Who's next if we lose WF and Hall

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We thought a even mediocre offense with a last years very good defense would deliver us to 8 wins (I believe that was my prediction).

We ended with an above average offense (debatable) and an average defense (also debatable).

Unfortunately our entire league got better and our defense regressed (nonsensically).

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Costly penalties killed many drives. That along with inconsistent QB play needs to improve to make strides for next season.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:35 am Costly penalties killed many drives. That along with inconsistent QB play needs to improve to make strides for next season.
With our QB play we couldn't overcome too many 1st or 2nd and 20's. But even more surprising was the step backwards our D took. As the year progressed our D line (and I know part of it was injuries to limit the rotation) seemed to become less and less effective. It certainly did NOT live up to the pre-season hype. Top 10 in the FBS was what we were supposed to be. I'm not sure we were top 10 in the AAC.

If we can play a complete four quarters in the bowl game, we should absolutely blow out USM. If we don't start playing until the later stages of the 2nd quarter (as we did most of the year), we'll give USM a fighting chance. USM is going to come out fired up and ready to play. We need to have at least as much intensity as they show up with. It's on the coaches to get a complete game out of this team, something they did not do all season.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I’m confident we’ll beat USM. But even more excited for next year despite what we lose
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:40 pm I’m confident we’ll beat USM. But even more excited for next year despite what we lose
Without knowing our QB status for 2020 it is impossible to be optimistic , or pessimistic . Without a proven Grad Transfer QB the 2020 season seems to be leaning pessimistic for us .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenLantern
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:41 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:40 pm I’m confident we’ll beat USM. But even more excited for next year despite what we lose
Without knowing our QB status for 2020 it is impossible to be optimistic , or pessimistic . Without a proven Grad Transfer QB the 2020 season seems to be leaning pessimistic for us .
Trust in Willie. Willie will provide.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

In willie I do trust. Our QB position has gotten better every year he’s been here (just not as much improvement as we would have liked). I like what has been said about Keon Howard, and Pratt and there is no doubt we’ll get another transfer. I trust that Hall will do a good job in selling us to QB recruits as well.
RobertM320
Green Wave

UCF played last season with a freshman QB. Any number of schools do every year and have success. I think saying we need a grad transfer QB in order to be successful next season is shortchanging the two guys that just signed. I know Ibieta didn't play at a high classification but Pratt did. Pratt's the best QB we've signed since Willie arrived. He's competed and been successful at Florida's top level, and has shown he doesn't back down from competition by transferring last season to a school with a very good returning starter at QB, whom he then beat out.

Let's wait and see what happens in the spring before we cry that we don't have a QB.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
anEngineer
Riptide

I believe Pratt has graduated and will be on board for the Spring semester. If true, that would make him a bit more than a true freshman.
RobertM320
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:35 am I believe Pratt has graduated and will be on board for the Spring semester. If true, that would make him a bit more than a true freshman.
Yes, he is scheduled to enroll. But he'll still be a true freshman. Participating in spring will put him ahead of Ibieta, though.

I'm going to say it now, I won't be shocked if Pratt is our starting QB before the season ends.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As I've posted before Pratt pulled a ballsy move transferring to a school with an incumbent starter and winning the job. He's clearly not afraid of competition. He is coming in the spring which is very important. That importance not only includes his development but also putting heat on Howard. I expect he will play if we don't bring in a grad transfer. It wouldn't be shocking to see him start before the season ends but it would mean we had a disappointing season. Hope that doesn't happen.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'd like to see Howard get some snaps in the bowl game versus his former team. I would also hope his age, experience and knowledge of the offense help him become a decent QB in Hall's system. Ball protection was his issue at USM (from what I've read). But he's got talent and experience, we can only hope that maturity solves that issue.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I didn’t say we needed a grad transfer To be successful next year. But a grad transfer from a P5 or Legit G5 who knows he has a shot to come in and start next year would be EXCELLENT for depth and competition.
Let’s stick with that UCF comparison, they had Mack and Wimbush (ND grad transfer) competing with the True freshman. The true freshman won, but man we need as many quality QB’s as possible.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 pm just when ya thought the madeness was over.....anotha' openning
https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/01 ... candidates

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -2-seasons
If Mississippi State hired Fritz, Morehead would be on my short list. Then again, I've always liked Morehead!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 pm just when ya thought the madeness was over.....anotha' openning
https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/01 ... candidates

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -2-seasons
Wow. That’s something.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

Well , coach made it known he’s available so...
GreenLantern
Riptide

Well, another job is about to open according to all the locals here in DFW. Jason Garrett of the Dallas ka-Boys is gone according to everyone in the know, which happens to be anyone you talk to. The morning paper had a list of candidates who should be considered by 78-year-old and arguably senile Jerry Jones.

