Bowl Plans

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

swampnik wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:28 am
Wave755 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:02 am CBS Sports now has us playing Miami in the Birmingham Bowl! :D https://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/bowls/predictions

Please God!🙏🏻
Yes! Time for revenge for the 5th down play that gave Miami a W years ago at their pace. Also, FIU just beat the Hurricanes this year. Great way to end 7-6.
We got that revenge when Curci was coaching Kentucky and we had back to back PI penalties to get in position and kick the winning field goal...

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Wave755
Tsunami

We last played Florida State in 1992, 27 years ago. We lost 77 to 7. We are all-time 0 -10 versus the Seminoles (We had to forfeit the 34 to 28 win in 1983 after Wally English's son was ruled ineligible) . http://www.winsipedia.com/tulane/vs/florida-state

We last played Miami in 1978, 41 years ago. We won 20 to 16. We are all-time 5-1-6 against the Canes. http://www.winsipedia.com/tulane/vs/miami-fl

I welcome a game against either in the Birmingham or any other bowl.
Last edited by Wave755 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:03 am
Wave755 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:02 am CBS Sports now has us playing Miami in the Birmingham Bowl! :D https://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/bowls/predictions

Please God!🙏🏻
Yes! Time for revenge for the 5th down play that gave Miami a W years ago at their pace. Also, FIU just beat the Hurricanes this year. Great way to end 7-6.
We got that revenge when Curci was coaching Kentucky and we had back to back PI penalties to get in position and kick the winning field goal...
That really was sweet revenge. If I remember correctly, the play where the second PI call was made, and the next play when we kicked the winning FG, were both run with zero time on the clock. Nicky Hall just threw the ball as far as he could on both plays, and the crazy Kentucky DBs just blatantly interfered. At that time, a PI call got the ball placed at the point of the foul, They later limited PI calls to a max of 15 yards. That change in the rule was partly driven by Tulane's uncanny ability to force PI calls on deep passes--back when Tulane WRs Mark Zeno and before him Wayne? Smith routinely extracted PI calls on deep passes.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:44 am We last played Florida State in 1992, 27 years ago. We lost 77 to 7. We are all-time 0 -10 versus the Seminoles (We had to forfeit the 34 to 28 win in 1983 after Wally English's son was ruled ineligible) . http://www.winsipedia.com/tulane/vs/florida-state

We last played Miami in 1978, 41 years ago. We won 20 to 16. We are all-time 5-1-6 against the Canes. http://www.winsipedia.com/tulane/vs/miami-fl

I welcome a game against either in the Birmingham or any other bowl.
We are officially 0-10 against Fla. State, even though we actually beat them on the field in 1983. We ended up having to forfeit that game because of the Wally and Jon English vs NCAA fiasco. We later were on the receiving end of a forced forfeiture, when Alabama had to forfeit a game to us a few years later.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:58 am

Please God!🙏🏻
That really was sweet revenge. If I remember correctly, the play where the second PI call was made, and the next play when we kicked the winning FG, were both run with zero time on the clock. Nicky Hall just threw the ball as far as he could on both plays, and the crazy Kentucky DBs just blatantly interfered. At that time, a PI call got the ball placed at the point of the foul, They later limited PI calls to a max of 15 yards. That change in the rule was partly driven by Tulane's uncanny ability to force PI calls on deep passes--back when Tulane WRs Mark Zeno and before him Wayne? Smith routinely extracted PI calls on deep passes.
It really was sweet revenge and I believe you are correct about there being no time left for either of the last two plays.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:53 pm

Please God!🙏🏻
It really was sweet revenge and I believe you are correct about there being no time left for either of the last two plays.
Here is a great article on both the 1980 Kentucky game and the infamous 1972 "Fifth Down" game against Miami. https://tulane.rivals.com/news/1980-tul ... entucky-22

And, for the 1972 Miami game I believe Bennie Ellender had a timeout left he didn't use which could have been called before Miami ran its infamous fifth down for a touchdown. :shhh:🤷‍♂️
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

When a team forfeits a game the other team doesn't get a win if they lost on the field. The win is abandoned.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

IIRC in the past the NCAA did forfeit games and thus the other program was credited with the win. Now the tendency seems to be for them to vacate wins meaning only that the win was taken away. and the other team is not credited with the win.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I really wish we scheduled FSU non conference. They would jump at the chance to come to New Orleans and recruit. Their fans and students move New Orleans and come all the time. . .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:05 pm I really wish we scheduled FSU non conference. They would jump at the chance to come to New Orleans and recruit. Their fans and students move New Orleans and come all the time. . .
We should play FSU regularly in as many sports as possible. I remember watching Yaz Jr. playing for the Seminoles in baseball in the early/mid 80's. And I was at the game in the Dome when we beat them on the gridiron. Elton Veals, who lived down the hall from me in Monroe (dorm) was the reason we won that game. FSU, coming off of a win versus Florida, easily had as many fans in the Dome as Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They did and it was fun to gloat in front of them. Great night.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:57 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:05 pm I really wish we scheduled FSU non conference. They would jump at the chance to come to New Orleans and recruit. Their fans and students move New Orleans and come all the time. . .
We should play FSU regularly in as many sports as possible. I remember watching Yaz Jr. playing for the Seminoles in baseball in the early/mid 80's. And I was at the game in the Dome when we beat them on the gridiron. Elton Veals, who lived down the hall from me in Monroe (dorm) was the reason we won that game. FSU, coming off of a win versus Florida, easily had as many fans in the Dome as Tulane.
Veals was a stud, with break away speed. He was like a cross between Bradwell and Dauphine. Another reason we won that FSU game was the 95 yard Pick 6 that we had--I can't remember the DBs name.
Wave QB
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:27 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:12 pm
Wave755 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:38 pm 247 now has us playing Miami in the Independence Bowl? 🤷🏻‍♂️https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 58803/Amp/
I'd take this. FIU just beat them a couple of weeks ago.
Yep, I hope it happens. They are beatable and Shreveport is a mere 4 hour drive from anywhere in Metropolitan New Orleans. Miami is ACC and they have a name, Liberty doesn’t. ;) And, I can’t image we will not be sky high for the game, just as we were sky high for FIU to begin the season. Anything we can do to make this happen, we should do to make it happen. And, I think Miami will want this game too.🤞🏻
I would love to play Miami in Shreveport. I hope it happens.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I was shocked when in Tallahassee for business how many students made the road trip to New Orleans 4+ times per SEMESTER. It was Miami and New Orleans that was almost an even split
swampnik
Surge

Wave755 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:45 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:53 pm

Please God!🙏🏻
Here is a great article on both the 1980 Kentucky game and the infamous 1972 "Fifth Down" game against Miami. https://tulane.rivals.com/news/1980-tul ... entucky-22

And, for the 1972 Miami game I believe Bennie Ellender had a timeout left he didn't use which could have been called before Miami ran its infamous fifth down for a touchdown. :shhh:🤷‍♂️
1980 with 42k in the Dome against the Wildcats was a very good crowd then. I was in the Dome for the 89 or 90 game against Florida State and I think the attendance was 33k. The Wave and Catholic NOLA only brought in 42k for the 1966 game against
Notre Dame in Tulane Stadium that finished 41-0 for the Irish.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:02 am I was shocked when in Tallahassee for business how many students made the road trip to New Orleans 4+ times per SEMESTER. It was Miami and New Orleans that was almost an even split
4x per semester??

That's hard to believe. As much as New Orleans is an attraction, that's got to be an inflated number. I didn't get 100 miles out of New Orleans more than 1x a semester, if that.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Many of the student at FSU are their to party not for scholastic enrichment and their studies. I will rephrase my past post by saying “some” fsu students went to New Orleans many times per semester. FSU kids party Hard, it reminded me of New Orleans & Tulane . . Just without the city, culture, music, food and academics ;)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:47 am Many of the student at FSU are their to party not for scholastic enrichment and their studies. I will rephrase my past post by saying “some” fsu students went to New Orleans many times per semester. FSU kids party Hard, it reminded me of New Orleans & Tulane . . Just without the city, culture, music, food and academics ;)
I know the FSU Cheerleaders and dance team came to New Orleans for Mardi Gras one year during my years at Tulane. They needed a place to stay, and somehow me and my fraternity brothers accommodated them. And we didn't have a house, so it ended up being one or two of them at various houses uptown. One of the best memories of my years at Tulane!
Wave755
Tsunami

247 now has us playing Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl? Damn, who knows???!!!🤷🏻‍♂️
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 99632/Amp/

We should have our answer shorty.😎
Last edited by Wave755 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:34 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:47 am Many of the student at FSU are their to party not for scholastic enrichment and their studies. I will rephrase my past post by saying “some” fsu students went to New Orleans many times per semester. FSU kids party Hard, it reminded me of New Orleans & Tulane . . Just without the city, culture, music, food and academics ;)
I know the FSU Cheerleaders and dance team came to New Orleans for Mardi Gras one year during my years at Tulane. They needed a place to stay, and somehow me and my fraternity brothers accommodated them. And we didn't have a house, so it ended up being one or two of them at various houses uptown. One of the best memories of my years at Tulane!

Hahaha, amazing . . . Do go on
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Miami is probably our bowl opponent.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 am Miami is probably our bowl opponent.
Our first meeting since 1978, 41 years ago?🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:30 am
tpstulane wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 am Miami is probably our bowl opponent.
Our first meeting since 1978, 41 years ago?🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
Wow, depressing how fast the years go by. I was at that game—it was just before the Miami program blew up into a national power.
Wave755
Tsunami

247’s projections for Miami: https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 86544/Amp/
The Canes would be a great consolation prize for us considering how disappointing was the second half of our season.

Most of the bowl selections will be announced @ about 11:00 a.m. CST.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:39 am 247’s projections for Miami: https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 86544/Amp/
The Canes would be a great consolation prize for us considering how disappointing was the second half of our season.

Most of the bowl selections will be announced @ about 11:00 a.m. CST.
That would be a big prize for the Wave. Doesn’t Aresco need to know whether Memphis gets into the Cotton Bowl, before he can assign bowls to all the other AAC teams? Hopefully everyone moves up a notch.