Who's next if we lose WF and Hall

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
chain gang x man
Swell

Tim Rebowe turned Nichols around and world love to more up

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:29 pm IMHO, Fritz and/or Hall would be crazy to not consider other higher level jobs if offered. With no QB ready to step in, the losses at WR and the weak OL, I’m not real confident we can avoid a step backward next year.
I don't disagree at all. I just don't know that either has put enough on their resumes YET at Tulane.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Sunamiwave
High Tide

People on the other board are saying that Fritz's agent planted the news of him being a hot commodity in coaching searches with Bruce Feldman in order to get a raise from Tulane. I think the yoggies are right on this one and that Fritz's agent is up to no good. I do not see why Tulane would give Fritz a raise when this past season failed to meet expectations. No P5 school can justify hiring Fritz to their fans and donors based on a 6 and 6 record at Tulane.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Sunamiwave wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:17 pm People on the other board are saying that Fritz's agent planted the news of him being a hot commodity in coaching searches with Bruce Feldman in order to get a raise from Tulane. I think the yoggies are right on this one and that Fritz's agent is up to no good. I do not see why Tulane would give Fritz a raise when this past season failed to meet expectations. No P5 school can justify hiring Fritz to their fans and donors based on a 6 and 6 record at Tulane.
I would give Fritz a raise, not a big one, more like a contract extension, but I would make sure there is a substantial buyout in there.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:17 pm People on the other board are saying that Fritz's agent planted the news of him being a hot commodity in coaching searches with Bruce Feldman in order to get a raise from Tulane. I think the yoggies are right on this one and that Fritz's agent is up to no good. I do not see why Tulane would give Fritz a raise when this past season failed to meet expectations. No P5 school can justify hiring Fritz to their fans and donors based on a 6 and 6 record at Tulane.
I can see how one might think that way but 6 wins got Mack the UNC job. But to be honest if it's Fritz' agent putting it out there it might be so that other schools take a look at him. He has talked a lot more this year about how tough it is to win here. We'll see soon enough.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Hall, Fritz whoever, they aint happy here, show um the door. Fritz trying to weasel more money cause of some P5 interest, screw um. Don"t pay a dime more for this crappy season. Hall was not the second coming! Such complete nonsense.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:06 am Hall, Fritz whoever, they aint happy here, show um the door. Fritz trying to weasel more money cause of some P5 interest, screw um. Don"t pay a dime more for this crappy season. Hall was not the second coming! Such complete nonsense.
a plus one for me...but i do think Hall was somewhat limited by WF... 1-5 down the stretch, fi Pee Wee Herman in Austin fired both OC and DC for going 7-5...WF needs to get a large azz broom also...and start with the OL coach
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If coaches are going to go it should be the DC and the WR coach. The OL is still a weakness which is why we have put such an emphasis on them in this recruiting class. However while still subpar they weren't as bad this season as they had been. It was Kennedy's first year with the group.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
McWave
High Tide

