Houston Game

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

On the YOGWF forum, "Poseidon says
Since...the last time we played them last November which was basically for the CUSA west title.
Then, one of their mods, Johnny Mac, says:
I'd say the biggest game since the Navy game last year... that was a win or go home game.. this one doesn't have THAT particular fate attached, but winning this game is very important for our chances at a CUSA west division title.
WAKE UP, YOGGIES! We've been out of CUSA for four freaking years!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I know the news outlets need to sell papers and their tool of choice is hyperbole and sensationalism. But is this game really a “watershed” moment ? Is this truly a must win ? I think it is neither. Yes it would give us momentum, and is A big piece in winning the west. But honestly if I had to choose one I’d rather beat Memphis. And Beating UCF would have a far bigger impact on us from a national perspective and as a program. Auburn could have been a signature win and program changer. UCF might be that too. We are actually favored against houston. Now don’t get me wrong, I want this game bad, and I hope we win every game but I don’t think it’s a Watershed moment. Many of of the narratives talk about us beating houston and than beating army. . . Which will be a game we won’t be favored in and army may be a top 25 team at that point. Regardless, let’s go kick some ass and win each game moving forward

Roll wave
OUG
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:32 pm I know the news outlets need to sell papers and their tool of choice is hyperbole and sensationalism. But is this game really a “watershed” moment ? Is this truly a must win ? I think it is neither. Yes it would give us momentum, and is A big piece in winning the west. But honestly if I had to choose one I’d rather beat Memphis. And Beating UCF would have a far bigger impact on us from a national perspective and as a program. Auburn could have been a signature win and program changer. UCF might be that too. We are actually favored against houston. Now don’t get me wrong, I want this game bad, and I hope we win every game but I don’t think it’s a Watershed moment. Many of of the narratives talk about us beating houston and than beating army. . . Which will be a game we won’t be favored in and army may be a top 25 team at that point. Regardless, let’s go kick some ass and win each game moving forward

Roll wave
I think it has a lot to do with the way the season sets up for us. We are 2-1. We get this game at home. Army is tough but we match up probably better with them than all but 10 or 15 teams because of 1) our experience defending the option, 2) the bye week to prepare, and 3) Jeffrey Johnson. Then UConn. So then we are *potentially* looking at going into that Memphis game 5-1.

And the Memphis game is on the road so we are probably unlikely to win. Allowing for a loss at home to UCF who we will be 10 pt dogs against, and that is 6-2 at best (btw Tulsa, SMU, and Navy all look better this year too)

If we want to have the season we all hoped we could have, if we want to compete for the conference title, this is a game that we have to win, midweek at home. Every game matters, but this is a biggie.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This is absolutely a big game for the program. They were picked above us in our Division. If things have really changed and we are going to have a special season it starts here. No sense in trying to downplay it. It's big.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

This is also Houston’s fourth game in 18 days.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 pm This is absolutely a big game for the program. They were picked above us in our Division. If things have really changed and we are going to have a special season it starts here. No sense in trying to downplay it. It's big.
The beating we put on FIU, and toughness we showed against Auburn shows that things have changed around here. We are flowing in the right direction under Fritz.

We made a statement to the G5 world with our week 1 performance. We showed that it will take more than an average G5 program to beat us this year. That’s the only reason why we are the favorite vs the Cougars. Now, we have a chance to show our conference that we mean business. Houston fans are very worried for good reason. They have seen worst Tulane teams sneak in wins vs them.
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 pm This is absolutely a big game for the program. They were picked above us in our Division. If things have really changed and we are going to have a special season it starts here. No sense in trying to downplay it. It's big.
Absolutely it's big. There's a ton of buzz on Twitter this week. Lots of people buying tickets that haven't in awhile, especially with the new lower food and ticket pricing. Houston's had a lot of national attention the last few years: they beat OU and Louisville a couple of years ago, they've been ranked a lot, the Tom Herman years, Holgerson moving from P5 to G5, etc. Its a program that the casual fan is aware of and perceives as a very good team. A win here to go 3-1 would open a lot of people's eyes.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:57 am
The beating we put on FIU, and toughness we showed against Auburn shows that things have changed around here. We are flowing in the right direction under Fritz.

