Tulane MBB Defeats Alcorn St. 68-57

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

It's worth coming to the game on Monday night to get the great tee shirt. Bring a stuffed animal to toss onto the court at halftime or donate $5 to Ronald McDonald House.

No line on the game at historic Devlin Fieldhouse (9th oldest arena in college basketball). So what do we have to do to win Monday night?
  • Play at home (we're 4-0 at home)
  • Lead at halftime (we're 7-0 when leading at the half)
  • Make more 3s than opponent (3-0 when making more 3s)
  • Have 4 or more players score in double digits (5-0 when we get hot)
  • Play Alcorn St. (we're 4-0 playing teams with less than .500 record and they're 3-5 this year)
Last edited by GreenLantern on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The Ronald McDonald house is a great charity. Zach and Teddy's mom had a room at the one in Boston for close to 6 months, She used it when I spent the three nights I got to BCH and stayed in Zach's room. Others used it and gave Teddy a break from his cousins. It was a great facility, and helped out not only our family, but dozens of others during our stay in Boston.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

It is a wonderful facility in Boston and organization. Also will be great to support the team. Wish I could make it and hope folks can make it out.

Next week will be awesome as well as Akron (better than St. Louis) and Liberty (will def make the tourney) are top 100 and top 50 teams. If we can split those games I would feel very excited for the year
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Up against the Saints on a Monday night and playing another SWAC team.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

We seem to have a knack this year for scheduling while the saints play .
WavyHoops
High Tide

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:02 am Rare air:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 7609b.html
Great article! Recruiting Nobal Days may prove to be Dunleavy's greatest accomplishment in New Orleans.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Tulane favored by 16.5 and the O/U is 143. Alcorn is a very poor road team that has faced weak competition. They haven't shot well beyond the 3pt line so expect Coach Hunter's agressive and relentless D to shut down their scoring game.

My guess: Tulane 80 - Alcorn 62. Tulane wins outright, covers the spread and wins the OVER. (But don't bet the money you've saved for those new golf clubs unless you can get Tulane -10.... that would make it a GreenLantern-stone-cold lock).

Another interesting game tonight: Number 18 Texas Tech is a 22 pt favorite against USM. This will be a good comparison to our performance last week at Hattiesburg when we only won by 5.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The game will be on ESPN3.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Interesting thing....tonight at Devlin for the first time that I noticed, there is an open WiFi network...unsecured, no credentials required. Now if we can do the same at football games.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We better play a lot better in the 2nd half if we're going to cover. But I don't give a cr@p about the point spread, a win is a win!

Do we have 500 in Fogelman tonight?

ROLL WAVE!
Last edited by DfromCT on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Alcon St has lost 21 straight road games. We should be ok.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:31 pm Interesting thing....tonight at Devlin for the first time that I noticed, there is an open WiFi network...unsecured, no credentials required. Now if we can do the same at football games.
Yep. The Superdome has open WiFi access no reason Yulman can’t get it.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Announcers said Alcorn hasn’t beaten a non conference D1 opponent since 2012. . . Wow. Just win, don’t care how we do it.

And yes the gym looks very empty.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Watching the second half, I have to ask do we have 250 fans in the building? Seriously, unless the fans are in empty seat costumes, we have lower attendance for this game than any I can remember, despite the 7-2 start.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:01 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:31 pm Interesting thing....tonight at Devlin for the first time that I noticed, there is an open WiFi network...unsecured, no credentials required. Now if we can do the same at football games.
It's about a few $million to give access to 23k at Yulman. Tulane needs to make that investment, as badly as it needs to fix the constant problems with concessions at Yulman.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Very very empty. How many people not in an official capacity are at this game ? 200 may be generous.

Lead up to 9. Looks like Tulane got fired up to play defense, close out, and hustle. Jelly, Hightower and Days playing very hard and making plays.

Anyway: just win. Roll wave
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The audio is horrible on this production from ESPN. There’s a loud/humming feedback noise, and these idiots have their producers audio bleeding over into the announcers feed. “Go to Tulane highlight after next break”. “Go to commercial in 10 seconds”. Our Tulane production next year I bet will have higher production values.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Just win baby.

And of course the Saints game has a lot to do with this. I'm splitting my seats between the computer (ESPN3) and the couch.

Edit: We now have doubled our victory total from a year ago. Lets see if we can win a few in the AAC.
Last edited by DfromCT on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:13 pm
It's about a few $million to give access to 23k at Yulman. Tulane needs to make that investment, as badly as it needs to fix the constant problems with concessions at Yulman.
Actually it’s $0.
The WiFi is already there on the entire campus. Tulane has it password protected for students only.
Need to unlock it during game days for the fans. Allow for a 4 hour window for guest access on game days. Apparently they did that tonight at Devlin.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:51 pm
Actually it’s $0.
The WiFi is already there on the entire campus. Tulane has it password protected for students only.
Need to unlock it during game days for the fans.
The bandwidth would probably not support a sold out (if that happens any time soon) Yulman. I had a signal the first game we played there, but couldn't even send a text message. I don't even bother trying since.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:55 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:51 pm
Actually it’s $0.
Need to unlock it during game days for the fans.
The bandwidth would probably not support a sold out (if that happens any time soon) Yulman. I had a signal the first game we played there, but couldn't even send a text message. I don't even bother trying since.
You were probably on LTE or 4G which is terrible there. The WiFi on campus is good. I’m sure if 10,000 all tried to access at once that could be an issue. But at least open it up on game days to see.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

A win is a win. As CT said, DOUBLED our win total from last year. Shut it down today and it’s already a successful year ;)

This week is big. We’ll play Akron in 4 days (#65 in Net) and Liberty (if we win) A couple days later is #19.
Show Me
Tsunami

Lucky we were playing Alcorn State tonight. Anybody else we probably get beat. Good scheduling by Hunter. Nobody there to see the bad effort.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Tulane overcomes very cold shooting to get the win. Alcorn St. was outshooting the Greenies in the first half (52% FG and 44% 3pt), but cooled down after intermission (37% FG and 30% 3pt). Tulane was ice cold for the entire game (35% FG and 30% 3pt) but compensated with 13 steals to Alcorn's 5.

Don't lose sight of the fact that we won the game in spite of playing very poorly. I don't believe we would have taken the victory last year. Granted, Alcorn is not Duke, but they played impressively. They have two very good players who accounted for 2/3 of their scoring (Corey Tillery - 21 pts and Maurice Howard -18 pts.)

The winning factor was free throws. Tulane made 15 of 19 while Alcorn made 3 of 4. If you haven't noticed, unlike the Dunleavy teams, this group does not foul. The 12 point difference in FTs was the margin of victory.

The game environment wasn't much to speak of. I would guess there were 350 folks on hand. The T shirts in the giveaway were great! I would've spent $20 for this shirt. A humble suggestion: I'm disappointed that Coach Hunter doesn't interview with Allegretta in the post-game show but instead sends Claude Pardue. Say what you will about Dunleavy, he never, ever dodged a post-game interview no matter how bad the loss.

A win is a win and it's a good thing. Let's see what happens Friday against Akron.

P.S. Top 25 team Texas Tech only beat Southern Miss by 6 points while playing at their home court. Makes our winning performance last week at Hattiesburg seem a bit more impressive.