Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis: Day 48

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
rollinggreen
High Tide

Well this just proves the irreversible damage the bunghole brothers have done. The sad part is I do not disagree with these coaches going elsewhere. Tulane Football is now VERY close to the deathbed. Thanks bunghole brothers, your legacy is the death of Tulane football. Cowen and Dickson are a waste of life!

OGSB
Swell

Someone at Tulane letting us know a little bit of what's going on and we're unhappy about it.

We're all frustrated.
Livin' rent free
OUG
Riptide

rollinggreen wrote:Well this just proves the irreversible damage the bunghole brothers have done. The sad part is I do not disagree with these coaches going elsewhere. Tulane Football is now VERY close to the deathbed. Thanks bunghole brothers, your legacy is the death of Tulane football. Cowen and Dickson are a waste of life!
We're probably being a little dramatic here.

A marquee hire would have been great, but there were really only two possibilities there and they ran like hell to the first BCS conference chick that looked there way.

We need a coach to come in and win some games. That's really all there is to it. There are more than two guys that can do that. We wanted the "splash" hire because it would have been a spark. We'll now need to get the spark the old fashioned way -- winning games on the field. We can absolutely still do that and do not need and ESPN name brand guy to do it.

And we are announcing the construction of an on-campus stadium. So what if its 30k capacity to start. There's a lot of permanence in that.

We're not dropping football. It will go on. We have to keep pushing. Suck it up.
superwavefan
High Tide

OUG wrote:
rollinggreen wrote:Well this just proves the irreversible damage the bunghole brothers have done. The sad part is I do not disagree with these coaches going elsewhere. Tulane Football is now VERY close to the deathbed. Thanks bunghole brothers, your legacy is the death of Tulane football. Cowen and Dickson are a waste of life!

A marquee hire would have been great, but there were really only two possibilities there and they ran like hell to the first BCS conference chick that looked there way.

We need a coach to come in and win some games. That's really all there is to it. There are more than two guys that can do that. We wanted the "splash" hire because it would have been a spark. We'll now need to get the spark the old fashioned way -- winning games on the field. We can absolutely still do that and do not need and ESPN name brand guy to do it.

And we are announcing the construction of an on-campus stadium. So what if its 30k capacity to start. There's a lot of permanence in that.

We're not dropping football. It will go on. We have to keep pushing. Suck it up.
I think what everybody was hoping for, including me, is that somebody with BIGGER cojones would be in charge to stand up to Rick Dickson's and Scott Cowen's bull instead of letting this ship continue rudderless for the foreseable future. We needed a big name for a lot more than just coaching.

Small names aren't gonna pipe up and start knocking heads around OR have the leeway to do so.

Toledo took the blame for ALL kinds of hot garbage that did not include his usual everyday hot garbage of his own doing.

Seriously - and that Roger Dunaway is out retweeting about Leach, Vince Granito is in the dark about us being 2-11, makes me wish I'd said a few choice words to Rick Dickson at the Hawaii Tailgate when I had the opportunity. I guess I'll be sending him yet another email. GRRRRR!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wow!! These coaches are lining up, waiting their turn, to publicly de-pants SC and RD. It's really amazing watching these two flounder in such a public way. They are both amateurs trying to run with professionals.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Dave breslin
Swell

I guess it's time to face reality. These numbnuts have made a position that noone wants. After 60 years of faithfully following a once in a blue moon success I've had it noone, even for 2 mill want to be associated with an operation like this.
Northshore Wave
Ripple

Comment From Jimmy Jimmy: ]
What is the situation at Tulane?
Wednesday November 30, 2011 4:04 Jimmy
4:06 Everyone is asking. I have confirmed that Tulane will not make an announcement today or tomorrow. It is my understanding that AD Rick Dickson is still sorting through a couple of guys. Dickson does not have a deal done with Curtis Johnson, I can tell you that.
From coachingsearch.com live chat. It looks like we may be waiting at this time tomorrow as well. Take your time and make the right decision RD. Interesting.......... Let's all continue to pray that it is not Curtis Johnson.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I told everyone yesterday Leach was out of consideration. There's some good news to report concerning this. I'm told the Big 12 (presidents) had frowned upon us talking with Leach (maybe this is where the SC rumor started being against ML). The word I have is that it is VERY likely in 2013 Tulane will get an invite to the Big 12 should the "promises" of commitment be met. Tulane talked but not to a point of seriousness with ML I'm told.. Getting into the Big 12 is much more important than any coach.
Believe what you want, money, bcs, etc. ML was never going to be our coach. I'm also hearing now since CJ is in play here other schools are more likely to have interest in him.
As the World Turns in Day 44 of the Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis. Let's hope we get a "good" coach by Friday.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

