AP Top 25

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Great to see ! When we beat Army we’ll get many more.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Let’s start giving this clown a hard time if we win. If you have Texas A&M in the Top 25 & Memphis outside than I have no respect for you. If TUlane makes it to the top 25 this year I love it will force locals and news outlets to turn some attention to Tulane and pay a modicum of respect.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 0343b.html
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:05 pm Let’s start giving this clown a hard time if we win. If you have Texas A&M in the Top 25 & Memphis outside than I have no respect for you. If TUlane makes it to the top 25 this year I love it will force locals and news outlets to turn some attention to Tulane and pay a modicum of respect.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 0343b.html
What part of that article is disparaging to Tulane? Yes, it's pro-LSU, but he's an LSU beat reporter.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

I'm almost a fan of this Garland Gillen character.

Tulane #25
App St #20
SMU #19
Memphis #18
Boise #15

But... NO UCF....wtf
Bigschtick
Riptide

Lets beat Army and Memphis before we start thinking we are a top 25 team!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
squilz
Low Tide

We'll be on the bubble for a while, but these rankings are crazy. Insane that Memphis is out and A&M is in. Of course, this poll also has Clemson at number 2, with Ohio State 4th and Auburn 7th.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The disparagement was his regarding his highly questionable 25 ( TA&M, no Memphis), and heaven forbid another local writer would follow garlands lead/coaches poll and support The local team.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:17 am Lets beat Army and Memphis before we start thinking we are a top 25 team!
I hope we win every game. I don’t think we need to beat Memphis to get into the top 25, but it will be close.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:47 am
Bigschtick wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:17 am Lets beat Army and Memphis before we start thinking we are a top 25 team!
I hope we win every game. I don’t think we need to beat Memphis to get into the top 25, but it will be close.
I don't think you can hang your hat on an 18 point loss on the road to Auburn as the biggest game to show we belong in the top 25. Other than that game, yes, we had a nice win against a 1-3 Houston team, and a blowout against FIU. Beating an Army team that's on the fringe of the top 25 will not get us ranked. Maybe a blowout victory would, but I still say we don't crack the top 25 unless we win the next 3 games.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Houston crushed another supposedly good team in UNT. Unt has a great QB, was playing at home and is a favorite to win conf USA. Athlon actually has them ranked ahead of us coming into the year, and UNT almost beat a good Cal team. Houston is a good team with great talent and coaching (by national perception), they just had a very tough opening slate. Let’s not fall into the old- “Tulane beat them, so now they’re bad” school of thought. . .That’s for our opponent’s message boards’. Auburn has shown they are a very good team, and we played them TOUGH on the road, closer than that score indicated. I think the team wouldn’t mind playing them again on a neutral field or anywhere for that matter.
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:59 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:47 am
I don't think you can hang your hat on an 18 point loss on the road to Auburn as the biggest game to show we belong in the top 25. Other than that game, yes, we had a nice win against a 1-3 Houston team, and a blowout against FIU. Beating an Army team that's on the fringe of the top 25 will not get us ranked. Maybe a blowout victory would, but I still say we don't crack the top 25 unless we win the next 3 games.
While it might not be fair.....this is exactly how someone from the outside will see us. FIU lost to Western KY and LA Tech :shock: Houston crushed UNT but they might drop way more than expected now that King is gone...might not look like a real impressive win by season end.
galvezwave
Swell

The more football I watch, the better I think we are . Not necessarily that we are some juggernaut, but many of these mid level p5 teams don’t appear as sound as we do in a lot of areas .and by mid level I mean ranked 15 and down . Maybe higher .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:34 pm
While it might not be fair.....this is exactly how someone from the outside will see us. FIU lost to Western KY and LA Tech :shock: Houston crushed UNT but they might drop way more than expected now that King is gone...might not look like a real impressive win by season end.
That's exactly my point. We haven't beaten anyone worth the voters really taking notice. And I'm not sure we are a top 25 team yet. If the offense can gain some consistency and traction, we might be better than quite a few teams in the bottom 10 of the top 25.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Houston crushed a perceived good UNT team on the road WITHOUT King and the other redshirted players. Apparently they were redshirting somewhere between 20-35 players (!). I haven’t seen the confirmed number.

