Memphis Dominates Tulane 47-17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:47 am Words to soothe the troubled football soul:
  • Last year we were 2-5 and yet finished the season as co-champions of the west. Everyone wanted to run the Fritz staff out of town. This year we are 5-2 and 2-1 in the AAC.
  • Last year we lost at Houston 48-17 yet were able to regroup and defeat Navy the following week. This year we lose to Memphis 47-17 and once more play Navy the following week.
All things remain possible. You were teasing yourself if you thought we would run the table against our remaining schedule. You were hopelessly optimisic to think this was an 11-1 season. Remember, Tulane has a long and storied history of soiling the bed once or twice each season. We are also capable of defeating a team we shouldn't. This is all a process. Step back from the ledge.
The problem is that last year we had the tough part of the schedule up front and the weak part on the back end. It's reversed this year. The good news is if we finish strong it will show this game was just a clunker rather than one that exposed us.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 am To those who obsessed about rankings and started this nonsense about who will be the next coach
and OC, I say :" Get Over It". Now that we are playing some good programs, I see two wins if we are lucky maybe just one. Hope I am wrong but this game proved we simply do not have the athletes we need in this conference.
To those who share the above sentiment: More of a reason to have hoped we cracked the top 25 in past weeks. Cracking the Top 25 would be a bat signal to Tulane fans across the country, and something to show new boosters and recruits. Like it or not polls get casual fans in the stadium and following the program.

Memphis was fired up, should have been a top 20 undefeated team and we were playing them @ their place. They have had started slow in many games this year (see @ temple), and The momentum of the game shifted dramatically after they were bailed out on those first two drives. That’s the ball game.

The Navy game will be a BATTLE and always is. We’ll come out fired up after being embarrassed but will have to fight a very good navy team and their officials. 3-2 would be a good finish to the year, 4-1 would be a great finish ! The West is still in play.
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:47 am
GreenLantern wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:47 am Words to soothe the troubled football soul:
  • Last year we were 2-5 and yet finished the season as co-champions of the west. Everyone wanted to run the Fritz staff out of town. This year we are 5-2 and 2-1 in the AAC.
  • Last year we lost at Houston 48-17 yet were able to regroup and defeat Navy the following week. This year we lose to Memphis 47-17 and once more play Navy the following week.
All things remain possible. You were teasing yourself if you thought we would run the table against our remaining schedule. You were hopelessly optimisic to think this was an 11-1 season. Remember, Tulane has a long and storied history of soiling the bed once or twice each season. We are also capable of defeating a team we shouldn't. This is all a process. Step back from the ledge.
The problem is that last year we had the tough part of the schedule up front and the weak part on the back end. It's reversed this year. The good news is if we finish strong it will show this game was just a clunker rather than one that exposed us.
Vegas believed we were for real, the spread closed @ 2 points. The Navy game is crucial now for where we are going for this season. I remember in 1973 after we beat LSU 14 to 0, we then went on to the Bluebonnet Bowl @ the AstroDome and were humiliated by Houston 47 to 7. I have lived this roller coaster for 50 years now.

Stay cool, tomorrow is another day, & we still are 5-2, a result after 7 games any of us would have accepted before this season began.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We looked like crap. MSU had the best 5 players on the field almost every play, and we're NOT without talent. We just didn't play well in any phase of the game. I got so disgusted I couldn't watch a good portion of the second half. If we don't play better (and clearly we can play better) we won't win again.

Monday the sun will come up, and hopefully the Wave will get back to work. I'd like to see our best played game of the season in Annapolis next Saturday.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

This game was a reality check for many , if not all, of the Players. The Navy game will tell us all we need to know about this years Tulane team...ya never as bad as your last loss, and U sure as hell are not as good as your last win. This team needed a reality wake up call...and got it....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave QB
Swell

This was a very ugly and embarrassing loss, but I do agree with Eaglewave as far as us being a different program. Being 5-2 at this point of the season is a big deal. We still have plenty of football left.
Wave QB
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:58 pm This game was a reality check for many , if not all, of the Players. The Navy game will tell us all we need to know about this years Tulane team...ya never as bad as your last loss, and U sure as hell are not as good as your last win. This team needed a reality wake up call...and got it....

