Old School College Football - The Washington Examiner

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Fun read and very favorable for Tulane:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... v2NJOEijww

galvezwave
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:36 pm Fun read and very favorable for Tulane:

I like where his heads at, but in all honesty it’s the same size crowd as we had in the dome . But it wouldn’t fit the narrative i guess. But I do think the idea will work. We just haven’t been good enough to find out. Everything could change this weekend. Or everything could stay the same .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:50 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:36 pm Fun read and very favorable for Tulane:

I like where his heads at, but in all honesty it’s the same size crowd as we had in the dome . But it wouldn’t fit the narrative i guess. But I do think the idea will work. We just haven’t been good enough to find out. Everything could change this weekend. Or everything could stay the same .
I felt like the article came to an abrupt end. There should have been a few more paragraphs is how it seemed to me.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:55 pm
galvezwave wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:50 pm

I felt like the article came to an abrupt end. There should have been a few more paragraphs is how it seemed to me.

I saw several people on Twitter and on FB make the same comment.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

A nice article but the Dome was never our problem. How many of us complained about the Dome for 97 & 98 seasons? And, most of the people on this board were there at the Dome for 97 & 98. Under Bowden/RR we filled the plaza & loge levels. The atmosphere was just fine and the students made the approximate 4 mile trip from campus to the Dome. Our problem all along was Scott Cowen. Cowen refused to pay a div. 1 salary for our coach - Scelfo 350k to start, Toledo 450k and CJ 650k - making a quality hire impossible and maintained Eamon Kelly’s senseless “Tulane Model.” Under different leadership the Dome could have been a plus for Tulane football. We have yet to return to where our fan base was for the 97 & 98 seasons at the Dome - approximately 25,000 and building.

The author of the very nice article before beginning to write apparently drank a couple of large pitchers of Cow/Dick Kool-Aid. Yulman can be made to work, but the Dome was never our problem.
BC Wave
Swell

That was a very good introduction. Just needed more meat to tell the Fritz/Tulane story.

And don’t you remember how TB talked about”squinting your eyes” so it looked like there were filled stands in the dome?
nawlinspete
Riptide

Hopefully our local fish wrap reprints .

Why is the local fish wrap incapable of Tulane articles not tied to a game or coach or player ?

Is our local fishwrap oblivious to our role in the well being of our local economy ( as opposed to the minimal role that Red Stick plays ) ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
wave97
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:09 pm A nice article but the Dome was never our problem. How many of us complained about the Dome for 97 & 98 seasons? And, most of the people on this board were there at the Dome for 97 & 98. Under Bowden/RR we filled the plaza & loge levels. The atmosphere was just fine and the students made the approximate 4 mile trip from campus to the Dome. Our problem all along was Scott Cowen. Cowen refused to pay a div. 1 salary for our coach - Scelfo 350k to start, Toledo 450k and CJ 650k - making a quality hire impossible and maintained Eamon Kelly’s senseless “Tulane Model.” Under different leadership the Dome could have been a plus for Tulane football. We have yet to return to where our fan base was for the 97 & 98 seasons at the Dome - approximately 25,000 and building.

The author of the very nice article before beginning to write apparently drank a couple of large pitchers of Cow/Dick Kool-Aid. Yulman can be made to work, but the Dome was never our problem.
Completely agree. Hire talent and watch it grow. What a concept?
Build a west side expansion on Yulman and wrap it to the north & south. The current television optics makes Yulman look like a small high school stadium. Thank you NIMBY's! Your actions will ultimately bring about what you fear the most.
Good job :beathead:
squilz
Low Tide

Wave755 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:09 pm The author of the very nice article before beginning to write apparently drank a couple of large pitchers of Cow/Dick Kool-Aid. Yulman can be made to work, but the Dome was never our problem.
I'm afraid the halo effect around cowen will never fade, at this point. Last week I overheard a Kid sitting in the row ahead of me in the young alumni section say to a visitor Cowen made the stadium and thus, our current upward trajectory possible. Took a lot of willpower to bite my tongue right there..
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

squilz wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:29 am
Wave755 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:09 pm The author of the very nice article before beginning to write apparently drank a couple of large pitchers of Cow/Dick Kool-Aid. Yulman can be made to work, but the Dome was never our problem.
I'm afraid the halo effect around cowen will never fade, at this point. Last week I overheard a Kid sitting in the row ahead of me in the young alumni section say to a visitor Cowen made the stadium and thus, our current upward trajectory possible. Took a lot of willpower to bite my tongue right there..
You have a stronger will than I!

I tell everyone about the horror that was the Cowen administration. I almost went to an event last year at the NYC Alumni where he was speaking just to ask him about the $15-20 million deficit his admin ran and hid from accountants his last few years. Or how badly he mis-read the tea leaves with regards to getting Tulane into a P5 conference in the wake of our 1998 season. His lack of building the endowment, failing to complete paperwork that lead to a big drop in USN&WR rankings, and more! I feared that had I gone to the event, I might have been taken out in handcuffs.