A raise will not keep WF here it a P5 comes calling. TU is not going to match the comp of a P5, the length of the initial contract , and guaranteed money. So why give his a raise for a mediocre season.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Lots of people think WF wouldn't jump ship for a better opportunity, or that he is our man until we decide to go in a different direction. The only coach I've ever known to not want to climb the coaching ranks is probably JT Curtis. Just sayin'.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Fritz doesn't deserve a raise or extension based on this season. However, I wouldn't be opposed to a slight increase and one year extension, IF he can deliver the recruiting class that we have lined up. Wait until after the bowl game, and more importantly the early signing date, before deciding on a raise or extension.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:37 am Fritz doesn't deserve a raise or extension based on this season. However, I wouldn't be opposed to a slight increase and one year extension, IF he can deliver the recruiting class that we have lined up. Wait until after the bowl game, and more importantly the early signing date, before deciding on a raise or extension.
A minor raise or a minor extension isn't really worth it, and it doesn't really make sense to wait until after the bowl game since that really won't make a difference either way.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:19 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:37 am Fritz doesn't deserve a raise or extension based on this season. However, I wouldn't be opposed to a slight increase and one year extension, IF he can deliver the recruiting class that we have lined up. Wait until after the bowl game, and more importantly the early signing date, before deciding on a raise or extension.
A minor raise or a minor extension isn't really worth it, and it doesn't really make sense to wait until after the bowl game since that really won't make a difference either way.
An extension, even one year, does make a difference. And anything we might offer up should be dependent on the recruiting class, because the season sure doesn't warrant anything. But now that Fritz has gone public about his interest in Arkansas and Mizzou (his supposed dream job), it may not matter any longer. Even if he doesn't land either of those jobs, its hard to see much of the recruiting class making it to signing day. Fritz has put the For Sale sign out.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:52 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:19 pm
An extension, even one year, does make a difference. And anything we might offer up should be dependent on the recruiting class, because the season sure doesn't warrant anything. But now that Fritz has gone public about his interest in Arkansas and Mizzou (his supposed dream job), it may not matter any longer. Even if he doesn't land either of those jobs, its hard to see much of the recruiting class making it to signing day. Fritz has put the For Sale sign out.
While I think it definitely isn’t good for the recruiting class, if he decides to stay and gets a 2/3 year extension (what he would get if he stays) I think the class will be fine. . . Now if this drags on for a week or more it gives those other teams more time to flip our guys. I just hope this works out one way or another quickly.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Remember when people said this was premature? :mrgreen:

BTW, locally channels 4 and 8 just covered it.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:03 pm Remember when people said this was premature? :mrgreen:

Yeah, I was one of them.

If he gets hired away because of a 5-1 start I still think the AD has a tough sell to his fans and alumni based on the 1-5 finish. His resume to date doesn't justify a P5 HC job. He's still well under .500 at Tulane. And Hall's offense did nothing to raise his prospects based upon the second half of the year as well. So, if either get an offer, it shows desperation by the school that offers. You are what your record says you are.

And again, I can be wrong and admit it. At the same time, it's ridiculous that a 6-6 coach with a 3 game losing streak and `1-5 in his last 6 games and record of 22-27 at Tulane is considered a hot prospect. I think there's a lot of smoke being blown.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
KBWAVE
Ripple

4 years
22W- 27L
12W-20L in conference

If he parlays that into a P5 job, his agent deserves a raise!!!

If he goes best of luck to him. He’s a class act.

Next man up.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:11 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:29 pm IMHO, Fritz and/or Hall would be crazy to not consider other higher level jobs if offered. With no QB ready to step in, the losses at WR and the weak OL, I’m not real confident we can avoid a step backward next year.
I don't disagree at all. I just don't know that either has put enough on their resumes YET at Tulane.
I disagree. I think we return a great deal. Our best recruiting classes are the most recent couple. We always supplement with grad transfers and I bet that will expand further. Keon is well seasoned and many believe his biggest weakness has been addressed. Furthermore there are MANY qb’s entering the portal. I don’t think a good QB would shy away from a competition with Keon. Despite our opinions I think a good QB would like to work with Hall.

I am more concerned about receiver but I believe we will bring in atleast two transfers there as well.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:19 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:03 pm Remember when people said this was premature? :mrgreen:

Yeah, I was one of them.

If he gets hired away because of a 5-1 start I still think the AD has a tough sell to his fans and alumni based on the 1-5 finish. His resume to date doesn't justify a P5 HC job. He's still well under .500 at Tulane. And Hall's offense did nothing to raise his prospects based upon the second half of the year as well. So, if either get an offer, it shows desperation by the school that offers. You are what your record says you are.

