Who's next if we lose WF and Hall

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Forever TU wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:08 am
RobertM320 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:42 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:14 pm Wish there was a Tulane bus group making the game.

BTW, not a lot of discussion this week about the fact that Will Hall was the OC at Memphis last year. Wonder how much insight he can contribute.
I don't think he was the OC at Memphis last season. Just the TE coach.
Yes he was their TE coach.
That's correct. Memphis is where we have to worry bout losing Hall to if Ole Miss plucks Norvell.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

We’re gonna lose Fritz or Hall eventually which is not a bad thing because it means we’re winning. Just need to make good hires.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:34 am We’re gonna lose Fritz or Hall eventually which is not a bad thing because it means we’re winning. Just need to make good hires.
Fritz can find another Hall if we lose him. If we lose Fritz, we promote Hall. The fear is losing both at the same time. Curtis would certainly deserve consideration, he's done a hell of a job. I just hope we continue to have an OC that will run an up-tempo and dynamic offense. That's critical in the AAC.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:42 am
greenie78 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:34 am We’re gonna lose Fritz or Hall eventually which is not a bad thing because it means we’re winning. Just need to make good hires.
Fritz can find another Hall if we lose him. If we lose Fritz, we promote Hall. The fear is losing both at the same time. Curtis would certainly deserve consideration, he's done a hell of a job. I just hope we continue to have an OC that will run an up-tempo and dynamic offense. That's critical in the AAC.
Rich Rod may be looking for a job soon...in fact the complete Ole Miss staff may be on the market
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:00 am
Rich Rod may be looking for a job soon...in fact the complete Ole Miss staff may be on the market
No interest in 2019. That train has come and gone.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:03 am
I guess Mack Brown did not get the message
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:03 am
In 1998 RichRod was 3 to 4 years ahead of the game, but the game quite some time ago caught up to RichRod.

1998 was "lightning in a bottle"; Cowen smashed the bottle into a thousand pieces. End of story
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Probably deserves it owns topic but The Athletic listed fritz as one of the hottest hires this offseason and listed Vanderbilt as the most likely suitor.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The topic keeps creeping into other threads so let's give it its own thread. .

Napier would be a name to be near the top of the list. As to RR he should be considered too. No one can blame him for the prior turn down after what that administration had done to him. At this point maybe he's wise enough to see that he can always get the skill position players he needs to make his system work. Holtz is another name to consider. He has proven he can win at this level. Plus there will be a whole host of young OC's interested if this season continues on its current path of success.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 am Probably deserves it owns topic but The Athletic listed fritz as one of the hottest hires this offseason and listed Vanderbilt as the most likely suitor.
That may be correct..but Vandy ?.....WF is heaven made for Kansas State, Texas Tech, or Arkansas but those jobs will not be open for at least the next two to three years
TURVS71
Swell

IMO, not necessary to bring this up now.......,reminds me of our OLD mentality,,,,,,,,Already thinking he will leave.....
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TURVS71 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:30 am IMO, not necessary to bring this up now.......,reminds me of our OLD mentality,,,,,,,,Already thinking he will leave.....
a plus 1 from me.... WF loves Sal's sno balls and Short Stop Po-Boys to much to leave
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well it's out there and being posted about on many threads. So might as well have it in one spot. Nothing to do with the past. We are having success and there are schools that can offer a lot more than us. No one is saying it's automatic based on Fritz'age but it is a topic.
NOLA Fan
Ripple

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:33 am
TURVS71 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:30 am IMO, not necessary to bring this up now.......,reminds me of our OLD mentality,,,,,,,,Already thinking he will leave.....
a plus 1 from me.... WF loves Sal's sno balls and Short Stop Po-Boys to much to leave
I agree. WF has got his system in place. Skill players available w/i 5-6 hours of campus, coach up 3's with a good staff, fill the holes by playing the NCAA transfer portal like a piano by offering grad seniors a grad degree from Tulane & finally, let your coaches coach.
If he can build a fan base to a solid 15-20K, he knows he can win here.
I think......hope he stays.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:43 am The article:

https://theathletic.com/1293876/2019/10 ... s-to-know/
The Rutgers job will be filled by Greg Schiano and the USC job by the Urban Legend, since I did not pay for the complete article, those are the only two schools mentioned in the amount of content presented
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Fritz to Vandy makes some sense. Why wouldn’t Hall be the TU replacement?
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:16 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 am Probably deserves it owns topic but The Athletic listed fritz as one of the hottest hires this offseason and listed Vanderbilt as the most likely suitor.
That may be correct..but Vandy ?.....WF is heaven made for Kansas State, Texas Tech, or Arkansas but those jobs will not be open for at least the next two to three years
Mentioning Vandy is just lazy reporting on the part of the writer. Fritz is showing he has a plan for winning at a school where academics comes first, so they automatically mention Vandy. Fritz will only get one shot at a P5 job. Why take Vandy when if he keeps winning here, better ones will come along. And anything not in the SEC would be better.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Fritz wouldn't be an extra high profile hire for any high end P5, so, if he left, it would be for a program that is/was the equivalent of Tulane in its conference (i.e. bottom half of league or perpetual 50/50 on bowl eligibility type program). Because that is the case, this entire discussion henges on what jobs all come open as the best jobs pick their hires first (i.e. USC).

However, there are quite a few G5 coaches (even outside the AAC) that have a done a superb job to the point where Fritz is likely not the first or second choice for any program potentially making a change this offseason, and, unless Tulane finishes in the top 25 of the final AP poll, that seems unlikely to change.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:32 pm Fritz to Vandy makes some sense. Why wouldn’t Hall be the TU replacement?
He would be many of our first choices. This thread though is about the possibility of both leaving. Hall could be considered at Ole Miss among others.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:43 am The article:

https://theathletic.com/1293876/2019/10 ... s-to-know/
The athletic article says Vandy would be a good landing place for fritz and a team that would go after him. He was also named the #2 most underrated coach in the country by his peers, and ESPN writer Bill C had a big shout out about the job he has done. I would hope we could fend off Vandy, but you never know. Vandy fans would probably say: he’s excellent at rebuilds, doing more with less, he recruited well to another elite University with Academic standards, he has some recruiting knowledge in the region (although he mostly recruits Georgia/Mississippi/Louisiana/Texas).

If (god forbid) we weren’t able to keep him this year (I think we will), would you offer the job to Hall ? Prudent minds would probably say: conduct a quick interview process with Hall being a candidate.
TURVS71
Swell

Underrated? What the hell does that even mean? Underrated to what? He is just now emerging at Tulane.. Underrated in pay? Makes more than any other coach of football at Tulane. Same for his assistants? Underrated? I think not. Wait until season concludes.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
galvezwave
Swell

Tulane has a higher ceiling than vandy. 6 wins with a weak OOC schedule is the best they can do. Give or take a win or a loss. He will springboard to an opportunity where he can win on the highest level and recruit on an even playing field.
wave97
Swell

Let President Fitts & TD earn their money
We have an Athletics friendly admin & board.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

galvezwave wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:11 pm Tulane has a higher ceiling than vandy. 6 wins with a weak OOC schedule is the best they can do. Give or take a win or a loss. He will springboard to an opportunity where he can win on the highest level and recruit on an even playing field.
Well, James Franklin had Vanderbilt finish in the final AP top 25 in back to back years (his 2nd and 3rd year there no less) prior to him leaving for Penn State, so Vanderbilt can achieve that and potentially maintain it.