I not only despise the man, I think he's the worst thing that ever happened to Tulane.
RobertM320
Green Wave

You probably shouldn't bite your tongue. They need to be corrected so they know the truth.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
squilz
Low Tide

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:24 pm
You probably shouldn't bite your tongue. They need to be corrected so they know the truth.
I've tried to be that guy before, more hassle than it's worth. 90 percent of students post-katrina,(100 if we're just counting out-of-state kids) think this way. I was class of 2017, my classmates ADORED him. To be fair, I understand why an outsider with a surface level understanding of post-2005 tulane/nola would like him, but now these kids have graduated, taken jobs in admissions, alumni offices, everywhere front facing in the university, and spoon-feed the same shpeal to the next wave of outsiders.
Wave755
Tsunami

One thing we can know with near "metaphysical certitude," if Scott Cowen were still our president, Willie Fritz would not be our coach.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I met a Tulane alumnae a few years ago that played volleyball for the Wave. We were at a BBQ and Blues festival. She despised both Cowen and Dickson, who were still at Tulane at the time. It was refreshing to hear from a relatively young alumnae that she had the same take on Cow/Dick that most of us here have.
QuinHillyer
Trickle

For those who thought the little piece here ended abruptly.... I agree. And I'm the one who wrote it! Alas, I had at least 1,500 words of good material but a 600-word limit. Even after I eliminated a whole lot of good stuff, I still was at 690 words. Those last 90 words were really tough to cut. I did the best I could within the word limit. I'm glad y'all enjoyed the rest of the piece!
RobertM320
Green Wave

QuinHillyer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:09 pm For those who thought the little piece here ended abruptly.... I agree. And I'm the one who wrote it! Alas, I had at least 1,500 words of good material but a 600-word limit. Even after I eliminated a whole lot of good stuff, I still was at 690 words. Those last 90 words were really tough to cut. I did the best I could within the word limit. I'm glad y'all enjoyed the rest of the piece!
Quin, any chance you could share the entire article with us? And I see you also brought up Tulane football again in another piece today. We appreciate the coverage.
Wave755
Tsunami

QuinHillyer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:09 pm For those who thought the little piece here ended abruptly.... I agree. And I'm the one who wrote it! Alas, I had at least 1,500 words of good material but a 600-word limit. Even after I eliminated a whole lot of good stuff, I still was at 690 words. Those last 90 words were really tough to cut. I did the best I could within the word limit. I'm glad y'all enjoyed the rest of the piece!
The reference in my post above to "Cow/Dick" Kool-Aid concerns former Tulane president Scott Cowen & former Tulane A D Rick Dickson. Beginning with the disasterous decision not to hire Richard Rodriguez as head coach in 1998 in replacement of Tommy Bowden who had left for Clemson, we were then told for the next 16 years "all is well and just keep drinking the Kool-Aid." The years 1999 to 2014 were a nightmare for Tulane football fans with president Scott Cowen even attempting to end football at Tulane in 2003, pre-Katrina, I remind you. The reported attendance for last Thursday's FIU game was 16,361, considered by most to be a "tickets distributed" number, rather than scanner count.

I enjoyed reading your article but all is hardly rosy for Tulane football for the immediate post-Cowen era. Most consider our present upswing for competitiveness to be the product of hiring a "real coach," Willie Fritz, and having nothing to do whatsoever with a 30,000 "capacity" on campus football stadium.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:24 pm
The reference in my post above to "Cow/Dick" Kool-Aid concerns former Tulane president Scott Cowen & former Tulane A D Rick Dickson. Beginning with the disasterous decision not to hire Richard Rodriguez as head coach in 1998 in replacement of Tommy Bowden who had left for Clemson, we were then told for the next 16 years "all is well and just keep drinking the Kool-Aid." The years 1999 to 2014 were a nightmare for Tulane football fans with president Scott Cowen even attempting to end football at Tulane in 2003, pre-Katrina, I remind you. The reported attendance for last Thursday's FIU game was 16,361, considered by most to be a "tickets distributed" number, rather than scanner count.

I enjoyed reading your article but all is hardly rosy for Tulane football for the immediate post-Cowen era. Most consider our present upswing for competitiveness to be the product of hiring a "real coach," Willie Fritz, and having nothing to do whatsoever with a 30,000 "capacity" on campus football stadium.
Well said 755.
DrBox
Riptide

Enjoyed the articles. Thanks!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Quinn,

I too would LOVE if you posted the long version in this thread. I don't want you to get in trouble with copywrite stuff, but if you're allowed, please know we all would welcome the post.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:24 pm

I'm with you. Also to make it clear to Quinn the stadium seats 22,660 and has a capacity that is at best 25,000. The 30,000 number was just a Dickson fiction.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Who is Quinn Hillyer? Click on to the below links to find out: :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quin_Hillyer

https://twitter.com/quinhillyer
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Quin's latest Tulane related article:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... h-get-away

Clearly, Harbaugh was one of the last interviews right before Cow/Dick hired Toledo. We weren't on him for a month or more.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As I said before I had a relative on the Board at that time also. With all due respect to him he is glorifying a beloved family member.Many saw the IT factor with Harbaugh and he was who they wanted. It became clear early on that he wanted the Stanford job but hadn't been offered. It went on long enough for camps to have formed with some saying we had to move on and others saying he was worth the wait. Basketball season was in progress and I can recall the arguments among those in each camp.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

Cowen was terrible but Rufus Harris with his deemphasis doomed Tulane athletics in the 50’s, then Rix yard piled on in the 60’s by dropping out of the SEC.