Just being in the “received votes” gets you noticed by the lazy voters. I’m not saying it’s right, but a lot of it is just not losing and staying around. That why if we’re close to the top 25 after we beat Army and then we beat UConn even that could get us in if the teams ahead of us lose. . . Or voters come to their senses about Texas a&m.

I should clarify that I am referring to the coaches poll now, not the Ap. I do agree we won’t make it in the AP unless we win the next 3 games.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:09 pm
Ruski wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:34 pm
That's exactly my point. We haven't beaten anyone worth the voters really taking notice. And I'm not sure we are a top 25 team yet. If the offense can gain some consistency and traction, we might be better than quite a few teams in the bottom 10 of the top 25.
Definitely agree about the offense. We need the passing game to become consistent. McCleskey's breakout against Houston will hopefully help spur that sooner than later. If that happens then we are a top 25 caliber team.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

For Tulane, it will come down to whether it can defeat either Memphis or UCF, as a win against either of those programs would be significant boost this season (assuming Tulane doesn't start losing to lower end programs).
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:41 pm For Tulane, it will come down to whether it can defeat either Memphis or UCF, as a win against either of those programs would be significant boost this season (assuming Tulane doesn't start losing to lower end programs).
We are not going to run the table on the season, as, quite frankly, we're not the best of the teams remaining on our schedule. Unless we can become a whole lot more consistent on BOTH sides of the ball, we're going to struggle to go .500 the rest of the way.

This game against Army is big. We should beat the Huskies the following week like a drum. But the rest of the games are toss ups, and we're still doing too many stupid things to beat ourselves. That has to end. The competition after the UConn game will eat us up if we keep playing with little consistency. The dumb penalties have to end, I don't care if it's because of the opponents yelling out the snap count. It happens. Fix it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

MEM, UCF and maybe SMU are the only teams left that I would say are better than us.

I could easily see us beating Temple, Army, UConn, Tulsa and Navy.

Note: I didn't say we'd easily beat them, I said I could see us beating all five.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:34 pm MEM, UCF and maybe SMU are the only teams left that I would say are better than us.

I could easily see us beating Temple, Army, UConn, Tulsa and Navy.

Note: I didn't say we'd easily beat them, I said I could see us beating all five.
I could see us winning those 5 games, but also think we're a toss up at Army and at Temple. Tulsa and Navy are much better than last year as well. There's no gimme's on the schedule after UConn. And there's no team we cannot beat, but we have to play better.
anEngineer
Riptide

The AAC West got much better this year and is VERY competitive. The East has possibly the 2 best teams in the conference, UCF and Cincinnati and a very competitive Temple. Of those 3, we have to play 2 this year. Tough draw. However many wins we end up with this year, we will have earned them.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:01 pm The AAC West got much better this year and is VERY competitive. The East has possibly the 2 best teams in the conference, UCF and Cincinnati and a very competitive Temple. Of those 3, we have to play 2 this year. Tough draw. However many wins we end up with this year, we will have earned them.
Tough draw and most of the good teams we face on the road. SMU has a much easier schedule. But if we just keep Winning it won’t matter
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This might be the strongest top to bottom the conference has ever been. Unfortunately, not a lot of casual fans will recognize how good the conference is as the top teams start beating up on each other. If our eventual conference champion comes out of the championship game with only 1 or even 2 losses, it should still deserve the NY6 game, though with two losses we probably won't get it.

It's difficult to argue that we're a better conference than any of the "P5" conferences. But the AAC is definitely a step above the rest of the G5.

What kills me is the P5 bottom feeders that get off to a good start and get ranked. There's at least half a dozen teams from the P5 conferences that wouldn't finish in the top half of the AAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wow, we didn’t get anymore AP votes. This is embarrassing for the AP. Shows they haven’t paid attention and are a joke. Truly hilarious
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !