Armed Forces Bowl vs. Southern Miss

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

for those going to the game and looking for Hotels, may I suggest the Marriott or Hiltons on University Drive, just south of I-30 and north of I-20...easy drive to the stadium and to the Ft Worth Stockyards...good resturants near the Hotels... I suggest a cab ride from the Hotels to the Stockyards
https://hotelguides.com/texas/fort-wort ... otels.html

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:11 am for those going to the game and looking for Hotels, may I suggest the Marriott or Hiltons on University Drive, just south of I-30 and north of I-20...easy drive to the stadium and to the Ft Worth Stockyards...good resturants near the Hotels... I suggest a cab ride from the Hotels to the Stockyards
https://hotelguides.com/texas/fort-wort ... otels.html
Tulane also put out a list including where the team is staying.
https://arestravel.com/site/welcome/573 ... t-packages
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:48 am
MicMan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:53 pm What with Fritz' ham-handed search for a new job, and the way some people here bad-mouth CUSA and, based on our worse-than-weak-ass finish, the diginified thing would be to decline the invitation. Embarassing.
Can u die or stop paying ur internet bill?
This.

What an idiot.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
GreenLantern
Riptide

Golfnut mentioned Colonial CC and that jarred my memory about my high school years in Ft. Worth. Here's some trivia that has absolutely nothing to do with the bowl game but may give you some insight into how sports-crazed the DFW area has always been:

There was an obscure little country club in SE Ft. Worth called Glen Garden where my father often played. It was a pretty raw course and it was an unmerited dignity to refer to the 108 acres as a 'country club'. However, the course had some history. In the mid 1920's most people used caddies to play the course and there were some pretty good ones there. The club held a caddie tournament each year and in 1926 the tournament ended in tie and a nine-hole playoff. You may have heard of the two youngsters who were involved. Byron Nelson defeated Ben Hogan by one stroke to claim the victory.

Not far from Glen Garden CC is an orphanage, The Masonic Boy's Home, which is a shelter for young boys whose father was a member of the Masonic order. Well, the Masonic Home did their best to field a football team each year in class 1A but often lacked an adequate number of players. It was not uncommon for them to dress out less than 15 boys. The orphans were tough kids and their team was the 'Mighty Mites'. I suppose that life had hardened them and in football, whatever they lacked in numbers they made up in toughness. They were scrawny kids who wore scarred helmets and faded jerseys that did not match. My high school was in their 1A division and in the 60s, we played them each year. We dreaded the game. These kids would hit so hard they would knock you out of your shoes. If you wanted to risk getting knocked senseless, you would taunt them by calling them orphans.

In the 1930s, the coach of the Masonic Home was Randy Russell (later to coach at SMU). For some reason I do not recall, the larger Ft. Worth schools in class 7A would play the orphans each year. To make up for his team's lack of size, Russell created a wide-open offense which would now be called a 'spread'. He used a squad of only twelve kids and won a Texas state championship in 1930. In 1931 his team was undefeated even though playing the area's powerhouses. The Mighty Mites lost the state championship that year to a much larger team from Corsicana on 'penetrations'.

Jim Dent, a Dallas sportswriter who penned the book 'The Junction Boys' about Bear Bryant's hard-nosed summer camps for the A&M football team, also wrote a book about the Masonic Mighty Mites: "Twelve Mighty Orphans" is a moving narrative which describes the winning seasons in the early 1930s and how challenging life was at the orphanage. Verne Lundquist calls it the greatest sports story ever told. I highly recommend it. Sooner or later it will have to be made into a movie. It's that good.

