Re: Fritz talks with other schools about jobs near NSD- did it hurt recruiting?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Fifth Quarter Tulane wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:45 pm Fritz isn’t a top candidate for Arkansas and it looks like Missouri will announce Jeff Scott as head coach tomorrow
I agree..Mizzou will name Scott either late tonite or on Sunday....

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:04 pm
Fifth Quarter Tulane wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:45 pm Fritz isn’t a top candidate for Arkansas and it looks like Missouri will announce Jeff Scott as head coach tomorrow
I agree..Mizzou will name Scott either late tonite or on Sunday....
+1, and WF has never been under serious consideration for the Arkansas job, he will only get the Arkansas job if all other candidates “mysteriously” drop dead (hopefully Willie doesn’t want out of here that bad?). :D :) ;)
Sunamiwave
High Tide

It looks really bad that Willie will not get any of these jobs and never issued any type of public statement removing himself from consideration. Recruiting will likely take a hit. Perception is reality.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:00 pm Fritz will mope on back to Tulane when he doesn't get his offer! Meanwhile, none of these kids will believe his line about rebuilding something
special at Tulane for the long hall. He will have lost a great deal of street cred to all but the heavy koolaide consumer. He wants out so bad, just do us a favor and quit!
This thread is about 3x the amount of media discussion about Coach Fritz being a candidate at any of the jobs mentioned than you'll find anywhere. For all we know, he never even spoke with another program on the phone. It's all been about a cbssports article that never named a source.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aegis
High Tide

Willie will be back next year.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:09 pm
Bigschtick wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:00 pm Fritz will mope on back to Tulane when he doesn't get his offer! Meanwhile, none of these kids will believe his line about rebuilding something
special at Tulane for the long hall. He will have lost a great deal of street cred to all but the heavy koolaide consumer. He wants out so bad, just do us a favor and quit!
This thread is about 3x the amount of media discussion about Coach Fritz being a candidate at any of the jobs mentioned than you'll find anywhere. For all we know, he never even spoke with another program on the phone. It's all been about a cbssports article that never named a source.
That's what I said earlier in the week. We don't have any indication that Fritz actually did speak to anyone, just what some anonymous source said.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wavetime
Swell

That's OK with me if he leaves. I'm a fan of CWF and the program is better off now than when he got here. I'd like him to stay, think he's a good coach. We just don't know what happened, did he interview? If he did, take your name out to save face and recruiting.

With Dannen and Fritz being in the business for so long, I'm wondering if he was posturing for a contract renewal or if he did even interview. If he did, I can't imagine a statement not being issued. Just too much experience for that.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

There have been numerous articles on the internet from various news organizations about Willie interviewing with Arkansas and Missouri. We know Willie is not getting either of these jobs. As others have already said the silence from Willie and Tulane is deafening. If Willie and Tulane think they can just ignore this and not issue any type of public statement than they are in denial. It will remain the elephant in the room until addressed and will likely hurt recruiting even with Willie staying.
McWave
High Tide

The article is out there. So if WF didn’t interview, use it. Come out with a statement saying it’s false and you are staying at Tulane because it’s the place to be. The future is bright.

If the article is correct (WF is interviewing) and WF says nothing until there are no jobs left, WF/TU looks bad. Recruiting is hurt.

I wouldn’t give WF a raise until I see this recruiting class. If it ends up in the crapper, so does any raise.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:46 pm There have been numerous articles on the internet from various news organizations about Willie interviewing with Arkansas and Missouri. We know Willie is not getting either of these jobs. As others have already said the silence from Willie and Tulane is deafening. If Willie and Tulane think they can just ignore this and not issue any type of public statement than they are in denial. It will remain the elephant in the room until addressed and will likely hurt recruiting even with Willie staying.
I guess you guys don't understand what circular reporting is. There was ONE article that rumored Fritz being interested in MO and AR. After that, the others just wrote their articles based on info in the first one. There's not multiple sources, there's ONE, whomever the "source" was that provided info for the first article. That's it.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:57 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:46 pm There have been numerous articles on the internet from various news organizations about Willie interviewing with Arkansas and Missouri. We know Willie is not getting either of these jobs. As others have already said the silence from Willie and Tulane is deafening. If Willie and Tulane think they can just ignore this and not issue any type of public statement than they are in denial. It will remain the elephant in the room until addressed and will likely hurt recruiting even with Willie staying.
I guess you guys don't understand what circular reporting is. There was ONE article that rumored Fritz being interested in MO and AR. After that, the others just wrote their articles based on info in the first one. There's not multiple sources, there's ONE, whomever the "source" was that provided info for the first article. That's it.
+1.

