Mizzou flushes Barry Odum

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Another P5 coaching tarpit opens up.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't know that I'd call Mizzou a "tarpit". They've spent time ranked in the top 25 13 of 20 seasons this century. In 2007, they were ranked #1, and finished 4th. The Tigers have finished in the top 20 5 times this century. They were pretty good with Chase Daniels.

But I will grant you it's going to be a tough place to win in the SEC. They were better off in the Big 12.

My bad initially posting that Drew B was a Missou Tiger. As others have pointed out, he went to Purdue before the Chargers drafted him.
Last edited by DfromCT on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:31 pm Another P5 coaching tarpit opens up.
sey what !?!?!?...a recruiting hot bed, right in the middle between St Louis and KC...what more could a recruiting coordinator ask for......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Swell

As long as they're in the SEC East that's a decent job. Georgia and Florida aren't Bama/LSU/A&M/Auburn.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:54 pm As long as they're in the SEC East that's a decent job. Georgia and Florida aren't Bama/LSU/A&M/Auburn.
Norvell to Mizzou...Hugh Freeze makes a triumph return to Tennessee to coach Memphis State..Skippy Holtz bolts La Tech to follow in his dads footsteps and takes over at Arkansas
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

Brees went to Purdue
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:20 pm They were pretty good with Drew Brees and then Chase Daniels.
Drew Brees??? :confused: Drew Brees played for the Boilermakers of Purdue? :yes:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

but wait !!!! Theres more...with Skippy off to Fayetville... Rich Rod rides back to Louisiana to take over at La Tech !!!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:22 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:31 pm Another P5 coaching tarpit opens up.
sey what !?!?!?...a recruiting hot bed, right in the middle between St Louis and KC...what more could a recruiting coordinator ask for......
They could ask for Texas—which Mizzou used to recruit in their Big 8 and 12 days. No more. Mizzou suffers from the same problem as Arkansas and No-Bowl Nebraska. Conference change took them out of their best recruiting turf.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:29 pm Brees went to Purdue
You are right, As is 755. I stand corrected!
greenie78
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:02 pm but wait !!!! Theres more...with Skippy off to Fayetville... Rich Rod rides back to Louisiana to take over at La Tech !!!
Arky just fired a coach who came from SMU. Doubt they hire another one.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:46 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:02 pm but wait !!!! Theres more...with Skippy off to Fayetville... Rich Rod rides back to Louisiana to take over at La Tech !!!
Skippy is the coach at Louisiana Tech...not SMU
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:23 pm
They could ask for Texas—which Mizzou used to recruit in their Big 8 and 12 days. No more. Mizzou suffers from the same problem as Arkansas and No-Bowl Nebraska. Conference change took them out of their best recruiting turf.
Chase danilel the QB from mizzou, played Qb at the same high school as drew brees....without Texas high school football. Oklahoma and Oklahmoa State would be Kansas ...without playing Texas, Baylor, TCU or texas tech, mizzou has a tuff time recruiting the state of Texas...
greenie78
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:55 pm
greenie78 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:46 pm
Skippy is the coach at Louisiana Tech...not SMU
You’re right. I thought I read Dykes. But C-USA is by far the worst conference so going to the SEC West is too big of a jump. He’s better off going to an AAC school. He would be a good choice for Memphis or SMU assuming Dykes or Norvell leave.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:58 pm
Chase danilel the QB from mizzou, played Qb at the same high school as drew brees....without Texas high school football. Oklahoma and Oklahmoa State would be Kansas ...without playing Texas, Baylor, TCU or texas tech, mizzou has a tuff time recruiting the state of Texas...
I thought Chase Daniel went to Southlake-Carroll high School.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:12 pm
I'd bet $1 million he did.

At one point, when Garrett Hartley kicked for the Saints, the snapper, holder and kicker were all Southlake Dragons alumni.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:16 pm

At one point, when Garrett Hartley kicked for the Saints, the snapper, holder and kicker were all Southlake Dragons alumni.
U are correct...he played for Todd Dodge in high school....
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:41 pm

And they had a mini dynasty! Won a few state championships, had losses in the state championship game, and even had steriod scandals!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:55 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:41 pm

And they had a mini dynasty! Won a few state championships, had losses in the state championship game, and even had steriod scandals!
Dodge after winning all those games went to North Texas, with mixed results, he is now coaching high school ball in metro Austin if I remember correctly
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

"Mixed results" is being very kind to Todd Dodge's record at N TX State! I followed him as I had friends and relatives that were living in Southlake and were huge Dragons fans.

I think he's at Westlake, where Drew went to HS?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:35 pm "Mixed results" is being very kind to Todd Dodge's record at N TX State! I followed him as I had friends and relatives that were living in Southlake and were huge Dragons fans.

either Westlake or Lake Travis... one of those high powered schools
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:12 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:35 pm "Mixed results" is being very kind to Todd Dodge's record at N TX State! I followed him as I had friends and relatives that were living in Southlake and were huge Dragons fans.

either Westlake or Lake Travis... one of those high powered schools
Dodge is head coach at Westlake--and doing quite well again.
Ruski
Swell

Didn't realize how bad it got under Odom, only 2018 had a good TX haul. Overlooked TX players was Gary Pinkel's recipe for success. Funny how many Missouri born players are now high 3/4 star recruits. Before Mizzou moved to the SEC I don't remember them ranking so prominently.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Ruski wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:39 pm
Didn't realize how bad it got under Odom, only 2018 had a good TX haul. Overlooked TX players was Gary Pinkel's recipe for success. Funny how many Missouri born players are now high 3/4 star recruits. Before Mizzou moved to the SEC I don't remember them ranking so prominently.
Missouri has always had talent since it has 2 of the largest midwest cities, St.Louis and Kansas City(OU). Unfortunately, the top tier talent in Missouri has historically gone to either OU or Ohio State (favorite recruiting grounds for Tressel and Urbs; snagged Zeke from St.Louis). Once Mizzou went to SEC, they were able to retain some of the in state talent, starting with Dorial Green Beckham being the first real 5-star staying in state (Pinkel era). The problem with Odum was he inherited a sanctioned-handicapped program that was dealing with NCAA sanctions + an inept administration that fumbled ncaa student athlete/race related issues.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

After "flushing" Barry...Mizzou now goes to the "drink"
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... head-coach