 pm I think on the heels of the (former) basketball player getting charged with rape, this was simply trying to avoid further black eyes on the University. The timing wasn't right, and it's too bad for Duffey and the football program.

These are my exact feelings as well.
got it...the old "Guilty by Accusation' method of justice
GreenLantern
Riptide

There is an awful lot of speculation on the two forums about what happened and who should bear responsibility for this disappointing and obviously mismanaged situation. The important word in that sentence is speculation. No one here knows all the facts concerning this case and we probably never will . (Nor should we.) Most of us would probably have an entirely different view of the matter if we did.

Whenever there is disappointment, there is a strong tendency to place blame. The fault should fall with Fritz. Or Fitts. Or Admission. However, might Jeff Duffey have been premature in announcing his enrollment? Were additional facts discovered by the admissions staff that were withheld from Coach Fritz? Did Duffey deliberately misrepresent his academic eligibility (or legal challenges)? All of those things are possible and any of them could color our interpretation in a different manner.

In any case, the sky is not falling. We are in no worse condition than we were last week. Fritz will not leave because of this. Nor will Hall. The admissions personnel will not be terminated. Things happen. Chill out, folks.
Show Me
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 am There is an awful lot of speculation on the two forums about what happened and who should bear responsibility for this disappointing and obviously mismanaged situation. The important word in that sentence is speculation. No one here knows all the facts concerning this case and we probably never will . (Nor should we.) Most of us would probably have an entirely different view of the matter if we did.

Whenever there is disappointment, there is a strong tendency to place blame. The fault should fall with Fritz. Or Fitts. Or Admission. However, might Jeff Duffey have been premature in announcing his enrollment? Were additional facts discovered by the admissions staff that were withheld from Coach Fritz? Did Duffey deliberately misrepresent his academic eligibility (or legal challenges)? All of those things are possible and any of them could color our interpretation in a different manner.

In any case, the sky is not falling. We are in no worse condition than we were last week. Fritz will not leave because of this. Nor will Hall. The admissions personnel will not be terminated. Things happen. Chill out, folks.
Give me a break.
Do you really believe what you just posted? Do you really believe this would happen at any other AAC school? Do you really believe this would happen at LSU?
Of course not. This stuff only happens at Tulane. This is why coaches pull their hair out and want to leave the first opportunity they get. They never ever play on an equal stage as their conference mates.
Not at Tulane. This is twice President Fitts failed to support athletics. Our star pitcher two way player recruit and now our star QB recruit. I just received a FB renewal in the mail already. I’m now going to wait until late August to decide.
torbida
Surge

Sometimes I wonder why Ikeep supporting Tulane athletics (wave club,tickets) thenI realize who else would I be a fan of and this is what being a cubs fan is like.....lol
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 am
I wouldn't be too sure about this. It may be too late for him to move this season, but if offers start appearing next season, you can best believe this incident will be on his mind and could very well tip the scales against us. Just a bad look all around, Will surely hurt hiring a new coach as well.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

To be fair, there was no way he was getting admitted to Tulane after being found responsible for a sexual assault by a university in the post Kenneth Starr Baylor scandal world of athletics.

Even football factories are ore cautious than they used to be due to that scandal.
Bigschtick
Riptide

I am with ShowMe. We have a long history of Tulane screwing up. This is just another example.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:42 am To be fair, there was no way he was getting admitted to Tulane after being found responsible for a sexual assault by a university in the post Kenneth Starr Baylor scandal world of athletics.

Even football factories are ore cautious than they used to be due to that scandal.
This case was forwarded by the DA to the Grand Jury, investigated and could not find any evidence to go to trial
nawlinspete
Riptide

He'll do just fine at Bama , LSU , Miami , Mississippi ; with Leach , at Marshall , FSU , UCF , Memphis .

Our sons and daughters are better off with him not on our campus .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:49 am
Our sons and daughters are better off with him not on our campus .
And why is that, Pete? He wasn't even charged by a grand jury. I guess our sons and daughters were safer when we had the CONVICTED murderer roaming campus?
RobertM320
Green Wave

The worst part of this is, we'll never know the truth. Fritz and Dannen wont ever be able to speak about it because he's not an enrolled student. And if he enrolls elsewhere, they still can't talk about it.
nawlinspete
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:52 am The worst part of this is, we'll never know the truth. Fritz and Dannen wont ever be able to speak about it because he's not an enrolled student. And if he enrolls elsewhere, they still can't talk about it.
The truth is that the truth is highly likely much worse than we know . A Lubbock Tx grand jury not charging a Mr Texas High School Player Of The Year football star is hardly proof of innocence .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

For once I agree with Pete. Not Guilty does not mean innocent. They probably didn't have enough evidence to charge him. And on the heels of the Bul Ajang arrest, they didn't want another black eye. As I posted above, the sun came up in the East this morning, it's not the big deal some are making it out to be. At best he was 1 and done with Tulane.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:52 am The worst part of this is, we'll never know the truth. Fritz and Dannen wont ever be able to speak about it because he's not an enrolled student. And if he enrolls elsewhere, they still can't talk about it.
The truth is that the truth is highly likely much worse than we know . A Lubbock Tx grand jury not charging a Mr Texas High School Player Of The Year football star is hardly proof of innocence .
Obviously, ya ain't never been to Lubbock.... they will arrest U for jaywalking