Line Closes SMU 3.5 pts. > Wave

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

Spread opens SMU 3.5 pts. > Tulane (Rotation nos.413-414 for Vegas sheet)
https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-fo ... las-vegas/

O/U 70 pts.

SMU, 9-2, 5-2 AAC, “body of work” to date:

8/31 – SMU 41, Ark. St. 30
9/7 – SMU 49, N. Texas 27;;
9/14 – SMU 41, Texas St. 17;
9/21 – SMU 41, TCU 38;
9/28 – SMU 48, USF 21;
10/5 – SMU 43, Tulsa 37 (3 OT);
10/19 – SMU 45, Temple 21;
10/24 – SMU 34, UH 31;
11/2 – Memphis 54, SMU 48;
11/9 - SMU 59, ECU 51;
11/23 – Navy 35, SMU 28.

Through November 23, Sagarin now has the Wave ranked 58, SMU 39 (AAC: Memphis 21, UCF 25, Cincy 29, Navy 31, SMU 39, Tulane 58, Temple 66, Houston 69, Tulsa 83) https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/. For Sagarin’s rating system the Wave playing on the road is a 6.92 pt. underdog to the Mustangs.

Like for the last 2 years, probably once again a very close game.
Last edited by Wave755 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RobertM320
Green Wave

4.5 pts seems a little light. I know they give up a bunch of points, but they've only scored less than 41 twice all season, and their lowest is 28. We HAVE to minimize the number of possessions, because if we try and run with them, we're screwed. I'd give them a heavy, heavy dose of Bradwell, Dauphine, Huderson, Jones, and Carroll. Only pass if absolutely necessary.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:09 pm 4.5 pts seems a little light. I know they give up a bunch of points, but they've only scored less than 41 twice all season, and their lowest is 28. We HAVE to minimize the number of possessions, because if we try and run with them, we're screwed. I'd give them a heavy, heavy dose of Bradwell, Dauphine, Huderson, Jones, and Carroll. Only pass if absolutely necessary.
+1, if its a "shoot-out" forget about it. We need a big defensive effort, and a strong running game to win. Navy had 540 total yards against the Ponies, 378 yards on the ground. The Ponies rushed for only 93 yards against Navy but passed for 251 yards. This game is winnable for the Wave We almost always play these guys tough, http://www.winsipedia.com/games/smu/vs/tulane.

Let's hope we are up to the challenge on Saturday. ;)
Wave755
Tsunami

Spread ticked up to 5 pts. now down to 4 pts.? WF teams historically don't quit like those for Toledo & CJ?

Can we run on these guys,🤷‍♂️ SMU gave up 378 yards rushing to Navy? If we can run on the Ponies this could be a barnburner, just like for the 2017 & 2018 games.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

This game is always close between these two teams, we’ll have a shot. There will be pretty low morale around these parts if we end the season on this losing streak. . .
GreenLantern
Riptide

If both Bradwell and Dauphine are scratched, 4 pts is not a big spread.

BTW, I'm a big Cameron Carroll fan and I don't remember hearing his name called in the UCF game. I would like to see him get a lot more touches.
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:19 pm If both Bradwell and Dauphine are scratched, 4 pts is not a big spread.

BTW, I'm a big Cameron Carroll fan and I don't remember hearing his name called in the UCF game. I would like to see him get a lot more touches.
I seem to remember him being in for a play or two, but didn't get any carries.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Every Tulane fan I know has been talking like we're going to get crushed in Dallas. Certainly, if we play like we have the last few games that's a real possibility. I'm still hoping and praying for the game we put it all together, which I don't think we've done to date. I'm very surprised the line is ONLY 4. But IF (and it's a big IF) we put it all together offensively and defensively I could see us winning going away.

We certainly owe SMU a good ass-kicking.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

The Tulane v. SMU series history. http://www.winsipedia.com/smu/vs/tulane

SMU has won the last 4 but we actually still lead the series 13 to 12. And yes, we owe these bastards a good ass kicking!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:56 pm The Tulane v. SMU series history. http://www.winsipedia.com/smu/vs/tulane

SMU has won the last 4 but we actually still lead the series 13 to 12. And yes, we owe these bastards a good ass kicking!
When they were the highest paid team in the NCAA (with Dickerson and James) they beat us by about 70 points. The recent history is just another reason we owe them a big time ass kicking!
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:03 pm
Wave755 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:56 pm The Tulane v. SMU series history. http://www.winsipedia.com/smu/vs/tulane

When they were the highest paid team in the NCAA (with Dickerson and James) they beat us by about 70 points. The recent history is just another reason we owe them a big time ass kicking!
51 to 7 in 1982 was their largest margin of victory over us.
Wave755
Tsunami

Vegas still believes in the "spread beating" Wave. And, now in addition to beating the spread, it would be nice to beat SMU on the scoreboard too. :) Spread went to 5 pts. at one point but now @ 3.5 pts. where it will probably stay.

