Jett Duffey denied admission

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

So 1 in 4 Tulane female students saying they have been sexually assaulted doesn't affect the schools reputation?

As for Duffey he's going to a team that has a better coach for his needs. CMU is paying him the same as Fritz- $1.6 million.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:58 pm So 1 in 4 Tulane female students saying they have been sexually assaulted doesn't affect the schools reputation?

As for Duffey he's going to a team that has a better coach for his needs. CMU is paying him the same as Fritz- $1.6 million.
Did someone say it didn’t?

A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No shit. Happens here all the time. LOL.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The Jett has landed..................
https://apple.news/ABaYg430CRnSyZiCLEf_4-A
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:15 am The Jett has landed..................
https://apple.news/ABaYg430CRnSyZiCLEf_4-A
That removes any doubt that Tulane slammed the door on Duffey—as opposed to following Hall, or considering other P5 schools. And we know it wasn’t Fritz that slammed the door.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:58 pm So 1 in 4 Tulane female students saying they have been sexually assaulted doesn't affect the schools reputation?

I have huge doubts about most surveys—especially those related to the MeToo hysteria. How was sexual assault defined in the the Tulane survey. If the real rate of assault at Tulane is 25%, they must include looking cross-eyed at them as a form of sexual assault.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Following in the footsteps of Antonio Brown who also went to Central Michigan ☹️🤔
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

🤔So, his choices were Tulane, if he could meet our admission standards for athletes, or Western Michigan? Very suspicious? :?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:31 pm 🤔So, his choices were Tulane, if he could meet our admission standards for athletes, or Western Michigan? Very suspicious? :?
Central Michigan, but yes and that fact alone made the entire situation more clear since there were plenty of FBS programs that could have used someone with his physical talent for 2020 and they virtually all passed.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I’m sure he was also looking for the right fit. Somewhere that he’ll start and flourish. Once Tulane locked him down and then rejected him I’m sure others had already moved on. He would have helped us. Not sure about P5’s. He’s not King who’s still available and all the P5’s have as their first choice.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:05 pm I’m sure he was also looking for the right fit. Somewhere that he’ll start and flourish. Once Tulane locked him down and then rejected him I’m sure others had already moved on. He would have helped us. Not sure about P5’s. He’s not King who’s still available and all the P5’s have as their first choice.
Exactly. We dumped him late. He's now with a better coach for his purposes despite the name of the school. No matter what their coach is happy and ours is pissed.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think most passed on him . . .
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:40 pm I think most passed on him . . .
And so, he will be playing in the MAC - wah, wah, wah! :-D.

Now, let’s move on and find a player without a Title ix proceeding adverse ruling.
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show Me
Tsunami

Was trolling the other board and saw this response from insider Donny Z:
Even he is furious
“Donny Z” wrote:You guys and gals have not been around Coach Fritz very long if you don't think he 1) knew of any alleged incident from the beginning, 2) investigated it fully/did background checks, 3) believed in the quality of the young man and that he would be a fine representative of the university and 4) went to bat for him with admissions.

I guarantee you Coach Fritz knows more about any allegations, what did or didn't happen and the character of this young man than anyone else on Tulane's campus. And way more than the folks who took to twitter, message boards, calls/emails to influence the denial of his admission. Coach Fritz has earned more than the benefit of the doubt.

Just go on twitter and find the people who have pronounced him guilty and cheering his denial. People like who sent this DM. ... 54976?s=20. Guilty until proven innocent with that crowd.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

But he was found guilty. And we had a study come out about sexual assault that made the school extremely concerned and sensitive to the matter (Rightfully so). Then a basketball player was accused of rape two days before duffy officially enrolled. Then every P5 and big G5 school passed because we had given him a Scarlett letter and clearly those schools agreed he wasn’t worth the headache based on the evidence. It’s over
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:15 pm But he was found guilty. And we had a study come out about sexual assault that made the school extremely concerned and sensitive to the matter (Rightfully so). Then a basketball player was accused of rape two days before duffy officially enrolled. Then every P5 and big G5 school passed because we had given him a Scarlett letter and clearly those schools agreed he wasn’t worth the headache based on the evidence. It’s over
Jett, was found "guilty' on what charge ?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

He was found guilty by the students on whatever "tribunal counsel" they have. That's why he was suspended a year. The Police and DA felt they had enough to take it to the Grand Jury. The Grand Jury said they didn't have enough evidence to indict. These are all known facts and have been discussed in this thread before.

To paraphrase a fellow poster: Can we beat this dead horse any more?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:30 pm He was found guilty by the students on whatever "tribunal counsel" they have. That's why he was suspended a year. The Police and DA felt they had enough to take it to the Grand Jury. The Grand Jury said they didn't have enough evidence to indict. These are all known facts and have been discussed in this thread before.