superwavefan wrote:
murphwave wrote:BFeldmanCBS Bruce Feldman
BREAKING: Mike Leach has verbally agreed to be the head coach at Washington St.
4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Retweeted by @RogerDunaway
This is hilarious that the "Tulane Communications Director" is out there just keeping the PR wheel greased that Tulane is a dead end offer. and that he has the free time to do it.

Awesome.
Unbelievable.
hounddog
Low Tide

Well if we want CJ then we can kiss him goodbye, some other school will scoop him up the way things are going.
Northshore Wave
Ripple

tpstulane wrote:I told everyone yesterday Leach was out of consideration. There's some good news to report concerning this. I'm told the Big 12 (presidents) had frowned upon us talking with Leach (maybe this is where the SC rumor started being against ML). The word I have is that it is VERY likely in 2013 Tulane will get an invite to the Big 12 should the "promises" of commitment be met. Tulane talked but not to a point of seriousness with ML I'm told.. Getting into the Big 12 is much more important than any coach.
Believe what you want, money, bcs, etc. ML was never going to be our coach. I'm also hearing now since CJ is in play here other schools are more likely to have interest in him.
As the World Turns in Day 44 of the Tulane Coaching Hostage Crisis. Let's hope we get a "good" coach by Friday.
TPS, I have been that Tulane has backed off of CJ? Haywood, Hudspeth, and Monken are the top 3. Just like you, I trust my source. Have you heard the same?
OGSB
Swell

hounddog wrote:Well if we want CJ then we can kiss him goodbye, some other school will scoop him up the way things are going.
Then let's go after Frank Wilson!
Livin' rent free
OGSB
Swell

Northshore Wave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I told everyone yesterday Leach was out of consideration. There's some good news to report concerning this. I'm told the Big 12 (presidents) had frowned upon us talking with Leach (maybe this is where the SC rumor started being against ML). The word I have is that it is VERY likely in 2013 Tulane will get an invite to the Big 12 should the "promises" of commitment be met. Tulane talked but not to a point of seriousness with ML I'm told.. Getting into the Big 12 is much more important than any coach.
TPS, I have been that Tulane has backed off of CJ? Haywood, Hudspeth, and Monken are the top 3. Just like you, I trust my source. Have you heard the same?
I'm okay with the last 2. Not so much with the first one but if any of them win I was there from day 1!
Livin' rent free
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OGSB wrote:Someone at Tulane letting us know a little bit of what's going on and we're unhappy about it.

We're all frustrated.
Uh, no.

Roger Dunaway's title is Assistant AD for COMMUNICATIONS and he did not use his Twitter account to "let us know what's going on" for anything regarding the coaching search other than to reTweet the news that we've been passed over. Again.

It's not like major college coaching hires are announced via Twitter or anything like that.....nevermind.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Northshore Wave wrote:
I wouldn't say backed off, just not arrived at a decision yet. I don't think Tulane knows who they want at this point or more important who would want them.
Last edited by tpstulane on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Class of 1981
OGSB
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OGSB wrote:Someone at Tulane letting us know a little bit of what's going on and we're unhappy about it.

We're all frustrated.
Uh, no.

Roger Dunaway's title is Assistant AD for COMMUNICATIONS and he did not use his Twitter account to "let us know what's going on" for anything regarding the coaching search other than to reTweet the news that we've been passed over. Again.

It's not like major college coaching hires are announced via Twitter or anything like that.....nevermind.
Hey, he communicated.

My first post was a little tongue in cheek but I use emoticons sparingly.
Livin' rent free
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:

Permanence to the fact/perception/reality that we are building a stadium that matches the capacity at stadiums built by the University of Akron and the University of North Texas. I suppose that matches the fact/perception/reality of a football program whose leadership is great for being played like fools in order to leverage up coaching negotiations with other schools.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:Wow!! These coaches are lining up, waiting their turn, to publicly de-pants SC and RD. It's really amazing watching these two flounder in such a public way. They are both amateurs trying to run with professionals.
This. It's time that the Tulane alumni step up and REFUSE to allow this amateur hour to continue.

