Jett Duffey denied admission

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Looked at the transfer portal and it’s pretty easy to sort for immediate eligibility and even Dual threat Qb’s.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Footb ... ferPortal/

At first blush the names that fit that criteria are:

Jett Duffey (Texas Texh)- from Texas. Left Texas tech because didn’t Want a QB competition and he was passed on the depth chart. Mackel even tweeted he would love to see him at Tulane.

Jaimie Newman (Wake Forest)- no shot at him, he’ll have big time options.

Anthony Brown- (Boston College) from New Jersey, but this would be a good option. Clearly a smart kid. Had his season cut short by an injury and His coach (adazio) was fired. He seems to stay calm and has nice touch on the ball. More info:
“He finished 81-of-137 passing for 1,250 yards and nine touchdowns against two interceptions while rushing for 126 yards and two scores (before being injured this year).

Brown’s best season came as a sophomore in 2018. He was 158-of-285 passing for 2,121 yards and 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He took over as Boston College’s starter as a freshman in 2017.“

Lucas Johnson (Georgia Tech)- has had many injury problems, high quality character leader type of guy. From California so not sure he would want to stay in the South. Not sure he’s an upgrade over Howard.

That’s it for now. Things will change as there still are some coaching changes happening, and who knows what happens after spring practice and kids get jumped on the depth chart.
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I watched Jett Duffey many times...his passing improved tremendously in 2019....more "mobile" and seems to be faster than McMillian..... maybe an option simply becasue of his playing experience... ...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Duffey would be a good get.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

So, if we got a Grad Transfer, we'd have at least 4 QB's fighting for the job. Howard, Pratt, Ibieta and the GT. That would be a good problem to have, but we'd also possibly lose one if he didn't win the job.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Ibieta I’m sure will red shirt no matter what. Pratt would be slightly disappointed depending on where he is on the depth chart but could also red shirt. Both freshman would feel good as Howard and this hypothetical GT would both be gone next year. Whoever lost Howard/GT may leave after the spring or stay and be a back up. These are problems good football schools have.
Ruski
Swell

Sell the farm and go get Justin Rogers out of Shreveport, leaving TCU and some people predicting Purdue. Dude was a legit high 4, almost 5 star.

It's time Fritz went and landed a kid like this. Would be program changing, at the very least from a pr/mentality point of view.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ask and ye shall receive...

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:33 pm Ask and ye shall receive...

This would be HUGE!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wow !!!!!! Holy S***t!
GreenLantern
Riptide

Hope the Duffey rumor is true. My brother in law played QB for Texas Tech in the 80s and has kept in contact with the program. Left a voicemail for him asking if he knows of this. Fingers crossed. This would put us on the map.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:40 pm
T
Wow !!!!!! Holy S***t!

Well said! My sentiments entirely !
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
oliveandblue
Surge

Tulane would go 7-6 with a freshman next year. This tells me Fritz wants more - and NOW.

Likely that he's pushing for 10 wins and a last ditch run at a P5 job next December.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Reading some of the TxTech blogs and boards, they make Duffey sound like Justin McK. Very up and down, but when he's on he's on. Sure put up some good numbers up in 8 games as a starter to end the season, and was higher rated coming out of HS. He was Mr. Texas Football! I wonder if it's too late to enroll for the spring semester?

I don't think this is any indication of Fritz's desire to get a higher level job. He just wants to win, and then let the cards fall as they may. This (or any single recruit/transfer) is not going to guarantee that we win 8+ games next year.

Duffey has certainly played against great competition. This is a very exciting development, if it happens. And I think he (Duffey) gets the all important endorsement from golfnut!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:45 pm Reading some of the TxTech blogs and boards, they make Duffey sound like Justin McK. Very up and down, but when he's on he's on. Sure put up some good numbers up in 8 games as a starter to end the season, and was higher rated coming out of HS. He was Mr. Texas Football! I wonder if it's too late to enroll for the spring semester?

He's certainly played against great competition. This is a very exciting development, if it happens. And I think he gets the all important endorsement from golfnut!
His passing accuracy and "touch" improved greatly in 2019...the Tech O line was porous at times, they had developed the 'OLE' block, which forced him to run...The Tech WR's to me had a down year, they did not seperate very well from DB's..... not sure I am giving him an endorsement, but to me, I look at Jett and I see a more nibble McMillian...with just a tad better "touch' on shorter passes
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320
Green Wave

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave
Tsunami

I’m going to hope that these kind of developments get us to the 10-win level, and then an invite to the struggling Big 12 or ACC conferences. They both need some academic and athletic talent infusion. In either conference, we’d reach the upper half of the talent level within 2 or 3 years of getting into the conference. No need for Fritz to go anywhere. Hopefully Dannen is doing the heavy lifting behind the scenes.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Would Duffy me a one-year wonder for Tulane? Or does he have two left?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He has one year left.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:53 pm I’m going to hope that these kind of developments get us to the 10-win level, and then an invite to the struggling Big 12 or ACC conferences. They both need some academic and athletic talent infusion. In either conference, we’d reach the upper half of the talent level within 2 or 3 years of getting into the conference. No need for Fritz to go anywhere. Hopefully Dannen is doing the heavy lifting behind the scenes.
Other than Clemson, the ACC is loaded with high quality academic institutions. I would HOPE we'd reach the top half of the talent level, but that's no given by any means. Let's worry about what's ahead of us, because, quite frankly, we're still not the first program out of the AAC to get a "PEE" invite at this time. Probably 4th in line at best.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Just think of the "fun" we could have with his name "JETT."
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DaveBrownStreak wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:26 pm Just think of the "fun" we could have with his name "JETT."
Almost as much fun, if we chose to take the low road, with UConn's 6'10' 195# power forward.

:lol: :roll: :)
GreenLantern
Riptide

As I mentioned earlier, my brother-in-law was a QB for Texas Tech in the early 80s and keeps up with the program very closely. When I spoke to him about a possible Duffey transfer, this was his comment:
"I've watched him play a number of games. He is a pretty good QB, but not a great QB. He has a good arm but certainly not an NFL arm. He is, however, a very good runner. The Texas Tech starter was hurt the majority of this year and also some of last year. As a result, Duffey saw some extensive playing time that otherwise he might not have seen."
This makes me think that golfnut and DaveFromCT are right when they compare Duffey to having another McMillan transfer. We need to contain our enthusiasm and keep our expectations in check by realizing that this is not a 'Joe Burrow' transfer but is a very strong move. If and when this actually happens, there will be competition between Keon Howard and Duffey and I will be very happy to see both of them on the roster
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:14 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:53 pm I’m going to hope that these kind of developments get us to the 10-win level, and then an invite to the struggling Big 12 or ACC conferences. They both need some academic and athletic talent infusion. In either conference, we’d reach the upper half of the talent level within 2 or 3 years of getting into the conference. No need for Fritz to go anywhere. Hopefully Dannen is doing the heavy lifting behind the scenes.
Other than Clemson, the ACC is loaded with high quality academic institutions. I would HOPE we'd reach the top half of the talent level, but that's no given by any means. Let's worry about what's ahead of us, because, quite frankly, we're still not the first program out of the AAC to get a "PEE" invite at this time. Probably 4th in line at best.
Other than Clemson and Louisville. And Fla St is more of a party school. The AAC gave up its academic stature when they knee jerked for Louisville. You underestimate our P5 chances. If we keep improving on the field and court, we can readily be in the #1 position.