A Title IX panel found him resposible, which is not the same as being found "Guilty"...the Panel will always rule on the side of "caution" and those with "#" me to movements"...the Police and DA forwarded what evidence there was to the Grand Jury for review. The review of evidnece was completed, no charges were filed... If I did not know better I would have thought Joey Alleva was chaiman of the Title IX review panel
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:11 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:30 pm He was found guilty by the students on whatever "tribunal counsel" they have. That's why he was suspended a year. The Police and DA felt they had enough to take it to the Grand Jury. The Grand Jury said they didn't have enough evidence to indict. These are all known facts and have been discussed in this thread before.

A Title IX panel found him resposible, which is not the same as being found "Guilty"...the Panel will always rule on the side of "caution" and those with "#" me to movements"...the Police and DA forwarded what evidence there was to the Grand Jury for review. The review of evidnece was completed, no charges were filed... If I did not know better I would have thought Joey Alleva was chaiman of the Title IX review panel
In a strict sense, Duffey's situation has nothing to do with the law and what the law does and does not say about sexual assault has no bearing on why he was suspended or why he was passed over by all worthwhile FBS programs.

Texas Tech, like Tulane and any other university, has a handbook which contains expectations for behavior for students at the school, and, if a student does not meet those expectations, they can be brought before a panel and disciplined in accordance with the handbook. Whether or not the actions of a student are explicitly legal or illegal has no bearing on the panel since the panel is there to (1) determine whether the student did not meet the expectations, and, (2) if the student did not meet those expectations, discipline the student (depending on the school, this discipline may be up to the university administration separately).

Duffey's actions in regard to the sexual misconduct did not meet the expectations for students as set in the handbook at Texas Tech, and he was suspended for that. Further, if the same set of circumstances had occurred at Tulane, he would have violated Tulane's handbook and thus he would have been disciplined there as well.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I am just tryin' to get us to 100 pages here.....
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:19 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:11 pm

In a strict sense, Duffey's situation has nothing to do with the law and what the law does and does not say about sexual assault has no bearing on why he was suspended or why he was passed over by all worthwhile FBS programs.

Texas Tech, like Tulane and any other university, has a handbook which contains expectations for behavior for students at the school, and, if a student does not meet those expectations, they can be brought before a panel and disciplined in accordance with the handbook. Whether or not the actions of a student are explicitly legal or illegal has no bearing on the panel since the panel is there to (1) determine whether the student did not meet the expectations, and, (2) if the student did not meet those expectations, discipline the student (depending on the school, this discipline may be up to the university administration separately).

Duffey's actions in regard to the sexual misconduct did not meet the expectations for students as set in the handbook at Texas Tech, and he was suspended for that. Further, if the same set of circumstances had occurred at Tulane, he would have violated Tulane's handbook and thus he would have been disciplined there as well.
He was punished and served his punishment that’s how things work. He’s being punished for something he may or may not have done 4 years ago again by Tulane. Yet Tulane has no issue admitting a convicted murderer. Had this kid been a regular Joe and not a high profile athlete he’d be in. Had the basketball rape charge occurred after the semester started he’d also been in.
Double standards against athletes.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Amazing how the board shows its ass again and again.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The convicted murderer was in a different school (school of law) with a different admissions dean and was 10 + years ago . . . hell maybe the blowback from that even lowered Tulane risk appetite this time around. Additionally, the semantics of guilty vs found “responsible” of sexual assault by a panel and suspended for a year isn’t helping anyone’s case . . . especially from a school that is hyper sensitive about sexual assault. The admissions process isn’t a court of law or a debate. They can turn you down for many reasons, fair or not. As CT said, at this point we are just rehashing the same information and beating it to death.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:46 pm He was punished and served his punishment that’s how things work. He’s being punished for something he may or may not have done 4 years ago again by Tulane. Yet Tulane has no issue admitting a convicted murderer. Had this kid been a regular Joe and not a high profile athlete he’d be in. Had the basketball rape charge occurred after the semester started he’d also been in.
Double standards against athletes.
Several things:

1. People in every facet of society across the world have the effects of their prior decisions follow them even after they have ". . . served [their] punishment . . ."

2. From the publicly available information, his actions 100% violated Texas Tech's policy, so there is no legitimate dispute as to whether or not he violated that policy. There is a reason the decision against him was unanimous.

3. The convicted murder was admitted in a different college and by a different admissions dean, and, further, that admissions dean was quietly pushed out shortly thereafter for that mistake. Arguing that the existence of the convicted murder admittance as being a justification for admitting other unattractive students makes about as much sense as someone arguing that Tulane just have open admissions, and, ironically, the treatment of that individual in these threads supports 1 above since that individual served his punishment - even Tulane itself acknowledged as much by removing that admissions dean.

4. The kid would not have been in as a non-athlete, and in fact, the fact that he was an athlete is the only reason people are even talking about him in the first place. Tulane does not make it habit of admitting students found responsible for sexual misconduct by a university that also had other disciplinary issues.

5. Double standards for athletes? Do you know how many football and basketball players would get admitted to Tulane's undergrad based on their high school GPA and ACT/SAT and not their physical skill set? Personally, I don't know, but I'm confident that it's not many.