Sorry for the threadjack and the Ft. Worth history. Back to the bowl game.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Great story and extremely interesting. Might stop by the local library and pick it up (Amazon be damned, I love libraries). I’ve been looking for a new read.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Followup to the Masonic Mighty Mites. To my surprise and delight, a movie has been made which will premier in Ft. Worth next year:
https://www.star-telegram.com/entertain ... 73269.html
Robert Duvall and Martin Sheen are involved so it will probably be pretty good.
Wave755
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:06 pm Golfnut mentioned Colonial CC and that jarred my memory about my high school years in Ft. Worth. Here's some trivia that has absolutely nothing to do with the bowl game but may give you some insight into how sports-crazed the DFW area has always been:

There was an obscure little country club in SE Ft. Worth called Glen Garden where my father often played. It was a pretty raw course and it was an unmerited dignity to refer to the 108 acres as a 'country club'. However, the course had some history. In the mid 1920's most people used caddies to play the course and there were some pretty good ones there. The club held a caddie tournament each year and in 1926 the tournament ended in tie and a nine-hole playoff. You may have heard of the two youngsters who were involved. Byron Nelson defeated Ben Hogan by one stroke to claim the victory.

Not far from Glen Garden CC is an orphanage, The Masonic Boy's Home, which is a shelter for young boys whose father was a member of the Masonic order. Well, the Masonic Home did their best to field a football team each year in class 1A but often lacked an adequate number of players. It was not uncommon for them to dress out less than 15 boys. The orphans were tough kids and their team was the 'Mighty Mites'. I suppose that life had hardened them and in football, whatever they lacked in numbers they made up in toughness. They were scrawny kids who wore scarred helmets and faded jerseys that did not match. My high school was in their 1A division and in the 60s, we played them each year. We dreaded the game. These kids would hit so hard they would knock you out of your shoes. If you wanted to risk getting knocked senseless, you would taunt them by calling them orphans.

In the 1930s, the coach of the Masonic Home was Randy Russell (later to coach at SMU). For some reason I do not recall, the larger Ft. Worth schools in class 7A would play the orphans each year. To make up for his team's lack of size, Russell created a wide-open offense which would now be called a 'spread'. He used a squad of only twelve kids and won a Texas state championship in 1930. In 1931 his team was undefeated even though playing the area's powerhouses. The Mighty Mites lost the state championship that year to a much larger team from Corsicana on 'penetrations'.

Jim Dent, a Dallas sportswriter who penned the book 'The Junction Boys' about Bear Bryant's hard-nosed summer camps for the A&M football team, also wrote a book about the Masonic Mighty Mites: "Twelve Mighty Orphans" is a moving narrative which describes the winning seasons in the early 1930s and how challenging life was at the orphanage. Verne Lundquist calls it the greatest sports story ever told. I highly recommend it. Sooner or later it will have to be made into a movie. It's that good.

👍 :D
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:43 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:06 pm Golfnut mentioned Colonial CC and that jarred my memory about my high school years in Ft. Worth. Here's some trivia that has absolutely nothing to do with the bowl game but may give you some insight into how sports-crazed the DFW area has always been:

👍 :D
no need to be sorry for this wonderful piece of history....I can't wait for the movie to be released...too bad it cannot premiere as part of the Bowl Game festivities
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I LOVE IT!

Great post, GreenLantern!

And for golf fans, those that followed the game way back when will swear that Ben Hogan's legacy was determined by Byron Nelson retiring at a very early age once he made enough money to buy his ranch. Nelson could play 3 or 4 tournaments a year in his retirement and win them. He was a full step above the pros, including the great Ben Hogan.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jaxwave
Swell

