Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
usmgrad
Ripple

Wave71 wrote:
usmgrad wrote:
Wave71 wrote:
TrkWave wrote:
Wave71 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:WIST talking CJ now looking for Tulane callers. Sean Payton dropping hints?

Please people call in and let them know this is not the answer. This will be the final nail in the coffin for Tulane Football!! RD do not hit the panic button and hire CJ. Wait it out until after the weekend. Do not give the NO media what the want. This will be a BIG Mistake!! Your donitions will stop and what little fan base we have will be gone!!!! This is your final chance RD!!
Seriously, calm down. This crazy panic ridden reactions are very unproductive. This WILL NOT be the nail in the coffin for our team. lord.

Dude wake up! Where have you been the last 10 years!! You must be a member of YOGWF!! Delusional Folks
Dude, you are the one that needs waking up. If you think calling in to a low-rated midday radio show with hosts that clearly are anti-TU will influence RD into a hire (or not a hire), you are the delusional one. And knock it off with the "you must be from yogwf" if we don't agree with you. The whole point, if I recall correctly, of this board was that people could express their opinions openly.

Thats what i'm doing, expressing my opinion. Also in my opinion, you are on the wrong board with a name like usmgrad debating Tulane's coaching hire. And you would be surprised with how much that admin. listen to the radio. Its not like we have a huge fan base. Their are other message board's that would probably be a better fit for you.
You should be thrilled that someone who graduated from a competing school is as passionate about Tulane as I am. I was born and raised and Greenie, and that's not changing. Why I even have to justify that fact is beyond me.

You seem upset because some of us aren't publicly getting our noses out of joint. You have NO CLUE how much this crap bothers me. I have been a season ticket holder for nearly 30 years so I have suffered along with everyone else on this board. Listen man, we all want the same thing, we just have different ways of going about it. I don't see what's wrong with that.
Last edited by usmgrad on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TrkWave
Ripple

Wave71 wrote:
TrkWave wrote:
Wave71 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:WIST talking CJ now looking for Tulane callers. Sean Payton dropping hints?

Please people call in and let them know this is not the answer. This will be the final nail in the coffin for Tulane Football!! RD do not hit the panic button and hire CJ. Wait it out until after the weekend. Do not give the NO media what the want. This will be a BIG Mistake!! Your donitions will stop and what little fan base we have will be gone!!!! This is your final chance RD!!
Seriously, calm down. This crazy panic ridden reactions are very unproductive. This WILL NOT be the nail in the coffin for our team. lord.

Dude wake up! Where have you been the last 10 years!! You must be a member of YOGWF!! Delusional Folks
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to light a fuse. I think we should all take a deep breath and try and look at this objectively, rather than running around like chickens with our heads cut off screaming that the sky is falling on Tulane football. If we have a coach with resources, then there is a strong chance that coach will have a level of consistent success greater than has been seen before. We would all like to see Rome built in a day, but that is not possible. Tulane Football is not just going to up and die, it has survived much worse. What we need is a mid term plan that will resurrect this program, and yes, a coach is very important, but so are his tools. If those tools come through we will have an objective basis to judge whatever coach we get and evaluate their performance. I think CJ will do fine, if he has the tools. Also I am not from YOGWF . . . neither do I detest them, as if they are the spawn of the underworld.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I remember here in Texas, (except for the UH people, only because he played there) asked..who da hell is Art Briles...Kevin Sumlin, who some wrote Kevin Dumblin ...ya never know
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
hounddog
Low Tide

Wonder if we could get a year or two out of Vince Gibson.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

hounddog...Vince has ALS...and even tho I appreciate all he has done for Tulane, he is not up to this project...even tho he will tell ya otherwise !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dave breslin
Swell

For those who think we are rambunctious and need to "calm" down have probablynever played competitive sports. As stated before , no good coach would take this gig with these decision makers at the wheel. Is this not evident!!! Maybe Clem kiddlehopper will take it and win 3 games a year. Recruiting is essential which means time is important. A fact lost by the incompetent ones. But "be patient" we"ll get another lie and swan song.

S
gbgreenie
Surge

This lack of interest in the coaching job goes back to last year when Toledo was given an extention. Praising that we had great recruiting classes and that this was the year. BS, what showed on the field was poor coaching, lackluster proformance by the players. The results on the field were terrible. This past year hurts us more than everyone knows.
Nerky
Ripple

wave to em wrote:
Nerky wrote:Has anyone thought about Jim Tressel? He would win at Tulane.
I promise you, that is a replica of another Bob Toledo. No thanks

How is Jim Tressel a replica of Bob Toledo? He's won national championships at both 1A and 1AA levels. He was on top at OSU before the whole player scandal broke. While he does have baggage, I don't know that he deserved to be fired and has probably learned from the experience. He has a better resume than ANY of the other candidates and would win at Tulane. The guy's just a proven winner at the highest level. Why not give The Sweater Vest a look?
Last edited by Nerky on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fortune favors the bold." - Vergil
Dave breslin
Swell

Don't hire tressel for two reasons. 1-sweaters look stupid in September and 2- cowen won't give us a tattoo budget
wave to em
Surge

Nerky wrote:
wave to em wrote:

