Re: Fritz talks with other schools about jobs near NSD- did it hurt recruiting?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I love Willie as the TU coach, I just don’t see how you can sell him to a P5 school. Ultimately he is a below .500 coach at TU and tops out at 7-6.

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

That’s pure conjecture. Have you heard anything to remotely suggest that ?

I am surprised we haven’t heard anything about Fritz and Ole Miss. It’s Almost too quiet on that front.

Unfortunately this is a game of musical chairs, and it looks like the music won’t stop until Saturday night/Sunday after conference championships (which we conspicuously are not a part of unlike most other coaches being interviewed). At that point Kiffin & Norvell will be announced and then others in succession.

Usually agents and coaches figure out they’re not getting the job A day or two before and Public ally say they are not a candidate and slink back to their schools Looking for an extension. Not looking like that’s happening
HoustonWave
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:05 pm One thing to think about...

We were one play away from being bowl-eligible for 3 straight years. To someone on the outside, achieving that at a school like Tulane seems pretty incredible.

So, who knows.
But probably only hardcore Tulane loyalist, like those on this board, are even aware of that fact. Of course it's also true that we are only one play away from Fritz, and us, still waiting to play in our first bowl game since 2013. A game of inches as they say.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:24 pm All this talk but I have not read anywhere, is it possible Fritz was promised certain things ( bigger recruiting budget, pay raises for staff, facilities, etc) and Tulane has not come through? Which could be a reason he wants out.
I have posted about him making comments as this season wore on about the difficulty of winning here. As to promises I have posted that TD talked about the building a football ops. building and when fundraising went nowhere we got a renovated weight room instead. So again no one begrudges him moving on if he can cash in but people are upset of the potential damage to recruiting and to the current team.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Sunamiwave wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:17 pm So if Willie is not a prime target what is taking him so long to release a definitive public statement? I guess Willie is not removing his name from consideration even though his chances of getting these jobs are minuscule. This is embarassing!! Both for Willie and for Tulane!!
Maybe Willie, and his agent, are thinking about applying for the jobs at ULaLa, Arky State and FAU. :-o
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

None of the rumors have been substantiated. They're still nothing but media speculation.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:08 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:17 pm So if Willie is not a prime target what is taking him so long to release a definitive public statement? I guess Willie is not removing his name from consideration even though his chances of getting these jobs are minuscule. This is embarassing!! Both for Willie and for Tulane!!
Maybe Willie, and his agent, are thinking about applying for the jobs at ULaLa, Arky State and FAU. :-o
You’re making yourself look stupid
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I was just thinking about all of the AAC coaches I wish were at Tulane instead of Willie and it is a long list. In no particular order I like the following AAC coaches better than Willie. 1) Mike Norvell. 2) Sonny Dykes 3) Ken Nietello (sp?), 4) Luke Fickel, 5) Rod Carey, and 6) Josh Heupel
Willie is a middle tier AAC coach and nothing more. Time for him to get off of his high horse and get back to reality.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:35 pm I was just thinking about all of the AAC coaches I wish were at Tulane instead of Willie and it is a long list. In no particular order I like the following AAC coaches better than Willie. 1) Mike Norvell. 2) Sonny Dykes 3) Ken Nietello (sp?), 4) Luke Fickel, 5) Rod Carey, and 6) Josh Heupel
Willie is a middle tier AAC coach and nothing more. Time for him to get off of his high horse and get back to reality.
What is he doing to make you say he’s on his high horse?
Here’s some reality for you, any football coach that has any kind of success at Tulane is going to be looking to get a P5 job. That’s going to be the goal of any good coach that we get. This isn’t going to be a destination job. If you’re gonna get your feelings hurt every time they express interest in a bigger job, you will look foolish.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Geez! I meant by "high horse" that Willie is not a SEC caliber coach and is only a mid tier AAC coach at best. Read my entire post!
I could care less if Willie leaves as we can do better. I just want a decision to be made as soon as possible so that all parties can move forward.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:25 pm
You’re making yourself look stupid
No, you just have no sense of humor--don't have much sense period.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Someone needs to explain to me how the arkansas or mizzou fanbases, alums and boosters would embrace hiring a 60 year old coach with a 22-27 record in the AAC and who also happens to have a history of a run first offense at a time when all the better programs are basically pass first.
Oh and there just so happens to be at least 4-5 coaches in the AAC with more success who are younger and bring with them a far more compelling offensive scheme.

I am legit confused.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

You shouldn’t be confused. They won’t accept it. Especially as they’re looking for Offense centric head coaches. . . I mean Willie can tell them about his triple option
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:55 pm You shouldn’t be confused. They won’t accept it. Especially as they’re looking for Offense centric head coaches. . . I mean Willie can tell them about his triple option
Arkansas hired and fired an "offensive" coach from SMU, who will most probably be the next OC at Texas...if he is not hired at Texas, Todd Dodge may have a place for him at Westlake High.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

heres a sobering thought..if not for a blown Officilas call...Tulane would be in 3 straight bowl games...when did that happen last ?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

When did they last have 78 teams make Bowl games?
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I can only hope the sarcasm banner is waving with this post. Otherwise it's the most ridiculous post ever on this board.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:20 pm Someone needs to explain to me how the arkansas or mizzou fanbases, alums and boosters would embrace hiring a 60 year old coach with a 22-27 record in the AAC and who also happens to have a history of a run first offense at a time when all the better programs are basically pass first.
Oh and there just so happens to be at least 4-5 coaches in the AAC with more success who are younger and bring with them a far more compelling offensive scheme.

I am legit confused.
Spot on. This.
greenie78
Riptide

6-6 in AAC is equivalent to 9-3 in C-USA.
wave97
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37 am 6-6 in AAC is equivalent to 9-3 in C-USA.
Our Sun Belt/MAC/CUSA bowl opponents may have something to say about that
My money will be on them.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:09 am
I can only hope the sarcasm banner is waving with this post. Otherwise it's the most ridiculous post ever on this board.
What do you think, D?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Getting this back on track:
Ole Miss has a deal in place with Kiffin.
Norvel has a deal in place with FSU.

The game of musical chairs is coming to an end. Mizzou has said they need a splash hire with spurrier JR and the Boise Coach as top targets. It’s not going to be Willie.

Not sure the latest in the Arkansas search
Fifth Quarter Tulane
Ripple

Fritz isn’t a top candidate for Arkansas and it looks like Missouri will announce Jeff Scott as head coach tomorrow
Bigschtick
Riptide

Fritz will mope on back to Tulane when he doesn't get his offer! Meanwhile, none of these kids will believe his line about rebuilding something
special at Tulane for the long hall. He will have lost a great deal of street cred to all but the heavy koolaide consumer. He wants out so bad, just do us a favor and quit!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!