Very emotional thread for me. My dad and his brothers and sisters grew up in a Catholic orphanage in Raleigh, NC. My dad and uncle played on the orphanage High school football team. There was another orphanage team in Raleigh and every Thanksgiving weekend the two teams would meet in a charity game at a full NC State stadium to raise money for the two orphanages. In my dad’s senior year in 1938, the huge headline on the front page of the sports section the next morning reported my dad’s orphanage won the annual game 7-0 and the picture just below showed my dad led by my uncle’s block scoring the only TD that dad.
I cherish my copy of that Sunday paper mainly for that story and picture of my dad and uncle. I also cherish it for the sub headline on the RH side panel on that front page “Green Wave drowns Bengals 14-0.” The LH side had the USC-ND score. Tulane was so prominent in college football at the time that they garnered headlines in a Raleigh NC paper.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:02 pm Very emotional thread for me. My dad and his brothers and sisters grew up in a Catholic orphanage in Raleigh, NC. My dad and uncle played on the orphanage High school football team. There was another orphanage team in Raleigh and every Thanksgiving weekend the two teams would meet in a charity game at a full NC State stadium to raise money for the two orphanages. In my dad’s senior year in 1938, the huge headline on the front page of the sports section the next morning reported my dad’s orphanage won the annual game 7-0 and the picture just below showed my dad led by my uncle’s block scoring the only TD that dad.
I cherish my copy of that Sunday paper mainly for that story and picture of my dad and uncle. I also cherish it for the sub headline on the RH side panel on that front page “Green Wave drowns Bengals 14-0.” The LH side had the USC-ND score. Tulane was so prominent in college football at the time that they garnered headlines in a Raleigh NC paper.
Good story! May we live long enough to see a return of the Green Wave's glory days.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks so much for sharing that. Very moving.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:12 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:02 pm Very emotional thread for me. My dad and his brothers and sisters grew up in a Catholic orphanage in Raleigh, NC. My dad and uncle played on the orphanage High school football team. There was another orphanage team in Raleigh and every Thanksgiving weekend the two teams would meet in a charity game at a full NC State stadium to raise money for the two orphanages. In my dad’s senior year in 1938, the huge headline on the front page of the sports section the next morning reported my dad’s orphanage won the annual game 7-0 and the picture just below showed my dad led by my uncle’s block scoring the only TD that dad.
Good story! May we live long enough to see a return of the Green Wave's glory days.
Cheers to that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Fifth Quarter Tulane
Ripple

MicMan
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:46 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:48 am
MicMan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:53 pm What with Fritz' ham-handed search for a new job, and the way some people here bad-mouth CUSA and, based on our worse-than-weak-ass finish, the diginified thing would be to decline the invitation. Embarassing.
Can u die or stop paying ur internet bill?
This.

What an idiot.
triggered much? LOL
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

😢 Man that’s a great one. But hey maybe Tulane should just drop football and fritz should retire and LSU isn’t a rival. Roll F**king Wave
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Fifth Quarter Tulane wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:10 pm Image
Hahaha well played
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenie78
Riptide

What would be a better option for me with a family of 5? Driving 5 1/2 hours from Lake Charles or flying direct?
GreenLantern
Riptide

greenie78 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:41 am What would be a better option for me with a family of 5? Driving 5 1/2 hours from Lake Charles or flying direct?
It's hard to offer an opinion without knowing the age and travel-patience of the family members. To me it seems like a no-brainer to drive.

Even though you would probably drive through Houston (unless you preferred the non-interstate route), your travel time would not be a great deal longer by driving. If you fly United and change in Houston, you could probably save time by driving. And if $ is a consideration, certainly driving with a family of 5 is a great deal cheaper.

Concerning lodging, Ft. Worth is like any other large metro area in that there are areas in which you would prefer to stay. I suggest that you use a service like vrbo.com and rent a house in the Tanglewood, TCU, or Arlington Heights area. I think you would enjoy your stay.

PM me if you have specific questions.
KBWAVE
Ripple

I was listening to SiriusXM NFL radio today. Bruce Murray (Tulane Grad) and Brett Favre (USM Grad) host a talk show and will be broadcasting live from the Superbowl. They have a bet on the bowl game. If Tulane wins Brett will wear a Tulane shirt to the Super Bowl and if USM wins Bruce will wear the USM shirt. It'd be nice to see Favre in Tulane Green!!!!

Roll Wave!!!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Hah ! I like it. The analytics and bookies feel good about Tulane ! Bookies with Tulane being a touchdown favorite and Bill C from ESPN & Sp+ projecting a 10 point win !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

If we had finished with 7-9 wins, I think there would be some % chance the AAC trades us into independence bowl against Miami in Shreveport. We saw what happened with SMU & UCF, we didn’t have good bowl tie ins left so they send them to regional matchups. . . Man a match up with Miami in Shreveport would have been amazing.