Attendance

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
galvezwave
Swell

While I do believe Tulane can and will draw nice crowds under the right circumstances that we’ve gone over a thousand times. The sparse attendance around the country is worth noting. Sec stadiums. Mack browns return in a rivalry game. Lots of empty seats around the country. With virtually 100% television access, Seems like people are more comfortable staying home now days.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's the cost that keeps people away. The prices between ticket cost, mandatory fee to sit in seats and concession prices. Fans want to be there. When they can't afford it they stay home and watch on TV.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:28 pm It's the cost that keeps people away. The prices between ticket cost, mandatory fee to sit in seats and concession prices. Fans want to be there. When they can't afford it they stay home and watch on TV.
All the people I know that don’t go can afford it if they wanted to. I agree about milking the season ticket holders with the bs fees and licensing
RobertM320
Green Wave

I know I saw part of the Northwestern at Stanford game today and the probably didn't have but 30K there at the most. Upper decks were mostly empty as well as the corners. Even the sidelines between 0-20 were pretty sparse.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Dupergreenie
Surge

I was explaining to my dad (he isn't exactly a sports fan) about 'donating to the TAF' even after you buy the season tickets. I probably could have explained astrophysics in Latin to him easier than donating to TAF.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

galvezwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:49 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:28 pm It's the cost that keeps people away. The prices between ticket cost, mandatory fee to sit in seats and concession prices. Fans want to be there. When they can't afford it they stay home and watch on TV.
All the people I know that don’t go can afford it if they wanted to. I agree about milking the season ticket holders with the bs fees and licensing
I can afford it but the cost vs value isn’t there. Hell I pass on Saints tics all the time. Traffic, parking, no thanks.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

All posts above are on point. The truth is interest and attendance has been falling for several years. Lots of big stadiums with lots of empty seats. Costs are an issue, but the Millennials just don’t care that much about football. They are into video games, soccer, Formula 1 racing, and hanging out. They think they are doing their team a favor by staying through the first half.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I still haven't been to the new Giants stadium (MetLife Stadium, 10th season) because of the traffic, costs of parking, costs of concessions, etc. At my age it's a whole lot easier to watch on my couch than it is enjoyable to fight the traffic and crowds. I'll take my boys to West Point, and maybe to Annapolis or Temple, but I'm not going to get into all that Giants game day BS even though I love the NFL. In general, having more and more TV coverage has made it easier for a fan to stay home whether its NCAA or professional sports.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll have to agree to disagree. REAL FANS WANT TO BE THERE. THEY JUST CAN'T AFFORD IT ANYMORE. Schools and NFL teams don't get it. They keep adding very expensive things under the guise of this is what the fans want yet those things are expensive. Yet they don't understand why fans stop coming. As much as we hate Atlanta the Atlanta owner was the first to lower prices. With the money the TV contracts bring in there is no reason to rape the fans.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Its all of the above issues but clearly, its true that the students particularly at schools like
Tulane just do not care about football and I
do not think that will ever change though there will
be a few more in the seats if we win consistently. Its just plain disappointing to see how few
turned out for the opener.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
MicMan
Swell

Good thing Tulane built a small stadium! Ahead of the curve!
sader24
Tsunami

Attendance will always be rough in an age when you can watch every game in the country from the comfort of your home. Especially in August in the South when it’s 90 degrees plus. Also, schools across the country have made it too tough financially and logistically to attend games while trying to cash in on the popularity of college football. The people I talked to that went Thursday all had a good time. All you can do is present an enjoyable, affordable experience and field a good football team and let the chips fall where they may. We lost fans to the Saints game but what can you do about that. Also we need more publicity, there were a number of people in this city who didn’t know we were even playing.
sader24
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:44 pm
We'll have to agree to disagree. REAL FANS WANT TO BE THERE. THEY JUST CAN'T AFFORD IT ANYMORE. Schools and NFL teams don't get it. They keep adding very expensive things under the guise of this is what the fans want yet those things are expensive. Yet they don't understand why fans stop coming. As much as we hate Atlanta the Atlanta owner was the first to lower prices. With the money the TV contracts bring in there is no reason to rape the fans.
I won’t purchase season tickets unless I can purchase them in good seats. I have Saints season tickets, I’m in section 523. It’s around $1000 per ticket for 8 regular season games. The same seat at Yulman in the terrace is $875 with the mandatory fee for 5 regular season games (I consider the stupid FCS game a preseason just like nfl preseason). I’m paying less for Saints season tickets than I would for Yulman season tickets per game. I’m never going to go to the FCS game. I don’t understand why we play it. We aren’t in the SEC, we need every attractive opponent we can get. I bought my tickets Thursday on stubhub bc Tulane won’t sell single game tickets in the Terrace even though there were probably 2000 plus empty seats up there.
greenie78
Riptide

I don't think it's all about the costs. It plays a role, but it's the entire hassle of going to a game compared to watching it at home comfortably. Parking sucks, long bathroom lines, concession stands, the view from the stands isn't great, the seats aren't entirely comfortably, and then add in the prices and it's just not worth going all the time. And i'm talking about going to a Saints or LSU game (Tiger stadium is a dump). My favorite experience last season was going to Yulman, especially with a family of 5.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:22 pm I know I saw part of the Northwestern at Stanford game today and the probably didn't have but 30K there at the most. Upper decks were mostly empty as well as the corners. Even the sidelines between 0-20 were pretty sparse.
the issue with attendance at that game, was time in which it was played on the west coast
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
MicMan
Swell

