Tulane Wallops Missouri State 58-6

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
anEngineer
Riptide

Missouri St reminded me so much of what we used to be, not too long ago and for a long time. You get a big turnover and turn it right back over. You work to finally get a touchdown and the extra point gets blocked. You do a good job stopping the run until the 4th quarter when the opponent starts ripping off long TD runs. I don't ever want to go back there.

NOLABigSteve
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:25 pm Missouri St reminded me so much of what we used to be, not too long ago and for a long time. You get a big turnover and turn it right back over. You work to finally get a touchdown and the extra point gets blocked. You do a good job stopping the run until the 4th quarter when the opponent starts ripping off long TD runs. I don't ever want to go back there.
Well said.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Went exactly like we wanted it to. First team took care of business. Howard got to come in and run the offense for a few series in the second half. Dauphine should get unleashed Thursday night. Spears is going to be what we expected. Others will be sorry they didn't go after his signature because of size. We cut back on the penalties. Just what the doctor ordered. Now onto a big one on Thursday. Real shame we got forced to play this one on a Thursday. We'd have had a real good crowd on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

The only negative was seeing Claybrook limp off during the first series of the second half. His limp didn't seem too pronounced but when he took his helmet off on the sideline he was grimacing and was not happy. Hopefully it's not serious.

ROLLWAVEROLL!!!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

I only want to see Southern, SLU, Nicholls and Grambling in Yulman when it comes to FCS opponents. We don’t need these games vs FCS opponents outside of Louisiana. I am fine with Jackson State as well. We only need to bring in FCS opponents who travel well and sell tickets. Some of the bands help as well.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:18 am I only want to see Southern, SLU, Nicholls and Grambling in Yulman when it comes to FCS opponents. We don’t need these games vs FCS opponents outside of Louisiana. I am fine with Jackson State as well. We only need to bring in FCS opponents who travel well and sell tickets. Some of the bands help as well.
Hard agree. If not, screw it schedule another low end p5 and forgo the free win. I see little reason we can’t match up annually with our true peers (Syracuse (ugh perpetually overated), Maryland, Vandy, Northwestern, Stanford, UCLA, BC) Annually.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:05 am
Eaglewave wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:18 am I only want to see Southern, SLU, Nicholls and Grambling in Yulman when it comes to FCS opponents. We don’t need these games vs FCS opponents outside of Louisiana. I am fine with Jackson State as well. We only need to bring in FCS opponents who travel well and sell tickets. Some of the bands help as well.
Hard agree. If not, screw it schedule another low end p5 and forgo the free win. I see little reason we can’t match up annually with our true peers (Syracuse (ugh perpetually overated), Maryland, Vandy, Northwestern, Stanford, UCLA, BC) Annually.
Who was the last team Clemson lost to in the regular season?

Dino Babers has a much bigger signature win than our Coach Fritz does. Yes, they got pasted by Maryland, but I'd trade a victory over Clemson for a bad loss on the road any day.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
puffy
Surge

Lynaris Elpheage, Jr. is on that visit list :shock:

Geez, I am old.
GreenLantern wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:51 am FearTheWave provides great information. Wish he posted more frequently on this site.

Hoping we are able to sign Pig Cage because...well, just because.

greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:30 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:05 am
Who was the last team Clemson lost to in the regular season?

Dino Babers has a much bigger signature win than our Coach Fritz does. Yes, they got pasted by Maryland, but I'd trade a victory over Clemson for a bad loss on the road any day.
Let’s not act like he would have beaten OU, Ohio St, etc if he had been coaching here. He’s had the luxury of playing Clemson with their backup QBs except for last night and even when he did beat Clemson two years, his team lost every game the rest of the season. He had a great year last year but otherwise he’s 9-18 the rest of the games. Luckily the ACC is a pretty bad conference outside of Clemson.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Did anyone notice the Rudy-esque moment along the sideline when walkon Dane Ziegler made his first career tackle in the second half? There was wholesale celebration as nearly every player embraced and congratulated the young man. Judging by Will Hall's tweet, the celebration continued in the locker room.

Ziegler has a reputation of being a bookworm, always studying and having a lunch-pail mentality of working harder than anyone. His mom is Liz Devlin Ziegler, an employee of the Tulane athletic department for over 30 years. We need more stories like this.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Turn out the lights......
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

MicMan wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:26 pm Has TU lost to a FCS team in the Fritz era?
Tulane hasn't lost to a FCS team in any era.
Wave QB
Swell

I have no problem with McNeese and Northwestern St as well. Playing against Louisiana FCS programs are always W’s for us, and big time trips for them. We definitely don’t need to bring teams like Missouri State here to add more space between chairs.