And again, I can be wrong and admit it. At the same time, it's ridiculous that a 6-6 coach with a 3 game losing streak and `1-5 in his last 6 games and record of 22-27 at Tulane is considered a hot prospect. I think there's a lot of smoke being blown.
You have valid points but none of that changes the fact that the thread was not premature. Schools are looking at him. As I posted elsewhere 6-6 one year got Mack the UNC job. Others see the Tulane job as one of the most difficult in the land.
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:37 am If coaches are going to go it should be the DC and the WR coach. The OL is still a weakness which is why we have put such an emphasis on them in this recruiting class. However while still subpar they weren't as bad this season as they had been. It was Kennedy's first year with the group.
The WR coach needs to move along. Very little development at all in that group. A couple of others should as well.
OL coach did a good job; it was a competent line despite a questionable talent base.

It wasn't just 6-5 (he didn't have the 6th loss until after he got the job) that sent Mack to North Carolina. It was also that he was one of the most touted up and coming coaches in the country prior to coming to Tulane, plus his pedigree as DC at LSU and Oklahoma, and his recruiting. Fritz lacks all of that but he does have a wining pedigree at lower levels which helps his case.
We couldn't dump Scelfo on someone else after his 6-5 nor after his 8-5 and CJ's 7-6. didn't get calls either. But Rick Dickson did give Scelfo a contract extension after that 6-5 season.
greenphantom
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:19 pm

Yeah, I was one of them.

Agree. I don’t see it happening at Ark or Mizzou unless they get turned down by multiple candidates. Thread was still premature 2 months ago. It’s not premature now because it’s the end of the season and the coaching carousel has begun.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wasn’t premature then . It was being talked about nationally. This is a fan message board. Of course it was going to be talked about here too.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just went and visited a couple of message boards for Arkansas and Missouri.

Arkansas fans seems to think its a done deal that Lane Kiffin is going to be their next coach. Seems they may be waiting until after the CUSA Championship game to say anything.

Most of their fans weren't keen on Fritz at all.

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/view.p ... e=16609287
A thread on Fritz from the Missouri board

And this was on the Missouri Board. Haven't come across anything yet as to how they may be leaning, but one person brought up a good point. It makes no sense for them to get rid of Odom for a guy who's only going 6-6 in AAC.

---Hot---
Harsin - Napier - Fickell - Healy - Clark - Norvell

---Hot But Controversy---
Kiffin

---Good/Might Work---
McElwain - Leach - Pelini

---Disaster---
Fritz - Monken - Calhoun

---Impossible & Disaster---
Freeze
Petrino
Briles
Last edited by RobertM320 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenphantom
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:17 pm Wasn’t premature then . It was being talked about nationally. This is a fan message board. Of course it was going to be talked about here too.
We’ll have to agree to disagree but the point of people saying that it was premature in early October wasn’t meant to imply that Fritz wouldn’t be a
candidate for other coaching jobs after the season ended. It was meant that he wasn’t a candidate at that time as there weren’t any job vacancies in week 4 and that nothing would happen until after the regular season once the bigger schools started firing their coaches and looking at potential replacements which is where we are at now.
greenphantom
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:30 pm Just went and visited a couple of message boards for Arkansas and Missouri.

Arkansas fans seems to think its a done deal that Lane Kiffin is going to be their next coach. Seems they may be waiting until after the CUSA Championship game to say anything.

Most of their fans weren't keen on Fritz at all.

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/view.p ... e=16609287
A thread on Fritz from the Missouri board

And this was on the Missouri Board. Haven't come across anything yet as to how they may be leaning, but one person brought up a good point. It makes no sense for them to get rid of Odom for a guy who's only going 6-6 in AAC.

---Hot---
Harsin - Napier - Fickell - Healy - Clark - Norvell

---Hot But Controversy---
Kiffin

---Good/Might Work---
McElwain - Leach - Pelini

---Disaster---
Fritz - Monken - Calhoun

---Impossible & Disaster---
Freeze
Petrino
Briles
I’m not surprised. I can’t imagine Ark fans being crazy about hiring another AAC coach with a losing record, even if he had stronger success at Georgia Southern, FCS and Juco.