UCONN Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19029
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 am

Bigschtick wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:48 pm


It was probably Cowens idea for UConn to bolt from our conference....
While Cowen was building Yulman and was still Tulane’s president UCONN had the idea to leave the AAC. It’s been rumored of them wanting to leave in the news for years from at least 2014.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9419
But I’m sure he’s tickled pink now though. 🤗


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1539
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:32 am

tpstulane wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 am
Bigschtick wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:48 pm


It was probably Cowens idea for UConn to bolt from our conference....
While Cowen was building Yulman and was still Tulane’s president UCONN had the idea to leave the AAC. It’s been rumored of them wanting to leave in the news for years from at least 2014.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9419
The UConn administration & fan base were completely devasted when passed over by Louisville for entrance into the ACC. They thought they were "better" than the AAC.
I had conversations with many UConn fans that included, "who is Tulane, do they play football?"
Let's give them a good send off!
BTW: We need to admit a program from the Mid Atlantic if we choose to go forward with two divisions..
My choice would be Old Dominion. Bobby Wilder & staff will be fired at the end of this season. ODU has the single greatest upside to replace UConn.
Large active fan base, Underserved media market. Legendary recruiting region.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14674
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:03 pm

Forte's in the House:

JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19029
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:33 pm

winwave wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:03 pm
Forte's in the House:

Gene has been attending games this year (Houston game here). Good to see Matt coming in as well!
Roll Wave!
Image
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14674
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:12 pm

Good one.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14674
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:45 pm

JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 8182
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Listening to the FTW podcast, I heard that the students are out on Fall Break.

We should have Athletic Dept staff going to the local schools giving away tickets. Build a new generation of Green Wave fans. And I don't mean 100 tickets, give away a few thousand. Hopefully the kids will bring a parent. But if they come and see this offense, they'll probably think it's cool and we have a chance to grow the fan base. We should be doing this until we start selling out games.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 9230
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:27 pm

winwave wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:45 pm
Magician:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... dd348.html
I am glad Tulane will have an award named for Steve Martin..Steve was a wonderful person, I had the honor and pleasure of playing ball in the summer leagues with Steve. The team was coached/managed by Joe B....had some great times in the Audubon, Mel Ott leagues and the games at Barrow park out by the lake
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14674
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am

JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19029
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:56 am

winwave wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am
Quandary:

https://theathletic.com/1278038/2019/10 ... ise-state/
Here we go again
He’s confident the momentum will continue upward, but the next coaching cycle could hit the conference hard, with Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell, Memphis’ Mike Norvell and Tulane’s Willie Fritz expected to be candidates for Power 5 jobs.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 9230
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:04 am

tpstulane wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:56 am
winwave wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am
Quandary:

https://theathletic.com/1278038/2019/10 ... ise-state/
Here we go again
He’s confident the momentum will continue upward, but the next coaching cycle could hit the conference hard, with Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell, Memphis’ Mike Norvell and Tulane’s Willie Fritz expected to be candidates for Power 5 jobs.
Fickell I can understand...but there is something about Norvell that seems to keep him from being interviewed and hired at more profiled school, maybe not a stench, but an odor around him.... WF, has been discussed, there may be a school that will take him at 60, we shall see
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14674
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:17 pm

4-1, No problem:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 56bcd.html

JJ will be back this week. Bradwell is out.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
Bicoastalwave
Surge
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:09 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:04 am
tpstulane wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:56 am
winwave wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am
Quandary:

https://theathletic.com/1278038/2019/10 ... ise-state/
Here we go again
He’s confident the momentum will continue upward, but the next coaching cycle could hit the conference hard, with Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell, Memphis’ Mike Norvell and Tulane’s Willie Fritz expected to be candidates for Power 5 jobs.
Fickell I can understand...but there is something about Norvell that seems to keep him from being interviewed and hired at more profiled school, maybe not a stench, but an odor around him.... WF, has been discussed, there may be a school that will take him at 60, we shall see
If we can get one more year of Hall & Fritz I will extremely happy. If we get even more, tell Santa I’m good.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14674
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:27 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:04 am
tpstulane wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:56 am
winwave wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am
Quandary:

https://theathletic.com/1278038/2019/10 ... ise-state/
Here we go again
He’s confident the momentum will continue upward, but the next coaching cycle could hit the conference hard, with Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell, Memphis’ Mike Norvell and Tulane’s Willie Fritz expected to be candidates for Power 5 jobs.
Fickell I can understand...but there is something about Norvell that seems to keep him from being interviewed and hired at more profiled school, maybe not a stench, but an odor around him.... WF, has been discussed, there may be a school that will take him at 60, we shall see
Don't know if it's the case for sure but the word has been that he has gambling/character issues.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 7304
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:26 am