If Alabama and LSU can get one win closer to the CFP by playing Chattanooga, than Tulane can get one win closer to a bowl game vs these ticket buying FCS programs. Jacksonville State and Jackson State are FCS programs who sell tickets and travel well, so I would open Yulman to them as well.

Attendance numbers in our last Louisiana FCS meetings:

McNeese 29k
Southern 27K
Southeastern La 26K
Northwestern State 25K
Nicholls 21K
Grambling 15K (Weather)
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave QB wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:18 am

I have no problem with McNeese and Northwestern St as well. Playing against Louisiana FCS programs are always W’s for us, and big time trips for them. We definitely don’t need to bring teams like Missouri State here to add more space between chairs.

If Alabama and LSU can get one win closer to the CFP by playing Chattanooga, than Tulane can get one win closer to a bowl game vs these ticket buying FCS programs. Jacksonville State and Jackson State are FCS programs who sell tickets and travel well, so I would open Yulman to them as well.

McNeese 29k
Southern 27K
Southeastern La 26K
Northwestern State 25K
Nicholls 21K
Grambling 15K (Weather)
There is a flip side to this, though. Playing schools like Nicholls St means that you're going against players and coaches that are familiar with our program, and our players. They also have an added incentive to try and beat us. Not saying they would, but if we truly want the rent a win, this was a far easier game than Nicholls or Southeastern would be. Heck, Ole Miss struggled with SELA yesterday.

And its not like we're doing this every year. Who was the last FCS team to come in that wasn't from the area? Maine, maybe? 2014? Fritz has known the MSU coach for years. This may have been as a favor to him, if they needed a game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

McNeese 29k
Southern 27K
Southeastern La 26K
Northwestern State 25K
Nicholls 21K
Grambling 15K (Weather)
I agree that I'd rather us play the local FCS teams and they do draw better than the out of state ones. Those attendance numbers though are completely made up by Tulane. They are not even close to the reality. Hell the first four numbers are impossible.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:44 am

McNeese 29k
Southern 27K
Southeastern La 26K
Northwestern State 25K
Nicholls 21K
Grambling 15K (Weather)
I agree that I'd rather us play the local FCS teams and they do draw better than the out of state ones. Those attendance numbers though are completely made up by Tulane. They are not even close to the reality. Hell the first four numbers are impossible.
Northwestern and McNeese were in the Superdome.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Still made up.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:28 pmStill made up.
I agree. But not impossible on those two like you originally stated.
Eaglewave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:49 am
winwave wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:44 am

McNeese 29k
Southern 27K
Southeastern La 26K
Northwestern State 25K
Nicholls 21K
Grambling 15K (Weather)
Northwestern and McNeese were in the Superdome.
The 2002 Southern game brought in 40K in the dome on paper. It looked like about 38K. At the end of the day, those Louisiana FCS teams help us sell tickets. I love this games. They are exciting for the locals and our players rack up stats. The games don’t hurt us in anyway because even if we go 12-0 against a tough schedule, we all be left out of the CFP anyway. I want one of these teams in Yulman every year during week 1 or 2. Taking a 2-0 record into a game vs a P5 opponent sells tickets as well. I really think Auburn would have seen a different team had we can in undefeated with 2 weeks working out a few knots. Going into games vs the Ohio State’s and Oklahoma’s of the world bring more excitement to the table. Especially before conference play. I am very excited about going into Kansas State in 2022 after games vs UMass and Alcorn.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:28 pmStill made up.
You already know that they often report attendance based off tickets that where sold. That McNeese game felt more like 24K over 29k. Still, it beats 12-18k.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

at one time, "announced attendance" were the number of "tickets sold"...including "season tickets' that may never get used.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:16 pm at one time, "announced attendance" were the number of "tickets sold"...inclusding "season tickets' that may never get used.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I
I believe we may use tickets “distributed” these days.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Missouri State considering eliminating football. Program losing nearly $3mil annually for the institution which has approximately 26,000 students:

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sport ... 697784001/
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:12 pm Missouri State considering eliminating football. Program losing nearly $3mil annually for the institution which has approximately 26,000 students:

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sport ... 697784001/
Gotta read the whole article.
But if you ask Missouri State President Clif Smart why the program continues to exist despite its lack of public support, it doesn't sound like football is going anywhere.
"I am never going to eliminate football," Smart said. "I would rather be fired than be the president who got rid of football."
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane paid them $400,000 for this weekend’s beat down.
Tulane Class of 1981