There's an independent minor league baseball team 1/2 hour from me (and a half-hour from NYC) that has a good thing going for years now, FREE ample parking, ticket prices designed to contrast with pro sports, kid-friendly stadium (with some lawn seating), a variety of quality food and beverage reasonably priced, frequent promotions, on-field fan participation between innings, party deck, game suites available for parties, and a competitive product on the field every year without an MLB affiliation. On-field autograph sessions every Sunday before games, frequent guest autograph/photo events with local heroes (such as 1969 Mets including former NOLA sportscaster Ron Swoboda). The stadium has a long term sponsorship deal with TD Bank and there is a wait list to advertise on the double height outfield wall. Easy access via three major interstates as well as a commuter rail stop at the stadium. It's a great experience for a family or adults especially during the day, and it's been that way for going on 20 years even as minor league baseball's novelty has waned in this region. It's a franchise but similar to football schools in a conference. Just an example in principle Tulane can take cues from.
greenie78
Riptide

sader24 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:34 am
I won’t purchase season tickets unless I can purchase them in good seats. I have Saints season tickets, I’m in section 523. It’s around $1000 per ticket for 8 regular season games. The same seat at Yulman in the terrace is $875 with the mandatory fee for 5 regular season games (I consider the stupid FCS game a preseason just like nfl preseason). I’m paying less for Saints season tickets than I would for Yulman season tickets per game. I’m never going to go to the FCS game. I don’t understand why we play it. We aren’t in the SEC, we need every attractive opponent we can get. I bought my tickets Thursday on stubhub bc Tulane won’t sell single game tickets in the Terrace even though there were probably 2000 plus empty seats up there.
When you get Saints season tickets, you’re also paying for the preseason games as well. And the 500 level seats aren’t great views.
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:57 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:22 pm I know I saw part of the Northwestern at Stanford game today and the probably didn't have but 30K there at the most. Upper decks were mostly empty as well as the corners. Even the sidelines between 0-20 were pretty sparse.
the issue with attendance at that game, was time in which it was played on the west coast
Boo hoo for the West Coasters. 1:30pm kickoff is a bad time for a game? West Coast fans haven't a clue. I've seen them complain because they have to go to games that kickoff at 7pm. They'd prefer 5pm so they can get home by 10. Guess it doesn't dawn on them that the MAJORITY of college football night games in the REST OF THE COUNTRY start at 6 or 7pm, so we're always getting home late.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

Compliments to greenie78 , we need every attractive opponent we can get . I`Il add home and away .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:28 am Attendance will always be rough in an age when you can watch every game in the country from the comfort of your home. Especially in August in the South when it’s 90 degrees plus. Also, schools across the country have made it too tough financially and logistically to attend games while trying to cash in on the popularity of college football. The people I talked to that went Thursday all had a good time. All you can do is present an enjoyable, affordable experience and field a good football team and let the chips fall where they may. We lost fans to the Saints game but what can you do about that. Also we need more publicity, there were a number of people in this city who didn’t know we were even playing.
sader as to how we can avoid going up against the Saints is easy. We can schedule the game on Saturday night. The last Saints preseason game will always be on a Thursday. All teams now do that to get the extra time to prepare for the first game. So it is known to Tulane that they will be going up against the Saints whether the Saints are at home or on the road.
DrBox
Riptide

Yep - the Miss state./La @ Lafayette game in the superdome (the one people were freaking about) drew 22K.
20 or so teams and fanbases carry the water.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:25 am There's an independent minor league baseball team 1/2 hour from me (and a half-hour from NYC) that has a good thing going for years now, FREE ample parking, ticket prices designed to contrast with pro sports, kid-friendly stadium (with some lawn seating), a variety of quality food and beverage reasonably priced, frequent promotions, on-field fan participation between innings, party deck, game suites available for parties, and a competitive product on the field every year without an MLB affiliation. On-field autograph sessions every Sunday before games, frequent guest autograph/photo events with local heroes (such as 1969 Mets including former NOLA sportscaster Ron Swoboda). The stadium has a long term sponsorship deal with TD Bank and there is a wait list to advertise on the double height outfield wall. Easy access via three major interstates as well as a commuter rail stop at the stadium. It's a great experience for a family or adults especially during the day, and it's been that way for going on 20 years even as minor league baseball's novelty has waned in this region. It's a franchise but similar to football schools in a conference. Just an example in principle Tulane can take cues from.
Which team?

It cannot be the Bridgeport Bluefish. They're a whole lot longer drive than an 1/2 hour from NYC. Frankly, if you can make it in an hour and a half on most days, you're doing well. And I may be wrong, but I think they've played their last game ever.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:56 am
sader24 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:28 am Attendance will always be rough in an age when you can watch every game in the country from the comfort of your home. Especially in August in the South when it’s 90 degrees plus. Also, schools across the country have made it too tough financially and logistically to attend games while trying to cash in on the popularity of college football. The people I talked to that went Thursday all had a good time. All you can do is present an enjoyable, affordable experience and field a good football team and let the chips fall where they may. We lost fans to the Saints game but what can you do about that. Also we need more publicity, there were a number of people in this city who didn’t know we were even playing.
sader as to how we can avoid going up against the Saints is easy. We can schedule the game on Saturday night. The last Saints preseason game will always be on a Thursday. All teams now do that to get the extra time to prepare for the first game. So it is known to Tulane that they will be going up against the Saints whether the Saints are at home or on the road.
Yes for attendance. But playing your opener on Thursday gives the team and coaches a couple of extra preparation days and recovery time for a tough game 2 with (Auburn).
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It gives them recovery time but no extra practice time . The problem is we do it no matter what the next game is.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:56 am It gives them recovery time but no extra practice time . The problem is we do it no matter what the next game is.

But it gives the coaches 2 extra days after seeing the first real live action to determine exactly what they have and what adjustments need to be made. A good staff like Fritz has will make use of those two extra days.