Let's hope Redshirt Senior Corey Dauphine's last regular season game is a good one. And, I hope Will Hall tries to get him to the edge at least a few times for this game? And, did you notice FIU beat Miami on Saturday 30 to 24? This season began with such promise, so let's hope we can end the regular season for that way too. :thumbup:
Last edited by Wave755 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

FIU beat Miami, and houston would have won 8 games if they kept playing King. Tulsa beat UCF. The narrative we haven’t beaten good teams is stupid.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:11 pm

In 1982, the Ponies had the biggest payroll in Dallas—including the Cowboys. Soon, everything SMU was doing then, will be legal. I can’t wait to see how the chaos unfolds.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:19 pm

In 1982, the Ponies has the biggest payroll in Dallas—including the Cowboys. Soon, everything SMU was doing will be legal. I can’t wait to see how the chaos unfolds.
If memory serves, the games was played in old Texas Stadium...still remember dickerson running over and thru a DB in the end zone
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:39 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:19 pm

In 1982, the Ponies has the biggest payroll in Dallas—including the Cowboys. Soon, everything SMU was doing will be legal. I can’t wait to see how the chaos unfolds.
If memory serves, the games was played in old Texas Stadium...still remember dickerson running over and thru a DB in the end zone

It was in Texas Stadium. I went to get a drink just before kick off, and by the time I got back to my seat SMU had already scored a TD. They went on to rush for over 500 yards on us. It was a long and brutal game. That whole 1982 was a massive disappointment. We had high hopes with Elton Veals our new JUCO hot shot RB. We first lost to Miss St. in the Superdome, which really let the wind out of our sails, then SMU did the autopsy on us--while we were awake. We talk about tough schedules now, that year was a tough schedule; Miss St.; SMU; Rice; Vandy; Georgia Tech; Southern Miss; Memphis; Baylor; Ole Miss; Florida; LSU--now that's a tough schedule. We won four that year Rice, Memphis, Baylor and of course the miracle in Baton Rouge.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

This is a very weird line. Seems Vegas knows something. Perhaps SMU is down after being undefeated and having thoughts of a NY6 bowl. Since then they have little to play for while TU is motivated to improve on last years record and get redemption for two years ago. SMU S stinks but is much better against the run vs pass, which is counter intuitive to the line.
Should be fun.
Happy turkey day all.
greenphantom
Swell

I’m surprised this isn’t double digits. SMU has too many athletes on offense for us to keep up. At home we would have a chance but I don’t see us figuring out our road issues in the final week. Hope I’m wrong.
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenphantom wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:33 pm I’m surprised this isn’t double digits. SMU has too many athletes on offense for us to keep up. At home we would have a chance but I don’t see us figuring out our road issues in the final week. Hope I’m wrong.
This baffles me as well. If I were a betting guy, I'd be all over SMU -3.5. Have to be honest.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Maybe the "smart money" knows we're due to have our annual win in a game we're not expected to win. Or maybe they know something else. But the line moving down for a Tulane team on the road is definitely puzzling.

ROLL WAVE!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The line does appear to be puzzling. These are the things I think could have influenced it. They have played a weaker schedule. Like us they beat the weak teams . The two good teams they played beat them. They have one win against a decent team in Temple. We catch them after playing a physical Navy team and after they lost any chance at winning the division and going to the CCG. As to us its easy to say we have been a bad road team but the tougher portion has been on the road for the most part. Our one loss at home was to the one good team we played here. We desperately need a win to finish strong. Then again they throw it well and we don't defend it all that well. Maybe we finally figure out our pass rush issues. At least we have interest in it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:14 pm Maybe the "smart money" knows we're due to have our annual win in a game we're not expected to win. Or maybe they know something else. But the line moving down for a Tulane team on the road is definitely puzzling.

ROLL WAVE!
The only thing I can come up with to explain the spread is Navy rushed for 378 yards? I would hope WF & Will Hall will hit SMU with everything we have for our fine group of running backs. This is our last regular season game? If we can move the ball on the ground & control time of possession, then this will be a close game. ;)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

FWIW: Joey Galloway, whom is 20-5 on his "lock picks" this year, just picked SMU -3 over Tulane on ESPN.

Let's hope we can show him wrong and wrangle the Ponies!

ROLL WAVE!
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:00 pm FWIW: Joey Galloway, whom is 20-5 on his "lock picks" this year, just picked SMU -3 over Tulane on ESPN.

Let's hope we can show him wrong and wrangle the Ponies!

ROLL WAVE!
He said the score may be 65-60, but SMU will cover.
RobertM320
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:02 pm
He said the score may be 65-60, but SMU will cover.
So take the over? :idea: :2thumbs: