USA Today Top 25 Coaches Poll

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

September 3, 2019 - Tulane receives 4 votes

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/p ... ches-poll/

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good to hear. Though I thought it was too early for that type of talk. :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:15 pm September 3, 2019 - Tulane receives 4 votes

I think it's great that we got 4 votes. Let's see how we do this week and if we can up the count. This week means a whole lot more than the FIU game. We're not playing to get votes, we're playing to win the damned ball game. If we get blown out, we're not getting any votes. If we win, we're probably close to, if not in the top 25. But I still think we need to focus on this game and not get ahead of ourselves, as winwave pointed out.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:56 pm Good to hear. Though I thought it was too early for that type of talk. :mrgreen:
Oh, totally too early. But we were all 21 years younger the last time we were ever a thought in the polls so I'll take it :mrgreen:
Roll Wave!
Wave755
Tsunami

Jeff Sagarin has us now ranked 69. https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Sagarin has us 3rd in the AAC West behind Memphis & Houston and 5th overall for our conference. https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/s ... onference/
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Everyone is focused on the game. The possibility of winning it has people also talking about ranking possibilities. Justifiably so.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:15 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:56 pm Good to hear. Though I thought it was too early for that type of talk. :mrgreen:
Oh, totally too early. But we were all 21 years younger the last time we were ever a thought in the polls so I'll take it :mrgreen:
Steve,

I think you're drastically underestimating the average age of the posters on this forum.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:31 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:15 pm
Steve,

I think you're drastically underestimating the average age of the posters on this forum.
I said we were ALL 21 years YOUNGER ;)
Roll Wave!
ajcalhoun
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:31 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:15 pm But we were all 21 years younger the last time we were ever a thought in the polls so I'll take it
Steve,

God Bless Everyone!
ajcalhoun
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:49 pm I said we were ALL 21 years YOUNGER ;)

The older guys may appreciate this.
God Bless Everyone!
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:13 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:15 pm September 3, 2019 - Tulane receives 4 votes

I think it's great that we got 4 votes. Let's see how we do this week and if we can up the count. This week means a whole lot more than the FIU game. We're not playing to get votes, we're playing to win the damned ball game. If we get blown out, we're not getting any votes. If we win, we're probably close to, if not in the top 25. But I still think we need to focus on this game and not get ahead of ourselves, as winwave pointed out.
Another post that says nothing from Captain Obvious ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

My bad, Steve. I thought you said 21 years OLD OR younger!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Obviously very happy for the players and coaches. The only problem is that this may open up the Auburn players eyes that this isn’t the same old Tulane so they won’t overlock us. For instance, I had been reading some Auburn boards before this poll and they acted like the Tulane game was no different then the usual buy game, basically a glorified scrimmage. On the flip side, maybe this will also give TU some confidence. I just hope we, at a min, keep it competitive.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 am Obviously very happy for the players and coaches. The only problem is that this may open up the Auburn players eyes that this isn’t the same old Tulane so they won’t overlock us. For instance, I had been reading some Auburn boards before this poll and they acted like the Tulane game was no different then the usual buy game, basically a glorified scrimmage. On the flip side, maybe this will also give TU some confidence. I just hope we, at a min, keep it competitive.
It's kind of silly at this point, but it is nice that the program got a smidgen of recognition. But debating about whether we play a close game and lose gets us more or less votes, or how high we'd be ranked if we pulled off the huge upset is, IMHO, a waste of time right now. Go out and win the damned game!

I'm hoping we play well win, lose or draw, and we'll have a lot more to talk about after playing a top opponent. It's been a long time since we've been competitive against a ranked team, and last week certainly gives us all hope. If we play well we will know what we can accomplish. If we pull a typical Tulane "Lucy pulled the ball away again" game, we learn little or nothing at all. They "Showed Me" something last week. Is 2 weeks in a row too much to ask?

ROLL WAVE!
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:41 pm

Another troll post from you I see.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I believe you can see how the coaches voted. Can’t remember where but it’s available if you know where to look. One year there was a close vote on number one and they published how each coach voted.

Here’s an older article on it
http://espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/9 ... today-poll
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Butch Davis is a vote as well. So, it could have been two coaches at 24, or even Davis voting at #22. His team did just get manhandled by us.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:17 am Butch Davis is a vote as well. So, it could have been two coaches at 24, or even Davis voting at #22. His team did just get manhandled by us.
Does he?

Who does not?

One of the articles said the coaches poll is 65 coaches. There's 130 FBS teams. So half the coaches don't vote.
RobertM320
Green Wave

The Amway Board of Coaches is made up of 65 head coaches at Bowl Subdivision schools. All are members of the American Football Coaches Association. The board for the 2019 season: Chris Ash, Rutgers; Dino Babers, Syracuse; Craig Bohl, Wyoming; Jeff Brohm, Purdue; Neal Brown, West Virginia; Troy Calhoun, Air Force; Steve Campbell, South Alabama; Rod Carey, Temple; Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina; Geoff Collins, Georgia Tech; David Cutcliffe, Duke; Mark Dantonio, Michigan State; Butch Davis, Florida International; Ryan Day, Ohio State; Manny Diaz, Miami (Fla.); Dana Dimel, Texas-El Paso; Dave Doeren, North Carolina State; Sonny Dykes, Southern Methodist; Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M; Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern; James Franklin, Penn State; Hugh Freeze, Liberty; Willie Fritz, Tulane; Scott Frost, Nebraska; Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech; Thomas Hammock, Northern Illinois; Bryan Harsin, Boise State; Clay Helton, Southern California; Tyson Helton, Western Kentucky; Tom Herman, Texas; Doc Holliday, Marshall; Jay Hopson, Southern Mississippi; Mike Houston, East Carolina; Mike Leach, Washington State; Lance Leipold, Buffalo; Tim Lester, Western Michigan; Chip Lindsey, Troy; Seth Littrell, North Texas; Scot Loeffler, Bowling Green; Rocky Long, San Diego State; Chad Lunsford, Georgia Southern; Gus Malzahn, Auburn; Chuck Martin, Miami (Ohio); Doug Martin, New Mexico State; Jeff Monken, Army; Phillip Montgomery, Tulsa; Dan Mullen, Florida; Ken Niumatalolo, Navy; Ed Orgeron, LSU; Gary Patterson, TCU; Chris Petersen, Washington; Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee; Matt Rhule, Baylor; Nick Saban, Alabama; Tony Sanchez, UNLV; Kirby Smart, Georgia; Jonathan Smith, Oregon State; Frank Solich, Ohio; Jake Spavital, Texas State; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee; Kevin Sumlin, Arizona; Dabo Swinney, Clemson; Jeff Tedford, Fresno State; Matt Wells, Texas Tech; Kyle Whittingham, Utah.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thanks, 320!
ccap05
Surge

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:41 pm

Pete- I bet you don't get invited to a lot of .parties.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Back to 3 votes in the coach’s poll !