We made a statement to the G5 world with our week 1 performance. We showed that it will take more than an average G5 program to beat us this year. That’s the only reason why we are the favorite vs the Cougars. Now, we have a chance to show our conference that we mean business. Houston fans are very worried for good reason. They have seen worst Tulane teams sneak in wins vs them.
That will all be meaningless if we lose to Houston this week. This is a big game for the program. 2-2 would put us back in the middle of the pack. 3-1 makes a statement.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I know us die hards see it the way you said in your first paragraph. Truth is FIU is not proving to be much this year. As to Auburn we showed toughness but our offense was putrid. Last year against a bad Houston D our offense got embarrassed. That's why I say this is the game where we can show that things really have changed not just to us but to the casual fan and the local media.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:16 am

That will all be meaningless if we lose to Houston this week. This is a big game for the program. 2-2 would put us back in the middle of the pack. 3-1 makes a statement.
+1.
ccap05
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:32 pm I know the news outlets need to sell papers and their tool of choice is hyperbole and sensationalism. But is this game really a “watershed” moment ? Is this truly a must win ? I think it is neither. Yes it would give us momentum, and is A big piece in winning the west. But honestly if I had to choose one I’d rather beat Memphis. And Beating UCF would have a far bigger impact on us from a national perspective and as a program. Auburn could have been a signature win and program changer. UCF might be that too. We are actually favored against houston. Now don’t get me wrong, I want this game bad, and I hope we win every game but I don’t think it’s a Watershed moment. Many of of the narratives talk about us beating houston and than beating army. . . Which will be a game we won’t be favored in and army may be a top 25 team at that point. Regardless, let’s go kick some ass and win each game moving forward

Roll wave
I think we can all agree that it will be Tulane's biggest game of the week.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

ccap05 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:01 am

Roll wave
I think we can all agree that it will be Tulane's biggest game of the week.
Haha! Yes we can def agree on that. It is a big game because its this weeks opponent who is a conference rival at home that is perceived to be good. Roll Wave
squilz
Low Tide

Snowball effect. A win here shows we're able to really match up with the top programs in the conference. People are watching now after the beatdown on FIU and an okay showing against Auburn. A win really announces our presence as a top dog in AAC.
galvezwave
Swell

To me , it’s big because we’ve been 2-1 a million times with the same schedule. This is where we normally get exposed for what we really are. It would be nice if that exposure is on the opposite end of the stick.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:35 am To me , it’s big because we’ve been 2-1 a million times with the same schedule. This is where we normally get exposed for what we really are. It would be nice if that exposure is on the opposite end of the stick.
Exactly. It’s “Show Me” prime time!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Any update on ticket sales?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mandeville Wave wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:33 pm Any update on ticket sales?
I just bought 30 seats at 5.00 dollars each to be distributed
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:35 pm
Mandeville Wave wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:33 pm Any update on ticket sales?
I just bought 30 seats at 5.00 dollars each to be distributed
Awesome! We are bringing 4 people that haven’t attended a game in a LONG time. Hopefully we can get a respectable crowd.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If we don't win this game, our next 3 or 4 games, regardless of the outcome will not be noticed by most college football fans. Seriously, at 2-2, we're an afterthought. At 3-1, we're contenders. It's that big of a game. Even if we lose in OT, we're a middle of the pack G5 team. An afterthought.

It is a MUST win game.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

It's a very big game for our program, and for certain of our individual players. Time to step up and execute.

I wonder when Houston's team will try to depart for N.O., considering that Imelda has now grabbed hold of Houston (aka Flood City).
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

If we go 2-2 no one will care . . . Until we beat a top 25 Army team away. They are all must win. UConn is must win . . .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Partial Reveal:

Obviously a special helmet for this one.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

What are we thinking the helmet will be ? Bacon wave ? All white Jumbo angry wave ? All blue jumbo angry wave ? Jumbo Bacon wave ? I would be a huge fan of any of these