How is Jim Tressel a replica of Bob Toledo? He's won national championships at both 1A and 1AA levels. He was on top at OSU before the whole player scandal broke. While he does have baggage, I don't know that he deserved to be fired and has probably learned from the experience. He has a better resume than ANY of the other candidates and would win at Tulane. The guy's just a proven winner at the highest level. Why not give The Sweater a look?
maybe its just me, but i would rather a younger more firey guy....the thing i hated most ab toledo was his fire and passion..he never yelled at his players, never yelled at refs ect. etc....the same goes for tressel....the only reason people wernt POed with him is because they were winning....honestly after we lost RR and ML, i just want a guy that going to get in the refs ear when theres a bad call...
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
RWR
Swell

Tulane has survived other bad periods but our fan base was 20,000 strong then no matter what. It is now down to below 2,000. We can't wait. There must be an absolute sense of urgency to change everything to do w/this program.
Nerky
Ripple

wave to em wrote:
Nerky wrote:
wave to em wrote:

How is Jim Tressel a replica of Bob Toledo? He's won national championships at both 1A and 1AA levels. He was on top at OSU before the whole player scandal broke. While he does have baggage, I don't know that he deserved to be fired and has probably learned from the experience. He has a better resume than ANY of the other candidates and would win at Tulane. The guy's just a proven winner at the highest level. Why not give The Sweater a look?
maybe its just me, but i would rather a younger more firey guy....the thing i hated most ab toledo was his fire and passion..he never yelled at his players, never yelled at refs ect. etc....the same goes for tressel....the only reason people wernt POed with him is because they were winning....honestly after we lost RR and ML, i just want a guy that going to get in the refs ear when theres a bad call...

You'd rather a firey unproven guy than a guy who has won championships because he doesn't yell? Tressel would win, period.
"Fortune favors the bold." - Vergil
hounddog
Low Tide

Somebody last week mentioned the coach at Drake University. Chris Crieghton, very impressive record. 126-38. Lower Divisions.
CoachBrockhoff
High Tide

Dave breslin wrote:Don't hire tressel for two reasons. 1-sweaters look stupid in September and 2- cowen won't give us a tattoo budget
I posted this pic Sunday Night.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I really thought this was the sane board and yogi wolf was for the delusional but, really:

"Jim Tressel"- Right, RR and ML gave us nothing but polite lip-service but we'd have a shot at Jim Tressel.

"I'd take Peyton Manning as QB coach"- Yeah, I'm sure he'd jump at the chance.

C'mon people, if this 45 day wait has taught us anything it should be a little humility.
God Bless Everyone!
murphwave
High Tide

At a point in time in the very near future, the number of job openings will dwindle and perhaps all of these candidates who are too good for us now, realize that we are the only game in town next to the UAB opening.
hounddog
Low Tide

I think the UAB job will fill faster than ours, they may be looking for a less experienced coach.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Nerky wrote:
wave to em wrote:

How is Jim Tressel a replica of Bob Toledo? He's won national championships at both 1A and 1AA levels. He was on top at OSU before the whole player scandal broke. While he does have baggage, I don't know that he deserved to be fired and has probably learned from the experience. He has a better resume than ANY of the other candidates and would win at Tulane. The guy's just a proven winner at the highest level. Why not give The Sweater Vest a look?
+1.

We don't have enough options to be turning anyone of that caliber away if they are interested.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I can't believe no one has commented on my post in the sslatten thread but it NEEDS to be discussed.

Are we at the point where we can legitimately question whether a 25k/30k stadium is chasing away coaching candidates? RR made clear in his Arizona press conference that he felt he could win a championship at Arizona quickly. A small football stadium does not excite coaches who want to win big. The people who told us that the coaching candidates were in favor of the stadium also told us we had a "who's who" interested in the coaching job.

At what point do we seriously and openly question whether making a $60M commitment to the Rick Dickson vision for Tulane athletics is another disaster. Maybe it's already too late, but wow does this look like a monumental mistake at this point. The stadium can ALWAYS be built if it's the right thing to do.
HSV
High Tide

I don't want to list every reason for an OCS in the middle of this thread, but I don't think the OCS is a detriment at all. If anything, I think this search shows how poorly this program is regarded nationally and by the coaching fraternity.

Directly to your point, I don't think the OCS was in any way a reason for RR or ML not to come here. Nor is a deterrent for any of the others who have either refused to talk or flat out rejected a rumored offer. If anything, it would show a coach that they "MAY" be serious about changing things if they are willing to put up that many millions on a project that will for the foreseeable future be in the middle of their campus (in other words, they aren't going to do this and then drop the sport). If anything, coaches may think that TU will probably be doing things differently now to try to fill that stadium up (make some money) and justify a future expansion.
JTLiuzza
Swell

FWIW football scoop reporting that Burton Burns (Alabama associate HC and former Tulane assistant) not on the list:

"Tulane: Sources tell us that Burton Burns is not involved."
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
murphwave
High Tide

I waited all day to hear something, and that is all we got?
wave to em
Surge

murphwave wrote:I waited all day to hear something, and that is all we got?
pretty much, we NEED to get on the phone with Hudspeth. as for monken, i dont think he would want to come here............but hey when does Trooper Taylor get in the mix? if we are going to hire a "strong recruiter" this would be my number 1 hands down.....CJ would be my #2
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
JTLiuzza
Swell

I know. If they want "scoop" concerning who's NOT involved I could give them a million names.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
wave to em
Surge

wave to em wrote:
pretty much, we NEED to get on the phone with Hudspeth. as for monken, i dont think he would want to come here............but hey when does Trooper Taylor get in the mix? if we are going to hire a "strong recruiter" this would be my number 1 hands down.....CJ would be my #2
TROOPER
hes at least worth a look right?
CuJo.
#SickEmWave