Old School College Football - The Washington Examiner

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:18 pm Cowen was terrible but Rufus Harris with his deemphasis doomed Tulane athletics in the 50’s, then Rix yard piled on in the 60’s by dropping out of the SEC.
+1,000,000.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

squilz wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:29 am
Wave755 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:09 pm The author of the very nice article before beginning to write apparently drank a couple of large pitchers of Cow/Dick Kool-Aid. Yulman can be made to work, but the Dome was never our problem.
I'm afraid the halo effect around cowen will never fade, at this point. Last week I overheard a Kid sitting in the row ahead of me in the young alumni section say to a visitor Cowen made the stadium and thus, our current upward trajectory possible. Took a lot of willpower to bite my tongue right there..
I don’t know about any halo effect. But he sure left a Stench Effect. We’re still trying to clear the air.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

Ironically, when I was at Tulane many of our older faculty spoke "nostalgically" about Rufus Harris, no kidding. They argued Harris elevated Tulane to elite academic status and then Tulane really screwed up for hiring as his replacement Herbert E. Longenecker, Most faculty when I was at Tulane couldn't have cared less about athletics. And remember, we left the SEC in 1966 under Longenecker, but Harris is the one who really destroyed athletics at Tulane.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:34 am Ironically, when I was at Tulane many of our older faculty spoke "nostalgically" about Rufus Harris, no kidding. They argued Harris elevated Tulane to elite academic status and then Tulane really screwed up for hiring as his replacement Herbert E. Longenecker, Most faculty when I was at Tulane couldn't have cared less about athletics. And remember, we left the SEC in 1966 under Longenecker, but Harris is the one who really destroyed athletics at Tulane.
I was class of '85. Many profs openly mocked Tulane athletics, particularly the football team. And we had a pretty good team my first two years (beat LSU in 81 and 82.) A math prof I had was particularly brutal, making up test questions about the Wave's chances of winning. There were players in the class. It pissed me off then and does now just thinking back on it!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V