The reality is we are a better football program than the past few seasons, but we aren’t a top 25 team yet. After the many disappointments in the past, that sentence says a lot about what Fritz has done. Now, we are about to see if we have what it takes to bounce back.
Bigschtick
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:44 am
Hornetswave wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:32 am i am depress this morning in a matter of one game i feel like the season is over,

roll wave
Cheer up Hornet, the season isn’t over yet—but last night could be the start of a slippery slope. Let’s hope not.
I hope not too. But, all our victories so far have been against programs that are weak like UConn or Missouri State or turned out to be overrated like FIU and Army who lost yesterday to Ga. State.We have a killer schedule ahead against teams as strong as Memphis if not stronger. If we can beat Navy and Tulsa, we can at least get a bowl to help with recruiting.
This Navy game is a must victory. I realize that just one win gets us a bowl but
Beating Navy rights the ship somewhat.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:28 pm
Hornetswave wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:32 am i am depress this morning in a matter of one game i feel like the season is over,

roll wave
Cheer up Hornet, the season isn’t over yet—but last night could be the start of a slippery slope. Let’s hope not.
I hope not too. But, all our victories so far have been against programs that are weak like UConn or Missouri State or turned out to be overrated like FIU and Army who lost yesterday to Ga. State.We have a killer schedule ahead against teams as strong as Memphis if not stronger. If we can beat Navy and Tulsa, we can at least get a bowl to help with recruiting.
This Navy game is a must victory. I realize that just one win gets us a bowl but
I look at the remaing games, I see L's at Cincy, Temple and UCF....Toss Up at Navy...and maybe a tuff W' vs Tulsa.....and in my mind, Tulsa has the type of "O" to beat Tulane..so at best a 2-3 finish=, 7-5
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:39 pm

roll wave
I look at teh remaing games, I see L's at Cincy, Temple and UCF....Toss Up at Navy...and maybe W's against ECU and Tulsa.....and in my mind, Tulsa has the type of "O" to beat Tulane..so I see at 2-3 finish, 7-5
One problem, Chief, we don't play East Carolina this year. :-x
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:44 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:39 pm

roll wave
I look at teh remaing games, I see L's at Cincy, Temple and UCF....Toss Up at Navy...and maybe W's against ECU and Tulsa.....and in my mind, Tulsa has the type of "O" to beat Tulane..so I see at 2-3 finish, 7-5
One problem, Chief, we don't play East Carolina this year. :-x
U are correct..I ammended my post L's vs Cincy, Temple, UCF, SMU.... a maybe at Navy and a hard fought W vs Tulsa at best a 2-3 finish 7-5 overall
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Every game from here is a coin flip based on an aggregate of how badly our players want it, our coaches can prepare them, injuries and our game plan. Here is what I know: we have the talent and a team of coaches who are next level. With that being said: we could run the table or only win a single game. Stfu, strap yourself in and let’s support the team.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Keep preachin brother.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm watching the 2nd half of the Memphis game, and have to say it's not easy to do so. Their RB, Kenny Gainwell, (a RS Frosh) is better than any we have in our deep stable of running backs. He became the first RB in 22 years in FBS to have 200 yards receiving and 100 rushing. And this is torture to watch, Tulane absolutely sucked on Saturday. The score doesn't indicate how badly we were dominated, giving up points on each of the first SEVEN possessions. We must play better. I'm confident we will.

As I've said, we're going to have a game where we put it all together and blow some pretty good team away.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Larry Holder from the Athletic made the trip to Memphis:

https://theathletic.com/1307255/2019/10 ... t-memphis/