Houston Game

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Yes we have a game to take care of first. . . but we’re not playing or coaching. After listening to FTW Cast there were some interesting takes to discuss.

The biggest is Houston has A HUGE game against #20 Washington St in Houston this weekend. Follow that up our game against houston at Yulman is a short week with the game of Thursday. FTW and Andrew A (new voice of the wave), were discussing that we can likely rest our guys in the 3rd quarter while Houston will be battling 4 quarters in one of the biggest games of the year for them and be coming off an emotional high (or low).

The stars are aligning for an ideal revenge game at Yulman for the Wave. I hope we get the students and locals out. I think this game is on ESPN ?

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Yes, I think you're right and the Houston game is on ESPN.

I will be at a card game and BBQ for a wedding, hoping they'll let me put it on while we're playing cards.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Houston’s in big trouble. Wash states air raid and offensive line looks STRONG
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

TU can beat this UH team.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I was extremely unimpressed. I’m just nervous that they use the two losses in a row as a major motivator and line in the sand. Not impressed with Dana H
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:42 pm I was extremely unimpressed. I’m just nervous that they use the two losses in a row as a major motivator and line in the sand. Not impressed with Dana H
+1, Wash. St. 31, Houston 24.

We can beat these guys, particularly playing at Yulman. Can’t wait. :D
RobertM320
Green Wave

Interesting to note some of the discussion about D'Eriq King during the game. They brought up a lot of similarities to Kyler Murray as far as HS stats in Texas etc. But they also brought up that he needs to get his completion pct up. It was only 54% going into the game and he was only 13-24 against Wazzu. I also heard a radio discussion yesterday after the Thurs night NFL game, and they were saying the same thing about Cam Newton. Ultimately, the game has changed enough that 50% completion doesn't cut it any more.

Think about it. The game has evolved to where short passes are basically an extension of the run game. If 10-15% of your "runs" in every game resulted in 0 yards (incompletions), you'd say it needed to be fixed. That's why I'd love t see McMillan at least get up into the 60-65% range.

If our defense is solid, we can beat this team for sure. They gave up a ton of yards passing last night of course, playing the AirRaid. But more importantly, they gave up 75% completions (36 of 48).
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:42 pm I was extremely unimpressed. I’m just nervous that they use the two losses in a row as a major motivator and line in the sand. Not impressed with Dana H
Yes. For the conference and us I wish UH would have won that game.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:47 am Interesting to note some of the discussion about D'Eriq King during the game. They brought up a lot of similarities to Kyler Murray as far as HS stats in Texas etc. But they also brought up that he needs to get his completion pct up. It was only 54% going into the game and he was only 13-24 against Wazzu. I also heard a radio discussion yesterday after the Thurs night NFL game, and they were saying the same thing about Cam Newton. Ultimately, the game has changed enough that 50% completion doesn't cut it any more.

Think about it. The game has evolved to where short passes are basically an extension of the run game. If 10-15% of your "runs" in every game resulted in 0 yards (incompletions), you'd say it needed to be fixed. That's why I'd love t see McMillan at least get up into the 60-65% range.

If our defense is solid, we can beat this team for sure. They gave up a ton of yards passing last night of course, playing the AirRaid. But more importantly, they gave up 75% completions (36 of 48).
In the 70's 50% completion rates were acceptable. I think since the 80's and moving forward, 60% + has been the standard just to reach "average" status. At this point, if you are not in the 60-65% completion range, you stink.

That's one of the reasons I have been saying we need a D1 QB. McM completed 51% of his passes last year. That stinks. Yes, he minimized turnovers (and more importantly won games). But we'd be a whole different team with a QB that looks a lot more like McM did versus FIU than the horrible performance we got from him at Auburn.
Aegis
High Tide

Watched the Houston game. Was not impressed with the WSU defense, particularly their D line. The greenies are much stronger up front. King is not very active but he can run very well. Also I do believe we’ll be able to run the ball against U of H. Run the ball well with a good mix of passing and we should be ok. I like our chances
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Our DLine is supposed to be better than Wash St, and they got plenty of pressure on King. King also missed several easy passes which was strange. Obviously our QB, Oline and Wide receivers and overall offensive attack won’t be the same as Wash State & the air raid- but man houston could not stop them in the second half.