The echo chamber successfully whipped every fan into a frenzy, foaming at the mouth to consume fritz alive
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I know about circular reporting so you are not telling me anything new. Like I said previously perception becomes reality. There are numerous articles about Willie interviewing with Missouri and Arkansas on the internet and tons of discussion on web sites with high visitor volume such as Tiger Droppings. Just because this information is based on only one source does not negate the fact that it spread like wild fire and should have been addressed by Willie and Tulane. It will continue to be the elephant in the room until a public statement is released. The worst thing that Willie and Tulane. could do is stay silent on the issue. That would be a public relations nightmare. Now Willie and Tulane need to address the issue by releasing a public statement and try to put the issue to bed. They need to contain the damage that this has likely caused to recruiting.
Jaxwave
Swell

With Norvell to FSU, look for Willie Hall to be high on his list as potential OC in Tallahassee.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:52 pm With Norvell to FSU, look for Willie Hall to be high on his list as potential OC in Tallahassee.
Hall was his TE coach not his OC. Unless Memphis promotes the OC I don't see Hall getting that job. They may bring back Chip Long to be their HC.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:52 pm With Norvell to FSU, look for Willie Hall to be high on his list as potential OC in Tallahassee.
Why?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:35 am
Why?
He said high on the list. I think that’s a reasonable assumption at this point. Also depends on who Memphis hires as HC. If offered Hall would take it. He’d get a nice bump in his salary.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think MBA was questioning why Hall would be high on anyone's list after this season. He didn't exactly polish his resume, particularly as the season progressed.
Bigschtick
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:19 pm
That's what I said earlier in the week. We don't have any indication that Fritz actually did speak to anyone, just what some anonymous source said.

Very true but on the other hand, we do not have any statement from Fritz saying he did not interview, do we? Bottom line, he has hurt recruiting and his credibility. .
Last edited by Bigschtick on Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
anEngineer
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:26 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Very true but on the other hand, we do not have any statement from Fritz saying he did not interview, do we? Bottom line, he has hurt recruiting and his credibly .
I have no idea what did or didn't happen, but I don't think it's incumbent on anyone to make statements about what they DIDN'T do. If some jackass reporter (and we all know they make stuff up) said Fritz is considering retirement or interviewed for an NFL job, should he have to call a press conference to say none of it is true?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:17 am I think MBA was questioning why Hall would be high on anyone's list after this season. He didn't exactly polish his resume, particularly as the season progressed.
He sure didn’t polish his resume. But impressions and reputations die hard. Hall is probably still considered an up and coming young offensive innovator, just like Fritz is still viewed as a coach that always tailors his system to his talent—I’m not sure either is particularly true.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

We just have to hope that all the coaching musical chairs ends soon, and all the discussion can focus on the bowl game—all before the early signing date.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:17 am I think MBA was questioning why Hall would be high on anyone's list after this season. He didn't exactly polish his resume, particularly as the season progressed.
Poor QB play, penalties hurt. But our offense moved up over 50 spots from last year. Moved into the top 25 now for total offense.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:45 am We just have to hope that all the coaching musical chairs ends soon, and all the discussion can focus on the bowl game—all before the early signing date.
True, a bowl game announcement, particularly against Miami or FSU, will put all of this behind us and probably can serve to be a real boost to recruiting.
Greenanyway
Ripple

Despite all of the angst in this thread , I see no surprises here. We’ve always been a stepping stone for coaches here. However, we’ve become even more of one when a 60 year old coach attempts to bolt with his marginal record with us. Most probable scenario is that he wants out period. Probably tired of paltry attendance and absolutely no community backing of the home team by the press, and therefore the general population. Let’s face it, we’ve participated in making ourselves irrelevant here with the management of our university “priorities “ and athletic department over many years. It’s all LSU and Saints now. I think that WF is open to just about any job opening that pays more that TU is willing to. Therefore, the silence until the dust settles above us. Why else would he remain silent with recruiting and a bowl game so close?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greenanyway wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:56 am Despite all of the angst in this thread , I see no surprises here. We’ve always been a stepping stone for coaches here. However, we’ve become even more of one when a 60 year old coach attempts to bolt with his marginal record with us. Most probable scenario is that he wants out period. Probably tired of paltry attendance and absolutely no community backing of the home team by the press, and therefore the general population. Let’s face it, we’ve participated in making ourselves irrelevant here with the management of our university “priorities “ and athletic department over many years. It’s all LSU and Saints now. I think that WF is open to just about any job opening that pays more that TU is willing to. Therefore, the silence until the dust settles above us. Why else would he remain silent with recruiting and a bowl game so close?
Because he doesn't want to respond every time some internet bulletin board creates the rumor that he's leaving.