The evidence is consistent across the board. These fools are destroying Tulane.

#OccupyGibsonHall
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OGSB wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

We're all frustrated.
Uh, no.

Hey, he communicated.

My first post was a little tongue in cheek but I use emoticons sparingly.
Ok, sorry if I missed the sarcasm.

Tough to find humor in any of this for me.
Tulanegraduate
Ripple

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time following the direction of Big 12 Presidents without something written in stone.
Although I do agree that no coach is as important as an invite. If they are going to invite us, why not now? Wouldn't it make sense to invite us now and allow us to go after a BCS coach rather than invite us in with a third tier coach? Other teams have been invited to other conferences with the understanding that they wouldn't begin competing until a future date. The Big 12 might not even be in existence in 2013 or at least UT and OU might not be there. It just seems that we're chasing the proverbial rabbit around the track and we'll never catch it. We're slicking back our hair, putting on our sharpest suit and are on our best behavior and there is no guarantee that we will be invited to the dance.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Tulanegraduate wrote:

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time following the direction of Big 12 Presidents without something written in stone.
Although I do agree that no coach is as important as an invite. If they are going to invite us, why not now? Wouldn't it make sense to invite us now and allow us to go after a BCS coach rather than invite us in with a third tier coach? Other teams have been invited to other conferences with the understanding that they wouldn't begin competing until a future date. The Big 12 might not even be in existence in 2013 or at least UT and OU might not be there. It just seems that we're chasing the proverbial rabbit around the track and we'll never catch it. We're slicking back our hair, putting on our sharpest suit and are on our best behavior and there is no guarantee that we will be invited to the dance.
No, it makes perfect sense. The Big 12 is more interested in Tulane having a good football program than Scott Cowen was, until the Big 12 explained the economics of major college football to that numbnuts. Now he's trying to throw money at the problem.

If Tulane has a remotely credible athletic program, I'd be willing to bet that the ACC and the Big 12 will be fighting over Tulane for admission. You can find winning football programs, but you can't find the natural resources that Tulane has (and squandered).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulanegraduate wrote:

I can't argue that. But I don't think we have much in a way of negotiating something like that. I'm thinking the same chasing the rabbit analogy as well. Sad but this is the position our leaders have left us in, we are at the mercy of others at this point.
Tulane Class of 1981
JTLiuzza
Swell

Tulanegraduate wrote:

Although I do agree that no coach is as important as an invite. If they are going to invite us, why not now? Other teams have been invited to other conferences with the understanding that they wouldn't begin competing until a future date. The Big 12 might not even be in existence in 2013 or at least UT and OU might not be there. It just seems that we're chasing the proverbial rabbit around the track and we'll never catch it. We're slicking back our hair, putting on our sharpest suit and are on our best behavior and there is no guarantee that we will be invited to the dance.
I think the reason the Big12 waits is the same reason why name coaches have said no thanks: Cowen.

He has one heck of a track record and "trustworthy" isn't on his resume'. Promising things, to perspective coaches for example, in order to get them in the door only to back out of his oral commitment is something he has done before. You don't give a guy like Scott Cowen the prize that he hasn't even come close to earning, based on his promise that he'll actually do the things you need him to do. No way. You do that and you will probably get burned.

A Big12 invite is way too valuable to hand to Scott Cowen on a silver platter based on his promises that he'll take the shackles off of Tulane's football program. I don't blame them at all if their approach is; fix it first, and you've got two years to do it, then we'll think about extending an invitation. The Big12 presidents will not for one second roll the dice on a pig in a poke, particularly when a positive outcome for them hinges on the word of a man who has a track record of being a sneak ("review") and being loose with his oral commitments.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Tulanegraduate
Ripple

All great points. Thanks.
Bigschtick
Riptide

All the national news outlets are reporting that Leach is going to Washington State in Pullman. Good for them. Looks to me like Cowen and Dickson
did go on their Hawaiian vacation without having a coach signed or lined up. Nice trip on Tulane"s dime! ALso appears that Memphis is going after Manny Diaz, Hudspeth, Tommy Bowden and Terry Bowden. We will end up third tier thanks to the the admin's incompetency and lack of urgency.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!