Let’s crush Houston’s dreams for the season and kick their ass at Yulman.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Against UH, our D needs to focus on containing King—don’t let him run and scramble—force him to pass. If our D line goes after him to aggressively he may well break containment and that’s when he’ll do the most damage.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8092&s=308075

Not a lot of love for the Wave from FPI. We're only projected to beat Houston, UConn and Tulsa the rest of the way and finish 5-7.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's why they play the games.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

As a fan I love we have the short week. Yesterday’s game didn’t scratch my Tulane football itch.

I was reading some houston boards and someone posted the espn fbi prediction (75% likely Tulane wins) and that board acted as if it was a forgone conclusion we would kick their ass. Their psyche is decimated and it’s the 4th week of the season. Not the greatest fan base
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Coogsfans linked to this thread:) they take issue with us thinking we’re stronger than them and have a better dline than wash st.

Hey I differ to the experts at Phil steel, athlon and national publications that list us as a top 10 DL. And us shutting down Auburn’s run game . . . Yah know despite them having multiple nfl draft picks on the their Oline.

I love smug fan bases. UCF has the worst in the AAC, but Houston is too far behind. I don’t care how we win, but let’s win.
RobertM320
Green Wave

These guys don't really have a clue, do they?

RWcoog
Russell Wayne Sollock
20m
I concerned about any team who likes to run the aball.
Offense needs to start fast and make them play from behind.
But seriously to the one who said this will be the best run defense we have faced. If you really believe that I am not sure what else to say.
I am not sure what to expect but I know we need to win this and I am not sure what to expect.

H-Town
Cary
14m
Their defensive line is very good. Of course we are just talking about the starting 4, depth is an issue.
Notherncoog
4h
I think Tulane is a triple option team. Last time we played one of those it did not end well.

H-Town
Cary
4h
Air raid’esque now. Switched out coordinators.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:41 pm Coogsfans linked to this thread:) they take issue with us thinking we’re stronger than them and have a better dline than wash st.

Hey I differ to the experts at Phil steel, athlon and national publications that list us as a top 10 DL. And us shutting down Auburn’s run game . . . Yah know despite them having multiple nfl draft picks on the their Oline.

I love smug fan bases. UCF has the worst in the AAC, but Houston is too far behind. I don’t care how we win, but let’s win.
UCF can fans can talk the talk because their team has walked the walk. A healthy Milton McKenzie late last year and they're the team with the longest winning streak in the nation, as they would have beaten LSU.
greenie78
Riptide

Need to keep their QB King in the pocket. He’s good in the pocket but lethal outside. Front 7 will need to be disciplined.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

How I wish Milton had played and UCF crush LSU.

As far as Houston, these seem to be more “casual” fans, while we are clearly the die hard. It sounds as if they need to be brought up to speed or educated on Tulane- it’s offense as well as it’s Dline. Who better do so than an elite university, I believe a clinic will be held on Thursday evening for all commuters of Houston high.

Roll Wave
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:53 pm How I wish Milton had played and UCF crush LSU.

As far as Houston, these seem to be more “casual” fans, while we are clearly the die hard. It sounds as if they need to be brought up to speed or educated on Tulane- it’s offense as well as it’s Dline. Who better do so than an elite university, I believe a clinic will be held on Thursday evening for all commuters of Houston high.

Roll Wave
I hope our play on the gridiron is what schools them about Tulane Football 2019.

ROLL WAVE ROLL!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I hope we have a good crowd for ESPN, I’m
just always worried about Thursday night game turn outs
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:49 pm I hope we have a good crowd for ESPN, I’m
just always worried about Thursday night game turn outs
I don't care if we only draw 5000 fans. I also don't give a damn if the Green helmets are not the exact tone of the Green jerseys. They look fine on TV.

JUST WIN! THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.

ROLL WAVE!
winwave
Top of the WAVE