St. Louis 86 - Tulane 62

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The game is Sunday at 12:30. There is no TV for this one. It's a battle of 7-1 teams. They were picked 7th out of 14 in the A-10.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

What a change. We've gone from wanting to dig a hole and hide so no one knew we were Tulane BB fans to creating an entire thread two days in advance for a non-conf BB game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:55 pm What a change. We've gone from wanting to dig a hole and hide so no one knew we were Tulane BB fans to creating an entire thread two days in advance for a non-conf BB game.
I cannot agree more.

When we hired Mike Dunleavy, I thought it was a great hire, and boy was I wrong. Early on it was clear he was clueless about the college game. I think Dunleavy is a good man, and if he's still in New Orleans, could be a helpful resource. But he just never became the college basketball coach I though he would be.

I wish no ill will on Mike Dunleavy. And I'm damned pleased that Coach Hunter is now running the program.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:55 pm What a change. We've gone from wanting to dig a hole and hide so no one knew we were Tulane BB fans to creating an entire thread two days in advance for a non-conf BB game.
Tru dat.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:04 pm
I cannot agree more.

When we hired Mike Dunleavy, I thought it was a great hire, and boy was I wrong. Early on it was clear he was clueless about the college game. I think Dunleavy is a good man, and if he's still in New Orleans, could be a helpful resource. But he just never became the college basketball coach I though he would be.

I wish no ill will on Mike Dunleavy. And I'm damned pleased that Coach Hunter is now running the program.
I was wrong on MD too as were many of us. Glad we've moved on.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

St. Louis opens as a 5 point favorite. Tulane is 5-1 against the spread in their last six games as Las Vegas tries to decide who this team really is. Tulane with a poor record against St. Louis losing 6 of the last 7.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ruski
Swell

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Ruski wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:29 pm
Thank goodness. Looking forward to it
GreenLantern
Riptide

Tulane meets its old Metro Conference nemesis before a rowdy crowd of 100 (my estimate) in Phoenix this afternoon while another obscure game takes place in the Dome. It will be an interesting and revelatory game that should give us more insight into what to expect during conference play.

According to the prevailing opinion on the Billiken fan forum, Tulane is a C team playing beyond their talent whereas St. Louis is a B team playing below theirs. Other interesting factoids:
  • Thus far, Tulane has played one of the 15 weakest schedules in all of college basketball
  • St. Louis has one of the 10 best rebounding teams in all of college basketball
  • A Billiken is a mythological creature that represents the way things should be. Remember in high school when you dreamed of the head cheerleader? Well, if you had a Billiken in your pocket at the time....you can see where this is going.
The line has steadied with Tulane as a 5.5 point dog with the O/U at 133. I would not bet this game. It matches a very young untested St. Louis team against a who-knows-what-we've-got-yet Tulane team. If I were forced to wager a couple bucks, I'd take St. Louis to win, Tulane to cover, and the game to go UNDER. Final score, St. Louis 68-GangGreen 64. Hoping to be wrong.
anEngineer
Riptide

Does anyone know why we are travelling all the way to Arizona to play one game; especially against a team that is only a 90 minute flight away if we played at their place?
nawlinspete
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:47 am Does anyone know why we are travelling all the way to Arizona to play one game; especially against a team that is only a 90 minute flight away if we played at their place?
The BENJAMINS !
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Out of 330 D1 Basketball programs we've played the 15th weakest schedule? That seems a bit odd, especially given what Utah has done.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

On espn+ and 1280 am on iheart radio.

Down 10 with 5 minutes to go in the first half. Saint Louis shooting 60% from the field.
Wave755
Tsunami

44 to 28 St. Louis @ half.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Tulane behind 44-28 at the half. StLou shooting red hot 67% from 3pt land. Tulane is 2 of 8 from the 3 line.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Tulane and New Orleans Saints both getting torched on defense
GreenLantern
Riptide

Tulane outshot by the Billikens today 86-62. Tough to overcome 61% 3pt shooting. Hopefully the Wave will have a couple games like this.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

For those that watched on ESPN+ what did you think of the broadcast?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:04 am For those that watched on ESPN+ what did you think of the broadcast?
I watched some on my phone but only during the Saints TO’s so I couldn’t give a fair opinion.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:25 am
winwave wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:04 am For those that watched on ESPN+ what did you think of the broadcast?
I watched some on my phone but only during the Saints TO’s so I couldn’t give a fair opinion.
sorta like..."Well Mrs Lincoln, other than your husband being killed, what did you think of the play"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

Any team that shoots 60+% from 3 point land will be tough to beat or stay close with in final score. No shame here. Onwards to no. 8 win against Alcorn State!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 am Out of 330 D1 Basketball programs we've played the 15th weakest schedule? That seems a bit odd, especially given what Utah has done.
According to real time RPI (updated today), Tulane's RPI is ranked 236 and Tulane's SOS is ranked 341 (third worst SOS in the AAC - Tulsa and SMU are worse). Utah's RPI is ranked 96 with an SOS being ranked at 170.

It's still unclear how good Tulane is, but it lost to the 2 highest ranked teams in RPI that it has played. Utah is the highest ranked other team in terms of RPI that Tulane has played until you reach MTSU, which has an RPI of 241.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:29 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 am Out of 330 D1 Basketball programs we've played the 15th weakest schedule? That seems a bit odd, especially given what Utah has done.
According to real time RPI (updated today), Tulane's RPI is ranked 236 and Tulane's SOS is ranked 341 (third worst SOS in the AAC - Tulsa and SMU are worse). Utah's RPI is ranked 96 with an SOS being ranked at 170.

It's still unclear how good Tulane is, but it lost to the 2 highest ranked teams in RPI that it has played. Utah is the highest ranked other team in terms of RPI that Tulane has played until you reach MTSU, which has an RPI of 241.
Yes. Hunter said he wanted wins. So that’s why you see that SOS. Our first 3 conference games are brutal. If we win one of them that would be an accomplishment.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981