Thoughts on new Play by Play voice?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Nm

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Show Me
Tsunami

Very professional but too generic. Couldn’t tell who was the home town team during the broadcast. He just may be better suited as a neutral national broadcaster. Just basing my opinion on this one game. He needs a signature call. Graf had many.
bbos1
Ripple

I thought he did pretty well. Good voice but he is no Graff. I suspect he will improve with time. Barrios spoke more than usual and did a very good job as analyst. I think we will be fine in the long run.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:29 am Very professional but too generic. Couldn’t tell who was the home town team during the broadcast. He just may be better suited as a neutral national broadcaster. Just basing my opinion on this one game. He needs a signature call. Graf had many.

Also, keep in mind he's only been here with Tulane less than a month. We're all expecting him to have the same emotional attachment of a guy like Graff who's entire life revolved around Tulane for decades. Give Andrew time. Techinally, he did an excellent job and was very polished and well prepared. The emotional attachment will come, if he falls in love with the city and wants to stay.

Better than than someone like the guy who did the TV PBP Thursday night. He was totally unprepared.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DrBox
Riptide

I thought he did a good job. I think if he used "wave" or "green wave" and not just "tulane" it would make him sound more like a home announcer. Here are the highlights....

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I only watched the highlights with his call. He lets the action take place then follows with the call. I like the way Graff would forecast the call.
I guess in time he may be able to do some of that. Like on Dauphine’s run for one. No one is going to catch him from behind. Graff probably would have giving you a heads up that “he may go all the way” call. Andrew calls the play as it happens. Overall a solid first game. Like DrBox said he’ll probably get to be a “homer” more as his career advances.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

He was technically perfect which is what you’d expect from a Syracuse communication school graduate. Agree that over time I’d like to see him become emotionally attached to the program. To be honest, I think he was a great hire who is so good technically, he may attract bigger programs up east sooner rather than later, maybe even a professional organization. Just my first impression.
wavemania
Surge

was late arriving to game. i was listening to the call on the way in. Thought he did great. My only critique is maybe tell us where the ball carrier was tackled at. Other than that, very good. We Know we will never get another Graff. I give him an A- for his first PBP..
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:47 am
Show Me wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:29 am Very professional but too generic. Couldn’t tell who was the home town team during the broadcast. He just may be better suited as a neutral national broadcaster. Just basing my opinion on this one game. He needs a signature call. Graf had many.

Also, keep in mind he's only been here with Tulane less than a month. We're all expecting him to have the same emotional attachment of a guy like Graff who's entire life revolved around Tulane for decades. Give Andrew time. Techinally, he did an excellent job and was very polished and well prepared. The emotional attachment will come, if he falls in love with the city and wants to stay.

Better than than someone like the guy who did the TV PBP Thursday night. He was totally unprepared.
+1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:52 am I thought he did a good job. I think if he used "wave" or "green wave" and not just "tulane" it would make him sound more like a home announcer. Here are the highlights....

Thanks for the link.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I didn’t listen during the game, but from the excerpts in this thread he sounds very good. His personal touches and emotional ties to Tulane will come with time. It’s always tough replacing a legend—which Graf was and is.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
torbida
Surge

Miss Graf's play by play style but he's doing good so far,esp. tonight's game he showed some emotion and he'll get better as he settles in.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Really missed Graff’s call with all the drama tonight. The new guy is very professional, but he doesn’t have the passion that a true Tulanian would have. Maybe after a couple of years it will grow on him.
Jaxwave
Swell

I would love to hear his calls of the big plays from this Houston game. I can just hear Graff on that last play. “Checkerboard, Checkerboooaaarrrdddd!!!! Tulane is gonna win! Tulane is gonna win!”
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:41 pm Really missed Graff’s call with all the drama tonight. The new guy is very professional, but he doesn’t have the passion that a true Tulanian would have. Maybe after a couple of years it will grow on him.
No doubt. Driving home they replayed the final TD and I missed Graff tremendously. Barrios did get a little emotional but Andrew remained a true professional with no emotion on the most exciting play we’ve had in years . 😞
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:56 pm I would love to hear his calls of the big plays from this Houston game. I can just hear Graff on that last play. “Checkerboard, Checkerboooaaarrrdddd!!!! Tulane is gonna win! Tulane is gonna win!”
THIS.

I wouldn't mind if the new guy stole the "Checkerboards" call from Graf. It was passionate and a great way to describe a Tulane Touchdown.

But we won. Be happy!!!

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

All I know is if I had been announcing that last TD play all you would have heard is silence. I was literally in ecstatic disbelief at what I had just seen. I couldn’t have thought of what to say.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:41 pm Really missed Graff’s call with all the drama tonight. The new guy is very professional, but he doesn’t have the passion that a true Tulanian would have. Maybe after a couple of years it will grow on him.
I hope this is the case. You're correct, he is very professional. However, it comes across to me almost as if he's doing play by play for a national broadcast. There's really no homerism at all. He needs to let his hair down a little and get emotional. He doesn't have to remain neutral. I heard more emotion on that last play from Pat McAfee.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Guy knows his stuff.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:41 am Guy knows his stuff.
I don't disagree with that. He's technically very good. But he sounds like a national play by play guy, who has to be neutral in his calls. I realize he doesn't have the vested emotion that we have, I just hope he relaxes and gets more vested as time goes by.
posse
High Tide

Tried to listen to broadcast at the stadium but his call is delayed to long. The play ends, and then his call starts. I have emailed him after each game, and he says the problem is fixed, but the problem still exist.

Had same problem with graf our first year in Yulman, but when I called his attention to it, he was able to shorten the delay. I try one last time to see if they can make the adjustment for those of us who like listening to the play by play in the stadium.
anEngineer
Riptide

You really have to wonder what the future is for radio broadcasts once it gets to where there is a TV/streaming option for all games (football and basketball).
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Why would you wonder about it. It's still here and many still listen. You do your thing and others do their's.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Graffs new boss at the pelicans had a great tweet along the lines of “Today, I have committed a great sin against mankind by preventing graff from calling this Tulane victory”

Apparently graff was sobbing in joy on the sidelines