Here's the list and why Jones should hire them in the order presented by the newspaper:
  1. Dabo Swinney - because he's won two national championships
  2. Bill Belichick - because he has nothing left to prove in New England and these guys are the Dallas ka-Boys
  3. Nick Saban-because he failed at Miami and should be dying to redeem himself at Dallas
  4. Urban Meyer - because he once said he would like to coach Dallas
  5. Sean Peyton - Because he's had success in lowly NOLA and is ready for a newer house in Southlake, Dallas
  6. Willie Fritz - Just kidding about Willie, but the post had to have something to make it relevant to the topic's subject (and he's just about as likely to be hired as any of the other names mentioned in the article)
Last edited by GreenLantern on Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:22 pm Well, another job is about to open according to all the locals here in DFW. Jason Garrett of the Dallas ka-Boys is gone according to everyone in the know, which happens to be anyone you talk to. The morning paper had a list of candidates who should be considered by 78-year-old and arguably senile Jerry Jones.

Here's the list and why Jones should hire them in the order presented by the newspaper:
  1. Dabo Swinney - because he's won two national championships
  2. Bill Belichick - because he has nothing left to prove in New England and these guys are the Dallas ka-Boys
  3. Nick Saban-because he failed at Miami and should be dying to redeem himself at Dallas
  4. Urban Meyer - because he once said he would like to coach Dallas
  5. Sean Peyton - Because he's had success in lowly NOLA and is ready for a newer house in Southlake, Dallas
  6. Willie Fritz - Just kidding about Willie, but the post had to have something to make it relevant to the topic's subject
Peyton...knows better than to go to Dallas, he has input in NOLA, he won't have it in JerryWorld

The big winner(?) will be Urban...the Hemmroid and the Anus, will be joined, Preperation H, be damned
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Nappier turned down Miss State- Ouch. Losing 3 games by a total of 14 points may end up being a blessing in disguise for Tulane. Miss state will probably sniff around Bill Clark and some big name retreads. There really won’t be any competition for Willy for another 3 years (Besides maybe Vandy).
Show Me
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:50 pm Nappier turned down Miss State- Ouch. Losing 3 games by a total of 14 points may end up being a blessing in disguise for Tulane. Miss state will probably sniff around Bill Clark and some big name retreads. There really won’t be any competition for Willy for another 3 years (Besides maybe Vandy).
He just signed a two year extension a couple of days ago. I guess he’s a man of his word.
A big win tomorrow could help Willie move up the ladder.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

So I’ll be hoping for a narrow win. I still think there are too many bigger names and Miss State fans would go crazy if they hired a below .500 Tulane coach
Jaxwave
Swell

New FSU coach Norvell has hired two ex Tulane coaches, RB coach David Johnson and OK coach Alex Atkins.
galvezwave
Swell

Fritz ain’t getting that job. He needs to win 9 or 10 if he wants one of those . Get it done coach! I’d love for you to earn one of those fancy jobs .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There's a University in South Bend, IN, whose alumni would LOVE for their coach to leave for another P5 job or the NFL. Don't believe me? Here's their board that's similar to YOGWF:

https://ndnation.com/boards/index.php?football

They don't like posts that desecrate the "sanctity of Notre Dame." Yet there's no shortage of anti-Kelly posts. The alumni hate that Kelly regularly throws the players under the bus when they don't win, yet talks about how well they executed the game plan (patting himself and his assistants on the back) when they win. And ND Alumni expect to play for an National Championship and don not think Brian Kelly will EVER take them their.
Last edited by DfromCT on Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.