Bicoastalwave wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:09 pm
golfnut69 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:04 am
tpstulane wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:56 am
winwave wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am
Quandary:

https://theathletic.com/1278038/2019/10 ... ise-state/
Here we go again
He’s confident the momentum will continue upward, but the next coaching cycle could hit the conference hard, with Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell, Memphis’ Mike Norvell and Tulane’s Willie Fritz expected to be candidates for Power 5 jobs.
Fickell I can understand...but there is something about Norvell that seems to keep him from being interviewed and hired at more profiled school, maybe not a stench, but an odor around him.... WF, has been discussed, there may be a school that will take him at 60, we shall see
If we can get one more year of Hall & Fritz I will extremely happy. If we get even more, tell Santa I’m good.
I'm in on this. One more season would be great. Anything more than that would be an unexpected bonus.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1539
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:26 am

If Willie Fritz was motivated by money & status his career trajectory would be completely different.. I am hopeful that we stand a good chance of retaining him. He & his staff can build something really special here.
Good kids, good school, good football.
anEngineer
Surge
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:49 am

Anyone notice in the weekly press conference where Ed Daniels started to ask Fritz about Tulane's history of head coaching success leading to being a head coach somewhere else? Before the question was finished Fritz started saying, "Don't go there, Ed." He then added that he suspected those other coaches were a lot younger than him.
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 836
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:03 am

anEngineer wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:49 am
Anyone notice in the weekly press conference where Ed Daniels started to ask Fritz about Tulane's history of head coaching success leading to being a head coach somewhere else? Before the question was finished Fritz started saying, "Don't go there, Ed." He then added that he suspected those other coaches were a lot younger than him.
Maybe he’s different maybe not. His response to the question was the correct one to make at this time . Same one anyone else would have made . You guys know how it works . Maybe he wants to build a Miami at Tulane . You wanna talk about a legacy? I’ve decided to enjoy the ride and stop worrying about it. Tough stretch ahead .
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14674
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:22 am

galvezwave wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:03 am
anEngineer wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:49 am
Anyone notice in the weekly press conference where Ed Daniels started to ask Fritz about Tulane's history of head coaching success leading to being a head coach somewhere else? Before the question was finished Fritz started saying, "Don't go there, Ed." He then added that he suspected those other coaches were a lot younger than him.
Maybe he’s different maybe not. His response to the question was the correct one to make at this time . Same one anyone else would have made . You guys know how it works . Maybe he wants to build a Miami at Tulane . You wanna talk about a legacy? I’ve decided to enjoy the ride and stop worrying about it. Tough stretch ahead .
+1. Time to enjoy it.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1539
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:39 am

If Willie Fritz stays at Tulane the only resemblance to Maimi will be that they're both Southern private schools in NFL cities.
I loved Miami for what they were in the 80's, 90's. & early 00's. But that's me. We don't need the anti-athletic elements of Tulane to have any cause to call out the football/basketball program.
In Fritz we trust.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 8182
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:48 am

You never know what a coach is thinking, but Willie sure talks like he wants to stay here a while.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
squilz
Ripple
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:30 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 am

wave97 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:26 am
If Willie Fritz was motivated by money & status his career trajectory would be completely different.. I am hopeful that we stand a good chance of retaining him. He & his staff can build something really special here.
Good kids, good school, good football.
Agree. Fritz seems like a more stand up guy than a lot of coaches, between that, his age and journeyman career up to this point; I could see him riding the wave into the sunset a la bill snyder.
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 836
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:12 am

wave97 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:39 am
If Willie Fritz stays at Tulane the only resemblance to Maimi will be that they're both Southern private schools in NFL cities.
I loved Miami for what they were in the 80's, 90's. & early 00's. But that's me. We don't need the anti-athletic elements of Tulane to have any cause to call out the football/basketball program.
In Fritz we trust.
I was relatively speaking. Maybe Boise would be a better comparison but I think Tulane has a higher ceiling honestly.
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 836
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:15 am

squilz wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 am
wave97 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:26 am
If Willie Fritz was motivated by money & status his career trajectory would be completely different.. I am hopeful that we stand a good chance of retaining him. He & his staff can build something really special here.
Good kids, good school, good footbaldl.
Agree. Fritz seems like a more stand up guy than a lot of coaches, between that, his age and journeyman career up to this point; I could see him riding the wave into the sunset a la bill snyder.
You mean even more than the Bible thumping bowdens ? 😂😂
anEngineer
Surge
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:23 am

squilz wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 am
wave97 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:26 am
If Willie Fritz was motivated by money & status his career trajectory would be completely different.. I am hopeful that we stand a good chance of retaining him. He & his staff can build something really special here.
Good kids, good school, good football.
Agree. Fritz seems like a more stand up guy than a lot of coaches, between that, his age and journeyman career up to this point; I could see him riding the wave into the sunset a la bill snyder.
Frank Beamer at Va. Tech is another good example of a guy taking over a struggling program, turning it around and just staying there until he was done with coaching.
Post Reply